Author Topic: Barefoot Shoes and Agion Antimicrobial  (Read 17526 times)

Offline goliath

• Forager
    • View Profile
Barefoot Shoes and Agion Antimicrobial
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:18:08 pm »
Hi,

I'm very convinced by the idea to go barefoot or with minimalist shoes.
Accordingly I recently purchased both Fiverfingers and Evo shoes.
I was quite surprised to see that these shoes- which I thought were marketed more to back to nature people- are treated in a way to prevent bad smell. The technology is called Agion and is based on silver.
Now on their website http://www.agion-tech.com/ they write that it is all natural and safe.
Still I'm not so sure if I read something like this: "Fighting microbes in three ways
Silver ions attack multiple targets in the microbe to prevent it from growing to a destructive population. This tri-modal action fights cell growth in three ways:

1. Prevents respiration by inhibiting transport functions in the cell wall
2. Inhibits cell division (reproduction)
3. Disrupts cell metabolism"
http://www.agion-tech.com/Technology.aspx?id=156
This is of course aimed at the microbes. But how do I know that this stuff won't mess with my cells?

I'm quite disappointed to find that the marketers have added high tech stuff to something that is supposed to be back to nature.
But I'm absolutely uneducated on this kind of bio-chemical stuff. So it would be great to hear if someone is knowledgeable about it. Other people must have wondered about this too. It actually reminds me of Teflon coating in frying pans.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Barefoot Shoes and Agion Antimicrobial
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:13:04 am »
I know five fingers is praised in the barefoot world but in all reality you don't need them. I run barefoot and actually visited barefoot kenbob to make sure I was doing it right. He talked about five fingers and said if you are a begginer, then you DO NOT want to use five fingers. The reason your foot is so sensitive is because it tells you when you are running incorrectly. When you have five fingers on it basically numbs those nerves so you may think your doing it right when your not.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:30:57 am »
i would stay away from these pricey gimmicks.

i also agree with kurite.

Also anything that kills bacteria can be harmfull to humans (think antibiotics etc).

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 06:52:32 am »
Hiking/ walking barefoot has been one of the most beneficial additions to my lifestyle, Why waste 100 dollars?  ;)
I have hit some pretty tough hikes barefoot, only a few blisters which vibrams would have not prevented.

Offline goliath

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
I'd love to be able to walk and run barefoot all the time. However, living in the city there is dog shit and glass lying around. Also right now it's freezing. Not to mention the social dimension.
So, at this point, I still need some shoes. That's why I was initially very happy to find these. Especially the Evo ones (Terraplana). Disappointed when I saw the antimicrobial adding, though. But since it's based on silver, it might be ok. I mean, there are people who drink colloidal silver and swear it's healthy.

Offline turkish

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:19:44 am »
i understand the social thing, thats why i bought the adidas kanadia trail running shoes.

Pretty close to bare foot (at $40).

If you like connecting to earth why not try some qigong.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:37:27 am »
Yea the social aspect is annoying but not nearly as obstructive as eating raw flesh everyday  ;)

Although I was surprised when I hit the first populated mountain barefoot, almost everyone made a comment or looked in astonishment. Like what I am doing is unnatural LOL There are rocks everywhere and it takes getting used to but totally worth it once you get comfortable.

Offline goliath

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 06:42:29 pm »
Does anyone have information on the silver technology and can give an estimation of its potential harmfulness?

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 02:00:24 pm »
I know five fingers is praised in the barefoot world but in all reality you don't need them. I run barefoot and actually visited barefoot kenbob to make sure I was doing it right. He talked about five fingers and said if you are a begginer, then you DO NOT want to use five fingers. The reason your foot is so sensitive is because it tells you when you are running incorrectly. When you have five fingers on it basically numbs those nerves so you may think your doing it right when your not.

What do you wear when you're not able to go barefoot?

Also, even if I did go barefoot almost everywhere except for work and places that require you to wear shoes it would be a nuisance to have to wash my feet every time I got home. I'd rather find something as close to barefoot as possible for the majority of the time.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:09:39 pm by MaximilianKohler »

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 09:23:06 am »
As for walking/running in the cold, our feet can adapt to this over time.  I just ran a mile completely barefoot over ice, slush and snow earlier today.  You just have to go a little at a time, pushing your edges each time.  My only regret is that I didn't start this earlier, although we have a solid month of winter left so I should be up to a couple miles in sub-freezing temps before the weather stays above freezing during the day.  Just make sure you don't run on surfaces that have been salted, as salt tears the shit out of your feet and makes the skin on your soles wear off very fast, leaving your feet raw after even a very short run.

As far as minimalist shoes, my favorite is the SoftStar RunAmok.  It looks like a moccasin, has a Vibram sole and passes both as a minimalist running shoe as well as a dress shoe if you keep it clean.  I presented some of my consulting work to clients a few days back wearing the same pair of shoes I run in, and no one even noticed the difference.  They're a great all-purpose minimalist shoe.

As for the biochemistry of silver, I can't speak to that.  The idea of wearing minimalist shoes that require some sort of chemical treatment to keep microbes in check doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
I like the softstar runamok moccassin idea, i've heard of moccasins as a great shoe to wear :). Anyone know any other good barefoot shoes without the whole antimicrobial thing? I have some terra plana barefoots but they too are antimicrobial :(

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:19 am »
I like the softstar runamok moccassin idea, i've heard of moccasins as a great shoe to wear :). Anyone know any other good barefoot shoes without the whole antimicrobial thing? I have some terra plana barefoots but they too are antimicrobial :(

Use the search, there are a lot of threads already about shoes.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »
Anyone know any other barefoot non anti-microbial just regular old shoes for social occasions besides the Run Amok moccasins?

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:54 am »
u lazy fucker

Vibram Five Finger shoes, vivo barefoot

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:42:29 am »
LoL I will make it simple.

http://www.barefootfootwear.com/

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 11:49:30 am »

sick.

now if only I can find all those shoes in a store where I can try on size 16/17  ;D

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »
sick.
now if only I can find all those shoes in a store where I can try on size 16/17  ;D

Thats wtf I am saying. I might just have to bite the bullet and pay money before I actually see the shoe. That's lame

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »
Anyone know any other barefoot non anti-microbial just regular old shoes for social occasions besides the Run Amok moccasins?

u lazy ...

Vibram Five Finger shoes, vivo barefoot
Huh? It would be nice if Techydude would learn to search, but weren't those shoes already listed in the first post of this thread as containing agion?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 11:44:45 pm »
...weren't those shoes already listed in the first post of this thread as containing agion?

Indeed they were.  It would appear this board is becoming populated by nincumpoops who can neither search nor read...

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 01:06:23 am »

Since you put the link in, I am assuming you have ordered from here?  Have you tried the Stem footwear?  I cannot find information on the differences between Primal/Survival/Natural Origins.  Does anyone know?  It appears to just be the color, but who knows...

[EDIT]

Never mind, they are all out of shoes until Fall of 2011!

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:57 pm »
I am assuming you have ordered from here?

No
I am trying to find a place where I can try them on.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 04:23:34 am »
As far as minimalist shoes, my favorite is the SoftStar RunAmok.  It looks like a moccasin, has a Vibram sole and passes both as a minimalist running shoe as well as a dress shoe if you keep it clean.  I presented some of my consulting work to clients a few days back wearing the same pair of shoes I run in, and no one even noticed the difference.  They're a great all-purpose minimalist shoe.
I bought a pair recently and love them as well. Just a better all-purpose shoe for my needs than any others I can find on the market. Much more breathable too than the five-fingers which is nice on a longer day. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55:21 am »
Do you wear socks with them?
I'm guessing no, but it would be possible unlike vibrams

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 02:35:19 am »
So far I have but will probably move towards wearing socks less. I've got the perforated style and even with socks your feet breathe well. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 03:57:22 am »

You can wear socks with Fivefingers.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk