Author Topic: Drinking while eating?  (Read 11891 times)

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Drinking while eating?
« on: December 27, 2010, 06:43:31 am »
I always seem to hear that while eating it is best not to drink. But it seems as though right before I am about to eat, I always get extremely thirsty. I drink a little, but try not to drink too much right then. I am wondering who has some thoughts on this?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Drinking while eating?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:53:40 am »
Strictly speaking, you should not drink while eating. The extra water is supposed to dilute your stomach-acid and, at least in my case, I seem to have a bigger appetite when I mix both food and water roughly together than when I just consume raw food on its own. I am sure I would do better and feel more sated with less food if I didn't drink water at the same time, but I like to wash down raw meats with water out of laziness.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:10:44 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:05:07 am »
Strictyl speaking, you should not drink while eating. The extra water is supposed to dilute your stomach-acid and, at least in my case, I seem to have a bigger appetite when I mix both food and water roughly together than when I just consume raw food on its own. I am sure I would do better and feel more sated with less food if I didn't drink water at the same time, but I like to wash down raw meats with water out of laziness.
That's interesting. Wouldn't the water make you feel fuller?

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:10:10 am »
I don't get thirsty either when eating raw meat...unless I am truly thirsty before, in that case I'll drink water, wait a little and then eat....
With cooked meats (as I remember you said you eat them cooked a lot) yeah, they make you more thirsty, I often end up drinking some water after eating anything cooked, but I try to only drink a little. Raw meats are usually more watery so you don't need the extra water as it comes as its own complete package.
When I fed my cats kibbles they drank water like crazy, now on raw meats they hardly ever drink.

Dunno if water makes you fuller or not but it complicates digestion with many foods so it could make some people feel fuller or hungrier because its fucking with the digesting.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:12:55 am »
It's just kind of weird that I don't feel thirsty all day long, but then when I finally start to eat I get immensely thirsty.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:13:16 am »
That's interesting. Wouldn't the water make you feel fuller?
  I find that the water helps the food go down faster by washing it down, thus seeming to allow more room for more food.

But I agree with Yuli, that raw foods actually already have plenty of water-content in them, so extra water isn't needed.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:15:32 am »
I see. I eat my meat rare not raw as of now, so I guess that might be contributing to my thirst.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:44:06 am »
I get intense thirst while eating and after. This usually occurs with cooked food.

If you want water, you likely need it.

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:31:51 am »
I get intense thirst while eating and after. This usually occurs with cooked food.

If you want water, you likely need it.
Of course. It just seems strange that I only get thirsty right before eating.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:54:27 am »
When your body gets ready for food?

Offline bharminder

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 12:17:32 pm »
I used to think that drinking water with food or immediately after was bad because it slows down digestion and makes it less efficient.

But I've learned some info. that our bodies use water to break down foods, particularly carbohydrates. Now whether this is true about proteins and fats I'm not sure, but if it is, it seems almost necessary to have some water with your meals in order to break down the foods properly, even if it dilutes stomach acids.

It's kind of a controversy between myself I can't yet figure out if one method is better than the other. Maybe they both play their roles, sometimes you should drink while eating, and sometimes not.

I think it has something to do with the hydrolysis of foods, that is breaking the foods up into its component parts by hydrolizing, or adding water to it. proteins to amino acids, fats to glycerols and fatty acids, carbohydrates to sugars. I've noticed since I've began drinking water with my meals again that my digestion is better

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 01:46:10 pm »
When your body gets ready for food?
Yup. I am taking my meat or whatever out of the fridge and suddenly get very thirsty. Maybe my body just needs a lot of water to digest like bharminder said.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 01:48:30 pm »
From what Ive read if your getting thirsty at all then it already means you are somewhat dehydrated. I just make sure to drink a lot of water early in the day.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline SteakNchop

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »
From what Ive read if your getting thirsty at all then it already means you are somewhat dehydrated. I just make sure to drink a lot of water early in the day.
I hear you, but I do drink a fine amount of water early in the day. I have probably been drinking too much water for someone of my size for probably about a year...
I am just thinking about whether or not I am realizing my thirst when I am about to eat or if my body craves water with my food for some odd reason.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 03:20:34 pm »
I get thirsty after I eat meat, and I drink water.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »
It's true that when I eat water-rich raw foods that I don't usually need to drink any water. But with a very heavy raw-meat meal I do drink some water, usually. Of course, I drink even more water when I eat cooked foods, as they are so water-deficient.
" Ron Paul.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 06:48:10 pm »
Drink your water, just make sure its enough and not too much by feel.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 10:11:37 pm »
Drinking water while eating meat is the "best" way to maldigestion and parasites.
When I eat raw meat and fat I don't need to drink water for couple of hours afterwards.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »
If I eat enough hydrating fruits I don't need to drink plain old water.
Which to me sucks anyway.
I'd rather drink coconuts.
Or eat a hydrating fruit.
Or at worst squeeze a lemon in plain water.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 10:52:07 pm »
If I eat enough hydrating fruits I don't need to drink plain old water.
They hardly ever suffice me. Maybe in wintertime, but rarely. In summer it's impossible.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 11:23:07 pm »
Drinking water while eating meat is the "best" way to maldigestion and parasites.
When I eat raw meat and fat I don't need to drink water for couple of hours afterwards.

Drinking tea however helps you produce HCL  ;)

Am I right? ???

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 11:40:40 pm »
Drinking tea however helps you produce HCL  ;)
Am I right? ???
AFAIK - NO.
Besides you know why a plethora of Inuits need to drink a lot of fluids (usually - tea) after meals? That's because they eat tremendous amounts of proteins. It's ineffective from biochemical point of view.
So if someone is thirsty after a meal something could be wrong with his/her way of eating.
I eat fruits and after some time (about 2 hours) meat and fat and there is not need to drink anything whatsover till couple of hours afterwards. It's so simple.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 02:44:47 am »

Can you elaborate on the part about parasites?

I'm just curious what you meant. I have been lax rvaf for over 3 yrs now and have never really paid attention to my liquid intake, other than cutting out anything that isn't all the things we like (unheated, pressed, biodynamic, pastured, no additives of any kind), which reduces what you drink down to water, some juices/plant infusions if you can handle the sugar (not me), and milks again if you can handle them...and perhaps the occasional alcoholic beverage! And I've never had any real trouble with digestion, other than a few acute incidents, and no parasites that I know of (not saying I have no parasites, but no trouble). Naturally that's my experience and that is all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk