Author Topic: Maintaining a raw diet when traveling internationally  (Read 8488 times)

Offline Rawdietforhealth

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Maintaining a raw diet when traveling internationally
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:26:29 pm »
How does one maintain a mostly raw diet while flying internationally and stating in hotels?

Offline Rawdietforhealth

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Maintaining a raw diet when traveling internationally
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:27:50 pm »
If I can't get raw protein very often, what is a good substitute while on a 24 hour trip?  What do others do?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:40:52 pm »
Since eating 100% raw I traveled many times: twice around the world, once to New Zealand and Tonga Is and back the same way (it would have been a third trip around the planet otherwise), several times to Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia. I could always find suitable raw food, especially a lot of fish and fruits. I used to take something in my handbag to eat during long flights. It could be eggs, shelled nuts, coconut, avocados, jackfruit, mangoes and even meat. Only durian is forbidden aboard planes, you have to eat it before boarding. Tell the flight attendant you have a special diet and ask her an empty plate with fork,knife and spoon.

From the hotels you can usually walk to or find a transportation to a market and/or supermarket, buy what you want and eat it on the spot or in your room. Don't forget to carry a knife and a spoon with you.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:20:50 pm by TylerDurden »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 04:39:41 pm »
Don't forget to carry a knife and a spoon with you.

Yes, me and a primal diet friend I ate out with on Friday carry this:
http://www.reuseit.com/store/togo-ware-repeat-bamboo-utensil-with-recycled-carrycase-p-1568.html
They came in handy when the waitress slipped up on chopsticks for my friend's sashimi.  They always come in handy.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 05:31:13 pm »
Good topic. I'm also planning to travel internationally, i must need to carry the raw meat for my son to eat , especially when I need to spend 24 hrs inside the plain (that's challenging). Traveling in Asia, is not bad, where you can have plenty of wet markets all year round. 
bugs or country chickens

Offline Rawdietforhealth

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 06:44:05 pm »
Thanks for the advice, problem is that I stop in Japan - no fruits or meat are allowed in so I have to probably eat salad or cooked vegetables on the flight unless they have sushi on board.  I am off to Seattle, any good organic stores or restaurants there that people can recommend?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:27:25 pm »
Last I checked, there was a raw vegan restaurant in Seattle, so, with a sizeable raw vegan community, organic raw fruit should be easy to obtain. When travelling, one should bring some dried beef jerky along, at least with countries that ban bringing raw food along. That is what I plan to bring when I next go into the mountains in the Vallees des Merveilles, as beef jerky(I think) does not smell, unlike fresh, raw meats which smell pretty quick if left in the hot sun for more than 2 days.

I suppose someone more in the know should perhaps compile a list of those countries (or US states) which ban bringing any food along. All I know is that the UK and Austria are fine with bringing raw meat along but greedily forbid one to bring any liquids along unless they were bought in the duty-free shops.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 07:53:05 pm »
I don’t know about Japan, but you’re not allowed to bring most raw foodstuff at least in Australia and in US. You must eat it all during the flight before arrival or it’ll be thrown away.

If you’re not allowed to board the plane with your own food on flights to Japan, than I would beforehand ask the airline to plan for me a special menu, specifying that samples won’t feed me enough and that I need at least 600 g of fresh tuna fish steak or 4 avocados plus 5 very ripe bananas per meal, for example. Otherwise you get something ridiculous like a quarter of a strawberry, one cherry and half of an apple.  :(
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 09:52:04 pm »
At the border Canada/USA they always ask if you are carrying fruit, meat or food. I always say no but I suppose if someone wanted to be obtuse they could give me a hard time. Mostly agents are looking for large amounts presumably (I am not positive). They also ask if you have been to a farm withing the last two weeks. I also have to fib on this one as we get our milk there.

At the ferry leaving Newfoundland Canada, Agriculture Canada actually hoses down the undercarriage of your car to prevent the carrying of some kind of potato virus off the island. This prohibition is a bit of a BS political thing but nonetheless this is the kind of thing the border points are trying to stop.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:11:58 pm »
I haven't traveled for the past five years and one thing is most concern me to drink water from plastic bottle. Just visiting my home land south-east Asia, i will face 24 hrs non-stop flight. My toddler will cry out loud for raw meat. He doesn't know any food out there beside raw meat.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »
What's the problem with water in plastic bottles? Yeah, it my contain a few molecules of that plastic, but anyway we can't totally avoid to ingest some from other sources. Glass bottles are better but I nevertheless drink water from plastic bottles.

The longest commercial flight lasts 18 h 50 min. Put some raw meat in a closed box and take it with you in your handbag. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:21:30 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:35:51 pm »
What's the problem with water in plastic bottles?

not really related to health, but those bottles end up all over the place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 03:39:58 pm »

Of course, that's a real nuisance but you can't drink water straight from a mountain spring during a flight!

Offline kristo88oc

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 06:46:23 pm »
The truth is, I have been eating raw so long I don’t often think about it as it just so part of my everyday life. Whether I am going out for an hour or more I always take my own purified energized water and foods.

Offline Rawdietforhealth

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 08:34:38 am »
Food a great market in Seattle - Pike Place Market - great farmers market, fresh vegetables, fruits, and especially seafood - oysters and salmon! My dinner tonight - a dozen oysters and fresh raw salmon

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 10:43:38 am »
What's the problem with water in plastic bottles? Yeah, it my contain a few molecules of that plastic, but anyw...
I get headache and feel vomiting...
Probably I can carry some raw meat on my way from USA, but when I'm coming back, it's not possible to carry any food.
bugs or country chickens

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 03:51:30 pm »
I get headache and feel vomiting...
(...) when I'm coming back, it's not possible to carry any food.

From where and why? Wherever I flew from, I could always board planes with food in my hand-luggage.

Some US plastic 1 gallon water containers are (were?) made of a bad kind of plastic, giving a strong plastic taste to their water content. But water in PET bottles is fine as long as the bottle has not been stored in the sun. In any case, still you can carry water in a glass bottle.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 05:08:19 pm »
Food a great market in Seattle - Pike Place Market - great farmers market, fresh vegetables, fruits, and especially seafood - oysters and salmon! My dinner tonight - a dozen oysters and fresh raw salmon

And Bill Gates is having the same dinner with you? 
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 09:27:47 am »
hosing down the undercarriage of border-crossing vehicles is NOT political nonsense.  It is a necessary measure to avoid MILLIONS of dollars of damage to agriculture.  How can you even IMAGINE that they would assign themselves such extensive amount of physical labor, just to be capricious?   You are badly out of touch with human psychology.

I don't understand what is the problem with Japan..... transited through there many many times.   YOU ARE NOT clearing customs or agri-quarantine.  You are sitting in the transit area.

Raw ground beef is available in every most supermarket in the world.  It is extremely satiating in rather small (physical package) amounts which easily fits into your carry-on.  Wake up and smell the coffee, you crybabies. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 10:15:14 pm »
hosing down the undercarriage of border-crossing vehicles is NOT political nonsense.  It is a necessary measure to avoid MILLIONS of dollars of damage to agriculture.  How can you even IMAGINE that they would assign themselves such extensive amount of physical labor, just to be capricious?   You are badly out of touch with human psychology.
The hosing down of vehicles is a political ploy by one of the nearby provinces in a bid to stop the "province of the hosed"  ;D from exporting potatoes as the hoser province is a major exporter of same. The potato issue (potato virus or bug or some such thing) on the hosed province has/had also been found on the hoser province. The hosed province rolled over because the Canadian Government is paying for the construction and the manning of the hosing station and I suspect they exported very little potatoes anyways.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk