Author Topic: Max's Journal  (Read 45744 times)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Max's Journal
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:51 am »
Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I've been on the forum.  I hadn't done much raw, but about a month ago (around my birthday) I fell off the Paleo wagon.  I am eating paleo again as of last week.  This week I finally picked up my side of grassfed beef.  I ate half a raw steak Monday.  Then Tuesday I ate a whole raw steak today (Wednesday) I ate one as well.

So my meal intake looks like

8-10 ounces of raw grassfed beef.

100 grams of carbs from fruit. (Apples, Pears, Cantaloupe, Blueberries, Oranges)

Cooked Grassfed beef (my lunch I take to work)

I am having a hard time eating the raw meat.  I sometimes gag if I bite off too big a chunk.  Right now I am using a lot of willpower to get it down.

I will try and give updates as often as possible.  I am hoping this journal will keep me accountable.  I appreciate comments and advice. 
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Max's Journal
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:15:38 am »
You could try the other approach, which is to slowly decrease cooking-rates over time until eventually you can eat raw meats at room-temperature.  Alternatively, try raw animal foods which people get more quickly used to than usual, such as raw mushrooms, raw oysters/scallops, and raw steak tartare/ceviche and so on.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:28:23 am »
Thank you for the advice Tyler.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 04:29:47 am »
Hello all,

I figured it might me time for me to give you some information about myself.  Why do I want to try raw paleo and what do I hope to get out of it.

Well I talked about this briefly in the welcome section of the forum but what led me to this way of eating was my injury.  I injured my upper back/scapula/neck about 3½ years ago.  I was doing a one arm military press with a 50lbs dumbbell in my left hand (not my dominant hand).  I felt something in my upper back/scapula give way when I tried to force (cheat) the weight up using terrible form.  Ever since then I’ve had some sort of pain in my upper back/neck/scapula area.

I tried western medicine.  I did exactly what the doctors told me to do, to no avail.  I tried physical therapy for months 3 different times.  I tried lidocane patches.  I tried muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatory drugs, and an anti-depressant (that was supposed to help with pain).  I have had trigger point injections.  I’ve been to two different chiropractors and an acupuncturist.

My best results have come from physical therapy (my shoulder feels more stable) and from adopting a cooked paleo diet (as it reduces inflammation throughout the body).  My success with cooked paleo has led me to the forum and led me to trying Raw Paleo (from reading this forum it appears to be a healing diet). 

Even if raw paleo doesn’t help with my injury, if it helps improve my overall health and well being I will happy.  Some things that I hope the raw paleo diet will help are losing fat, gaining muscle, constipation, acne, and sleeping problems.

So right now I am doing scapula stabilization physical therapy exercises and have started eating raw paleo.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 04:46:19 am »
The main benefits of a raw, palaeolithic diet involve losing weight and avoiding inflammation. Heat-created toxins derived from cooking,  such as advanced glycation end products, are key factors behind inflammation.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:02:46 am »

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:47:05 am »
I started off searing my meat for maybe 2 minutes or so and then went down with the time as the days went by and before I knew it, the taste and feeling I had from eating it, I was already chowing down on it completely raw. I did season and salt all my meat for just a while.. maybe two weeks or so. Then, I noticed I felt the best eating it plain and have been loving the taste ever since. It just felt so right for me after just a few days..

I hope you stick to it, as long as you don't force yourself and feel like vomiting or something..

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:06:30 am »
Let me first thank you all for the suggestions and for those wonderful pictures.  They really do make raw meat look appetizing.

Today is going well.  I work 2nd shift so I got to bed at around 1am last night.  I woke up at 10am.  It has been warm recently where I live (Wisconsin) so I went for a long walk.  The sun wasn't out today but just moving around made me feel better.

After that I went to my last scheduled acupuncture appointment.  It was very nice and relaxing and I really like the old lady who is my acupuncturist but I feel I've gotten all I can out of that line of treatment.

By the time I got back home it was 2pm and I was really hungry.  I ate a raw t-bone steak and it wasn't too bad.  I didn't gag at all and was able to eat it without incident.  I have another one thawed for tomorrow in the fridge.

I think it helped being really, really hungry so tomorrow I will wait till 2 or 3 to eat as well.  Everything is going good so far.  I will keep you updated. For now I am off to work.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 05:09:50 am »
Today I ate another T-Bone steak (Raw).  I gaged a little bit because I took too big a bite, but I finished it.  At work tonight I will eat 2 apples (organic), 2 pears (not organic), and 1 cup of blueberries.  For a total of around 100 grams of carbs.  I will also eat some cooked grassfed beef roast.

I told my brother, over the phone, that I ate a raw steak today.  He wants to film it next time he is in town.  I said that would be cool.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:14 am »
Hey Max, you may want to try some raw jerky, its good and it will help you get more calories in. Then slowly get used to raw meat. Also if you are in need of tasty fat, you can get back fat or marrow. Those are very tasty sources of fats.

I like certain cuts more than others also. You may want to try different cuts and see which one you like more.

It's all a matter of time, much of it is mental, I remeber being similar to you. Eventually it taste good. At leats in my case. I love certain cuts and certain animals more than others. Just do your fair share of experimenting. All should smooth out.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:38:01 am »
Thank you for the advice Sully.  I think I will try and get more of a variety of raw foods.  I was also considering raw eggs, lemon, and honey, together in a drink.  Should I wait a while for that?  I have heard some people have problems with raw eggs, and also with food combining.

Today I ate another raw grassfed T-Bone Steak.  I seem to be going through a lot of my steaks from the side of beef I ordered.  Hopefully by the time I run out of steak I will be able to eat raw hamburger.  Raw hamburger would also be more convenient to take to work.  When I eat steak I just use my hands and teeth to tear it apart.  I couldn't see doing that at my workplace.

The meat went down about as easily as it did the last couple days.  Tonight at work I am going to have 3 pears, 2 apples, and probably 2/3 of a pound of hamburger (grassfed, cooked, in patty form).

Side note: this forum ROCKS!!!

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:31:21 am »
Yesterday I cheated, pretty bad.

I had a half dozen cookies and 4 cups of coffee.

I was at my parents house and didn't have the will to stop myself.

I didn't eat any raw meat yesterday.

Right now I am eating some raw meat and bone marrow.  I think I like the marrow.

Later today at work I will be eating cooked paleo.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:33:31 am »
I am very exited about a new discovery.

I take a pound of grassfed hamburger (Raw).
Add 1 finely chopped onion.
4 finely chopped cloves of garlic.
Spice with turmeric, and a little bit of cumin and coriander seed.

I find this combination quite tasty.  I think if I gradually reduce the spices then the onion and garlic, I will condition myself to enjoy raw hamburger.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:07 am »
sounds delish!  i used to do something similar, only i mixed the spices with egg yolk, and put that with my meat or ground meat.

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:36:01 am »
I had really hard time with eating raw meats before. Then I discovered that right spicing can do wonders. My favorite combination is thinly sliced raw beef or bison steak (usually sirloin) spiced with Himalayan salt, freshly ground pepper, a teaspoon of cold-pressed olive oil, chopped herbs (could be dill, parsley or cilantro) and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Mix together with you fingers, let stay for 5 min. and enjoy. It's delicious!

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:25 am »
I am very exited about a new discovery.

I take a pound of grassfed hamburger (Raw).
Add 1 finely chopped onion.
4 finely chopped cloves of garlic.
Spice with turmeric, and a little bit of cumin and coriander seed.

I find this combination quite tasty.  I think if I gradually reduce the spices then the onion and garlic, I will condition myself to enjoy raw hamburger.

I started with ground lamb.  For work, I cut meat off the bone into chunk sized pieces and eat it with a fork, so I appear to be more civilized-looking when I eat.  You might want to try that.

Ryan

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 04:24:19 am »
The spices really seem to be helping.  Yesterday was my first all raw day.

I'm trying to find a source of good pastured farm eggs.  So when I do, I will try mixing the egg yolks in with my ground beef.

Also I am eager to try lamb raw, especially with some spices.

I am content with using spices now, but after I find the raw meat more palatable, I will transition away from the spices.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 07:49:04 am »
The spices really seem to be helping.  Yesterday was my first all raw day.

I'm trying to find a source of good pastured farm eggs.  So when I do, I will try mixing the egg yolks in with my ground beef.

Also I am eager to try lamb raw, especially with some spices.

I am content with using spices now, but after I find the raw meat more palatable, I will transition away from the spices.

I'm glad to hear you are having success.  Best of luck, the meat will taste better and better!  My experience, at least)

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 02:53:52 pm »
First off, I cheated from Paleo again.  I had a job interview early in the morning (I work Second Shift).  When I woke up I was tired.  On my way to the interview I bought coffee and doughnuts.  Also there is a cookout at my work that I am going to tomorrow.  I want to keep up appearances with my co-workers so I will have a better chance of getting the promotion I interviewed for.  But after I know if I got the job, my plan is to start eating raw hamburger (discreetly) for my dinner at work.

Side note:  It is a lot easier for me to eat raw hamburger (grassfed) than it is for me to eat raw steak (grassfed).  I think this is because when I eat the raw steak I have to chew each bit thoroughly or I can't swallow it.  I gag if the bite is too big.  But when I eat raw hamburger it’s already 'chewed up' so to speak and I have little trouble eating it.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 07:53:46 am »
First off, I cheated from Paleo again.  I had a job interview early in the morning (I work Second Shift).  When I woke up I was tired.  On my way to the interview I bought coffee and doughnuts.  Also there is a cookout at my work that I am going to tomorrow.  I want to keep up appearances with my co-workers so I will have a better chance of getting the promotion I interviewed for.  But after I know if I got the job, my plan is to start eating raw hamburger (discreetly) for my dinner at work.

Side note:  It is a lot easier for me to eat raw hamburger (grassfed) than it is for me to eat raw steak (grassfed).  I think this is because when I eat the raw steak I have to chew each bit thoroughly or I can't swallow it.  I gag if the bite is too big.  But when I eat raw hamburger it’s already 'chewed up' so to speak and I have little trouble eating it.

It helps to prepare, that goes a long way.  I will sometimes prepare my meal for the next day ahead of time, if it involves cutting meat off the bone and into pieces I can eat with a fork at work.  I haven't done any drying but you could make jerky:

http://old.rawpaleodiet.com/recipes/

Ryan

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:30 am »
I don't know where my mind is right now.  I feel depressed for sure.  A Saturday night with nothing to do, and no one to hang out with.  I only have myself to blame for cutting myself off from others, and at times I am happy with my decisions but right now I'm lonely.

Tomorrow, I have a feeling will be a better and brighter day.  I'll at least have my job for something to do.  Not that I don't have plenty to do for myself (if I could just get motivated).

This week, I am going to try to be 100% paleo and try to do only 3 cooked meals (while at work).  Well here's to tomorrow being a better day. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 11:03:31 am »
Go out and play with friends.
Sports or something.
Girls or something.

Why 3 cooked meals at work?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:46:36 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 08:41:04 pm »
I don't know where my mind is right now.  I feel depressed for sure.  A Saturday night with nothing to do, and no one to hang out with.  I only have myself to blame for cutting myself off from others, and at times I am happy with my decisions but right now I'm lonely.

Have you considered taking Omega-3 supplements?  They have helped my S.O. with her depression.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 05:22:14 am »
Well I feel a little more optimistic today.  The reason I've been down is my injury and chronic pain (back/scapula pain) is getting worse.  It was getting a little better for a while.  Now I've done something to aggravate it (I don't know what), and my back feels like shit today (and yesterday).

GS:  I still eat cooked meals at work to blend in.  I eat mostly fruit at work and some cooked grassfed beef.

Magnetic:  I do have some supplements (omega 3, and others) but I stopped taking them when I went paleo.  Maybe I'll start taking my fish oil again.

I'm going to try and do my best.  Hopefully I feel better by tomorrow, or by the end of the week.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 08:25:04 am »
Well I feel a little more optimistic today.  The reason I've been down is my injury and chronic pain (back/scapula pain) is getting worse.  It was getting a little better for a while.  Now I've done something to aggravate it (I don't know what), and my back feels like shit today (and yesterday).

GS:  I still eat cooked meals at work to blend in.  I eat mostly fruit at work and some cooked grassfed beef.

Magnetic:  I do have some supplements (omega 3, and others) but I stopped taking them when I went paleo.  Maybe I'll start taking my fish oil again.

I'm going to try and do my best.  Hopefully I feel better by tomorrow, or by the end of the week.

According to Andrew L. Stoll in The Omega-3 Connection, the traditional Inuit diet has 14 to 19 grams of omega-3 per day.  I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, I am just pointing out that according to doctors that recommend supplementing with omega-3 fish oil, you can go as high as 19 grams a day and it is still considered a safe amount to be taking (in fact I haven't heard of any side effects).  Fish oil can be expensive though, so you need to consider that as well.

I stopped taking omega-3 recently as I am eating large amounts of raw grass fed meat but I think it helped to "jump-start" the diet.  So even if you have to take a large amount initially just remember that you can dial it down once you have comfortably eliminated the high omega-6, cooked and other foods.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk