Author Topic: Canned food sucks... how will you hoard food?  (Read 11866 times)

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Canned food sucks... how will you hoard food?
« on: November 28, 2010, 02:24:20 am »
If the economy collapses or disaster strikes, I've made up my mind that I will go into the woods. Still I would like to go in a position of thriving. This includes not only learning techniques but having enough food as to not be starving and to have a clear mind when I decide to take my first animal. Canned food is pretty much out of the question, I think there are many other better options if we spend a little bit to prepare beforehand.

Do you store food in case of emergency?

What do you? How do you? maybe even the specifics on why you do?

I'll start off by saying that I have already collected some honey, nuts, dried "superfruits" like incan berries.
I'll probably make some jerky also, but I am not sure how long it will last.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Canned food sucks... how will you hoard food?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:03:40 am »
I would have thought that jerky would last for many years if properly dried.

It sounds as though you need to read up more about the wonderful American hobby of Survivalism.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 03:52:40 am »
It sounds as though you need to read up more about the wonderful American hobby of Survivalism.

I have just started.. any forums, videos, info you suggest?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 04:27:37 am »
I have just started.. any forums, videos, info you suggest?
The only thing I can recommend is the 2-volume Poor Man's James Bond by Kurt Saxon. I have  to admit that I have not been able to delve properly into the notion of survivalism given that I live in the UK, not the US.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:23:01 am »
I have  to admit that I have not been able to delve properly into the notion of survivalism given that I live in the UK, not the US.

How does the UK inhibit you from survival techniques?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:03 am »
I propose making lots of babies and spreading them all over the world.
Some of them are sure to survive any future holocaust and carry on the blood line.

Seriously for personal survivalism, learn from survivors of past wars.
My father in law in  WW2 told me they hid in mountains and brought eggs, rice, ate insects, frogs and sometimes picked fruit.  They were afraid to touch the mushrooms since they didn't know much about them.

Take seeds with you and sprout them.

If you search for James McCanney he discusses the Kolbrin Bible and those survivors discuss how they survived the great tragedies of their time.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:43:09 am »
How does the UK inhibit you from survival techniques?
  Too overcrowded for it to be easy to practice survivalism outdoors, plus harsh anti-gun laws(survivalism is very pro-gun rights) and no survivalism movement over here either.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:41:14 am »
Some of them are sure to survive any future holocaust and carry on the blood line.

GS... Two thumbs up!
If I had the resources and a good mate I would start now. Unfortunately I will have to wait.

Too overcrowded for it to be easy to practice survivalism outdoors, plus harsh anti-gun laws(survivalism is very pro-gun rights) and no survivalism movement over here either.

No hunting? how about bow?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 03:17:23 pm »

Seriously for personal survivalism, learn from survivors of past wars.
My father in law in  WW2 told me they hid in mountains and brought eggs, rice, ate insects, frogs and sometimes picked fruit.  They were afraid to touch the mushrooms since they didn't know much about them.

Take seeds with you and sprout them.

If you search for James McCanney he discusses the Kolbrin Bible and those survivors discuss how they survived the great tragedies of their time.

In the west you would need to be seriously loaded to have lots of babies it's expensive and there's not support network of family.

If you want to survive join the military or police force you get fed.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:57:22 pm »
No hunting? how about bow?
Carrying any kind of offensive weapon, even knives, is not a good idea as the police routinely prosecute people for carrying such, even when they only used them in situations requiring self-defence.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 06:41:55 pm »
Yeah, those guys are the best armed and equipped for survival!

Anyway it's always good to have some stock of food, drinking water, firewood, candles, batteries for the transistor radio and flashlights. You never know what can happen. We had a terrible storm on the 24th of january 2009: the wind blew here at about 100 mph and we were 4 days without electricity, some houses had no more water at the tap and their telephone line was cut.

4 days doesn't seem long, but it was long enough! Imagine if that lasts one month... I think survival will be very difficult and even impossible for most people if the chaos lasts more than a few months, unless you're in the army, police or in an armed and organized band.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:54:18 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:59:05 pm »
Bow hunting, spear hunting(and pretty much everything else) are illegal in the UK. You're only allowed to hunt with a very few specific methods. Guns and non-locking snares are pretty much it. There's also some net you can use but... There isn't really anywhere, or anything much to hunt anyway. There isn't any wilderness in the UK, only fields and you have to have permission to hunt there. You're not even allowed to carry knives outside of your house... If you want to go to the woods with your knife to practise crafting and anything sees you with it they'll call the police and you'll be arrested and have your knife taken off of you, unless you own that section of the woods. Guns and licenses to use them are expensive too.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:05:34 pm by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 12:02:29 am »
It's a good question and it's one that can come into play in hurricane-prone areas, though the blackouts typically don't last much more than a month.

Even if you get all the water out of beef jerky it can still absorb water from the air and eventually become moldy if additional preservation measures aren't taken. I live in moist New England where jerky tends to become moldy within 1-2 weeks depending on the weather even if thoroughly dried if not smoked or salted, no preservatives are added and it is not vacuum-sealed or frozen. Thoroughly drying also means having to apply heat longer (whereas some rawists prefer to minimize the amount heat used) or air-drying for a really long time. I find that using the lowest heat setting (95 F) on my NESCO dehydrator to thoroughly dry jerky produced a product that tasted overdone to me.

"Commercially packaged jerky can be kept 12 months - home dried [and cured] jerky can be stored 1 to 2 months." http://www.route66beefjerky.com/faq.html

Smoking and salting would extend the shelf life somewhat further. Vaccum sealing might be the only way to get more than a year shelf life out of it without freezing it. If you have your own power source that you think will still function after the coming Gotterdammerung then you could freeze the vacuum-sealed jerky and it should last over a year.

You could also vaccum-seal dried fruit and raw or dried nuts. These folks claim their super-dried fruit will last 5 years: http://survivalacres.com/information/shelflife.html. It's stored in air-tight cans and mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

The traditional way of preserving meat was pemmican (www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf).They preserved pemmican long-term by putting it in a parfleche (rawhide bag that was also used as an arrow shield) and seal off the top of the pemmican from air with a layer of tallow. Since to preserve pemmican the tallow must be heated above what is considered "raw" temperatures, it is generally seen as a second-rate food at best in this forum.

I don't know how long high meats can last, but I know that Eskimos have reported preferring high meat and stink fish that's over a year old.

Raw honey will last indefinitely, but from what I've seen, traditional peoples gobbled it up so quickly there was never any to preserve long-term. I doubt I could store much honey without being tempted to gobble it up either. :D

I guess you could read survival articles and test small quantities to learn how long you can make things keep without using preservatives or heating above 104 F (40 C).

Canned foods are high-heated according to Tyler, BTW, and it does tend to taste overcooked.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:33:02 am »
Raw honey will last indefinitely, but from what I've seen, traditional peoples gobbled it up so quickly there was never any to preserve long-term. I doubt I could store much honey without being tempted to gobble it up either. :D

I have a lot of honey in store, but I'm not tempted to eat more than a small spoon or two once in way. If you'd be tempted to gobble unheated honey, it might be that you need it, whatever the reaction it may trigger. Short term reactions to some raw paleo foodstuff seem useful to long term health, sometimes, even if they are rather unpleasant in the moment.

In case there's no power, meat can be kept hung in something like that without the fan working. Yes, honey, dried fruits, nuts, various seeds, can be kept rather long in tight containers. Carob, tamarind, dates, even eggs and some varieties of apples, melons and kiwis can be stored in open air.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 12:40:47 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:13 am »
I have a lot of honey in store, but I'm not tempted to eat more than a small spoon or two once in way. If you'd be tempted to gobble unheated honey, it might be that you need it, whatever the reaction it may trigger. ...
I was thinking that might be possible too, because the first time I tried Champlain Valley Apiaries clover and alfalfa honey it tasted fantastic to me, and now it has a more ordinary taste and I get a bit of a fullness feeling at some point now.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »
Bow hunting, spear hunting(and pretty much everything else) are illegal in the UK. You're only allowed to hunt with a very few specific methods. Guns and non-locking snares are pretty much it. There's also some net you can use but... There isn't really anywhere, or anything much to hunt anyway. There isn't any wilderness in the UK, only fields and you have to have permission to hunt there. You're not even allowed to carry knives outside of your house... If you want to go to the woods with your knife to practise crafting and anything sees you with it they'll call the police and you'll be arrested and have your knife taken off of you, unless you own that section of the woods. Guns and licenses to use them are expensive too.
Carrying any kind of offensive weapon, even knives, is not a good idea as the police routinely prosecute people for carrying such, even when they only used them in situations requiring self-defence.

That is some of the most depressing bunk I have ever heard. I am glad my ancestors said f**k that.
I had no idea they had you guys on lock down like that!
I am going to buy a hunting license this week, and I was pissed just because I have to do that to avoid conflict.
I now consider myself somewhat lucky!

In the west you would need to be seriously loaded to have lots of babies it's expensive and there's not support network of family.

I was just thinking about how segregated most families are here(including mine), I wonder how we got this way.
For my kids, I aim to put an end to that BS if I can.
I second that, kids are expensive if you don't plan on leaching off on the government and have no family support. Our daycare charges around 185 per five day week, for one kiddo!
Eh.. I don't sit well with most police, at least in AZ most of the cops are buffoons. They will probably eat trash anyway. I'll admit i'm picky, I'd rather live in the woods than live on canned food.

I have a lot of honey in store, but I'm not tempted to eat more than a small spoon or two once in way. If you'd be tempted to gobble unheated honey, it might be that you need it, whatever the reaction it may trigger. Short term reactions to some raw paleo foodstuff seem useful to long term health, sometimes, even if they are rather unpleasant in the moment.

Some people say honey is addictive. I agree, I love it anyway!  :D

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 04:07:00 pm »
That is some of the most depressing bunk I have ever heard. I am glad my ancestors said f**k that.
I had no idea they had you guys on lock down like that!

I didn't know either. I'm sorry for England. :'(

Some people say honey is addictive. I agree, I love it anyway!  :D

Some people say the Earth is hollow and there's a sun in the middle, with grass, trees, cows and nazis escaped from the third Reich inside.  :D
If you love something, does it mean it's addictive? What about meat?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 05:43:53 pm »

I was just thinking about how segregated most families are here(including mine), I wonder how we got this way.
For my kids, I aim to put an end to that BS if I can.

Yeah it's not healthy. There is something very wrong with the west in that we are brillant at working together, building and creating things but we have lost touch with our community/family. We do build some pretty cool things though.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »
I once read about the most prolific family in England who had c.20 children, the highest number of all UK parents. Because they were at the top, they invariably got vast benefits from nappy-manufacturers etc. re free nappies etc. etc., so they got away with it.
" Ron Paul.

Offline personman

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »
You can come to my land in surrey bc canada and live there. I am looking for people to set up a farm with and you appear scandinavian....

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 05:40:24 am »
If the economy collapses or disaster strikes, I've made up my mind that I will go into the woods. Still I would like to go in a position of thriving. Canned food is pretty much out of the question, I think there are many other better options if we spend a little bit to prepare beforehand.

Hi Actup90
get out and spend time in the woods now. As much as you can. Day and night.
Listen, move around, smell, observe, feel, taste.
Notice the movement of the elements, the climatic conditions, the way animals, insects and plants respond and function in relation to their surrounds and the prevailing factors.
Notice how your body responds also to light filtering through the trees or in clearings, to scents and sounds carried on the winds, to the terrain underfoot, to the different times of the day, to the taste of the atmosphere, and so on, and so on.
Sit quietly, immerse yourself completely.
Book, video learning is fine, but direct immersion and experience is another thing completely.
Enjoy, and allow the pulse of the woods to course through you, and the gratitude and support that such an environment provides will become more and more apparent.
Kind wishes, J
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:08:18 am by Wattlebird »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk