Author Topic: Glucomannan noodles?  (Read 12522 times)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Glucomannan noodles?
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:06:22 pm »

I happened upon this site, for Miracle Noodle.
Basically these noodles have 0 carbs, 0 sugar, 0 protein, zero everything!
Only ingredients are: Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium additive.

The only thing these noodles have is fiber...
You can read about glucomannan here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucomannan

You can read about the noodle here: http://www.miraclenoodle.com/miracle-noodle-products.html

Pretty weird stuff, what do you guys think.
I never tried it but it would be cool to have a noodle made only of fiber, that doesn't affect you in any way, may be fun to try it with some raw sauce or in a salad...hmmm...anyone heard anything about these?

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Glucomannan noodles?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 06:57:13 pm »
I don't really care about stuff like this, I'd never eat it. It's garbage.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:09:52 pm by ForTheHunt »
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:29:27 am »
not sure, but have you seen these?

http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1001993
 - Kelp Noodles 12oz

they are very interesting texture, have a slightly positive over neutral taste, and are listed as all raw/natural.

I've enjoyed them, I'm coming up with a list of things I might try from this or another site and will probably have them again sometime in the near future.

Its true what they say there, those zucchini noodles things are a joke compared to this stuff, its really Asian-pasta like.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 01:31:23 am »
I don't really care about stuff like this, I'd never eat it. It's garbage.

Oh I know this is not for health or anything, I was just curious about a noodle that doesn't contain the usual crap, grains etc.

not sure, but have you seen these?
http://www.therawfoodworld.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1001993
 - Kelp Noodles 12oz
(.....)Its true what they say there, those zucchini noodles things are a joke compared to this stuff, its really Asian-pasta like.

Oooo kelp noodles, I didn't think of that, interesting. That sounds better then the noodles made of just fiber. heh heh

The reason I brought it up is I have been ITCHING to make Asian style dish for a long while now (as least cooked as I can but still tasting Asian-soup-like lol)...
This is not every-day thing obviously but once in a blue moon its a neat dish to make, maybe something to make for my family and eat with them as they miss my great dishes I used to make  -[

I could just make a regular noodle dish and say who cares for this one day but I REALLY don't want to consume any real noodles, I just know they will give me problems...and I really don't want to eat any grain flours. So I was thinking about the least damaging Asian-noodle dish I can make  :P

The raw vegetable noodles I never got the point of, the noodle is supposed to be long and rubbery, and you know, noodley.
You just cannot make a proper noodle with zuchini, all it feels like is a thinly shaved zuchini, a salad  l)

Maybe I can soak the noodles in warm water to soften them (I don't think either the kelp or the fiber noodles need any cooking they are too delicate for that)...Then I can add mushrooms and very thin little eggplant pieces that I marinated in sesame oil with jalapeno and a Shoyu, maybe just warm it up to very warm instead of cooking it, thats just one idea. Or add some raw honey to make a sweet and sour thing... This is more like and arts and crafts project for me, lol, but one that I have to eat.

BTW. If the noodle has zero taste its good, I don't need to have the taste come from the noodle as the sauce will have more then enough taste. The only thing the noodles are needed for are the undeniable noodle texture/consistency...If its like a tasteless rubber band even better ha ha

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:14:16 pm »
The raw vegetable noodles I never got the point of, the noodle is supposed to be long and rubbery, and you know, noodley.
You just cannot make a proper noodle with zuchini, all it feels like is a thinly shaved zuchini, a salad  l)
 - Kelp Noodles 12oz

they are very interesting texture, have a slightly positive over neutral taste, and are listed as all raw/natural.

I've enjoyed them, I'm coming up with a list of things I might try from this or another site and will probably have them again sometime in the near future.

Its true what they say there, those zucchini noodles things are a joke compared to this stuff

I tried raw zucchini "spaghetti" marinara at a vegan restaurant in BK.  They tasted awful.  It was plain spiralized zucchini with a marinara that tasted vinegary to me.  I hate vinegar taste.  I took a taste from a family member's plate at a vegan restaurant of a raw kelp noodle dish.  It tasted nice to me and I liked the texture too.   Tell us how it all comes out.  I bought some raw kelp noodles for dh.  I would love ideas on how to prepare it in the best ways.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 04:21:42 pm »
I happened upon this site, for Miracle Noodle.
Basically these noodles have 0 carbs, 0 sugar, 0 protein, zero everything!
Only ingredients are: Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium additive.

The only thing these noodles have is fiber...
You can read about glucomannan here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucomannan

You can read about the noodle here: http://www.miraclenoodle.com/miracle-noodle-products.html

Pretty weird stuff, what do you guys think.
I never tried it but it would be cool to have a noodle made only of fiber, that doesn't affect you in any way, may be fun to try it with some raw sauce or in a salad...hmmm...anyone heard anything about these?

I would try kelp noodles over the other sutff just cause I can't see something being 0 calories and tasty at the same time.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:21 am »
You know, I held back posting in this thread because I didn't want to come across too hardline but I guess that's inevitable. :)

Part of the heart and soul of true paleo is eschewing the processing of foods and favoring the whole foods. The recent increase of fractionating of food is a large part of mankind's current inevitable march towards collapse. I see something like these noodles, and their use within the paleo community, as a mockery of that.

If you really need noodles cut some seawood into long strands or something, just make sure it's a whole food.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 04:49:41 am »
You know, I held back posting in this thread because I didn't want to come across too hardline but I guess that's inevitable. :)

Part of the heart and soul of true paleo is eschewing the processing of foods and favoring the whole foods. The recent increase of fractionating of food is a large part of mankind's current inevitable march towards collapse. I see something like these noodles, and their use within the paleo community, as a mockery of that.

If you really need noodles cut some seawood into long strands or something, just make sure it's a whole food.

lol, no your not hardline, I know a noodle is completely not paleo...but few things....
I DO eschew processed/packaged foods, if I buy something like that it's once in a blue moon, and it only has one, max 2 ingredients, so who cares. Well some people do and thats fine they have a reason, but I personally see no point in avoiding something 100% - unless there is a particular health problem/allergy. The people that buy packaged crap as their DIET, every day, THOSE are the people we should worry about, they think its food lol and thats crazy.
As for me I just eat mostly paleo because it makes me feel good, thats all I care about for now concerning my diet ... every day my main food is raw animal foods, and raw plant foods, how is a little amount of kelp noodle going to affect a healthy person anyway? IMO no. If you are avoiding it for a more "paleo-political" reason I understand... But I am doing paleo for purely self-satisfactory reasons, like its become my instinct to eat this way. But I do random things always in my life that are out of the norm, so even if I am eating paleo I will do things out of the paleo-norm at times  ??? . So if you feel like I am mocking the community by doing this please do not feel that way because of my reason for eating paleo may be much different than yours. I had no intention of mockery whatsoever.
If you feel any subjects like this should not be posted about I will avoid it without issues as I don't want to break the rules or anything...  -X

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:37:36 am »

When I used to prepare/serve vegan mostly (as I don't think anything raw is official Macro) macrobiotic food as a chef (as opposed to when I made/served all raw vegan etc), I soaked packaged plain hijiki/arame, added a little sesame oil (or I'd toast and grind local sesame), sliver raw garden onions and local carrots.  It's kind of like a lo mein, but not cooked.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 07:51:30 am »
If you feel any subjects like this should not be posted about I will avoid it without issues as I don't want to break the rules or anything...  -X
I think it's OK to bring stuff like this up we just need to make sure it's posted in Hot Topics, which you did, and not encouraged as a true paleo food. :)

FWIW I believe part of my health problems, which led me to raw paleo, were as a direct result of the way the standard American diet is so inundated with processed foods. My quest for greater personal health eschews foods which are processed beyond killing & butchering.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 08:31:13 am »
hmm, well to me there seems to be a huge gap on the site for people transitioning to a RPD, or that don't fit into one of the single categories RZC, LC, Primal etc...

I dunno I think its better to stay away form the polarization of frutarian or ZIOH camps, as the reticent beliefs on either sides only prove that no one reallys knows what diet is best or what nutrients are essential. processing seems pretty clear cut but perhaps not. I've talked to alot of ex raw foodists that are highly in favor of certain kinds of processing, so for them its up in the air/case by case I guess. All traditional peoples processed some of their food (much of the techniques are lost) and by and large most kinds of things you are going to enter into starting with 100% natural ingredients is going to be far different than the kinds of crap foods eaten 3x daily for a previous lifetime, so a certain level, some stuff is just a drop in the pale.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:40:27 am »
What traditional peoples did is irrelevant, really, as they are, in most cases, solely the preserve of the Weston-Price Diet which is a largely cooked, Neolithic-era diet so is almost the opposite of a raw, palaeolithic diet.

The way I see it, there are already plenty of diets out there which are halfway houses on the way to a rawpalaeodiet. Namely, the cooked-palaeodiets of Eades and Cordain, the cooked zero-carb notions, raw vegan/fruitarian diets and the Primal Diet. These   usually share something like 50 percent of our rawpalaeo ideas already. So people who are not comfortable with being both raw and palaeo also have other forums where they can express their views.

There is a real danger in being too vague re mission goals re diet. I have previously been on several dietary forums where people boasted, in a fit of hubris,  about how the forum as a whole was not tied to any particular diet-doctrine/belief and they invariably failed to get going even or, if already present,  went bust within a few years re postage-count etc. Without some sort of dietary focus/goal, people just eventually lose interest in a forum. Same applies to political parties, for that matter.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:55:43 am »
What traditional peoples did is irrelevant

There is a real danger in being too vague re mission goals re diet.

well, perhaps irrelevant to you or I but we are talking about this in context of some kind of a noodle.

I can see being clear as to what the boundaries of what this site promotes or recommends, but to me this is not the same as coming down on everyone that is new to the site - or even long term - when they share what they do personally that isn't within those bounds. There is a difference in that and of course people who want to troll about traditional diets or cooking or frutarianism or pemmican as oppositional and superior. I mean what is the likelyhood someone joining this site is already following any of the recommendations 100% or wishes to right away?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:16 am »
The way I see it, most people join this site in order to learn more about a raw, palaeolithic diet. If they were more interested in other variants, they would have gone elsewhere(of course, this ignores a very small minority who join this forum, mistakenly thinking this is a cooked-palaeodiet forum).

Of course, most people starting this diet are not doing a 100 percent rawpalaeodiet as many such newbies anyway have only a very small notion of what a rawpalaeodiet is. However, they all want to know more about rawpalaeodiets. Sure, a few may be convinced of some non-rawpalaeo food being supposedly healthy(such as raw dairy or cooked meats, say) but convincing people  online when their physical bodies are 1000s of miles away is hardly likely to succeed if the latter individual is fanatically convinced of the contrary view. Besides, there are forums here such as the hot topics forum or the primal diet/weston-price forums where people can post questions about how to go about only lightly processing/cooking their foods or some similiar non-rawpalaeo aspect, so some of the contrary views are catered for. If they want to be even more anti-rawpalaeo, then their best option would really be to join a Weston-Price Diet forum or whatever that fitted more with their views. I mean, there has to be some common ground between members - if we start allowing discussion of incorporating plenty of mcdonald's burgers into the diet, then we might as well rename this the "eat-anything-diet-forum" instead.

Plus, given that this is a rawpalaeo site, it is logical that the vast majority of members are going to be those not only  thriving on such a diet but who previously suffered on non-rawpalaeo foods, so, naturally, they are going to give advice that warns against non-rawpalaeo things, given their own past experience. That is only natural.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:21 am »
I didn't want to start an argument...
I just randomly happened on the site and wanted to know something about those types of non-grain noodles.

Sure I can ask on another forum, but do I really want to join another forum to ask about some dumb noodle, no...
So it was a random question more or less...

Plus you guys are health-freaks, so if I ask about it here I will get some more interesting input then posting on some forum of a diet I am not interested in, even if all of you told me about the evilness of the noodle it more interesting then people on a regular food forum saying "ya they're great! sure go eat them"...as I can already go and try them without anyones consent anyway, obviously I wanted more interesting feedback or I wouldn't have asked...and I guess thats what I got ...lol

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:27 am »
Well, it's fine to ask this sort of thing in the hot topics forum, given the context.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:35:18 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk