Author Topic: Sour meat?  (Read 18584 times)

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
Sour meat?
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:19:19 am »
I've just enjoyed my first meal of tri-tip steak tonight. Lots of beautiful pieces of fat in there which tasted great and were very easy to eat.

What really struck me here was the sour taste. I was immediately reminded of dried meats like prosciutto and salami which I ate a lot during my childhood back in Switzerland, where this stuff was top quality.

It's a really nice taste, just a kind of "sour" taste. I actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, probably one of my favorites so far!

Now, the first thing that came to mind was that these are most likely lactobacillus bacteria which make the meat taste sour since the butcher I bought them from has an aging room where they age their meats a few weeks. I didn't ask him much about it yesterday, though, so I don't know for sure if this was aged or not.

This must be it, though. Am I right?

Do you come across sour meat often? Do you enjoy it? I'm thinking this should be wonderful for my body.. I hope so!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:35:49 am by Caveman »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sour meat?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:35:25 am »
I have tasted sour meat, I usually try to avoid it, I have been spoiled on pasture black Angus lately and haven't been eatting much else. Was your steak grass fed, I have found some grain fed meats have a stronger sour taste to them. You should be beginning to tune your taste buds to lead you to the best quality meats, If it taste good to you then its probably allright to eat, Just be wary of meat that is grain fed or just off tasting. I have had some grassfed meats that just didn't taste good so I wouldn't buy anymore and found better sources.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:04 am »
Grass-fed, Grain-finished, unfortunately, but this is all I could get at the moment. I am going to try to order some slanker's next to compare.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:10:10 pm »
I was flat broke when I started my diet so I drove down to this big time butcher shop and bought a bunch of grain finished meats for 2 dollars a pound (it had a sour taste, but I still liked it, I was early into my diet and my taste had just begun to change. I soon began to dislike the sour taste and once I found some clean tasting grass fed meat, that became all I wanted. You may get away with a little grain finished early into the diet, just remember that the main problem with grain fed is long term consumption, If you become fully paleo you may not want to eat large amounts of it over a long time, because it wont provide the Ideal composition as grass fed does and you may begin to accumulate some negative effects.

I also claim  that not all grass fed is the same.Give yourself some time to adapt, Once you become aware of the taste of fine quality meats you may be able to better tell the difference between good quality and poor quality.

Offline Dima

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:20 pm »
The sour taste is due to spoilage. Fresh beef (grass-fed and grain-fed) never tastes sour. Grass-fed appears to have a shorter shelf-life than grain-fed however. Having said that, I've eaten plenty of sour tasting beef and lamb - never a problem. 

P.S.
Just received my first order from Slankers. Ground buffalo (chili meat) is awesome!

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:31 am »
There is a difference between spoiled meat and sour tasting fresh meat, the fresh meat that taste sour may have some different pH level or is saturated with some other elements that gives it the sour taste.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk