Author Topic: Larger livers and RZC diet  (Read 16898 times)

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Larger livers and RZC diet
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 11:01:49 pm »
I think our brain needs Iodine to be able to use ketones well so an Iodine deficient person would have issues with a ketotic diet.

Iodine is found in every cell and gland in the human body. It would seem nonsensical to assume Iodine wouldn't play a part in the ketone metabolic process. 

'Your thyroid gland produces two main hormones, thyroxine and triiodothyronine, that influence every cell in your body. They maintain the rate at which your body uses fats and carbohydrates, help control your body temperature, influence your heart rate and help regulate the production of protein. Your thyroid gland also produces calcitonin, a hormone that helps regulate the amount of calcium in your blood.'
3 Years on a Strictly Raw Ketogenic Carnivorous Diet.
*Currently still on a Ketogenic diet but have now incorporated raw vegetables.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 11:26:20 pm »
Very interesting. Maybe this is why Inuit did as well as they did on a high fat, low carb diet. Lots of sea food, assumedly high in iodine. And why Inger seems to do well, eating modest amounts of sea food and sea vegetables.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 08:22:53 pm »
It is indeed, maybe iodine enables one to do better on a mostly ketogenic diet, but the Eskimos were an extreme society that it would be difficult to emulate elsewhere, so even with iodine, it's probably a risky approach.

I've noticed that raw vegans and fruitarians tend to report many of the same symptoms as VLCers / VLC Paleo dieters, such as worsening cold tolerance, and one common tendency is low intake of resistant starch. Wish I had known about RS long ago. I think I would have seen the connection quickly and more quickly realized that there was something seriously wrong with VLC and all diets with low intakes of RS.

I had found that increasing my fat intake temporarily helped to make me feel warmer, but then it declined again. Unfortunately, by increasing my fat intake, I lowered my carb intake even more. It was RS I was missing, not eating fat. It seems that getting fat from one's own bacteria helps warm the body more throughout the day than just eating lots of fat at meals.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »
It is indeed, maybe iodine enables one to do better on a mostly ketogenic diet, but the Eskimos were an extreme society that it would be difficult to emulate elsewhere, so even with iodine, it's probably a risky approach.

I've noticed that raw vegans and fruitarians tend to report many of the same symptoms as VLCers / VLC Paleo dieters, such as worsening cold tolerance, and one common tendency is low intake of resistant starch. Wish I had known about RS long ago. I think I would have seen the connection quickly and more quickly realized that there was something seriously wrong with VLC and all diets with low intakes of RS.

I had found that increasing my fat intake temporarily helped to make me feel warmer, but then it declined again. Unfortunately, by increasing my fat intake, I lowered my carb intake even more. It was RS I was missing, not eating fat. It seems that getting fat from one's own bacteria helps warm the body more throughout the day than just eating lots of fat at meals.

I'm sure raw vegans and fruitarians are deficient in quite a few minerals and vitamins and not just Iodine. By the way, starch functions just like carbohydrates when it comes to speeding up thyroid hormone production. I'm sure you know where this is headed...

Risky? Well, it hasn't seemed risky so far but if and when I start to notice any sign of my health deteriorating I'll have to make some changes.

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 12:36:42 am »
That sort of thing did not work for me at all.

Tyler, I'm curious as to how you were measuring your fat and protein intakes when you were ZC. I think you may not have been eating enough fat. You said you've tried the 80% (Calories from Fat) / 20% (Calories from Protein)..

From time to time I've noticed when adding my own raw fat into my diet, I'd measure out say 100g of pure fat. I would count that as an extra 100g of fat to my total intake when really pure fat is only 60-80% fat, the rest being water and connective tissue as Lex mentioned. I've always ran into problems when not taking this into consideration.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 04:47:01 am »
Tyler, I'm curious as to how you were measuring your fat and protein intakes when you were ZC. I think you may not have been eating enough fat. You said you've tried the 80% (Calories from Fat) / 20% (Calories from Protein)..

From time to time I've noticed when adding my own raw fat into my diet, I'd measure out say 100g of pure fat. I would count that as an extra 100g of fat to my total intake when really pure fat is only 60-80% fat, the rest being water and connective tissue as Lex mentioned. I've always ran into problems when not taking this into consideration.
I made a real effort to add in lots of raw fat into my diet during my RZC experiments. I  even went to extremes and would eat plates consisting entirely of raw tongue or raw marrow for my meals. I also included quite a lot of  raw seafood during such experiments.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:33 am »
your body may not have converted over to utilizing as much fat that you had consumed.  I find there is a most definite stop when eating fat alone, especially bone marrow... much more than meat.  Also eating too much fat with meat, in my experience, slows down the digestion of meat to a point where one can feel lethargic.  I often snack on just fat to make sure I get enough and don't overeat it with meat, as it's so yummy that way, or, the stop is not noticeable when combined. 

Offline 24isours

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 10:19:44 pm »
Were you experiencing any diarrhea and/or nausea, Tyler?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 11:48:42 pm »
Were you experiencing any diarrhea and/or nausea, Tyler?
No diarrhea, no vomiting.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Chupo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 07:53:43 am »
If the Inuit do have larger livers I don't think it is because they're born that way. I think it's just the nature of the organ.  You can remove half of someone's liver and it will grow back as long as it is healthy. It could be that an increased need for gluconeogenesis might cause the liver to grow a bit. I can't post links but there is a recent post on Free the Animal with references showing that the Inuit were not in ketoisis. This would increase their need for glucose and GNG. Also, the higher fasting glucose we see in some non-Inuit carnivores suggests that they have no problem with hypoglycemia.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk