Author Topic: Raw plant fat confuses me...  (Read 3969 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw plant fat confuses me...
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:59:32 pm »
Raw paleos seem to have no problem eating avocados anc coconuts even though regular nuts and seeds don't seem to be all that great of a food. Why is it low fat raw vegans not only have problems with nuts and seeds but can't eat avacados or coconuts either. They always get reactions to it, we don't. Any explanation would be welcomed.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Raw plant fat confuses me...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:22:46 pm »
I did fine on avocadoes when raw vegan and have had a slight allergy towards raw coconuts on both raw vegan and rawpalaeodiets(raw coconut oil causes far more  painful symptoms). Low-fat vegans just avoid fatty fruits because of dietary rules, rather than their own experience, I would imagine.

Nuts need to be soaked and seeds need to be sprouted to get rid of the antinutrients.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Bronwen

• Trapper
    • View Profile
    • Yoga & Wellbeing
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »
I'm new to the whole Paleodiet idea, coming from a raw vegan (high fruit) background and have only just started including raw meat in my diet. I am glad this topic came up, because when I was completely raw vegan, I started becoming more and more aware of the effects raw plant fats had on me - made me feel groggy and heavy, interfered with digestion and ability to feel whether I was hungry or not. Sometimes a tight feeling in back of throat. I didn't eat a huge amount, the occasional half avo or small handful of nuts or a tablespoon of raw nut butter I would make myself. And always kept well away from when I ate fruit. Read from others' personal experience about how raw nuts can contribute to teeth sensitivity and decay (cause acidic environment in mouth?) so cut out all plant fats for a few weeks and I definitely had an improvement with my teeth, even tho eating more fruit.

However, I have now started eating raw meat - only beef steaks and lamb chops tried till now - and I have experienced none of the above-mentioned symptoms. Still no nuts or avo tho. But high (sweet) fruit and greens (mid-morning), then green salad prior to 200-250g meat about 4 hours later. Unsure tho about which way to take my diet now - high-carb, low-fat, or a sort of balanced carb-fat. i don't think I could approach zero carb. It  seems to be working Ok for now,as I have no health issues, but now very unsure about long-term effects of high sweet fruit diet say on liver etc. I know I need to experiment for myself, but perhaps I can have some opinions on the two opposing 'theories' as far as carb-fat goes? Also some ideas on the healthiest fats - plants of animals or a combo of both?

my understanding (simplified) of the two opposing theories is like this:
Raw vegan, high-fruit low-fat perspective - the 'simplified theory' is that it is the over-consumption of fat that interferes in the glucose-uptake process and causes/contributes to all the DOC that we see today. The 'carbs' referred to here are predominantly from fruit, and the glucose obtained from them would be the primary fuel source for the body. So these folk (incl me until I recently started questioning things) literally live in fear of fat. And in even more fear of the dreaded saturated fats from animals.
On the other hand, from the amount of reading I have been doing in the last few weeks on the other side of the extreme - low-carb, high-fat - the general idea I get is that it is directly the high 'carbs' that are the problem and that we should be eating fat to burn for fuel. I assume 'carbs' here refers to all foods of plant origin that aren't fatty (and I guess in a SAD diet it would be cooked grains as well).

Any comments would be welcome.......i am in conflict at the moment!!
May I always maintain an open mind in my quest for TRUTH - "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr,Danish Physicist

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:54:17 pm »
It is quite strange.

When going on a high fat diet over a year ago on my never-ending quest to restore my health, I thought plant fats would be the best for me. I knew high fat was supposed to be great for us, but just as eating way too many fibrous vegetables caused more trouble for me, all of these plant fats were causing trouble as well. Extreme bloating, gas, fatigue, and basically a mental shutdown.

Up until recently, I have been very low on fat intake in my diet because of my experience. Then, I started eating raw egg yolks and pork belly/uncured bacon and.. I found a missing piece of the puzzle for me.

I finally realize how important animal fats are. If my body really needed something, I know the most important thing was these animal fats (especially the cholesterol). I get no more acne or fatigue and am actually able to sleep f I get enough good animal fats now..

When I first started RP, I was eating a pretty large amount of sunflower seeds and managed to handle it well. I know that usually I could not handle nuts or seeds at all.

Maybe, when you're eating the right foods, you can also eat some of the not so right foods, because your body will be happy with all of the good stuff. Rather, people should focus on consuming the right foods.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:34:51 am »

Up until recently, I have been very low on fat intake in my diet because of my experience. Then, I started eating raw egg yolks and pork belly/uncured bacon and.. I found a missing piece of the puzzle for me.

I finally realize how important animal fats are. If my body really needed something, I know the most important thing was these animal fats (especially the cholesterol).

I thought your missing piece was honey(from a previous post)? Do you find fats and honey equally essential in terms of your body's requirements?
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:13:44 am »
Well, that was until I realized how important the fats were. There are both sides to it. I feel like I needed good carbohydrates which I deprived myself of for a very long time and also the real good, raw animal fats.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »
I grew up eatting processed plant foods such as corn oil, canola, and god knows what else. By the time I got ill I couldn't handle any type of plant fats, my gall bladder would hurt after eating anything greasy. I was having some luck with olive oil for a time, but I started to reject it after a few months on a Mediterranean diet. I used to eat allot of peanuts and I think they were causing me issues , but at the time I felt I needed them. Avocados always seemed neutral to me and I also used a little coconut oil for my vegtable dishes, I could handle it better than most other fats. I bought a big tub of beef tallow and was using it for my cooking , which was a disaster, by that time my liver was to clogged to handle any type of fats.

It wasn't until I went off of all processed foods and started eating raw animal fats did my issues with fat digestion resolve. I am convinced now that most plant fats are not optimal, and even though I eat a fair amount of coconut fat, I don't think that there is a healthy plant based fat substitute for raw grassfed animal fat, in my diet.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk