Author Topic: New Daniel Vitalis interview about raw food, evolution..  (Read 40685 times)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: New Daniel Vitalis interview about raw food, evolution..
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:05 pm »
I don't have a cynicism to the idea of people achieving health on a variety of raw and non raw approaches. Eating small amounts of animal foods is not a problem. People claiming one HAS to do this or that in order to be healthy is a problem and disservice to peoples health, particularly when it goes against other peoples results doing the opposite even on this site with less variables and more things in common that end up refuting such one sized fits all mentalities and arguments. Statistically on the internet, people saying the MOST things people should or should not do are probably the least healthiest people one could ever meet and generally have huge mental blocks in terms of understanding that many different types of things can be of value or be deceivingly harmful. You can see this phenomena all the time in generic health (tofu, whole grains etc..) or in clearly unnatural raw food ideologies/communities and yet people have blocks in accepting 'natural' foods can be bad..even when they are anything but natural.

Now that statement is definitely orthorexic - "the absolutely optimal diet"!   l) Trying to constantly seek perfection in a world where perfection does not exist is a fruitless pursuit.

You are the one presenting people as having optimal health over the diets DV is presenting - this is obvious - even though this diet is clearly at the very least improvements over societal norms. Many of the such people you are praising probably don't have better health or longevity than people on SWD or as I said - anything a normal person would recognize as health. So, that is the murky area you are in between theories..and practical application. The idea the others are orthorexic is ridiculous and some kind of bizarre attack - as essentially we are talking entirely -as usual on this site - about people that do not meet YOUR standards for healthy improvement.

I don't pursue what is the highest diet, I pursue and recommend people choose diets that will give them results and not strive for artificial IDEAS that can produce actually poor results. That and I recommend not choosing massive cynicism and attacking of others who have information of value as a 'staff of life' either.

yeah, again could you answer the ACTUAL quesitons and comments. Please report how you measure health of anyone or yourself other than the actual theories of heat created toxins AND how this would say a diet high in fruits is healthier than a diet that contains emphasis on foods eaten in nature for the last 200,000 years+ - that is if you want to be taken seriously at all.

You didn't respond to anything because you know you entirely base the success of a diet based on how it adheres to certain principles rather than the actual health people actually exhibit.
Well, let's see, we have literally thousands upon thousands of studies which prove the negative effect on health of heat-created toxins derived from cooking.
Seeing since you answered in the most ridiculous fashion to whether or not you and others were actually healthy, I would also love to see these "thousands and thousands" of studies on cooked food by cooked food users that will suggest that ANY permutation of 100% raw diets under the sun will provide better health diet than those that are structured around natural eating contain marginal amounts of cooking in addition to raw food. This is what we are speaking of and not grain-fed cooked diets or any other such thing these studies isolate.
and I'm sure the others are equally dodgy.
Again, if you can not respond with your actual concrete and not anecdotal health or that of others that have suffered at DV's particular program or the other people mentioned (and not any other cooked or raw permutation) you DON"T have any integrity to take in this discussion as you are talking about something unrelated and ignorant of these issues.
---
Since I know you will not provide this above requrest on the health of yourself or on any of these so called 'success stories' of people you have never met I suggest the best way to resolve this is for me to actually try to contact Daniel and say that basically one of the founders of rawpaleoforum and 'raw paleo diet' all-expert thinks the information he supplies is totally not worth considering and the reasons why and that you would love to engage with him in a recorded debate over youtube the next time he is in London. I'm sure that would prove entirely fascinating and probably an eye opener for both his supporters and the members on this site.

---

I will try to set this up, just let me know.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:15:35 pm by KD »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2011, 12:16:50 am »
I don't have a cynicism to the idea of people achieving health on a variety of raw and non raw approaches. Eating small amounts of animal foods is not a problem. People claiming one HAS to do this or that in order to be healthy is a problem and disservice to peoples health, particularly when it goes against other peoples results doing the opposite even on this site with less variables and more things in common that end up refuting such one sized fits all mentalities and arguments. Statistically on the internet, people saying the MOST things people should or should not do are probably the least healthiest people one could ever meet and generally have huge mental blocks in terms of understanding that many different types of things can be of value or be deceivingly harmful. You can see this phenomena all the time in generic health (tofu, whole grains etc..) or in clearly unnatural raw food ideologies/communities and yet people have blocks in accepting 'natural' foods can be bad..even when they are anything but natural.
  Ah, now we are getting somewhere. I am not, incidentally, suggesting that no other diet will ever work for curing health-problems, merely that a raw, palaeolithic diet works better than other diets at getting rid of other health-problems  in most cases. I have, after all, come across various people in the past who have reported recovering their health after eating just raw, grainfed meats or people who have gotten rid of certain conditions with the help of a cooked-palaeolithic diet or whatever. It all depends on the person; if the individual is only suffering from a very mild condition, then numerous diets, whether raw or cooked, will likely solve the problem.

Of course, you are at a bit of a disadvantage here, as most people who come to RVAF diets usually do so only after having tried all other kinds of diets around and failing on the latter as regards improving their health. After all, eating raw meat is the biggest dietary obstacle a human can encounter, on a psychological level.

You are the one presenting people as having optimal health over the diets DV is presenting - this is obvious - even though this diet is clearly at the very least improvements over societal norms. Many of the such people you are praising probably don't have better health or longevity than people on SWD or as I said - anything a normal person would recognize as health.
  This is all just hopelessly biased, and, besides, I was pointing out that you were using terms which only an orthorexic would use, not others like DV - I am sure that he is just another unscrupulous guru on the make, not an orthorexic.

Seeing since you answered in the most ridiculous fashion to whether or not you and others were actually healthy, I would also love to see these "thousands and thousands" of studies on cooked food by cooked food users that will suggest that ANY permutation of 100% raw diets under the sun will provide better health diet than those that are structured around natural eating contain marginal amounts of cooking in addition to raw food. This is what we are speaking of and not grain-fed cooked diets or any other such thing these studies isolate.Again, if you can not respond with your actual concrete and not anecdotal health or that of others that have suffered at DV's particular program or the other people mentioned (and not any other cooked or raw permutation) you DON"T have any integrity to take in this discussion as you are talking about something unrelated and ignorant of these issues.
Well, clearly you have no integrity whatsoever, as, first of all, I never did  suggest that absolutely ALL types of raw combinations are 100 percent healthy, or that absolutely all cooked diets are always 100 percent unhealthy in all respects - you are twisting my words as usual. I have been the first to admit that some cooked diets have worked for some people as regards getting rid of some health-problems, I am simply highly sceptical that they are as good or better than a raw, palaeolithic diet, given so many reports from RVAFers about how useless
other cooked diets were as regards improving their health.
There is a degree in everything, of course. Some people will do wrong things on a raw diet(such as only eating raw plant foods or eating raw foods they are allergic to etc.) but the exact same applies also to those on cooked diets who will also freely make mistakes.
---Again, if you can not respond with your actual concrete and not anecdotal health or that of others that have suffered at DV's particular program or the other people mentioned (and not any other cooked or raw permutation) you DON"T have any integrity to take in this discussion as you are talking about something unrelated and ignorant of these issues.
Since I know you will not provide this above requrest on the health of yourself or on any of these so called 'success stories' of people you have never met I suggest the best way to resolve this is for me to actually try to contact Daniel and say that basically one of the founders of rawpaleoforum and 'raw paleo diet' all-expert thinks the information he supplies is totally not worth considering and the reasons why and that you would love to engage with him in a recorded debate over youtube the next time he is in London. I'm sure that would prove entirely fascinating and probably an eye opener for both his supporters and the members on this site.

---

I will try to set this up, just let me know.
  Well, first of all, I am not a diet-guru so hardly have to justify my criticism - it is Vitalis, if anyone, who should be explaining why he supports Wrangham's ideas despite Wrangham's notions being ridiculed by most other palaeoanthropologists for a number of scientific reasons -  nor do I have Vitalis's charisma so what would be the point of an open debate? Such debates are not won by the guy with the most points in his favour, but by the most charismatic speaker. So, even if DV is a complete and utter fraud, he could easily win the debate by playing to the gallery, being dishonest etc.

Incidentally, your mention/dismissal  of studies done on (cooked)grainfed meats is irrelevant as heat-created toxins are formed by cooking any foods, even 100 percent grassfed meats.

So, to cut things down to the essentials:- 

1) Vitalis has blindly supported Wrangham despite Wrangham's theories not having any credibility in the scientific community. Suggests that DV is not strong on the scientific aspect of things.

2)  Has Vitalis ever referred to the heat-created toxins in cooked foods? If not, that's one more strike against him as even Loren Cordain has referred to them(Wrangham even did once, very, very reluctantly in one interview, when pressed!)

3)Endless numbers of studies have shown that peoples' health deteriorates as the amounts of heat-created toxins in their bodies rises. Similiarly, studies have also shown that when levels of those heat-created toxins are reduced, the person's health-problem is alleviated in tandem.

Incidentally, I am not so bothered with DV personally - I just find this blatant need for guru-worship within all dietary communities to be a bit absurd.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:48:00 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2011, 12:55:45 pm »
I think its good to have Disciples of different RAF camps getting mainstream attention. Once a guru draws someone to the basic principles of raw animal foods then its up to the individual to take the next step, which is to awaking the inner shaman and start to follow what works best. There has never been a single dietary method that was universally successful, so no matter how healthy the Guru is, there will be no guarantee that his or her diet will be universally successful among even the loyalist of followers.

The tribal elders and shamans of paleo times had to find a way of life that was particular to the needs of the community as well as the wants of individuals. The early Gurus were experienced elders of the tribal community and their experiences were more in tune with the nature of their disciples because they shared both environmental habitat and  specific genetic traits. The Gurus of today are far more removed from their followers than the shamans were to their tribes people of paleo times and so its more important than ever for us not to follow a Guru blindly.  Once you become initiated into raw animal food adaption, then you should work on awaking your inner shaman, so that you can structure your optimal diet based on your own intuition.

I really understood what DV was saying about his shamanistic nutrition vision of using your inner shaman to discover a diet that best fits your needs. Shamanistic states of being can be developed and used to seek out health and wellness,  Early man communed with nature in this shamanistic realm and developed ways of living in biological harmony and learned what to eat and what to avoid. The shaman develops these powers of discernment by learning from and paying close attention to interactions with the natural environment.

There was never a single dietary practice that could be universally applied to everyone.Paleo Man had seek out an individual path that had to be flexible and adaptive to environmental variables The many ordeals presented by natures variations had to be dealt with by shamanistic nutrition. Perhaps the larger brains of our ancestors had a more highly developed limbic system that was more geared to the development of instinctive intuition.  They had a more developed shamanistic power of divining what the body and mind require in relation to whatever environment they were confronted with. I find it promising to think that it is possible to rediscover the shamanistic nature of oneself and use it to guide us back to a path where our health can reach fullest potential.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:22:51 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2011, 10:27:12 pm »
Denise Minger may be a better representative guru for RPD-type views than Daniel Vitalis:

A word on cooking

Although we have adapted to the energy density of cooked food, we haven’t necessarily adapted to all the new substances cooking produces. Charred meat, for instance, contains compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) known to contribute to cancer in humans. Acrylamide, another human carcinogen, occurs when many starch-based foods are heated. Maillard molecules and glycotoxins crop up in browned foods, and these suckers contribute to inflammation and other unpleasant conditions (research here is still in its infancy). And eating high-temperature cooked food may also accelerate aging due to advanced glycation end products.

In other words, there’s good reason to include plenty of fresh, raw foods in your diet even if you don’t jump on the 100% raw bandwagon. And high-temperature cooking seems to stir up all sorts of trouble, so if you prefer to eat some cooked food, gentle methods like steaming are the safest way to go.
--Denise Minger, http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/03/18/what-is-the-optimal-diet-for-humans-part-2/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:37:28 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2011, 11:31:33 pm »
http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/03/08/what-is-the-optimal-diet-for-humans-part/

Raw vegan history goes something like this. Once upon a time, early humans lived in a gentle, beautiful, tropical paradise. We frolicked, we played, we loved, we laughed. And nature catered to our whims. We spent our sun-dappled days picking ripe fruit off of trees, living long, disease-free lives and dying quietly on beds of mango peels. We rarely had to kill other creatures for our own survival—not with all that luscious fruit around!—so we adapted to a mainly vegan diet. Then one day, someone started cooking and the whole world went to sh**. The end.  Denise Minger

I like her sense of humor

I find her Ideas refreshing and down to earth, they seem to mirror many of my own discovery's.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2011, 02:00:41 am »
I know this was put together by Bananarider, but it drives your point home Kyle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuGgzI--9ZQ&feature=player_detailpage

I sum up David Wolfe's business model "omne ignoratum pro magnifico"

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2011, 02:39:07 am »
Denise Minger may be a better representative guru for RPD-type views than Daniel Vitalis:

A word on cooking

Although we have adapted to the energy density of cooked food, we haven’t necessarily adapted to all the new substances cooking produces. Charred meat, for instance, contains compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs) known to contribute to cancer in humans. Acrylamide, another human carcinogen, occurs when many starch-based foods are heated. Maillard molecules and glycotoxins crop up in browned foods, and these suckers contribute to inflammation and other unpleasant conditions (research here is still in its infancy). And eating high-temperature cooked food may also accelerate aging due to advanced glycation end products.

In other words, there’s good reason to include plenty of fresh, raw foods in your diet even if you don’t jump on the 100% raw bandwagon. And high-temperature cooking seems to stir up all sorts of trouble, so if you prefer to eat some cooked food, gentle methods like steaming are the safest way to go.
--Denise Minger, http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/03/18/what-is-the-optimal-diet-for-humans-part-2/
  Now that's impressive. Very few of the pro-cooked diet gurus will admit that heat-created toxins derived from cooking are a problem. The only other honourable exception I can think of is Loren Cordain who similiarly suggests things like slow-cooking at a lower temperature to reduce toxin-formation.  I mean there is now so much scientific data out there on  the negative effects of cooking that it's just dishonest not to address some of it.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:44 pm »
Incidentally, I am not so bothered with DV personally - I just find this blatant need for guru-worship within all dietary communities to be a bit absurd.

sigh,

Like many people on this forum or other 'health' forums with legitimate experience and with 'unwanted' discoveries, Daniel is an experienced  (10+ year) raw fooder that does indeed have experience with raw meat diets, so obviously knows most the arguments for heat created toxins. Many people here also have experiences with 100% raw meat oriented diets, have read the articles on cooked food toxins of course and will concur that cultured, juiced, brewed or cooked vegetables and starches (if not some outright arguing for benefits cooked fats or even meats over a diets high in fruits ) have advantages and value over other unnatural totalities of other raw diets. This is a unknown and open discussion. People can talk about this openly but one does not 'lose' an argument based on which diet has more measurable toxins in it.

One does not have to promote at all that cooking can 'add health' to notice that by at least the conventional definition of the term health.. ..humans have indeed adapted to cooking far better than to other things that are clearly not food, even raw materials, like certain plant matter, minerals directly from rocks, and full on photosynthesis. Unless one is to give a caveat that humans have not evolved to living 100% optimally eating cooked food the evidence currently suggests that people can build tissues with cooked foods that they cannot with things that are obviously not food, even when naturally occurring.

Many people's health have not increased eating diets devoid of toxins, even people here eating self-described healthy ones that contain the 'right' nutrients'. Because of this - which is one of the only things I can reasonable say in regards to health is a 'fact' right now- one needs to greatly alter this definition of a health forming diet to be inclusive of any strategies that have the potential to create health.

We should not take a definition of health out of the incredibly abstract as to entirely lose its meaning and only praise things that fit this definition if we are citing that people in the last 200,00o(!) years were not optimally healthy humans.

--

as I tried to point out quite clearly, the issue of integrity is that you are doing precisely what you are accusing those who promote cooking as acceptable: you are citing a theory of why people should be healthy rather than providing any actual evidence of health people actually exhibit, other than what people including myself usually claim which is that raw or all-raw can be used as a tool to increase health. Anyone who presents vitamins and drugs could also easily use this mode of 'scientific' reasoning if we are not actually looking at the results of such practices.

You make wide reaching comments all over this thread as per usual like you recent cold defies what all the /raw food/instincto/Primal/theories of illness as detox, which again no one can label as 'wrong' but obviously is neither a open, genuine, or scientific form of reasoning, never-mind one that most 100% raw camps and individuals here would agree.

You refer to ZC diets as viable strategies when it is convenient for an argument (at least for people that 'don't handle carbs well') whatever that means ..and just above say all ketogenic diets are harmful even though all zero carbs diets, and many of the diets practiced on this page are ketogenic or at least in ketonuria. So obviously based on your arguments with many people eating such diets, you don't particularly respect those as optimal strategies -particularly when they embrace cooking. I cited an argument that suggested very few of the people that are 'omnivores' including VLC dieters eat a high percentage of their foods as fruit sugars, and you gave a bunch of really outright incorrect information as to why people did that or what percentages they were based on the number of people identified as ZC'ers.

FYI Fred Bisci is a 40+ year 100% raw foodist that does not recommend a ketogenic diet like you say above, so I will continue to believe that you have actually never invested in studying any of those individuals writings or studies on high fruit diets in regard to the blood and tissue qualities. He is someone who observed that people eating 100% raw 'pure of toxin'  fruit oriented diets can become so blood toxic that they become incapable of building health, that are then reversed without adding any animal foods but going off such diets completely, and not just adding more varieties of foods. Ditto all the other people mentioned including Aajonus, who obviously uses additional nutritional tools.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:14:34 am by KD »

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2011, 12:11:04 am »
 Ah, now we are getting somewhere. I am not, incidentally, suggesting that no other diet will ever work for curing health-problems, merely that a raw, palaeolithic diet works better than other diets at getting rid of other health-problems  in most cases.

How is anyone now to trust this overture now to cooked diets just being 'sub-par' in comparison to a 'raw paleo diet' - with today's materials and problems on in today's environment - if you are saying that people who lived in pure environments like the Inuit and the plains Indians were outright-not healthy. By this statement, it actually would be fairly unlikely to build health with some poor imitation of such a diet.

I asked what standard people exhibit that IS healthy other the IDEA that they avoid cooked food toxins. I put forth what to me is a rather uncontested idea (although not possibly 100% known) that people's practices of the last 100's nevermind thousands of years exhibited health far beyond what many today could hope to experience eating 100% raw, and also that most people on this forum will cite HGs as some rationality or point of proof for for such a diet. I do not believe replicating what they did will get those results, but do believe very few people will be able to obtain such health merely eating a raw food diet and believe the proof is in the pudding there if we were actually to compare peoples' true state of well being and physical tissue.

I was never contesting that toxins wern't found in cooked grass-fed meat or that raw diets can't indeed be used to create the best health or even a health that hasn't' been seen in 100,000 of years..Its possible, I just believe this to be incredibly unlikely that most (perhaps not all) people participating in such 'pure' diets are personally exhibiting health of people even hundreds of years ago that were largely removed from civilization. This also applies to even some rare people today that for whatever reason are able to maintain some non-vegan/raw-ideology of health when eating what we could call complete garbage. I was pointing out the obvious that people avoiding toxins will not automatically be healthy and that people eating even the most of these toxins can live a life of higher health and longevity than diets than those that Daniel points out remain are largely untested scientifically on contemporary humans.

What is so clear with his thinking is that if these proposed optimal diets are not working to give us the best health improvements, then the intelligent decision is to adapt whole diets and lifestyle that actually are the most likely to make those changes. People can disagree as to what those diets are, but this statement is clearly 100% correct.

Even people like myself who basically eat all raw have plenty to learn from this person. And as I pointed out, many people here will certainly respect many issues that are being presented. One such issue is the advantage from a nutrtional AND health standpoint in eating dense vegetation and starches cooked over massive quantities of fruits..which can't possibly mirror the nutrition or work the same metabolically and are noted to provide many internal issues. If these strategies both scientifically and experimentally...If these ideas...can be used to promote superior health among ANY humans right now, particularly on this forum doing such model diets, then obviously these ideas have value.

Its not that cooked food doesn't contain toxins, its basically that it is capable of increasing the nutrition of food which in fact is widely accepted by scientists. He is saying: lets look at the models in nature that are workable, and in particular lets look at what is working now. If someone is eating 100% raw and actually exhibits excellent health they can simply pick and choose what other information he has available of value.

If aliens were to find out there was a species that drank fluoridated water and ate meats and plants with serious amounts of environmental pollution, and shared this mindset of merely avoiding toxins to create health (which I believe they would not) they might make a claim that there was no way such people could actually be healthy, without ever actually assessing whether these people could thrive, have families, and be happy for a century or more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:04:16 am by KD »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2011, 05:12:06 am »
sigh,

Like many people on this forum or other 'health' forums with legitimate experience and with 'unwanted' discoveries, Daniel is an experienced  (10+ year) raw fooder that does indeed have experience with raw meat diets, so obviously knows most the arguments for heat created toxins. Many people here also have experiences with 100% raw meat oriented diets, have read the articles on cooked food toxins of course and will concur that cultured, juiced, brewed or cooked vegetables and starches (if not some outright arguing for benefits cooked fats or even meats over a diets high in fruits ) have advantages and value over other unnatural totalities of other raw diets. This is a unknown and open discussion. People can talk about this openly but one does not 'lose' an argument based on which diet has more measurable toxins in it.

One does not have to promote at all that cooking can 'add health' to notice that by at least the conventional definition of the term health.. ..humans have indeed adapted to cooking far better than to other things that are clearly not food, even raw materials, like certain plant matter, minerals directly from rocks, and full on photosynthesis. Unless one is to give a caveat that humans have not evolved to living 100% optimally eating cooked food the evidence currently suggests that people can build tissues with cooked foods that they cannot with things that are obviously not food, even when naturally occurring.
I see that you have deliberately avoided addressing DV's praise of Wrangham's evidence in the face of most other palaeoanthropologists denouncing him as a fraud and providing evidence to debunk his claims(re mentions in articles that he is not a palaeoanthropologist, just a chimp researcher etc. etc.). There can be only two possible conclusions to be draw re DV's support for Wrangham:-

1)  DV has done so little research on cooking in general that he just blindly has taken Wrangham's word on it.

2) or DV knows damn well that Wrangham is a scientific fraud, but chooses instead to pretend that Wrangham is correct, as promoting a raw food diet would mean fewer people becoming customers of his products, as raw diets are denounced by mainstream nutritionists on spurious grounds.

Re meaningless lenght of time/experience paragraph:- This is just vague, dubious  guesswork on your part. I have in the past come across numerous long-term(decades-long) rawists who either had never read up on the scientific data on the negative effects of cooked foods as they were too new-age-oriented to be interested in facts/logic, or who stated, blindly, that since they (falsely) believed that most scientific studies were somehow "against" them  that therefore they didn't believe in any of them at all, and thus chose to never read them, as they paranoidly believed such studies were only ever made by a combination of fake  scientists/government conspiracies/industry capitalists out to sabotage the public's health. The cooked-pro-saturated fat crowd are also like that. As for the experience you claim, this is purely based on your own heavily biased notions of what is the "supreme, orthorexic ultra-perfect diet". For example, one of the commonest complaints on a RVAF diet is that peoples' health has suffered if they consumed raw veggie-juice in sizeable amounts each day.

Re cooking paragraph:- Again, you are giving irrelevant examples. Sure, cooked meat is not like granite or sand or whatever, but no one has suggested that cooked-food is not food, we have merely stated that it is not as healthy as cooked foods. And in all those lame examples you can give in which cooking removes antinutrients(applies to grains in particular) and thus boosts the levels of some of the nutrients, there are additional disadvantages created by cooking such as the loss of enzymes, the loss of bacteria and the addition of heat-created toxins via the cooking-process, and, ironically, also a loss of nutrients caused by the cooking process - plus many of those plants which can be improved by cooking, such as grains, re increases in some nutrients, still manage to cause horrible health-problems for people such as IBS/Crohn's etc. etc.. So, it is patently foolish to eat something that may provide a few more nutrients given all the many negative aspects that cooking introduces as well into the bargain. If a particular food cannot be eaten raw and be healthy(eg:- pebbles/grains/cassava or whatever) then it shouldn't be eaten at all(well, unless one is in a desert without access to raw foods or some such siutation)
Many people's health have not increased eating diets devoid of toxins, even people here eating self-described healthy ones that contain the 'right' nutrients'. Because of this - which is one of the only things I can reasonable say in regards to health is a 'fact' right now- one needs to greatly alter this definition of a health forming diet to be inclusive of any strategies that have the potential to create health.
  Obviously, it is physically impossible for any diet to cure people 100 percent all the time. Hypochondriacs can, of course, never be cured with people with non-physically-related problems needing other non-dietary help to some extent, and I suspect that people with genetic diseases could only, at best, have some of their symptoms relieved via a diet. Plus, individuals make mistakes and choose foods that are wrong for them re allergies(like my own experiences with raw coconut oil and raw dairy - indeed my own and some others' experience with raw coconut oil just illustrates the point about how even mild processing of a  still-raw product can be harmful to one's health.  But even taking all those things in account(all equally present in other dietary communities to the same extent), RVAF diets provide far greater, more widespread health benefits than other diets, overall. Now, naturally each individual has to alter their particular raw diet to make it work for them(some find their health actually increases when they up their raw plant food-intake, while others need to increase their raw animal food intake etc.), but that also applies to every other diet, anyway.
200,00o(!) years were not optimally healthy humans.
Again, the 200,000 figure  is irrelevant in the light of the fact that  other animals have failed to adapt even to another type of raw diet in millions of years(the giant panda example I gave earlier). As for people not succeeding on a diet, so what, the failure-rates on cooked diets are far greater with people on cooked VLC diets being notorious for quitting within weeks of doing such a diet etc.And the potential health-benefits are greater for rawists than for cooked-foodists, given anecdotal and scientific reports re collagen etc.
as I tried to point out quite clearly, the issue of integrity is that you are doing precisely what you are accusing those who promote cooking as acceptable: you are citing a theory of why people should be healthy rather than providing any actual evidence of health people actually exhibit, other than what people including myself usually claim which is that raw or all-raw can be used as a tool to increase health. Anyone who presents vitamins and drugs could also easily use this mode of 'scientific' reasoning if we are not actually looking at the results of such practices.
  All we really have available to us re analysing/checking health is either scientific studies(mostly favouring us as regards the issues of heat-created toxins etc.) or anecdotal reports from other RVAFers or our own individual experiences via experimentation with certain foods/diets or reports of blood-pressure tests/other medical tests from RVAFers like Lex Rooker. I presume you consider only the last category to have any validity, which is, of course, absurd. One problem with relying solely on medical tests is that the science behind these medical tests is still pretty dodgy(an example being the cholesterol-issue which is still being heavily debated). Also, focusing too much on artificial methods, such as counting calories or measuring one's body-fat, leads to excess obsession.  Plus, I, like many RVAFers, have had too much previous contact with self-proclaimed "health-experts"(ie "doctors") who were so incompetent despite their medical degrees, that they failed to diagnose or properly treat many RVAFers' conditions.
You make wide reaching comments all over this thread as per usual like your recent cold defies what all the /raw food/instincto/Primal/theories of illness as detox, which again no one can label as 'wrong' but obviously is neither a open, genuine, or scientific form of reasoning, never-mind one that most 100% raw camps and individuals here would agree.
  It is perfectly OK to express an opinion based on one's personal experience, especially when the issue has not been fully resolved either way - the whole point of this forum is that people read about others' experiences/opinions and compare them to their own experiences/opinions in order to find what works for them. In my own case, I freely accept that others have differing views on this issue. I even accept that it is possible(though unlikely) that my occasional intake of cooked foods here and there might set off a detox.

As for my other comments on Wrangham/heat-created toxins, these are not opinions but facts based on scientists' data/studies etc.
You refer to ZC diets as viable strategies when it is convenient for an argument (at least for people that 'don't handle carbs well') whatever that means ..and just above say all ketogenic diets are harmful even though all zero carbs diets, and many of the diets practiced on this page are ketogenic or at least in ketonuria. So obviously based on your arguments with many people eating such diets, you don't particularly respect those as optimal strategies -particularly when they embrace cooking. I cited an argument that suggested very few of the people that are 'omnivores' including VLC dieters eat a high percentage of their foods as fruit sugars, and you gave a bunch of really outright incorrect information as to why people did that or what percentages they were based on the number of people identified as ZC'ers.
  First of all, my data was correct, unlike yours and you are , as usual, missing the point. I strove to point out , via a poll you clearly never had bothered to previously read, that there were far more raw omnivores than RZCers.  This clearly demonstrated that there were far fewer of those here who couldn't handle raw plant foods at all. Now, if your thesis that raw plant foods need to be cooked for health-reasons was correct(you suggest that raw fruits are super-bad and that one should eat cooked starches instead and such nonsense), then it is logical to assume that the RZC component of rawpaleoforum should instead be much larger than the raw omnivore component, with the RVLC component being somewhere inbetween. Yet, when one looks at RVAF diets as a whole(not just this meat-heavy forum), one actually finds far more people eating raw plant foods and only a few raw animal foods than the other way round. As for the absurd claim that I don't respect RZCers' choices, that's not true, of course - I have always happily accepted that some people thrive better on only raw animal foods. My own RZC experiment never worked, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone has a different health-background/bodily-processes. As for the ketogenic diet references, I should have made it clearer that I was specifically referring only to the cooked ketogenic diet which is a very artificial diet involving artificial sweeteners etc. has been used to treat epileptics and has resulted in numerous nasty side-effects such as kidney-stones etc.
FYI Fred Bisci is a 40+ year 100% raw foodist that does not recommend a ketogenic diet like you say above, so I will continue to believe that you have actually never invested in studying any of those individuals writings or studies on high fruit diets in regard to the blood and tissue qualities. He is someone who observed that people eating 100% raw 'pure of toxin'  fruit oriented diets can become so blood toxic that they become incapable of building health, that are then reversed without adding any animal foods but going off such diets completely, and not just adding more varieties of foods. Ditto all the other people mentioned including Aajonus, who obviously uses additional nutritional tools.

Oh, I merely googled him after hearing you mention him, I loathe gurus, and my own experimentation with raw veganism mainly concerned the actual scientific data/studies behind raw veganism:fruitarianism and what benefits I might get from them etc. rather than the gurus' many silly claims. You do appear to  have a very unhealthy obsession with diet gurus re the need to worship your particular guru of the moment etc. It's a strategy designed for failure as no one person can ever be 100 percent correct.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:08 am »
Ty, Swap out the word guru for elder and all of a sudden you're saying you loathe elders, which is of course foolish since most everything you've learned you learned from someone else.

These guru's/elders are there to spread the message and wake people up, not to be followed blindly. No one can be 100% about what optimal health because every single person on the planet is genetically programmed or sensitive to certain foods and not to others. This means that the only one who can determine your ideal foods is you, the gur-elder is there to provide a frame of reference for you to think and to facilitate your progression towards and autonomous thinking machine.

Most of us have been raised learning what to think instead of how to think. After a few decades of that it can really take a lot to get the gears of free and independent thought turning. It's ok to admire these gur-elders but not to idolize or worship at their alters.

I love Aajonus, owe him my health and to some extent my ability to think for myself, and am ever grateful for that, but when he says things like " you should drink raw dairy" I think he should be saying, "dairy might work for you, try a small amount and see what it does to you or for you, stop if it seems to cause harm"

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2011, 07:22:53 am »
How is anyone now to trust this overture now to cooked diets just being 'sub-par' in comparison to a 'raw paleo diet' - with today's materials and problems on in today's environment - if you are saying that people who lived in pure environments like the Inuit and the plains Indians were outright-not healthy. By this statement, it actually would be fairly unlikely to build health with some poor imitation of such a diet.
  What utter balderdash. I presume, from the last paragraph, that you erroneously believe that solely because the current environment may be  slightly polluted that we cannot lived as healthily as the HGs did 200 years ago on their partially-cooked diets. First of all, I have previously shown in the last few months  studies that indicated that toxins derived from air-pollution were taken into the human body in smaller amounts/levels on a daily basis than the toxins which were derived from cooking - (incidentally, 2 of the heat-created toxins derived from cooking, heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, are also primary components of air-pollution. This means that eating all-raw would be way more effective for  one's health re reducing toxin-intake than living in a pristine, unpolluted environment.  The remark re fluoridation is irrelevant to RVAFers(but not, incidentally, to most cooked-palaeodieters) as RVAFers usually avoid drinking altered tapwater in favour of drinking mineral-water or using filters to remove such chemical traces from their tapwater.

Re cooked-diets of hundreds or thousands of years ago:- If one looks at the data, one actually finds that length of time does not justify the value of a diet. For example, when people switched to a cooked, Neolithic diet c.10,000 years ago once the palaeolithic era ended, human health sank considerably, with a major decrease in average height etc.. These peoples went in big for cooking, and especially in terms of processing plant foods in a big way, but this led directly to their subsequent ill-health:-

http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/angel-1984/angel-1984-1a.shtml

Re 3rd para:-  No one is disputing that there are non-dietary approaches to health. We have all heard of the power of positive thinking and it is obvious that the reduced stresses of modern life and extensive medical technology have helped people live far longer than previously possible. But this has nothing to do with diet. As for emulating HGs/palaeos, I doubt we will ever be able to perfeclty emulate them in terms of the vast amounts of physical exercise they did every day(exercise is at least part of the health-equation) and I doubt we could ever emulate the sheer richness and variety of the real palaeodiets of yore. On the other hand, many of us are doing better than palaeo HGs in the last 10 percent of the Palaeolithic era, as we are not eating the same daily amounts of cooked foods as they were, and we have access to better foods in some cases(eg:- we get more nutritious raw plant foods than palaeo-era raw tubers, for example).

As for the other paragraphs, your notion that cooked starches/vegetables are better than raw fruits is merely an opinion of yours. Many RVAFers are fine with raw fruits and quite a number of RVAFers  do badly on cooked vegetables - I am in that category, more or less:- that is, I have no real problems with raw fruits, except possibly after years of being 100 percent fruitarian, and I don't thrive at all on cooked vegetables - they don't do me any relatively fast harm as generally happens with cooked animal foods, but they cause minor issues.  Eating them never makes me feel as satisfied nutritionally as eating raw plant foods.

As for cooking increasing the nutrition of foods, I already pointed out in the previous post that cooking also creates further disadvantages re loss of enzymes/bacteria and the addition of heat-created toxins, plus while cooking certain key antinutrient-heavy  foods such as grains may generate more nutrients at first, as the cooking temperature goes up, that benefit is quickly lost as cooking, as a whole, is a process that leads to a loss of nutrients due to heat.

" Ron Paul.

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2011, 02:07:31 pm »
Can anyone point out when or where DV talks about cooking meat?

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2011, 03:38:20 pm »
Can anyone point out when or where DV talks about cooking meat?
That's what I'm saying...
It never happened.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2011, 05:32:32 pm »
That's what I'm saying...
It never happened.
Wrong. DV has mentioned, here and there, that cooking is great and that "all HGs cooked their foods" thus implying that it is somehow necessary to eat cooked foods -
"A brief survey of those humans we call the “Indigenous” of the world, especially those who were Hunter/Gatherers reveals a diet that, while varying in the ratio of animal to plant food, still always contains both in ample degrees.  These people are always cooks, in that they are never found on “Raw Food Diets”.  They eat a mix of raw and cooked foods, as well as balancing animal foods against plant foods.  I know of no culture that is based solely on plant food, nor one built exclusively on animal foods."
  taken from:-

http://www.danielvitalis.com/tag/meat-eater/

And here he mocks the notion that cooked food is harmful:-

http://www.danielvitalis.com/2010/03/hunter-safety-why-i-am-not-a-vegan/#

Notice how the 1st excerpt is also exactly what Wrangham has stated, suggesting that DV is just blindly parroting Wrangham's notions without thinking. DV only includes raw animal foods solely because HGs ate them as well. In other words, he is just a deluded believer in the Noble-Savage-theory, like Weston-Price was, and just assumes, without thinking, that HGs must have been 100 percent healthy merely because they did not have the same rate of unusual, modern diseases to the same extent as more settled, modern societies have.

Bit of a fool, DV. He claims no culture has ever been on an all-animal food diet. What about the Inuit, they came pretty close to 100 percent with perhaps just a few occasional berries/seaweed in the summer if that, especially the most northerly ones.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2011, 07:57:06 pm »
Danielvitalis   10 months ago in reply to mathewmilligan

"Hey Mathew!

I love raw meat when the quality is right! I am not afraid to cook it too. Smoking sounds amazing, but I have never tried it.

Bone I will use as broth... (and for some tools), and sinew for cordage and for hafting a primitive Obsidian knife I am making!

My friends at www.primitiveskills,com are showing me how to use everything!

I bet your smoke house is outstanding!

~D"

http://www.danielvitalis.com/2010/03/hunter-safety-why-i-am-not-a-vegan/

pwned ;D
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2011, 03:37:48 am »
ahh.. So I guess he is not as neurotic as most of us are! LoL!  ;)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2011, 04:18:18 am »
ahh.. So I guess he is not as neurotic as most of us are! LoL!  ;)
No,  he is just a  deluded moron who is terrified of having an original, creative thought not sanctioned by the masses of sheeple out there, as well as being a deluded believer in the laughable Noble-Savage theory given PP's post above.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sitting Coyote

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2011, 06:21:01 am »
No,  he is just a  deluded moron who is terrified of having an original, creative thought not sanctioned by the masses of sheeple out there, as well as being a deluded believer in the laughable Noble-Savage theory given PP's post above.

Not that you're jealous or anything... >D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2011, 06:42:53 am »

Not that you're jealous or anything... >D
  Now you're being REALLY stupid. I have no jealousy issues with DV. After all, for me, there would be nothing more humiliating than to be a diet-guru like him. Some various foolish members here have previously suggested that I was a diet guru  - but, to be a genuine diet-guru, I would have to a) be like the corrupt DV and others and promote the selling of expensive raw supplements like deer antler extracts for my own personal financial  benefit and b) I would have to make lots of lying statements about mythical missing laboratory results or I would have to pretend that cooking was beneficial so as to generate a bigger audience for my particular dietary inclinations etc. DV is one of the worst gurus out there, as he has no interest in proving his allegations, he's just in it for the money. Worthless scumbag!   -v -v -v -v -v l) l) :o :o ;) ;) >D >D
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2011, 08:04:31 am »
Live and learn from fools and from sages.

I am happy for the guy, I think its wonderful that he has manged to break free of the vegan cult and discover the wonders of raw meat. Even if he is still lost in other respects, such as advocating a partly cooked diet.

Dream on noble savages.

I have personal become more conflicted myself recently about being an advocate of noble savage nostalgia. There is also this new feeling of exuberance that makes me wild with a desire to rave maniacal about the benefits of my raw carnivorous experience to anyone who will listen. I can feel the barbarian within myself emerging. I am sometimes fearful of unleashing  such power into the hands of those with less noble intentions or being ridiculed by those who would mock my enthusiasm. Maybe I should covet the secret of the diet and only advocate to people who have good nature to begin with.  I often wonder  about how this diet does bring out a shamanistic nature within some people, and I assume others like DV and Av and the instinctos have felt this as well.

This awakened nature is something between two worlds, (the new concept of a pseudo noble- semi civilized savage is beginning to form), its combines the empirical mind of modern man with a reincarnation of the intuition and physical prowis of Paleo man, Its a really an unknown and under investigated phenomenon(perhaps its the rediscovery of the Great spirit of the Hunter Gatherers), this new age paleo prototype, like many people on this forum, would be hard for the uninitiated to understand. AV may not have all the facts nor does DV but there is a spirit of rejuvenation and a love of life that seems to shine through. This emerging culture is promising but has not yet evolved into a place where we can all commune on a similar wavelength. But so far I like where some of the more colorful ones have been exploring. And I am always learning from all extremities of experience. I would like to find some more more rock steady and moderate way of paleo living.

The more Guru-Guinea pigs we have to use as whipping boys for arguments for positive affirmations and negative reinforcements, the better.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:16:48 am by sabertooth »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36:25 am »
...DV is one of the worst gurus out there, as he has no interest in proving his allegations, he's just in it for the money. Worthless scumbag!   -v -v -v -v -v l) l) :o :o ;) ;) >D >D
Don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think. ;D

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2011, 09:04:09 am »
  Now you're being REALLY stupid. I have no jealousy issues with DV. After all, for me, there would be nothing more humiliating than to be a diet-guru like him. Some various foolish members here have previously suggested that I was a diet guru  - but, to be a genuine diet-guru, I would have to a) be like the corrupt DV and others and promote the selling of expensive raw supplements like deer antler extracts for my own personal financial  benefit and b) I would have to make lots of lying statements about mythical missing laboratory results or I would have to pretend that cooking was beneficial so as to generate a bigger audience for my particular dietary inclinations etc. DV is one of the worst gurus out there, as he has no interest in proving his allegations, he's just in it for the money. Worthless scumbag!   -v -v -v -v -v l) l) :o :o ;) ;) >D >D

He has to make a living and that is his way.

Let's just be glad we do other things for a living.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2011, 09:41:44 am »
Live and learn from fools and from sages.

The more Guru-Guinea pigs we have to use as whipping boys for arguments for positive affirmations and negative reinforcements, the better.

+9001 internets for Aerosmith reference.  ;D

Anyways, I really doubt gurus would admit that they were wrong, when their health starts to fail. Human beings tend to really dislike "losing face."
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:38 pm »
There is no way for anyone to "prove" anything to you or me or anyone else.
Studies don't mean a damn thing. People are only capable of sharing interpretations.
Take it for what it's worth, there is nothing to accomplish in arguing about someone else's interpretation/claims. I eat raw meat because I love it, not because I am convinced by someone else's research. I have no obligation to provide my reasoning or "proof" to anyone.
Why does it bother you TD? Because people are trusting him and following him word for word. Sheep will be sheep. At least those people are not guzzling fluoride for all of it's "health benefits"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk