Author Topic: Moderation  (Read 7169 times)

Offline dbarth

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • Diet Reviews Review
Moderation
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:15:12 am »
One thing that is not mentioned much is the importance of moderation. George Burns, the great comedian/actor, was asked how he was able to live so long. His response was, “I eat half”. Too much of a good thing can be bad. Research has shown that those who lose weight and keep it off tend to eat a high fiber, moderately low-fat diet.
David Barth is interested in increasing the quality of life through health maintenance.

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
Re: Moderation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:35:51 am »
Moderation is indeed important with anything. However, what I believe to be one of the most important aspects of replicating a healthy paleolithic diet/lifestyle is throwing out routine. Instead of eating a certain number of meals everyday, it's important to first of all eat only when you are really hungry and in a shorter time-frame so your body gets to do all of the work it needs to do in order to keep everything working properly. I've personally always had problems with overeating and food addiction, but I find it easy to hold off on eating until the afternoon because it makes me feel so good. I think we can and should look at moderation in different ways like this.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 12:55:01 am »
I think we can and should look at moderation in different ways like this. 
Very true.
Now I don't eat half-a-year-old highmeats, 'cause I think that's useless and unmoderate.
I'd rather eat meats that are up several weeks old - that's my moderation, which suits me. :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:58:12 am »
I have five-six month old high meats in my fridge.
Medicinal grade  ;D

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:17:12 am »
Research has shown that those who lose weight and keep it off tend to eat a high fiber, moderately low-fat diet.

most of these Researches re high fiber are very controversial, hence they do not prove anything.

and most researches in general are ordered by an interested party or heavily biased.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:59:43 am »
One can get fat on high fibre diets, especially if cooked.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:14:21 am »
I have five-six month old high meats in my fridge.
Medicinal grade  ;D
I benefit more from the several weeks old meats than half a year old ones.
That's my experience.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 03:13:25 am »
I benefit more from the several weeks old meats than half a year old ones.
That's my experience.

I forgot to air it out for two months, so it's power was diminished and I had to wait again.

Offline michaelwh

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 07:33:57 am »
One thing that is not mentioned much is the importance of moderation. George Burns, the great comedian/actor, was asked how he was able to live so long. His response was, “I eat half”. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

I think that moderation is only an issue if you're eating unnatural foods, or highly-concentrated "superfoods". Does a cow eat grass "in moderation"? Does a cat eat mice "in moderation"?

Research has shown that those who lose weight and keep it off tend to eat a high fiber, moderately low-fat diet.
Most people here are primarily interested in gaining health, rather than losing weight.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:02:31 am »
Its literally impossible for me to eat too much. I at first gained about 30 pounds and ate veraciously about three pounds of red meat a day along with fat trimmings. Then once I reached about 175 pounds my apatite leveled off and I no longer felt the disire to gorge myself on a daily basis. If I do gorge myself on a feast then the next day I wont have any apatite and will often Skipp a meal and follow it with a reduced meal.

I have no choice in this matter, I would like to eat more and gain about ten more pounds of lean weight , its just that my body is telling me I have reached my optimal weight and so some natural force wont let me eat anymore. Moderation for me isn't an issue. I can feast and fast or eat frequent small meals, It doesn't seem to make much difference what I do because  my body will make sure I don't overdo it. I will get such an intense felling of fullness that I just cant eat enough to get fat. Even though I get 70% of my calories from fat it seems that none of it gets deposited on my frame.

I think moderation on a raw paleo diet has a much broader definition and is less restrictive than moderation on a SAD diet. One who is well adapted can gorge on meat and fat and it wont lead to the physiological changes that lead to gluttony, that gorging on more processed or higher glycimic foods are known to do.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:40:44 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:49:51 pm »
I think the fact that we do not usually season our raw foods or cook them to alter them makes them so that we do not crave them as we would cooked/seasoned food and therefor we are able to discern the "stops" which keep us from overeating. 

Also, as I have heard, restricting calories does prolong life, so eating half of what one would normally eat would probably prolong life, however the side effects of doing so are usually plagued with fatigue and a sickly feeling, from what I've heard.

And, as was pointed out, the optimum goal for most here is not an ideal weight, but rather just good health.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »
I think the fact that we do not usually season our raw foods or cook them to alter them makes them so that we do not crave them as we would cooked/seasoned food and therefor we are able to discern the "stops" which keep us from overeating.
Not necessarily.
Sometimes I've got huge cravings for raw fatty wild boar meat (which have got the unique acorn-like scent) or horse meat. I can eat a lot of them. They are so delicious :)
Also, as I have heard, restricting calories does prolong life
AFAIK, IF is more efficient, without the negative side-effects of CR.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 10:11:19 pm »
Moderation is just another word for mediocre.  ;D

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:50:42 pm »
Not necessarily.
Sometimes I've got huge cravings for raw fatty wild boar meat (which have got the unique acorn-like scent) or horse meat. I can eat a lot of them. They are so delicious :)AFAIK, IF is more efficient, without the negative side-effects of CR.

I meant cravings such as those you get for seasoned/cooked foods, by saying "we do not crave them as we would cooked/seasoned food," I didn't mean that you don't crave raw foods at all, just that we do not crave them as badly as cooked/seasoned foods.  If you crave it, I believe that means your body needs it, but for cooked/seasoned foods, it is altered to taste better, and you crave it for taste alone, which causes you to eat more than you need.

And yes, I've heard Intermittent Fasting is much better than straight caloric restriction, but I meant as for someone on a SAD diet or whatever diet the quoted person was on, that eating half portions might prolong life simply because caloric restriction prolongs life, not because simply eating less is healthier for you.  I don't believe in counting calories and such, as some SAD dieters attempt to do to lose weight, I don't think weight should matter, just the fact of whether or not what you're eating is healthy for you or not.  If all you eat is fast food, eating half as much as you normally do isn't going to make you any healthier, since you're still only eating fast food.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk