Author Topic: Help me get back into exercising  (Read 4330 times)

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Help me get back into exercising
« on: December 25, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »
Some background: adventure races, century bike rides, bike touring, 5/10k races, rock-climbing, mountaineering. In the past, all of my exercise was aimed at improving performance in the above activities. Most recent exercise regimen consisted of olympic weight lifting 3-4 times a week, occassional bike rides, and walking. Due to school/work commitments and traveling, I haven't exercised since July 2010. I have never been sedentary for this long. I'm looking for some tips on how to ease back into exercise given my goals and the fact that I'm eating RZC. Current goals are to build muscle mass and improve general health and fitness. Planning to eventually lift heavy weights 2-3 times/week, do a Crossfit style workout once a week, and maybe sprint or do a trail run once a week. Basically, looking for advice from people who resumed exercising while eating zero or low-carb. Thanks!

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Re: Help me get back into exercising
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:48:03 pm »
Get a partner. Works every time. You betcha!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:05:19 am »

I agree on the partner search,

short of that, just between Skinny D and me you have a tremendous variety of workouts that I think reflect all your interests

we can be virtual partners :)

of courser many other impressive folks post in this thread as well.
http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/exercisebodybuilding/today%27s-workout/

---

I would also suggest starting with something immediately that requires some consistent effort towards those goals, no matter how small in time spent or effort, just to get on the pattern until the real push.

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:33:54 am »
Unfortunately, my partner is down with an un-diagnosable illness. It'll probably be months before he can exercise again. I am only concerned with burning myself out by going too hard into a new exercise program after not working out for a long time. I'm thinking of going straight to weights (low weights) and body-weight exercises.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:40:59 am »
sorry to hear that, I think SD and I meant just finding a partner (just a person at a gym or even on a website) to motivate you to keeping a routine.

I know there have been some talk of issues in regards to 'over-exercising' on VLC and ZC diets, and just general critiques on the part of Aajonous or Matt Stone types to demonize exercise when going through periods of healing and transition which might have some merit.

ultimately, I would still say just trying to be consistent starting with a low level of actual strain, sounds like the safe move. If it really doesn't feel right, you stop, but sometimes its necessary to plug along in the beginning against those urges to do nothing.  -d

body-weight is a great way to start, as it requires no boxed commitment or equipment, but sometimes is tough to motivate ones self to do - even if they are fitness oriented...something to think about.

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:40:30 pm »
KD, that was my gym partner that I was talking about. Motivation is not a problem, since I've always been pretty active and currently feel like crap from not exercising. I already blew my low-level entry back into exercise by digging mine and neighbor's cars out of the snow for 1.5 hrs. Felt awesome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk