Author Topic: Hunting anyone ?  (Read 13615 times)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Hunting anyone ?
« on: November 21, 2010, 02:20:17 am »
Who has hunted for food? Where, what kind of luck? What did you use to catch/kill. What did you do after the kill to keep it? Did you eat everything?

I was thinking about a crossbow. I had a compound bow and enjoyed that, but I was a vege when I had it. ;) I lived in a place that was a hunter/fisher's paradise. Caribou used to walk through town. Fishing was awesome.
Cheers
Al

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 03:19:08 am »
can't you hunt with rifle/shotgun?

we just came back from UP Michigan, our group got 3 deers.  i took liver, heart, kidneys, balls, and carcass.  someone else got the head.  the bullet messed up lungs pretty bad so i left them there.  i wanted to look for pancreas but i was gutting it under flash light and was having hard time locating it.

i'm not too excited about deer meat.  even though the area is far away from major industries, it was next to farms, so i suspect deers there get some exposure to fertilizers and pesticides.  i'm looking to purchase some land in Michigan's Manistee forest, i'd think deers there would be cleaner.

Wisconsin is more convenient for me but their hunting regulations way stricter.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:24:30 am »
Kudos; This is the nearly the 1st time that someone posted a topic wrongly in the hot topics forum and I had to move it to the general discussions forum. Normally, I find most people, wrongly and constantly, put something in the general discussions forum when it really belongs in the hot topics forum or somewhere else.

As for hunting, the psycho  UK authorities frown on people carrying guns so you pretty much have to be a farmer to get a gun of some sort, and no doubt still pay hefty amounts for the licence. It has got so bad that the UK Olympic shooting team-members  now have to train abroad in Switzerland etc. , because of these ridiculous anti-gun laws.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:50:02 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:46:57 am »
I hunt for deer, small game (squirrel, rabbit, hare, upland game birds), and turkey.

I got a deer last year during rifle season, but haven't gotten anything yet this year.  I saw a beautiful 8-point buck on opening day, and a smaller 4 point earlier today.  I didn't get a good shot angle at either of these deer, so didn't even try shooting them.  The 8-pointer probably weighed 220 pounds, the little guy I saw this afternoon probably around 160 pounds. 

I try to avoid hunting near farms, unless they're organic farms and do NOT raise grain.  Deer that grow up near farms inevitably eat lots of grain and soybeans, so the meat is about as low quality as grain-fed cow.  Not something I'm interested in.  Some organic farms around here grow only vegetables, and those farms I'd be willing to hunt on.

Still got a week of rifle season left here, and then a week of late season archery.  Hopefully I score at least one deer.

As for what I use, I hunt with a 6 mm Browning X-Bolt rifle using Remington CoreLokt cartridges with 100 grain bullets.  The rifle is bolt action with a scope, but I'd like to get a lever action rifle and learn to shoot instinctively, as you can get off a quicker shot with lever action and just steel sights. 

During archery season I hunt with a wooden bow that I make myself, as well as wooden arrows that I make.  I'm big into primitive skills, so make much of my own archery equipment, including quiver, bows, arrows, etc.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 09:57:56 am »
My friend has two tags left and he says he is going to get me a deer by tomorrow, I surely hope so, When I began this diet I had a deer in my deep freeze and it was great raw, although I had to get extra beef fat with it, and my jaws got plenty of exercise chewing it(I used to chew my meat thoroughly before I realized it wasn't necessary). I didn't kill it but I butchered it. After the deer was devoured I slaughtered my two goats I had and ate them both raw. This year I hope to get a deer so that I can get the marrow, brain , and other organs, Last year I just threw all the scraps to the dog, because it was right before I learned what the best parts were.

Is deer brain good to eat, any concerns or issues.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 10:03:08 am »
do not eat any deer from confirmed CWD (wasting disease) areas.  i would not eat any deer from southern WI or northern IL.  check your area.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 10:10:45 am »
My deer would come from central Kentucky, I believe we are fairly isolated from polluted areas.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:47:21 am »
can't you hunt with rifle/shotgun?
Almost bought one probably 20 years ago but backed down. Had the FAC. Canada has somewhat strict gun laws, but back then you just needed a FAC (Firearm Acquisition Certificate) which meant a $10. Police check. Now you have to register it also and to hunt you have to take a Hunter Safety Course which is not really a big deal. I don't know anyone locally who hunts as I am new to the area.

The crossbow just sounds like it would be fun.

Cheers
Al

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 03:03:51 am »
Crossbows are illegal to use for hunting in most areas, unless you're handicapped. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 05:49:08 am »
Not so north of the 49th parallel. (Canada) It varies by province. Ontario it's fine for bow season.

http://articles.outdoorcanada.ca/Homepage/default/crossbow-hunting-controversy-n258049p1.html
Cheers
Al

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:21 pm »
Is deer brain good to eat, any concerns or issues.
I enjoyed it. I did have some weird dreams and anxiety the next day which might have been related but other than that it was filling and made me feel good.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 09:22:15 pm »
I have tried to sustain myself by hunting and was in a sense successful, but learned a few things along the way.

The first one we noticed was that when you're living off of mainly moose and rabbit, you are not getting a lot of fat. You might get 5 weeks of meat, but only 1 week of fat off the animal.  You can have meat coming out your ears but it doesnt matter because you have no fat source.  We realised the folly of trying to emulate an inuit style diet, when you dont live where the inuit do, hunting animals covered in blubber.  You 'can' do it, making up for the fat by hunting beavers and bears and fatty animals like that, but you dont get to choose what you eat. You can say 'ill just get a bear for my fat', but actually doing it is a different story.  We found out that nature doesnt provide in the way that you might think.  The main thing we really learned is that Diet is a Privilege.  In the real world, sometimes you dont have a choice of what you get to eat. You can call yourself a carnivore all you want, but sometimes all you have is a bowl of rice.

I was just one person taking care of a full grown moose using a hunting knife and hatchet.  Id start taking the skin off (to make it lighter) and then put a leg up on my shoulder so i could take the stomach out (which isnt easy when its laying in a hole or whatever other inconvenient place it chose to die.) and get all the stomach/intestines out of the way.  Id put everything else that was inside in a bag, jar up as much blood as i could and drag it back. Then id take a leg at a time off (you just learn where to make the cuts and you can take the legs off easy with just a knife) and drag them back.  Then my wife and I would go back and strip the rest of the meat off of the ribs/neck/spine, take out the tongue/eyes/brain and drag the last load back.

Then we would usually eat the organs first, and whatever we didnt eat the first say, three days, gets turned into jerky.
Fresh meat.. is shit.  Its really terrible, it has no taste and is really chewy, it takes at least three days (depending on the temp) for the muscle meat to become edible.  If we were eating the meat before then we would have to send it through our burger-maker, but the burgers were still lame compared to something a little older.
we would turn the 'shit meat' like the stuff with lots of sinue on the front legs into jerky, and kept the good meat, from say the hind legs or backstraps for eating.  Any organs we didnt finish were dried, blood and eyes were dried, lungs were dried.
Anything that 'went gross' was just turned into jerky and it became amazing jerky.
After all the meat was off a leg we would crack it open and mix some spices into the bone marow and have wonderful buttery dip for our meat.
When its warmer out you have about a 3 day window of what you would call 'fresh meat' like what you would get from the butchers (so hung 28 days or whatever) and then you're eating high meat for the next 4 weeks (which you will come to prefer anyway, but variety is always nice)
That's not paleo.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:42:17 pm »
'Fresh meat is shit'? sounds like bullshit to me. Thanks for sharing your experience though.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:27:02 pm »
'Fresh meat is shit'? sounds like bullshit to me. Thanks for sharing your experience though.
Meat harvested in the warmer months can taste not so great for various reasons.
Cheers
Al

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 10:51:00 pm »
Meat cut straight from a freshly dead animal while its still warm is not as magic as you would believe, it takes around 3 days for it to begin getting some taste and softening up.  It is nowhere near as good as meat that has been hung up to age for 3+ weeks.
That's not paleo.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 11:26:23 pm »
Meat cut straight from a freshly dead animal while its still warm is not as magic as you would believe, it takes around 3 days for it to begin getting some taste and softening up.  It is nowhere near as good as meat that has been hung up to age for 3+ weeks.

i agree with this. i had super fresh meat in southeast asia (slaughtered that morning) and it never really tasted like anything. i prefer the meat i get here by far because it's aged and tasty. i would think the fresh organs would be good though. haven't gotten any super fresh ones though

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 12:18:46 am »
you go for the organs first, they are better if you have them sooner rather than later.
Lungs are pretty crappy so you just hack them up into strips and dry them for when you get desperate, they're like Aero's (the chocolate bar) but ahh, not chocolate haha.
Livers from big animals are really big, you probably wont eat the whole thing before you're sick of liver, good thing is that liver makes really good jerky (once you're not a meat noob, it might be a little much for someone new to intense tastes) so eat as much as you want fresh then dry the rest.
Heart makes good jerky or is good fresh.
kidneys do well with both but they're not gigantic and i prefered them fresh over jerky, but nothing wrong with jerking them.
Fat is fat, its just warm when you eat it straight out of the animal, but it doesnt stay warm for more than a few hours usually.

You pretty much just have to keep stuff dry, well ventilated and keep the flys off (a pain in the ass)
That's not paleo.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 12:25:30 am »
Taking into account that wild meat is not like domesticated animals, our source for organic, grassfed meat does not age the meat and it is nowhere as good as the aged meat we get from another butcher who ages the meat and it is organic but unfortunately grain finished.
Cheers
Al

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 01:05:09 am »
Small game you can eat fresh and you wont notice it as much as a larger animal.  But even small game is still better if you let it hang a little.
That's not paleo.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 01:26:16 am »
Meat cut straight from a freshly dead animal while its still warm is not as magic as you would believe, it takes around 3 days for it to begin getting some taste and softening up.  It is nowhere near as good as meat that has been hung up to age for 3+ weeks.

? ? ? ? ? The meat I get isn't aged and there's nothing wrong with it, you must just be a cripple.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 01:29:24 am »
Fresh meat is shit

i am eating white-tail deer at this moment.  it is freshly frozen.  tastes just like bison meat.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:31:20 am »
? ? ? ? ? The meat I get isn't aged and there's nothing wrong with it, you must just be a cripple.
Find a source for meat that has been aged 28 days. It's an amazing difference.
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 01:45:40 am »
Find a source for meat that has been aged 28 days. It's an amazing difference.
  Correct.  Actually, grassfed meat farmers are very proud of hanging their meats a routine 3, sometimes 4 , weeks after slaughter, as it greatly adds to the taste. This is done in a chilled environment, afaik. I have also found that many raw meats taste better if I leave them out for a day or two.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 01:47:38 am »
I've had aged meat and it's fine, it just doesn't taste as refreshing as fresh meat... I have no difficulty eating fresh meat, so there's no reason for me to need my food pre-digested for me, I'd rather get the tastiest freshest, most refreshing first hand meat, since I'm not a cripple. When you're a cripple and dislike the taste of meat anyway, and find it hard to eat even 200g of aged meat I can understand why you'd need that. I have no problem with eating the meat when it's sat around either, it's just softer and less refreshing, no problem, it tastes good just different, but so does it when it's completely fresh.

Actually for some reason there I went into anti-aged meat, I guess it's natural countering everyone saying they hate fresh meat... I actually don't have any preference, they both have their own taste... I just have no problem whatsoever with either fresh or aged meat.. To say 'fresh meat is shit' is ridiculous.. if someone thinks that, it must be them that's shit not the meat.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:55:27 am by miles »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 02:20:49 am »
   This is done in a chilled environment, afaik.
We spoke with a butcher who said that it is aged in a special cooler that is quite dry. Possibly it's dry because the cold air has a chance to settle out the moisture in the form of frost on the walls.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk