Author Topic: No more farts now that we're raw paleo!  (Read 15694 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
No more farts now that we're raw paleo!
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:13 am »
    One thing I noticed on a diet that includes raw animal foods for me is no gas or very little.  When I was with Anne Wigmore and a few other times no gas too.  So many other food programs seems to come with gas I think, right? On some of the other forums even following strictly it seems people on different diets seem to all get gas. Do RAFs resolve gas for you?  Do plant foods give you gas?  When do you get gas?  I get gas only when I'm constipated, which doesn't happen if I eat raw animal fats and a low to no fiber diet.  

To be fair, we do have two pages on farts: http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/primal-diet/raw-milk-and-smelly-frequent-farting/?wap2, http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/general-discussion/raw-eggs-make-my-gas-stink!!/?wap2.  I do see many more though elsewhere.  Could be the case in eggs and milk it's because of the cows and chickens being grainfed, or could be frozen milk, I don't know.  It doesn't seem a raw meat diet with some fruit does it though.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: No more farts now that we're raw paleo!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:24:11 am »
I get farts from eating any plant foods however raw, and from eating any cooked animal foods. Eating mostly raw animal foods means I only fart occasionally. I assume (?) that farting is not an experience shared by those on 100 percent RZC diets?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:38:30 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:39:32 am »
I have noticed an extreme reduction in gas on this diet, I eat coconut butter as my main plant food and it doesn't give me gas, every now and then I will get a bubble or two. I think organ meats seem to trigger a little gas, but nothing extraordinary. Sometimes I will get a fart that smells like high meat, but like I said its nothing compaired to what I had when I was eating large amounts of veggies. If I eat to much raw coconut then I will get some diarrhea and a little gas.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:25:48 pm »
I rarely fart or belch on days I eat only meat, animal fat and water.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:29:52 pm »
I assume (?) that farting is not an experience shared by those on 100 percent RZC diets?

When i'm RZC, i will occasionally fart when constipated, like if i haven't had a BM in 4+ days.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:39:05 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline majormark

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »
lol, I noticed that if don't leave enough time between meat and apples or other fruits I get some of those. The same thing if I overdo fruits.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:27:28 am »
As long as my carb intake is low enough, no gas at all!

Löwenherz
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:23:15 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 02:54:48 am »
Cooked food for me = gas, of the stinking variety. ;D

raw (meat, fat, juice, veges, honey, fruit, dairy) = no gas
Cheers
Al

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 02:58:32 am »
Cooked food for me = gas, of the stinking variety. ;D

Oh yes, cooked zero carb: Lots of gas and bloating!

Löwenherz

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:12:21 pm »
I fart when I eat the wrong foods or generally too much.
Recently I ate couple of pears and started to fart quite a lot. I ate them after the one-year brake.
Farting a little from time to time is good. Only too much of it, combined with some stomach disorders is bad.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 04:07:04 pm »
I fart when I eat the wrong foods or generally too much.
Recently I ate couple of pears and started to fart quite a lot. I ate them after the one-year brake.
Farting a little from time to time is good. Only too much of it, combined with some stomach disorders is bad.

Hi Hannibal,

if I remember correctly you eat a lot of fatty meat like lamb etc.

How much fruit do yo eat? Do you eat fruit every day? Any other plant food beside fruit?

I'm curios... most people on high animal fat diets get fruit intolerant after a while.

Löwenherz

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:44:33 pm »
if I remember correctly you eat a lot of fatty meat like lamb etc.
Yes I do eat quite fatty meals.
How much fruit do yo eat? Do you eat fruit every day? Any other plant food beside fruit?
I depends. I generally eat over 100 g of carbs a day. Practically all from the fruits. Sometimes I eat honey.
I'm curios... most people on high animal fat diets get fruit intolerant after a while.
On VLC or ZC - yes. Insuline resistance.
That's why it's a huge difference between 40 g of carbs and 80 g, for example. That's why, I think, it's generally better to eat more than 50 g of them.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 05:19:09 am »
That's why it's a huge difference between 40 g of carbs and 80 g, for example. That's why, I think, it's generally better to eat more than 50 g of them.

Very interesting. And you never get any symptoms after eating >> 50 grams carbs from fruit while on a high animal fat diet? No bloating? No rapid heart beat? No blood sugar issues? Nothing?

Löwenherz

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:59:18 am »
Very interesting. And you never get any symptoms after eating >> 50 grams carbs from fruit while on a high animal fat diet? No bloating? No rapid heart beat? No blood sugar issues? Nothing?

Löwenherz

The way I see it, if one is not doing RVLC for long periods, one is eating enough raw carbs for one to avoid carb-intolerance of any kind. At any rate, if I eat some raw carbs every 1-4 days, I have no issues whatsoever.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:48 pm »
Nothing.
Bloating occures when I eat too much of them, e.g. 3 pounds of apples in one meal. But that's not unusual, as I know lots of people who are eating rather high-carb and cannot eat too much of them too.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:28:38 pm »
  The way I see it, if one is not doing RVLC for long periods, one is eating enough raw carbs for one to avoid carb-intolerance of any kind. At any rate, if I eat some raw carbs every 1-4 days, I have no issues whatsoever.
Not everyone who eats carbs avoids carb intolerance of any kind, and I am one who has repeatedly reported to you that that was not the case for me. I had problems with carbs for many years before I tried ZC/VLC.

If problems with carbs only occurred after going low carb, why would carb lovers like me do low carb diets at all?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 09:24:08 pm »
Phil, you're right.
There are more and more people who have got problems with carbs.
It's not because homo sapiens has got ones, but because modern people have battered heavily themselves when it comes to that issue.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 11:30:12 pm »
I know PP, I was thinking only of those people who reported getting carb-related issues only after going RVLC or RZC for long periods.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 01:59:49 am »

But eating "some raw carbs every 1-4 days" exactly sounds like VLC to me.

So you are eating more than 50g of carbs from fruit averagely on every day (to be beyond VLC)?

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: High fat and blood sugar spikes after fruit
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 02:05:41 am »
Not everyone who eats carbs avoids carb intolerance of any kind, and I am one who has repeatedly reported to you that that was not the case for me. I had problems with carbs for many years before I tried ZC/VLC.

If problems with carbs only occurred after going low carb, why would carb lovers like me do low carb diets at all?

As far as I can see most low carbers become fruit intolerant after a while.

In my case I have the feeling that high amounts of fats simply make me carb intolerant. On a high fat diet I get huge blood sugar spikes after eating fruits. I don't know if this is a bad thing at all. But I know that I don't get blood sugar spikes even after 10 bananas while I'm following a low fat diet.

Does anybody know more of the longterm effects of blood sugar spikes after eating?

Hannibal, I guess that you get huge spikes after every fruit meal as well.

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 02:09:16 am »
Nothing.
Bloating occures when I eat too much of them, e.g. 3 pounds of apples in one meal. But that's not unusual, as I know lots of people who are eating rather high-carb and cannot eat too much of them too.

Your digestion seems to be very robust. hehe.

I guess that you usually eat fruits BEFORE fatty meat meals, right?

If I eat fruit in amounts you mentioned AFTER meat I always get extreme gas in my GI tract.

Löwenherz

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 03:57:29 am »
Your digestion seems to be very robust. hehe.
It's robust when I follow sequential eating + non-overeating + rawpaleodiet based upon foods that agree with me. :)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: High fat and blood sugar spikes after fruit
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 05:59:13 am »
I know PP, I was thinking only of those people who reported getting carb-related issues only after going RVLC or RZC for long periods.
Thanks for clarifying that

But eating "some raw carbs every 1-4 days" exactly sounds like VLC to me.
Yes, most people view it as VLC, but it's a relative term and different people have different views as to what the cuttoffs are for LC, VLC, ZC.

In my case I have the feeling that high amounts of fats simply make me carb intolerant. On a high fat diet I get huge blood sugar spikes after eating fruits. I don't know if this is a bad thing at all. But I know that I don't get blood sugar spikes even after 10 bananas while I'm following a low fat diet.
Interesting. Did you confirm this via blood glucose testing? In my own testing, my BG spikes from fruit regardless of what else I eat (though it generally returns almost to baseline within 3 hours), and this was the case before, during and after VLC, but the symptoms that night and the next day are lessened if I eat lots of fat with the fruit. Interestingly, some 80-10-10ers say that their BG doesn't spike from fruit if keep their diet low-fat, which would fit your experience. I've seen others claim that fat reduces the BG spiking effects of fruit, so it's all rather confusing to me.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 07:30:53 am »
I can eat many kilos of fruit, nuts etc and digest it... and if I'm eating this stuff, I feel fine doing this. I just feel and look bad over-all if I'm eating that stuff.

If I am eating fruit/nuts etc, I do not have any problems in the eating of them - the problems are constant, and take time to wear off.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Blood sugar spikes, Zero Carb and high BG levels!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 02:00:13 am »
Interesting. Did you confirm this via blood glucose testing? In my own testing, my BG spikes from fruit regardless of what else I eat (though it generally returns almost to baseline within 3 hours), and this was the case before, during and after VLC, but the symptoms that night and the next day are lessened if I eat lots of fat with the fruit. Interestingly, some 80-10-10ers say that their BG doesn't spike from fruit if keep their diet low-fat, which would fit your experience. I've seen others claim that fat reduces the BG spiking effects of fruit, so it's all rather confusing to me.

Hi PaleoPhil,

yes, I used a blood glucose meter. The effect is reliable, that means I can repeat it again and again. As long as my fat intake is high, fruit causes blood sugar spikes. When I follow a low fat diet, no spikes after fruit.

The question is: Are blood sugar spikes (in between 'normal' range) something to worry about? Or are they just somthing completely normal?

Zero Carbers like Lex Rooker report high fasting BG levels. This sounds not healthy, IMO. I mean, Zero Carbers always talk about diabolical carbs. And then they have constantly (!) much higher sugar levels in their BLOOD! This is a big contradiction, isn't it?

Löwenherz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk