Author Topic: Rabies.  (Read 14798 times)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Rabies.
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 02:35:36 am »
except for in bats.  
BTW, has anyone of you eaten a bat?
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 02:41:01 am »
As I said already, there's no known rabies in the UK or Australia, except for in bats. Everywhere else in the world there is. Also, most hunters know what to look for to see that an animal is healthy anyway. If they're planning on selling it they certainly do.
Even taking the bit re rabies in the UK into account, I should have been infected a dozen times by now from other diseases such as TB etc., yet have never gotten them. And RVAFers eating plenty of raw wild game in other parts of the world where rabies is present, have also never had issues with rabies.
Now, maybe I do have a chance of getting some sort of illness, but the chances are  more or less at the same level as the chance of being killed by a car.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 02:51:17 am »
Even taking the bit re rabies in the UK into account, I should have been infected a dozen times by now from other diseases such as TB etc., yet have never gotten them. And RVAFers eating plenty of raw wild game in other parts of the world where rabies is present, have also never had issues with rabies.
Now, maybe I do have a chance of getting some sort of illness, but the chances are  more or less at the same level as the chance of being killed by a car.

You have less chance of being killed by a car if you respect the threat.

Anyway, infected animals are not likely to make it to you if you're buying from someone else. They usually wouldn't live for long, and would show signs of their illness which the hunter and the seller would likely check for.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Snowflower

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 03:02:04 am »
I have been in four accidents in cars in my life. One of them was caused by the person driving - not me. The other three were caused by other cars with no chance whatsoever of avoiding it, since the person was coming from behind. Two of the accidents resulted in a roll over. One resulted in my car exploding. No, I disagree that you can "respect the threat" and therefore, avoid it. I do not believe the analogy I made was "dumb" as you suggested.

I do however, think it is dumb to bring up the question if you really don't think it's a problem and you're only being hypothetical.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 03:36:41 am »
I do however, think it is dumb to bring up the question if you really don't think it's a problem and you're only being hypothetical.

?? What question? Please actually read what I've written before you comment on it.

"Name:   miles
Position:   Mammoth Hunter
Date Registered:   August 29, 2009, 05:19:43 PM
Last Active:   Today at 07:36:41 PM"

OMG. 1337 posts!? w00t
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 06:54:55 am »
Look, if countless RVAFers have eaten tons of raw wild game for years and years without any problems, then one can safely assume there is no danger. As for the lab comment re rabies, that is physically impossible. I mean, rabies is supposed to be fatal, and by now we would have heard about it in the media much more if 50 percent of wild animals were infected regularly and died.

What if the animal is carrying the virus?? like people who dont have HIV but carry it so when they have sex with someone the someone get it?? just theory.

In my opinion this HIV example very suits this thread so I have another question/theory.

Lets say 1 guy carrys HIV virus and someone eats him doesnt matter who human(canibalism) or animal, of course raw.
Will that organism who ate the guy get HIV ??? same with rabbies ?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:44 am »
What if the animal is carrying the virus?? like people who dont have HIV but carry it so when they have sex with someone the someone get it?? just theory.

In my opinion this HIV example very suits this thread so I have another question/theory.

Lets say 1 guy carrys HIV virus and someone eats him doesnt matter who human(canibalism) or animal, of course raw.
Will that organism who ate the guy get HIV ??? same with rabbies ?
No, as HIV transmits via blood.

And, like I said, if an animal was carrying the rabies virus, hunters etc. would be fine as long as they weren't bitten by the animal.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 03:12:37 pm »
And, like I said, if an animal was carrying the rabies virus, hunters etc. would be fine as long as they weren't bitten by the animal.

How do you know that?

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 03:41:07 pm »
It's contradictory :D
You probably meant that someone hasn't got AIDS, but has got HIV.
The connection between AIDS and HIV hasn't never been proven, btw.
You can carry many types of bacteria and virus and BE FINE.
Roughly a third of the world's population has been infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. So what?

Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 05:14:47 pm »
How do you know that?
Because every report re rabies infections mentions only the bite aspect as being dangerous, and discounts any other dangers. No b*ll about being wary of handling raw wild game with a protective suit or whatever nonsense. If rabies really could be transmitted by other methods, in the past few millenia we would have had hunters  being warned against hunting any strange-looking animal and such-like.
" Ron Paul.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 03:00:23 am »
No b*ll about being wary of handling raw wild game with a protective suit or whatever nonsense.

I don't care if you like it up the bum.

Because every report re rabies infections mentions only the bite aspect as being dangerous, and discounts any other dangers.

No... Anyone known to have come into contact with even deceased rabid animals are given shots against it, and anyone involved in rabies will say that you can get it from any part of a rabid animal. Even people who've come into contact with the person who's come into contact the the rabid animal are given rabies shots.

If you're going to argue your own ideas, you can't just deny something which is FACT or it makes you look like a dick. Whether or not you can get rabies from anything other than the bite, 'every report re rabies infections' would certainly say that you can.

Even if you are right that you can only get rabies from the bite, it is a FACT that any 'rabies expert' will say that it is dangerous to handle any part of an animal which had rabies.

If rabies really could be transmitted by other methods, in the past few millenia we would have had hunters  being warned against hunting any 'strange-looking animal and such-like'.

They are warned about handling 'strange-looking animal and such-like'.

I don't even know if anyone has ever got rabies without being bitten, but officials say that one can, and you are denying this. If you want to say the officials and experts are wrong that's ok, as they're wrong on many things, but to deny that they say this is just wrong.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:07:09 am by miles »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 03:54:02 am »
There is a big difference between mindless health-and-safety-oriented leaflets and similiar gimmicks and what  hunters actually take care about. I mean, there are morons still on government panels who warn against the retarded mercury-in-fish notions despite the fact that the science behind the anti-mercury hysteria has been extensively debunked.

Judging from the data, rabies is overwhelmingly obtained via bites. There is all sorts of further discussion about the very unlikely prospect of being bitten by an animal which has just licked its paws with its own saliva and then scratched you  or even an event where the rabies virus somehow infects a man's nasal passages via the animal's saliva (I believe it was mentioned in 1 article that this requires a small, enclosed area with minimal air or some such nonsense).

The main thing, which is relevant to hunters cutting up corpses after killing, is that rabies is not transmitted by contact with urine, feces, blood, or scent glands:-

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2723&Q=325944

Hunters routinely cut off the heads anyway before sale.  I mean, I suppose there is a vanishingly microscopic  chance that a hunter does not notice that an animal is rabid(re foam on jaws etc.) , then in the process of removing flesh from the jaw(!) gets a cut in the process and touches the cut to the teeth, but the chance is so vanishingly small it can be disregarded.

Another point is that rabies is confined mostly to specific species. You mentioned bats in the UK, but Florida for example has rabies appearing primarily in  raccoons, skunks, foxes, and bats, none of which are regularly known to be hunted for their meats by hunters:-

http://pelotes.jea.com/rabies.htm

Well, I suppose there will always be a loony fringe in the RVAF diet world who will preach against mythical "threats" like mercury-in-fish, "high-meats" or the supposed dangers of raw wild game re rabies. Pity, since many newbies usually find that they in fact benefit the most  from raw wildcaught seafood, raw wild game and aged, raw meats.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:45:07 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk