Author Topic: How do you eat tallow/suet?  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
How do you eat tallow/suet?
« on: January 14, 2011, 09:53:07 am »
I'm interested in buying some grass-fed beef suet/tallow. But the thing is i'm trying to wrap my mind around this...How do you eat it?

Does it have to be melted? Or do you just chew it? Or...I dunno xD

Can someone who's eaten tallow/suet explain?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: How do you eat tallow/suet?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:48 am »
I take it out of the vacuum-sealed plastic and put it in paper bags (otherwise it quickly becomes mildewy--especially if kept in the fridge) and store it in a kitchen cabinet lined with what looks like waterproof shelf paper lining that someone gave me. It dries a little in the paper and is deodorized. When it really goes well, it even develops a hint of cinnamon flavor. However, if it starts out overly moist it doesn't dry as well or taste quite as good. Then I slice it into chunks and slivers and chew it. The longer I chew it, the more enjoyable it becomes. I think the saliva must interact with it and further improve the flavor somehow. Sometimes I chop it further into tiny chunks and mix it directly with meat. Sometimes I render it into tallow, but that isn't "raw Paleo", of course. Lex Rooker provided instructions in this forum on how to make the tallow. Properly heated tallow tastes too burnt to me, so I don't heat it as high, which means I don't get all the fatty acids out of the discarded leftover hard "cracklings", but I don't worry about that because I get fat from plenty of raw suet, marrow, eggs, and ground meats too--and lately avocados.

I only like 100% grassfed suet. I don't care for the taste and texture of the grain-finished stuff at the supermarket, which contains much more connective tissue and odd brown patches. I've never liked the supermarket suet.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:58:36 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:41 am »
Phil has a good method.  I eat it straight occasionally, but most often chop it into little bits and mix it with meat.  It's quite easy for me to find suet from grass fed/finished cattle for cheap, so I buy it often and stockpile it in case the doomsayers are right and we fall on lean times.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 11:01:53 am »
100% grassfed suet makes me feel better than any other food, but I also make sure to eat soft fats too, like marrow and egg yolks, because they digest more easily, though I actually prefer the taste of suet. I haven't acquired a taste for marrow yet, despite most people saying that it tastes much better to them. Maybe it's because I don't air out the marrow. Perhaps I'll try that. The marrow fat I buy also is not 100% grassfed, though it is mostly pasture-fed.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 12:39:40 pm »
I just chew on suet and try to bite the kidney inside (so much fun). I'm too lazy to make tallow I guess
bugs or country chickens

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:15 am »
Or if your suet is pretty dry and crappy to chew in your mouth, you can slice off pieces and warm them(low) until they soften up and get moist. Then put some spice or whatever you want on the top and have some fat-snacks.. or eat it with a piece of meat. It goes down a lot nicer like this
That's not paleo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk