Author Topic: Question for those with carb intolerances  (Read 7922 times)

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Question for those with carb intolerances
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:41:11 pm »
Hi im just wondering for those of you who have side effects from eating carbs, did you get this intolerance before zero carb or after being on an extended zero carb experience?
thanks
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Question for those with carb intolerances
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:25 pm »
Decades before trying ZC.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:23:25 pm »
Decades before trying ZC.
Do carbs effect you any less negatively then before going raw paleo zc?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:21 pm »
Yes, suprisingly, my tolerance of carbs improved a bit after my experimentation with ZC. I was surprised because I did learn that peripheral insulin resistance (which is reversible just by reintroducing carbs and so far is not considered pathogenic by physicians, AFAIK) tends to develop after some time on ZC/VLC, and I did show some signs of this (such as fasting BG rising up to around 90-105 mg/dl after being 70-87 in my moderate carb days-- Loren Cordain has even claimed that peripheral insulin resistance is natural and normal for hunter gatherers), but my symptoms from plant carbs didn't appear to worsen during or after ZC. Instead, they seemed to lessen a bit.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 08:44:34 pm »
After I started raw meat once a week and raw eggs everyday I can't tolerate pasta...
I used to eat spagheti once a month without a problem now I feel so irritated angry and discomfort after eating pasta.........

If I eat Fruits in morning After few hours I get irritated and discomfort to make it go away I eat egg yolks and after 30mins Cream Mixed with honey on french bread with tea it makes me feel calm relaxed and niceeeeeee.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:34:26 pm »
Yes, suprisingly, my tolerance of carbs improved a bit after my experimentation with ZC. I was surprised because I did learn that peripheral insulin resistance (which is reversible just by reintroducing carbs and so far is not considered pathogenic by physicians, AFAIK) tends to develop after some time on ZC/VLC, and I did show some signs of this (such as fasting BG rising up to around 90-105 mg/dl after being 70-87 in my moderate carb days-- Loren Cordain has even claimed that peripheral insulin resistance is natural and normal for hunter gatherers), but my symptoms from plant carbs didn't appear to worsen during or after ZC. Instead, they seemed to lessen a bit.
  Makes sense in a way. I suspect that those RZCers who ended up with raw-carb-related issues well before to going RZC got those very issues due to consuming too many heavily-refined/processed carbs over previous decades, so that some years of not eating hardly any carbs at all might sort a raw-carb-intolerance out eventually.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:53:35 am »
After I started raw meat once a week and raw eggs everyday I can't tolerate pasta...
I used to eat spagheti once a month without a problem now I feel so irritated angry and discomfort after eating pasta.........

If I eat Fruits in morning After few hours I get irritated and discomfort to make it go away I eat egg yolks and after 30mins Cream Mixed with honey on french bread with tea it makes me feel calm relaxed and niceeeeeee.

Yah I was referring to fruit carbs, anything non paleo at this points upsets my stomach.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:24:05 am »
Carb/fruit intolerance is the reason I went ZC.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:47:28 am »
Carb/fruit intolerance is the reason I went ZC.

me too.  i keep trying to add some back in. i can tell that i've gotten a little better with them, but not nearly enough that i can start eating them freely again.. yet, anyway.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 08:35:27 am »
Have any of you gotten any tests done to explain these carb intolerances?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 08:50:33 am »
what kind of test is going to explain anything??  the problem is that i did see doctors (i move around a lot) initially, and not one of them knew anything but always had all the prescriptions for me.  and this made me realize that i'd have to find my own health recovery.  so, any food that made me feel even the slightest stomach upset, i stopped eating immediately.  i was left with meat.  i thought that entirely unhealthy, so i looked around the internet and that's how i found this forum.

it gets even better. at the time i was a student... because i thought i wanted to work for a pharmaceutical company because i thought that was doing good for people.. finding the cure for cancer or something.  omg!.. i am so glad i learned better, though the experience of it was harsh.  i look at all doctors as i would any other businessman.  they are so full of sh*t, sometimes not even politely, and plenty arrogant despite how truly ignorant they are.

on the other hand, being a student, i thought "i have an entire medical library full of books and articles that i am fully capable of understanding, and somewhere in there has got to be my cure!"  i did not find any cure until i read AV, and subsequently this forum.

back to your question...
i don't have any food allergies if that is what you are asking.

signing myself up for 'testing' sounds... like a corrupt journey through hell! 

i am so badly wanting to know what is wrong with me that i can not handle carbs well, that i would be willing to do almost anything... except that.. unless there is a specific test for my specific condition.

although.. did you read my chocolate post?.. while i don't handle fruits/veg well, it can't be a carb thing because chocolate (not recommending!!) would be just fine  ???
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:17:58 am by Ioanna »

Offline warn81

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 09:05:46 am »
My doctor told me I had a carb intolerance. Never tried paleo before. Thinking of trying it. Aways had stomach issues...trouble digesting food. I'm also very underweight.

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:06:42 am »
A common intolerance to fructose is getting acne.

A common intolerance to some complex fiber-carbs is inflammation.

Though I would say few people have an intolerance to plain starches, we are built to easily digest it. Many people have trouble with starchy foods because of other intolerances such as gluten or ligands or the fructose or fibre that accompanies the starch. IF you want to test your true carb tolerance then find clean starches such as pumpkin or sweet potato, and eat them both cooked and raw, and make sure they are your only intakes of carbs for 3-4 weeks. I doubt you will have any problems with clean starch, however your body might prefer either cooked or raw.

William

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:10:16 am »
I can trace carb intolerance to age 8.
Recently experimented with steamed potato, after the recommendation of Blake F. Donaldson MD, "Strong Medicine" was his book.
The result was strong urge to the toilet, and horrendous smelling pale cowflop. Compare to the perfectly formed and mild smelling turds of the fativore diet.

I am an obligate carnivore.
IMO we all are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk