Author Topic: Free radicals are good  (Read 3174 times)

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
Free radicals are good
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:28:48 pm »

This is an article that will not make people promoting antioxidants very happy :-)

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/12/08/worms-lifespan-aging-free-radicals.html

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Free radicals are good
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:41:19 pm »
* runs out to buy some MiracleGrow and a pack of cigarettes *

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »
They really seem to be  talking about the science of hormesis, here, where small doses of certain poisons can stimulate one's immune-system etc. so as to build up immunity to that poisons as well as improved resistance to stress etc.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 01:59:26 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline subfarm

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:08:18 pm »
I seriously can't wait to be a research scientist. Interesting article.Thanks.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29:50 pm »
I always had doubts about the whole anti oxidant vs. free radical wrestling match that's been portrayed in the established medical view of things. A lot of the synthetic antioxidants are poisonous in themselves and some free radicals are produced by the cells for some reason and could stimulate a protective responce within the body without the need of synthetic antidotes., so this indiscriminate war that's been waged against the free radical seems reckless and half baked.

Once you label a natural process like the production of free radicals as some totally negative phenomenon without truly investigation all the variables like how the process might be necessary to trigger a protective reaction within the body , and also suggest that a person take unnatural substances(synthetic antioxidant) to fight against these naturally occurring substances;then you have made some quantum leap beyond the application of good science, and have entered into the realm of nutritional witchcraft, supplemental sorcery, and free radical conspiracy.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 05:31:48 am »
I agree, just because scientists found clues that free radicals may age us doesn't mean we should kill of all free radicals necessarily.
They might age us but also keep us from dying or getting very sick & diseased, people do have to age eventually, so its likely free radicals do more then one task besides just aging us, and some of those tasks may be crucial to us.
Its probably good to always go down the middle for things we aren't sure about, like don't take synthetic antioxidants but don't do things to purposely increase free radicals either (*throws MiracleGrow in the trash*), there is probably some ideal range of free rads we don't know...maybe  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk