Author Topic: Bowel Movements  (Read 34638 times)

Offline Rawhanna

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Bowel Movements
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:18 pm »
I've been eating raw for about nine years and have been primarily omnivore for most of that period.  I've also fasted during this period, and in fact eating raw was really just an adjunct of my fasting and a means to continue those therapeutic effects and help me heal up and avoid surgery.  It worked so well I've stayed raw.  Ok, so what follows is probably going to cross into TMI territory at some point, but so what... that's the nature of this thread.

Bowel movements can range in frequency and in composition for a variety of factors. Did you know you can poop during deep fasts without having eaten anything for weeks?  Yep, it's true, been there done that.  This happens because the body is constantly eliminating, whether its because of turnover of dead cells, intracellular waste products, or the indigestible foods you've eaten and look like their now poking out your backside (think whole corn).

In regular dietary digestion and elimination the bulk of food eaten at a single setting can strongly influence what makes it from your mouth to out your anus as waste product.  Waste product bulk and consistency of a bowel movement also depends upon the absorption rate of the chime (the meal you've eaten that your stomach is starting to breakdown), which is also influenced by the frequency of your peristalsis (your intestine muscle wave contractions that speed the bulk along) and the quality of your feed (the organic, raw, blended, synthetic, crap that either have or do not have additional enzymes to speed chemical bond breakdown, or already arrive broken down and ready to go).

You can strongly change and influence all aspects of your entire digestive processes above simply by being stressed, adding stimulants to your diet and even exercise.  And this doesn't even touch upon the organic composition of WHAT you decide to eat, HOW MUCH you decide to eat in a single sitting and HOW FREQUENTLY you eat.  There's a lot of variables here.

I've found some principles for stabilizing digestion and having perfect bowel movements by playing around with these variables over the years.

1. Eat 100% raw
2. Eat less than 16oz of any raw meal at any one sitting, no matter what composition you eat (carnivore, vegan, omnivore).

When I do this I tend to have perfect poops (i.e. it just comes out easy shaped perfectly like a banana and I don't even need to use toilet paper--there's no residue or sludge whatsoever and no constipation or hardness--a real smooth move.)  I can also have an occasional perfect poop on other diet combinations, but these are not as frequent, as repeatable or as easy as when eating on the above two principles.

As I'm a competitive soccer player, I've been surprised at how much less food I can eat and still maintain a dominating edge on the field.  Of course I'm not trying to bulk up or gain massive amounts of muscle, just refining my energy for explosive power, speed and finesse.  I used to eat all the time playing competitively in college, but most of what I ate ended up in the toilet (huge dumps, or many dumps per day) and I never felt as consistently good overall as I do today (as best as I can recall).  My teammates on road trips used to tease me that I should just take my food and throw it in the toilet, as I didn't seem to be using any of it because I'd crap immediately after eating and sometimes I'd have to get up during a meal.  The fastest transit time I noticed in that period was 90 minutes, from raw spinach--in and out and it didn't look much different in the bowl than it did on my plate.  And I knew it was the same spinach I'd just eaten cause I'd not eaten any for quite some time before that.

Now I just eliminate once every day in the morning when I get up, like clockwork.  Don't need coffee, tea, exercise or even happy thoughts... just one good smooth move every day.

But then again, a more constant and balanced lifestyle produces more constant and balanced results, and back in the day I was seriously against anything approaching constant or balanced... and my crap sure told the story.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 09:43:16 am »
Raw coconut works wonders for my digestive system (I was never constipated, but had bad yeast issues... coconut seems to help that condition immensely). One may have to experement to find your own threshhold, but if you eat enough coconut you will poop, although if you are not acustom to its laxative effect and eat too much look out for the exposive cleansing effect.

A couple of small wedges between meals seems to be a reasonable start.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 04:19:41 am »
I like to keep my fat about 67-69% and protein for the rest. That seems to work perfect for me.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 01:48:11 am »
I like to keep my fat about 67-69% and protein for the rest. That seems to work perfect for me.

Thank you, klowcarb! I still don't know why my body seems to refuse ZC diets.

Any cramps? Any supplements? All beef? Organs?

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 01:50:54 am »
Raw coconut works wonders for my digestive system (I was never constipated, but had bad yeast issues... coconut seems to help that condition immensely). One may have to experement to find your own threshhold, but if you eat enough coconut you will poop, although if you are not acustom to its laxative effect and eat too much look out for the exposive cleansing effect.

Hi Sabertooth,

oh yes, I know these explosive effects very well, after eating more than a litte bit of hard white flesh from mature coconuts. Do you think it's a cleansing effect? In my interpretation it's a very harsh irritation of the colon, from this hard non-watersoluble fiber...

Löwenherz

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 05:37:48 am »
Thank you, klowcarb! I still don't know why my body seems to refuse ZC diets.

Any cramps? Any supplements? All beef? Organs?

Löwenherz

No cramps. Only supplements are magnesium and Vitamin D, plus iodinized salt.

Offline alycia

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 02:30:09 am »
Should I take glutamine then instead of fiber? The slow transit is pretty uncomfortable.

I've been wondering about glutamine myself and looking at "Fiber Menaces" products b/c they are suppose to address one coming from a higher fiber diet to LC.  His GI Recovery has 5,000 mg, that is hard to find elsewhere. 

Has anyone used his products, with success or failure?

He has a whole colon recovery package :o

I'm a little skeptical though -\

here is the link to is high glutamine powder to restore bowel function.
http://www.fibermenace.com/store/gi_recovery.html

Offline tdister

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 01:42:55 pm »
For folks eating their meat in hunks with little to no chewing, what is the volume ration to feces?

Graphic

I just collected a sample of my own and it was quite bit larger than I expected. High volume and what appeared to be the solid hunks fused into one (what's the scientific term for "log"?). Upon dissection the possible hunks had no ability to hold form so something happened to them digestion-wise, but they got nowhere near "used up" completely. I saw no identifiable grain of the meat or fat.

This experiment was likely flawed as it was possibly rushed through by some pecans eaten several hours afterward. I'm easing into carnivore but I realized then that nuts are for sure out, the pecans didn't digest much at all. Other than that it was all raw animal stuffs for the previous 36+ hours. I'm still curious if this is anywhere close to normal?

Surely I'm not the only one to poke my poop with a stick.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 03:13:56 am »
Hi Rawcarni,

what is the protein/fat-ratio of your food round about?

Did you need a "transition time" regarding bowel movements after switching to ZC?

I still would like to find out why raw ZC didn't work for me so far...

Löwenherz

Hey L.

Sorry I am late...I eat about 80%+ calories from fat. Some days its more close to 90%.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 03:44:07 am »
Hey L.

Sorry I am late...I eat about 80%+ calories from fat. Some days its more close to 90%.

90%? Wow! And what kind of fats do you prefer?

Löwenherz

Offline alycia

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 11:52:33 pm »
Should I take glutamine then instead of fiber? The slow transit is pretty uncomfortable.

Yes i think so. 

i have been decreasing my fiber and while i have not tried fiber menaces products ( i would like too, but want to hear if they actually work for those who have used them???) I have added 4.5 grams of glutamine a day to help with the muscle tone through the intestines.  i think it is helpful, just take it on an empty tummy. 
Sometimes i do stir in some coconut oil ( i use powder form of the glutamine in warm water), it helps lubricate things if my fat was low the day before. 

RawCarni -
can you give us a day's example of what food and how much of it?  I have not seen many examples of what women eat and how much of it?  Being a woman and all the crazy diets i have tried - i have no idea what is a normal amount of food intake anymore  -\

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 01:46:51 am »
Hey L.

That would be way too low in protein for me, but I lift a lot. I find protein very satiating.

Offline alycia

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 02:17:12 am »
That would be way too low in protein for me, but I lift a lot. I find protein very satiating.

Aha! I was trying to figure out what i would need more of at a meal to avoid the 1 hour later hunger thing?  
So if one is hungry shortly after a meal they most likely needed more protein in the meal not more fat?

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 06:02:28 pm »
Well I eat way more calories than you do (like between 3000-3500) and if I eat too much protein I start to get some swelling in my knees. I haven't figured out yet what causes this, but I am pretty certain that the total amount of protein (in terms of g per body weight) shouldn't exceed a certain threshold (whatever this might be).
I feel much more energetic and more stable energy levels with very high fat and moderate/low protein.
BTW: I am doing loads of physical labour which is similar to weight lifting: coring trees. That is on 3 or 4 days a week I am in the woods for 8-10hours a day and take increment cores with an increment borer (and no: it has NO motor ;)), in addition to that I am running 7 days a week between 20-30kms each day.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 06:07:59 pm »
90%? Wow! And what kind of fats do you prefer?

Löwenherz

Hey Herz,
as you are also German and I am not really certain yet what the right english translation is (i think tallow?): Rindertalg.
BTW: Are you in G. currently and if so: where do you live?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 02:38:47 am »
The raw beef fat that is used to make tallow is called suet, also known as perinephric fat or kidney fat. It's the fat around the kidneys and other organs.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »
The raw beef fat that is used to make tallow is called suet, also known as perinephric fat or kidney fat. It's the fat around the kidneys and other organs.
Thanks Phil-and how do you call just the simple raw fat (not coming from around the organs?)

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:10 pm »

RawCarni -
can you give us a day's example of what food and how much of it?  I have not seen many examples of what women eat and how much of it?  Being a woman and all the crazy diets i have tried - i have no idea what is a normal amount of food intake anymore  -\

Hey Alicia,
I eat at minimum 1Kg of food per day. Average calories from fat between 80-90% (the higher numbers are when I am doing strenuous work in the woods-coring trees for 8-10hours.) I also do run daily (currently between 20-30kms), so my calories and food amounts might be more an example for a highly active woman. 
When I am hungry I eat tons of fat. The other day I had 1kg meat and after i had finished I ate another 400g (roundabout) of pure beef fat. I also eat organs almost daily. All sorts from all animals (beef, pork, chicken, rarely fish).Everything I eat is raw.

Hope this helps?

Cheers Nicole

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 11:11:37 pm »
Thanks Phil-and how do you call just the simple raw fat (not coming from around the organs?)

I think you're referring to intramuscular, intermuscular, and subcutaneous fat.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 03:51:18 am »
Well I eat way more calories than you do (like between 3000-3500) and if I eat too much protein I start to get some swelling in my knees. I haven't figured out yet what causes this, but I am pretty certain that the total amount of protein (in terms of g per body weight) shouldn't exceed a certain threshold (whatever this might be).

Same here. If I eat too much protein I et some weird symptoms, like clogged ears, fatique and sometimes even joint pain. I'm not physically not very active and noticed that my optimal protein intake is round about 100 grams per day.

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 04:02:55 am »
Hey Herz,
as you are also German and I am not really certain yet what the right english translation is (i think tallow?): Rindertalg.
BTW: Are you in G. currently and if so: where do you live?

Hi Rawcarni,

tallow is rendered (cooked) beef fat. The english word for "Rindertalg" would be suet (raw beef fat).

Some years ago I had eaten raw beef suet from grain-fed organic ("Bio") beef. The result was a pure health disaster. At the moment I eat backfat from beef and lamb, but from 100% grass-fed animals only. So far, absolutely no problems. Next time I will try to eat suet from grass-fed animals.

Be careful with animals fats. We have MASSIVE dioxin problems in some states of Germany. The toxins accumulate in the fat of grass-feeding animals. I hope to get more data from the university of Münster in the next days. They found out that in many cases dioxin levels in beef fat are extremely high, many many times above all legal limits for contamination.

Yes, I'm currently staying in Germany. In the next weeks I will be in the region Tübingen (Baden-Württemberg). Please contact me via PM, let's talk about Raw Paleo in Germany!

Löwenherz

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:08:43 am by Löwenherz »

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 04:07:04 am »
When I am hungry I eat tons of fat. The other day I had 1kg meat and after i had finished I ate another 400g (roundabout) of pure beef fat. I also eat organs almost daily. All sorts from all animals (beef, pork, chicken, rarely fish).Everything I eat is raw.

400g of pure beef fat? Incredible! I (still) can't eat/digest so much fat. And I would sweat like crazy as raw animal fats produces so much heat in my body. Are you wearing any clothes during the winter in the woods?  :D

Löwenherz

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:43 pm »
400g of pure beef fat? Incredible! I (still) can't eat/digest so much fat. And I would sweat like crazy as raw animal fats produces so much heat in my body. Are you wearing any clothes during the winter in the woods?  :D

Löwenherz

Yes and that kept me going...The next day at 11pm I was still not hungry lol...but ate still  ;).
It is weird about the fat: When I started ZC I felt that eating animal products only makes me warm-now I have noticed that this is true for protein and that the fat does not make me sweat so much when I overeat it-this happens with too much protein however. very interesting...

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 06:36:06 pm »
Hi Rawcarni,

Some years ago I had eaten raw beef suet from grain-fed organic ("Bio") beef. The result was a pure health disaster. At the moment I eat backfat from beef and lamb, but from 100% grass-fed animals only. So far, absolutely no problems. Next time I will try to eat suet from grass-fed animals.
Where do you get backfat from beef and lamb?

Be careful with animals fats. We have MASSIVE dioxin problems in some states of Germany.
Löwenherz

Yes I know-but I have to eat something...I am in Brandenburg-do you know anything about too high Dioxin levels here? I suppose its not as big a problem as in other states

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 01:53:55 am »
Yes and that kept me going...The next day at 11pm I was still not hungry lol...but ate still  ;).

WOW! You must be Raw-Paleo-Super-Girl!

Could you name some recommendable farms for grass-fed meat in Brandenburg?

Löwenherz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk