Author Topic: New Daniel Vitalis interview about raw food, evolution..  (Read 40695 times)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: New Daniel Vitalis interview about raw food, evolution..
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 12:13:49 am »
Even people that believe fruit should represent 90% of the diet calorically believe there are vitamins and minerals present in vegetables that are not in fruits. Because they do not eat ruminant diets high in animal fat, they miss out on some of these plant nutrients that are more readily available there for humans than eating 'salad' or 'kale smoothies' or something. But the fact remains is that a.) some people are not eating the ruminant meats found in nature (that actually eat the wild untainted plants) or sometimes the correlations of fats found for energy. As I said if people are choosing to make up this detriment of energy with modern fruits...they arn't eating a natural diet in any sense to criticize these other methods hundred of thousands of years old. If people choose to do something different, it is certainly appropriate for them who believe we are omnivores to search out these minerals and nutrients in supplemental plant foods actually eaten by many (perhaps not all) of our ancestors in the last 200,000 years. Its certainly not mandatory as people will show and experience, bu we are talking range of nutrition. Obviously the larger population can get by on none of the foods we might talk about as being healthful for extended periods of time.

Ironically, orthorexia is a term devised specifically to target raw diets and any diet that latch on to concepts of what is healthy even when they fly in the face of peoples diminishing health. People that are trying to search out nutrition by emphasizing wild food or traditional processes are far from orthorexic. Its critical thinking that says 'hell if I cannot be the absolutely healthiest person I can be doing this particular program interpreted by a few contemporary people..that allows me to keep a healthy weight, level of energy, sense of well being and actually exude health then perhaps its worth exploring other supplemental things or different concepts that people are claiming are bad that can only be suggested on paper when such things are isolated in a vacuum"

If people want to go a step further and question that since we are not HGs and don't live in a pure environment and are actually starting at a way lower level of health - that we should eat far more of our foods raw or exclusively raw...or eat even higher raw animal fat diets that can be readily supplied in nature because its shown to heal and remove disease in contemporary people..then heck thats probably even smarter.

What DV is presenting is just totally rational information that actually requires very little speculation as suggested and states the obvious that these diets are totally sufficient for absorbing the proper nutrition people as a default need to survive and thrive as human beings. If people are in totally poor health, or want to live 5000 years, perhaps then its worthwhile pursuing something with way more consciousness towards cooking and employing some kind of contemporary raw technology as well as other detox strategies. I mean..I do that.. but still then it might be superior to eat some kind of raw, fermented or otherwise cooked/processed wild plant matter in lieu of larger wild ruminant fat diets and to avoid the common all raw diets of cultivated and limited or disproportionate foods.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:50 am »
Domesticated animals aren't hybridized for certain macronutrients like fruit, they are hybridized for other reasons.  If they hybridized cows to have more fat or protien that would be similar to hybridized plant foods but they don't afaik.  The composition of domesticated fruits is radically different than wild fruit, the same can't be said for domesticated animals.

Check out how different wild fruits are compared to domesticated
                %water    %lipid %protein %sugar    %fiber
wild fruit           81.0      4.9          9.5       13.9     33.6
domestic fruit   84.8      2.5          5.5        34.0     10.0
domestic
vegetables        90.3      1.9          18.8        24.0    10.0

http://cast.uark.edu/local/icaes/conferences/wburg/posters/nconklin/conklin.html
Not at all. You see, domestication of animals has directly led to severe inbreeding, which, naturally, ruins the quality/taste(and therefore nutrient-profile) of the raw meats. I noticed, for example, that the (farmed/grainfed) wild boar I ate in the UK, while not tasting anywhere near as good as genuine raw wild boar, still tasted WAY better than domesticated, raw grainfed pork, by comparison.

The inbreeding has, of course, gotten even worse in the last few decades due to the odious practice of using the semen of just 1 bull to father 1,000s of cattle at a time, thus leading to sickly, inbred animals with no resistance to disease of any note. One other aspect are the udders of domesticated cows which are far larger, due to millenia of inbreeding, than the tiny, almost invisible udders of aurochs females in palaeo times.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 03:24:24 am »

The whole point was to discuss why people on this forum do what they do and its similarities to DV philosophies, not other cooked foodists or other raw foodists that you are bringing in constantly to talk about again one persons philosophy that you arn't even looking at or has any correlations to such. I gave honest stats prior to 2005 of the raw vegan community that anyone can verify because you constantly downplay that most people that eat the majority of their foods as plants will cite specifically the problems associated with fruits as opposed to raw sprouts or even cooked starches. Its only recently in the last few years that there has been a resurgence against that often making the same claims that people are trying to sell products. but the concept is serious and has nothing to do with malnutrition of vegan diets generally but the fruit sugars interaction with internal problems and this is where the documentation is. Many leaders are forced to recommend steamed foods over raw foods despite them being raw leaders and thus seems ridiculous to many people because it sort of is. Anyone can verify this. The fact that peopel in 'RVAF' communities might eat some liberal amount of fruits by comparison to members here is not to say that they do not limit fruits to less than a significant portion of their calories.
Yet you have made absurd generalised remarks about rawists in general not surviving in the wild not just forum-members etc., and foolish remarks re raw fruits being dangerous despite the fact that most RVAFers are actually fine on raw fruits, aside from the RZC minority. The simple fact is that some people do indeed thrive on fruitarianism minus any cooked foods, it is simply that, in the long-term(months/years, depending on the individual), most fruitarians will suffer from nutritional deficiencies due to raw plant foods not providing absolutely all the nutrients a body needs - the body can make substitutes for some missing nutrients at extra effort on its part, but eventually, nutritional deficiencies will occur. I'm a classic case - I did c.2-3 years of raw veganism, most of which was 100 percent fruitarian, and, while I did not solve  my worst health-problems via that diet, my health did not deteriorate as fast as it did on a diet rich in cooked animal foods - I, in the end, gave up on fruitarianism only because it wasn't getting rid of serious issues such as anxiety/teeth-issues/CFS etc. and because I developed massive hunger-pangs as a result, despite some benefits such as slimness etc. By comparison, cooked animal foods gave me chronic constipation, rectal bleeding,  obesity, and such painful stomach-aches that it felt almost like I was being disembowelled, etc.

Well, this explains your past bias against Instincto - you really don't like the notion of Instinctos ( some of whom are  on c.10 percent raw animal food/c.90 percent raw plant foods) being healthy, as that refutes your notions re raw fruit).

On a side-note:-  I was interested, at one point, to read a comment by a RVAFer on another forum, years ago, who stated that the Instinctos he saw at one RVAF diet party were far healthier-looking than the raw-meat-heavy Primal Dieters he saw there at the same gathering.

As for the other claims, actually it is far more common for RV gurus to recommend eating a little cooked animal food or, rarely, raw animal food like raw dairy - which makes more sense, of course, as regards combatting nutritional deficiencies. The notions re cutting down on raw fruits, such as choosing low-sugar ones are just standard excuses given to RVers who eventually find that they are getting nutritional deficiencies over time. Incidentally, note that some RVers/Fruitarians live very healthily even after a decade or so, thus casting doubt on this silly notion that fruit-sugars are deadly.

To me if someone runs the math on this forum there are roughly 2-5 actually year round zero carbers with some of which eating some plant food. 2-5 instinctos with 2-3 of which actually claiming to limit fruits. Then there are a few full on omnivores that perhaps don't consciously limit anything. Virtually every other person will limit fruit in the sense where they bring some consciousness in terms of eating it or essentially eat next to no fruits. You mentioned that DV and Wangram are pulling form unknowns of HGs and you presented us with some unknown set of people that totally skirted the question anyway, which had to do specifically with people here and whether you actually thought that HGs had inferior health to people doing a contemporary raw paleo diet. It has nothing to do with cooking, but your comment that was rather outrageous if people are calling certain dedications to abstractions as health without any of the abilities or health of HGs to actually survive in nature. In skirting such, either you think that the vast majority of people are pursuing a unhealthful diet fueled by ignorance, or you are just bringing up other people for absolutely no reason. There is absolutely no way that I buy that there is any significant RVAF communities that are eating the bulk of their foods as fruits and dairy that are not eating some kind of Primal Diet or largely Weston Price diet influenced diet or a significant portion of calories from avocados, nuts and seeds, sprouts and/or cooked foods.
Well, the above is, of course, utter nonsense. For one thing, interest in raw-animal-food-heavy raw diets only really grew in the 1990s with Aajonus's book on the Primal Diet(c.1997 published I think?). Before that, communities like Pangaia(which switched to the primal diet later on and then raw veganism) mostly just flirted with Instincto, with an emphasis on raw plant foods, mainly.Weston-Price diets are not really raw, but cooked diets so cannot be included as a raw diet - after all, the only raw components of a Weston-Price diet are usually raw dairy and occasional RAF foods like raw liver - otherwise, Sally Fallon et al all insist on mainly cooking their foods, albeit lightly - indeed, Sally Fallon wrote an essay attacking Aajonus over the issue of raw versus cooked.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:28 am »
Actually, in the past, I have  known of one or two orthorexic people who emphasised raw or cooked  wild game over other meats. It's inevitable that someone seeking perfection will be aiming for the most high-quality foods within their diet.

Orthorexia is, of course, not merely a raw-diet phenomenon but exists in similiar proportions in other diets.

As for the other comments, while I concede that a seemingly healthy person should not be bothered with a RVAF diet and could perhaps go cooked-palaeo for a time, inevitably, such a person would benefit from a RVAF diet more than a cooked one, once he reaches old-age. The main harm caused by cooked-diets seems to occur from the age of 40 onwards, as masses of studies done on heat-created toxins show, clearly, that old-age is made worse by these toxins re increases in rates of atherosclerosis/arthritis etc.

While this is not relevant to the thread, I did ages ago show an article on a study ages ago which indicated that the advent of cooked foods in the palaeolithic era might have led to rises in schizophrenia and other mental conditions. It suggests to me that cooked-foods, even cooked-palaeo foods might have many other hidden nasty side-effects on people, as opposed to just harming general health.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:42:13 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 04:17:18 am »
Not at all. You see, domestication of animals has directly led to severe inbreeding, which, naturally, ruins the quality/taste(and therefore nutrient-profile) of the raw meats. I noticed, for example, that the (farmed/grainfed) wild boar I ate in the UK, while not tasting anywhere near as good as genuine raw wild boar, still tasted WAY better than domesticated, raw grainfed pork, by comparison.

The inbreeding has, of course, gotten even worse in the last few decades due to the odious practice of using the semen of just 1 bull to father 1,000s of cattle at a time, thus leading to sickly, inbred animals with no resistance to disease of any note. One other aspect are the udders of domesticated cows which are far larger, due to millenia of inbreeding, than the tiny, almost invisible udders of aurochs females in palaeo times.

Healthy grass fed animals don't equal sickly grainfed animals.  My point was that healthy animals whether hybridized or not will have essentially the same nutrient composition, if you have evidence against this claim I would love to see it.  You can have healthy hybridized fruits but the nutrient composition will still be skewed towards less nutrients/fiber and more sugar

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:01 am »
Healthy grass fed animals don't equal sickly grainfed animals.  My point was that healthy animals whether hybridized or not will have essentially the same nutrient composition, if you have evidence against this claim I would love to see it.  You can have healthy hybridized fruits but the nutrient composition will still be skewed towards less nutrients/fiber and more sugar
  The whole point is that most modern cattle, however grassfed, are severely inbred(and therefore unhealthy) so as to provide far inferior meat to raw wild game. Besides, feeding on grass does NOT mean they are on the same level as raw wild animals as, say, a wild aurochs in palaeo times would have had access to plants(ie herbs) other than just grass/hay. I've been told by 1 grassfed-meat (rawpalaeo)farmer that adding herbs like clover makes a hell of a difference to the nutritional profile of his grassfed meats, for instance.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2011, 09:11:27 am »
Yet you have made absurd generalised remarks about rawists in general not surviving in the wild not just forum-members etc., and foolish remarks re raw fruits being dangerous despite the fact that most RVAFers are actually fine on raw fruits, aside from the RZC minority.  

For one thing, interest in raw-animal-food-heavy raw diets only really grew in the 1990s with Aajonus's book on the Primal Diet(c.1997 published I think?). Before that, communities like Pangaia(which switched to the primal diet later on and then raw veganism)

The question wasn't who does poorly with fruits but who restricts them for health reasons. Again who is this 'RZC minority' and why does it include almost everyone on this board? People don't have to 'have problems with fruits' to restrict them for dietary gain given the overwhelming sample right here.People also don't have to be 'ZC' to eat high fat diets..even though you constantly equate people that require healthy levels of fats as ZC dieters when most people tend to recommend eating high fat is one is restricing carbs. Virtually everyone also eats well over half their calories from fats, so this is not a minority either (on this forum). Since you don't do this, its apparently the right way for everyone to not require high fats

note that some RVers/Fruitarians live very healthily even after a decade or so, thus casting doubt on this silly notion that fruit-sugars are deadly.

yeah and how many of these people have you actually MET?

What standard, What scientific and measurable data, medical data, or just visual standard of tissue quality and overall fitness are you using to actual assess who has health and who doesn't? Which indigenous people have you spent time with? It sounds like virtually every one of your accounts is some anecdotal thing that your friends uncle who attended a potluck of primal dieters and instinctos once said or someting you have pieced together off the internet. As even you pointed out all those communities and people have MOVED ON to other diets. None of these people are or ever were healthy by any standard that would impress anyone that isn't incredibly unhealthy and desperate themselves. Why is my slight against modern people (including myself) that practice raw diets health unfair in comparison if you are citing HGs are unhealthy when clearly their teeth and bone structures alone will likely never be able to be cured/reproduced in one generation of raw eaters? I'm not suggesting some cooked diet will correct these things. I'm suggesting that the claims for raw foods are hyperbolic and naive. We need to supply accurate information and advtanges that people actually experience through raw foods, not report on the things they SHOULD experience or lower the standards and deinitions of such words like health until they fit our purposes.

If we are talking about HGs in pure environments that hardly ate any of the damaging cooked food in comparison to modern people from birth to death were LESS HEALTHY(??) then people who switched to eating raw and organic food midlife? Please! if you honestly believe this then we must get you and all your internet RVAFers on the TODAY show so they can wow the populace with their extraterrestrial beaming health. My 'comment' is always the same and gets shot down the same way. put the money where the mouth is and use all the technologies available to prove your diet will produce better results than the diet you are criticizing. you will say all the tests and such that one can 'prove' such things are unreliable or biased.

People can maintain health on a variety of approaches for the exact same reasons people can on SWD diets can or conceivably more so due to lack of crap. Some can have benefit but the detriments are not limited to defficiences as peole can run into all kinds of problems even eatng healthy raw foods nevermind just supplementing the 'missing nutrients'. People 'fail' all the time even on the most healthful of approaches and likely because they follow some IDEA of what is right rather than what they need to solve their particular problems.

The sad thing is DV presents exactly the proper counterpoint to all this bullshit that keeps people running in circles and claiming they are healthy because such and such is supposed to be this or that way.

He has had decades of experience on raw diets and has traveled all over the world meeting people. Yet he quoted Wangram so obviously he knows nothing of use to anyone. umm ok? Just lacking crap is not enough or people to get well, I believe this is in his information as well. People don't have to obsess over eating wild foods or vegetables or dairy or cooked foods any other thing, they just have to recognize these things are helpful in certain circumstances. People need to question the realities of so called 'health'  programs when the people proposing such are not even healthy. Peple promote Walt Disney like realities where if they just this and that - that all there troubles will go away. My problems with those strategies above isn't that people CANNOT be healthy, its that they have no right to tell people other methods are not healthful when people blatantly achieve superior health doing so. If people want to claim they are doing fantastic on breatharianism. I seriously can't argue that is not true because I do not know, but if people want to rave against tallow or something (which i don't currently eat) and eat a lb. of dates and then claim this is the way we are supposed to eat than there is an obvious problem of logic there. No one can prove which way is 'better', we can just observe the results and acknowledge what the more natural solution actually is, which may or may not be the healthiest for every person.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2011, 11:02:32 am »
I think they are good friends and I think david wolfe is open to the concept of meat eating now.
Maybe he is a covert RPD member here in this forum.

When I listen to David Wolfe I get the feeling everything he says is tinged with trying to sell products. He comes off to me as a sleezy used car salesman, putting the force of his will on everything he says. It has been very effective, I'm sure he's a millionaire from his product sales and seminars etc, I just don't think he really is on the same kind of wavelength as I am. Especially when he prompts Daniel Vitalis to reject Darwinism, while Vitalis is basically using evolutionary nutrition (paleo) as the basis for most of his ideas.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:37 am »
I know this was put together by Bananarider, but it drives your point home Kyle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuGgzI--9ZQ&feature=player_detailpage

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2011, 05:37:18 pm »
Well, there were threads on the perils of domesticated fruits in some forums, but deliberately without mention of the perils of domesticated meats, until I stepped in.
How do you know that the absence of mention was deliberate or meant to mean anything? Maybe people were focused on discussing the topic of fruits. There are separate threads on grassfed vs. grainfed meats and the like, though probably with less interest.

I don't believe that all meats are equal but I vaguely remember you jumping to that assumption re: me in the past just because I didn't mention meats in a discussion of fruits.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »
When I listen to David Wolfe I get the feeling everything he says is tinged with trying to sell products. He comes off to me as a sleezy used car salesman, putting the force of his will on everything he says. It has been very effective, I'm sure he's a millionaire from his product sales and seminars etc, I just don't think he really is on the same kind of wavelength as I am. Especially when he prompts Daniel Vitalis to reject Darwinism, while Vitalis is basically using evolutionary nutrition (paleo) as the basis for most of his ideas.

I think David Wolfe's salesmanship works with vegans. 

Seems we raw paleo dieters are too boring as a crowd. 
Maybe our intellects have gone up beyond the salesmanship of David Wolfe's.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cliff

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:17 pm »
  The whole point is that most modern cattle, however grassfed, are severely inbred(and therefore unhealthy) so as to provide far inferior meat to raw wild game. Besides, feeding on grass does NOT mean they are on the same level as raw wild animals as, say, a wild aurochs in palaeo times would have had access to plants(ie herbs) other than just grass/hay. I've been told by 1 grassfed-meat (rawpalaeo)farmer that adding herbs like clover makes a hell of a difference to the nutritional profile of his grassfed meats, for instance.

My mistake when I said nutrient, I meant to refer to macro-nutrient.  The macro-nutrient content of animals never changes(unless fed grains), of course the domestic meat is probably less micronutrient dense but this is an assumption. Hybridized fruits have a different macro-nutrient and micro-nutrient makeup then wild fruit, 75% of the carbohydrates are fiber compared to the 20ish% in cultivated fruits. Wild fruit is nearly inedible to humans, especially without processing.  Can the same be said for wild game?? :) I don't think you get that we can feed the cultivated cows wild foods and they will end up with similar nutrient content to wild aurochs, this isn't the case for cultivated fruits.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2011, 12:31:01 am »
Well, some people would heavily disagree with you re domestic fruits not being able to be improved, notably those who are fascinated by brix-meters etc. These people theorise that most modern fruit is very nutrient-poor due to demineralised soil etc., so they go in for dumping mineral powders which then slowly get absorbed.

I have not personally found wild fruits to be "nearly inedible". I've tried wild blackberries and wild garlic leaves which were very nutritious indeed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:25:59 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 01:56:26 am »
I don't think you get that we can feed the cultivated cows wild foods and they will end up with similar nutrient content to wild aurochs, this isn't the case for cultivated fruits.
I read somewhere that they tried to get the aurochs back in Germany(i think) with no success.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2011, 03:30:43 am »
I read somewhere that they tried to get the aurochs back in Germany(i think) with no success.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1961918,00.html
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2011, 03:39:12 am »
Gracias

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2011, 05:20:50 am »
The question wasn't who does poorly with fruits but who restricts them for health reasons. Again who is this 'RZC minority' and why does it include almost everyone on this board? People don't have to 'have problems with fruits' to restrict them for dietary gain given the overwhelming sample right here.People also don't have to be 'ZC' to eat high fat diets..even though you constantly equate people that require healthy levels of fats as ZC dieters when most people tend to recommend eating high fat is one is restricing carbs. Virtually everyone also eats well over half their calories from fats, so this is not a minority either (on this forum). Since you don't do this, its apparently the right way for everyone to not require high fats

yeah and how many of these people have you actually MET?

What standard, What scientific and measurable data, medical data, or just visual standard of tissue quality and overall fitness are you using to actual assess who has health and who doesn't? Which indigenous people have you spent time with? It sounds like virtually every one of your accounts is some anecdotal thing that your friends uncle who attended a potluck of primal dieters and instinctos once said or someting you have pieced together off the internet. As even you pointed out all those communities and people have MOVED ON to other diets. None of these people are or ever were healthy by any standard that would impress anyone that isn't incredibly unhealthy and desperate themselves. Why is my slight against modern people (including myself) that practice raw diets health unfair in comparison if you are citing HGs are unhealthy when clearly their teeth and bone structures alone will likely never be able to be cured/reproduced in one generation of raw eaters? I'm not suggesting some cooked diet will correct these things. I'm suggesting that the claims for raw foods are hyperbolic and naive. We need to supply accurate information and advtanges that people actually experience through raw foods, not report on the things they SHOULD experience or lower the standards and deinitions of such words like health until they fit our purposes.

If we are talking about HGs in pure environments that hardly ate any of the damaging cooked food in comparison to modern people from birth to death were LESS HEALTHY(??) then people who switched to eating raw and organic food midlife? Please! if you honestly believe this then we must get you and all your internet RVAFers on the TODAY show so they can wow the populace with their extraterrestrial beaming health. My 'comment' is always the same and gets shot down the same way. put the money where the mouth is and use all the technologies available to prove your diet will produce better results than the diet you are criticizing. you will say all the tests and such that one can 'prove' such things are unreliable or biased.

People can maintain health on a variety of approaches for the exact same reasons people can on SWD diets can or conceivably more so due to lack of crap. Some can have benefit but the detriments are not limited to defficiences as peole can run into all kinds of problems even eatng healthy raw foods nevermind just supplementing the 'missing nutrients'. People 'fail' all the time even on the most healthful of approaches and likely because they follow some IDEA of what is right rather than what they need to solve their particular problems.

The sad thing is DV presents exactly the proper counterpoint to all this bullshit that keeps people running in circles and claiming they are healthy because such and such is supposed to be this or that way.

He has had decades of experience on raw diets and has traveled all over the world meeting people. Yet he quoted Wangram so obviously he knows nothing of use to anyone. umm ok? Just lacking crap is not enough or people to get well, I believe this is in his information as well. People don't have to obsess over eating wild foods or vegetables or dairy or cooked foods any other thing, they just have to recognize these things are helpful in certain circumstances. People need to question the realities of so called 'health'  programs when the people proposing such are not even healthy. Peple promote Walt Disney like realities where if they just this and that - that all there troubles will go away. My problems with those strategies above isn't that people CANNOT be healthy, its that they have no right to tell people other methods are not healthful when people blatantly achieve superior health doing so. If people want to claim they are doing fantastic on breatharianism. I seriously can't argue that is not true because I do not know, but if people want to rave against tallow or something (which i don't currently eat) and eat a lb. of dates and then claim this is the way we are supposed to eat than there is an obvious problem of logic there. No one can prove which way is 'better', we can just observe the results and acknowledge what the more natural solution actually is, which may or may not be the healthiest for every person.
Well, that was a lot of useless hyperbole. I suppose I should address what few points lie therein among all that excess verbiage:-

1)  Talking about this forum alone is dishonest as rawpaleoforum is only a tiny sliver of the whole RVAF diet community.  In other words, those who do fine on diets high in raw plant foods, but low in raw animal foods, are unlikely to congregate here, due to the inherent meat-heavy bias on this site.

2)  Even here, the RZC community is smaller than the raw omnivore community. Even taking into account the raw omnivores who heavily restrict raw carbs( less than 5 percent), the raw omnivore component who don't care about raw carb-issues is still larger:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/carnivorous-zero-carb-approach/are-you-a-zcer/

Kind of interesting, don't you think, that a raw-meat-biased site like this one still has more raw omnivores than other categories?

3) Your naive view on the supposed superiority of health of HGs on lightly-cooked diet is touching and a clear example of the idiocy of the Noble-Savage theory. There is already evidence that the life of HGs was not idyllic, despite Weston-Price's laughable claims, such as Mann's study on the Masai re their atherosclerosis:-

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/1/26.short

And the Maoris were shown to be hardly that healthy on their own pre-colonial diets etc.

4) 

The serious problem you have is that there is precious little scientific data on the supposed health of HGs, but there is a vast amount of scientific data on the harmful effect of heat-created toxins generated by cooking foods.

As for DV, his fanatical support of Wrangham's claims makes it very clear that he hasn't done much research on the subject, as Wrangham's notions are easily debunked with only a tiny bit of research.

" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2011, 05:48:45 am »
...As for DV, his fanatical support of Wrangham's claims makes it very clear that he hasn't done much research on the subject, as Wrangham's notions are easily debunked with only a tiny bit of research.

Yes, it's been disappointing to see scientists, physicians and intelligent amateurs jump on the coctivore bandwagon (humans as adapted to optimally eat cooked foods) after just reading Wrangham's book or, worse, just seeing one of the articles on his work. I suspect the main reason is because most of them already eat cooked food and so welcome a justification of it--aka confirmation bias.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2011, 07:13:36 am »
yeah, again could you answer the ACTUAL quesitons and comments. Please report how you measure health of anyone or yourself other than the actual theories of heat created toxins AND how this would say a diet high in fruits is healthier than a diet that contains emphasis on foods eaten in nature for the last 200,000 years+ - that is if you want to be taken seriously at all.

Fred Bisci, Robert Young, Gabriel Cousens, and Brian Clement, not to mention Aajonus each have 30-40 years practicing in this field seeing literaly 10's of thousands of 'patients' (many of which are raw fooders of various persuasions) EACH in that period. People like Kurt Harris, Eades and others have massive evidence as well regarding this issue. This is EVIDENCE that you dismiss. You are citing selected studies that can prove or disprove ANYTHING including often any source from cooked paleo dieters that fits your conclusions you already have.. then citing people you have never met or observed serious information on as 'healthy' based on the same diets you are trying to defend. This is CIRCULAR LOGIC. I don't care how healthy HGs are...only complete confidence that there is no way that the people you are claiming as 'healthy have are in any position to make judgments on such processes or actual diets found in nature considering your GREATER lack of evidence.

If you want to dismiss any of this with a wand..you actually have to deliver the actual evidence and not just say that people are 'doing fine'. Since when did 'doing fine' translate as what the absolutely optimal daily diet for human beings is -  is beyond me. Also for the last time if you restrict fruit carbs you ARE NOT a 'ZC'er. The question on the link you posted asked if 'you were a ZC'. How does this reveal anything relevant about who is a high fruit omnivore who does not restrict fruit. How does this even remotely address how these RVAFers not here are healthy or not? you are totally incapable of responding to the actual information hand. Obviously there are more people limiting modern fruits then not, what this says is, very few people believe this is a non-issue, that is all that is important, not who is 'right'.

You implied Weston Price gave a cursory glance on the health of such people - which is totally possible- and yet you haven't even begun to open your eyes at all, which is the irony. You didn't respond to anything because you know you entirely base the success of a diet based on how it adheres to certain principles rather than the actual health people actually exhibit. Because there is such complete stupidity in the raw world and on this site that believes similar circular logic, we should be pretty grateful to have people like DV and others on this board actually questioning such things.

Well, that was a lot of useless hyperbole. I suppose I should address what few points lie therein among all that excess verbiage:-

2)  Even here, the RZC community is smaller than the raw omnivore community. Even taking into account the raw omnivores who heavily restrict raw carbs( less than 5 percent), the raw omnivore component who don't care about raw carb-issues is still larger:-

http://www.rawpaleoforum.com/carnivorous-zero-carb-approach/are-you-a-zcer/

Kind of interesting, don't you think, that a raw-meat-biased site like this one still has more raw omnivores than other categories?

4)  

The serious problem you have is that there is precious little scientific data on the supposed health of HGs, but there is a vast amount of scientific data on the harmful effect of heat-created toxins generated by cooking foods.

Offline Hanna

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2011, 08:08:43 am »
Wild fruit is nearly inedible to humans

Hi cliff,
Do you have a source for this claim? I thought so too but was surprised that at least the Hadza manage to find plenty of edible and nutritious wild berries.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2011, 08:38:53 am »
Wild fruit is nearly inedible to humans, especially without processing.  

Wild fruit inedible to humans?

That's a wild and untrue statement.

I just hiked up the slopes of mount pinatubo and we tasted wild strawberries and they were delicious.

There was another kind of berry on a tree and that was delicious too.

from http://www.myhealthblog.org/2011/02/06/my-mount-pinatubo-trek-hike-pictures/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:07:48 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:52 am »
Wild fruit inedible to humans?

That's a wild and untrue statement.

I just hiked up the slopes of mount pinatubo and we tasted wild strawberries and they were delicious.

The issue is not that wild fruits are inedible, its that many fruits in their true wild state would be inedible or at the very least less appealing and more trouble to find and eat. Wild grapes would be even more difficult to acquire in the past..surrounded by all kinds of briars and thickets and spiders for little caloric reward... This is speaking in comparison to the 'wild' ones from 'wild' areas today nevermind the grafted ones removed of seeds and growing in orchards which I hope no one is recommending...

Also what people experience now as 'wild' fruits are certainly more nutritious, but often these are pollinations from fruits that have been bred for thousands of years prior to modern agriculture. Possibly they are breeds from the last hundred or so years that are merely not kept by man.

I've lived on a tropical fruit farm and even with hundreds of trees of different varieties you can't even get a significant sources of fruits every week per the entire year that way for one person, nevermind a large tribe of people. This is only possible with modern agriculture and travel of fruits. People have this vision of wandering individual people coming across fruit trees and plants, but there are no singular areas that could sustain a modest populace on fruits year round even in tropical areas. This is one of many reasons people do not eat this way. Even on 'beyond organic' farms like I experienced and visited, many fruit trees were just massively infested with insects, fire ants and mosquitoes. People claim there was no containers to house milk from wild animals so similarly In an area with larger predators (and prey!), there would hardly be enough spare time to spend casually eating a large part of ones calorie needs (which would be even more with natural activity) from fruits, and this is even in the most tropical areas of which we have no record of humans origins beginning.

This is just one piece of the argument that one can indeed subjectively dismiss for their modern needs (although not if they are claiming the most natural diet over herbs and other -processed- plant foods). The other more crucial argument being how modern high sugar fruits ( or even excess wild fruits) interact in the modern human body that is already damaged in a variety of ways. Even if you could find traditional peoples eating the majority of their diet of fruits instead of meats or other cooked or raw starches (which you can't) this wouldn't be a helpful model for a modern person who has different needs. If the remnants of such a people were discovered, I'm sure people would jump to claim how healthy they were however.

People should still seek out wild fruits, but these still are not of more value necessarily then other -wild or otherwise- plants or animal foods.  Each food has different values for different people.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2011, 11:03:27 am »
Regarding wild fruits having little caloric reward, ever wandered into a blackberry patch when they're ripe?  Talk about being surrounded by calories...

Besides this, acquiring calories is only one reason why one might eat a food.  Humans can't live on just calories, we need a range of micronutrients, macronutrients, and amino acids too.  If life was just about calories, then the smart thing to do would be to just eat fat all the time.  No one does this, and I'd certainly never recommend it.

I doubt there are many places in the world where one could make a living on fruit without importing it.  There are places all over the world though where fruit--particularly wild fruit--makes a great nutritional supplement, delivering specific phytochemicals that one might not get from animal foods, or at least might not get in the same concentrations.  That's why I use fruit, and vegetables in general (mostly wild).  I treat them as supplements...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:11:40 am by Sitting Coyote »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2011, 12:17:14 pm »

Regarding wild fruits having little caloric reward, ever wandered into a blackberry patch when they're ripe?  Talk about being surrounded by calories...
Besides this, acquiring calories is only one reason why one might eat a food.  Humans can't live on just calories, we need a range of micronutrients, macronutrients, and amino acids too.

You are totally right on but I did mention alot of that earlier as with my last statement above. I was speaking that many of the types of fruits people eat in wild form would provide less edible food for more effort than eating fruits today - if you could get them at all on a regular basis. One example being bigger seeds and 'less sugar', the other availability and the other factors I mentioned. If you happened to land in a durian patch you would be flush with even more calories for a period of time although much of it on the ground and seemingly ripe would be fermented and filled with bugs. When fruits were in season on the tropical farms its the same thing (although sometimes its like a trickle), but I was pretty much speaking of what people would be doing on a daily basis year round.

as re: to the berries in general:

Calories aren't the end of it but berries happen to be the least changed fruits (although no guarantee that they aren't variations that have been bred over the centuries) and generally seen as a fruit that can't make much a difference calorically for a modern persons diet or any persons diet. These are the reasons why they are usually recommended as reliable sources of nutrition for conscious diets over other fruits , precisely because they avoid many of the problems of modern fruits even when grown agriculturally - depending on who you ask- and are hard to overeat.

yes you could find a area theoretically with tons of 'calories' of berries, but how many would be eaten in one sitting by one person? Based ion my experiences and all the little seeds, its not exactly like a modern banana or watermellon in terms of ones capacity to eat alot of them. And how many would be eaten by the extra wild animals and birds that would probably actually populate those areas in the past and pick the bushes clean before humans? Also if we are talking human tribes we are seeing groups of people harvesting berries and likely represent even lower percentage of their intake individually, likely if they had technology/tools/containers of some kind being able to transport and then probably be engaged in some kind of drying and mixing with some other food to keep those nutrients for extended periods.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:33:03 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2011, 04:31:07 pm »
yeah, again could you answer the ACTUAL questions and comments. Please report how you measure health of anyone or yourself other than the actual theories of heat created toxins AND how this would say a diet high in fruits is healthier than a diet that contains emphasis on foods eaten in nature for the last 200,000 years+ - that is if you want to be taken seriously at all.

Well, let's see, we have literally thousands upon thousands of studies which prove the negative effect on health of heat-created toxins derived from cooking. Not just theories, but published data proving the point that cooking is harmful. We also have countless other studies showing that peoples' health on a SAD diet improves once they eat more fruit and veg(fruit is usually eaten raw even by SAD-eaters), and it is routinely recommended to only lightly steam the vegetables or eat them raw in order to retain their nutrients- unsurprising, as more fruit/veg in the diet means eating less cooked animal foods which, in turn, means taking in smaller amounts of heat-created toxins.So, it's your POV, not mine, that is seriously lacking in credibility.

As for the mention of 200,000 years, that is meaningless - I have already cited PP's point re giant pandas eating raw bamboo for millions of years despite having a carnivorous digestive system and therefore never properly adapting to eating bamboo.

Fred Bisci, Robert Young, Gabriel Cousens, and Brian Clement, not to mention Aajonus each have 30-40 years practicing in this field seeing literaly 10's of thousands of 'patients' (many of which are raw fooders of various persuasions) EACH in that period. People like Kurt Harris, Eades and others have massive evidence as well regarding this issue. This is EVIDENCE that you dismiss. You are citing selected studies that can prove or disprove ANYTHING including often any source from cooked paleo dieters that fits your conclusions you already have.. then citing people you have never met or observed serious information on as 'healthy' based on the same diets you are trying to defend. This is CIRCULAR LOGIC. I don't care how healthy HGs are...only complete confidence that there is no way that the people you are claiming as 'healthy have are in any position to make judgments on such processes or actual diets found in nature considering your GREATER lack of evidence.
  These gurus are mostly fraudulent in one way or another, so are lacking in credibility. Aajonus has his laughable coyote stories plus his disgraceful pretence that raw-dairy allergies always go away and then there's his absurd claim that his laboratory results which supposedly prove his diet can only be obtained from someone else with a payment of millions etc., Kurt Harris blithely dismissed the notion that heat-created toxins are harmful in his blog without actually providing any evidence against the notion, Bisci appears to promote the ketogenic diet which is well-known to cause a number of nasty side-effects, and I'm sure the others are equally dodgy.   I realise it is quite usual in the field of alternative diets for many people to worship certain gurus as though they were some sort of infallible deity, but, you know, they are just mere mortals, with failings just like everybody else.

If you want to dismiss any of this with a wand..you actually have to deliver the actual evidence and not just say that people are 'doing fine'. Since when did 'doing fine' translate as what the absolutely optimal daily diet for human beings is -  is beyond me.
  Now that statement is definitely orthorexic - "the absolutely optimal diet"!   l) Trying to constantly seek perfection in a world where perfection does not exist is a fruitless pursuit.

Also for the last time if you restrict fruit carbs you ARE NOT a 'ZC'er.
I didn't say that, you are just making it up. That poll just asked if people were eating raw carbs in general or not. Rawpaleoforum is pretty much the most extreme raw-meat-oriented forum on the Web(other than dirtycarnivore) with most other RVAF groups focusing on much higher amounts of raw fruit/veg in their diet, yet raw omnivores outnumber the RZCers even here. If most RVAFers truly believed in your notions that raw fruit was a deadly poison, one would naturally expect the RZC portion to be much higher. And, like I said before, as this is a "palaeo" site as well as a "raw" one, naturally the people here automatically eat more raw animal foods than raw plant foods anyway, without necessarily viewing raw fruits as "evil", just limiting them because they do not provide sufficient calories or because they are not "complete foods"  in the way raw animal foods are, or because they more quickly feel fuller on a meal of raw meat/fat than on raw fruit.

You implied Weston Price gave a cursory glance on the health of such people - which is totally possible- and yet you haven't even begun to open your eyes at all, which is the irony. You didn't respond to anything because you know you entirely base the success of a diet based on how it adheres to certain principles rather than the actual health people actually exhibit. Because there is such complete stupidity in the raw world and on this site that believes similar circular logic, we should be pretty grateful to have people like DV and others on this board actually questioning such things.
B*llsh*t , of course. My views on diet are based purely on mine and many other RVAFers' experiences/health-recovery, not on some naive ideology based on flawed gurus, like yours are. I realise that there will always be naive people helping DV and others get rich by buying their deer-antler extracts and other such nonsense, can't be helped.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 04:52:13 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk