Author Topic: Is there anything wrong with wine?  (Read 24802 times)

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Is there anything wrong with wine?
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:32:58 am »
I heard its good for digestion, gastric juices.
I always stayed away from alcohol because I didn't want anything bad come into my life because always wanted to succeed in sports.
But right now I decided to try it after some salad with salmon and cooked fatty lamb, I am drinking wine for first time in my life hehe.
I feel a little bit warm but the taste is not that appealing  alcohol never was to me  :)

Can it contribute to some health problems in short/long term? Maybe benefits xD ?

Offline Caveman

• Bear Hunter
  • Man of the cave
    • View Profile
Re: Is there anything wrong with wine?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:37:06 am »
I usually never drank any kind of alcohol, but a few months ago when I really had to work on my insomnia, I tried one or two small glasses of wine and immediately relaxed and slept wonderfully. I don't really do it anymore, but once in a while, it really helps me relax and I never exceed two small glasses.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:56:08 am »
It's not healthy. My own rule is that clear, transparent alcohol(white wine/gin/vodka etc.) is best for me as these contain far fewer congeners in them which aggravate all those hangovers.   Real ale is the only genuinely raw alcohol as it contains live bacteria etc. , but it is grain-based so not palaeo - it's still better than other drinks, though.

My view is that as long as I only occasionally cheat on my raw foods( re eating occasional cake slices for example but always eating one large raw meat meal a day etc.) and drinking some alcohol occasionally of the kind described above, then I'm more or less OK.  As I go past 40/50, though, I reckon I will need to be 100 percent rawpalaeo as even the slightest rise in AGEs might then well mean a slight increase in arthritis-related symptoms and other age-related conditions.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:57:26 am »
(...) after some salad with salmon and cooked fatty lamb (...)

A bit of good wine is certainly not as noxious as farmed salmon and cooked lamb.  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:09:19 am »
It's not healthy. My own rule is that clear, transparent alcohol(white wine/gin/vodka etc.) is best for me as these contain far fewer congeners in them which aggravate all those hangovers.   Real ale is the only genuinely raw alcohol as it contains live bacteria etc. , but it is grain-based so not palaeo - it's still better than other drinks, though.

Beer has been heated and made from grain while wine is made from grapes and has usually not been heated. Beer and wine are fermented and contain only ethanol as an alcohol, but distiled drinks such as gin and vodka contain some methanol which is highly poisonous.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:11:36 am »
I've actually been wondering whether I should start drinking a few organic glasses of wine a week.

I'm certainly going to look into it.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:16:46 am »
A bit of good wine is certainly not as noxious as farmed salmon and cooked lamb.  ;)

Hehe no the salmon is not farmed its from ocean and the lamb I got it from some arabs far from the city here
I'm doing my best to get the top quality foods I can find here  :D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 06:20:39 am »
Beer has been heated and made from grain while wine is made from grapes and has usually not been heated. Beer and wine are fermented and contain only ethanol as an alcohol, but distiled drinks such as gin and vodka contain some methanol which is highly poisonous.
  My god, have you never heard of "real ale" which is completely raw, live beer full of live bacteria?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:22:05 am »
Can wine make you deficient in some mineral if you drink it a lot, magnesium for instance?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:25:28 am »
Hehe no the salmon is not farmed its from ocean and the lamb I got it from some arabs far from the city here
I'm doing my best to get the top quality foods I can find here  :D

But you ate it cooked...  ??? It's certainly not worth to bother finding the best food around and then destroy it by cooking...

Tyler, no I never heard of that stuff, raw ale. I don't even know if we have it on the continent and how it's called in French...

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:28:49 am »
Can wine make you deficient in some mineral if you drink it a lot, magnesium for instance?

It'll make you drunk and then an alcoholic long before it causes any deficiency in mg or anything !  ;D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:29:28 am »
Look for any bottles of beer which have a metal top and the top of the bottle surrounded by thin wires which go round the bottle a few centimetres down from the top, descending from that top. Such arrangements are used to block the gas which inevitably comes out of the bottle  once you open the top.  Real ale is  great stuff and far healthier for you than pasteurised beer.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:32:14 am »
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 06:40:15 am »
Look for any bottles of beer which have a metal top and the top of the bottle surrounded by thin wires which go round the bottle a few centimetres down from the top, descending from that top. Such arrangements are used to block the gas which inevitably comes out of the bottle  once you open the top.  Real ale is  great stuff and far healthier for you than pasteurised beer.

Thanks for the links, I might have a try someday if I find some !

I've actually been wondering whether I should start drinking a few organic glasses of wine a week.
I'm certainly going to look into it.

You can do what you want, but I don't think you'll get any benefit form that - except if you are depressed, but even then what you get on the moment will have to be paid back as soon as the effect is over. With raw food, wine doesn't taste good.  

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 08:37:36 am »
I figure it may not be natural to drink a lot of alcohol but fruits naturally ferment and I'm sure our ancestors would eat them regardless.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 11:36:01 am »
The problem with beer is that it is made with hops.
Hops are estrogenic sedatives.
Maybe a ginger mead fermented with honey.... That sounds good.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 11:38:57 am »
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/herbal-remedies/hops-herbal-remedies.htm
If you would not drink it as a tea, I don't see much point fermenting it,
therefore making it more available to the body.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »
My god, have you never heard of "real ale" which is completely raw, live beer full of live bacteria?
Every beer is heated.
I mean you've got to boil the wort with hops for about 1 hour; then you add the yeast and the fermentation begins.
8-6 years ago I was a homebrewer. I've made quite a lot of beer using only malt (from Bamberg in Germany), hops, the best yeast (american Wyeast) and water. :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »
Every beer is heated.
I mean you've got to boil the wort with hops for about 1 hour; then you add the yeast and the fermentation begins.
8-6 years ago I was a homebrewer. I've made quite a lot of beer using only malt (from Bamberg in Germany), hops, the best yeast (american Wyeast) and water. :)
I was pretty certain that real ale is not heated in any way. Well, I will double-check this with a few beer experts on another site, just in case.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »
I was pretty certain that real ale is not heated in any way. Well, I will double-check this with a few beer experts on another site, just in case.
Real ale - "beer brewed from traditional ingredients, matured by secondary fermentation in the container from which it is dispensed, and served without the use of extraneous carbon dioxide"
It's unfiltered and unpasteurised.
It's a natural good-quality beer such as mine was. But home-brewed bear has got a sediment of yeast at the bottom of each bottle so the beer can mature FOR MANY YEARS. So it's superior. :)
But EVERY beer is made from a boiled wort with hops. There isn't any other option.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:32:26 pm by TylerDurden »
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »
I figure it may not be natural to drink a lot of alcohol but fruits naturally ferment and I'm sure our ancestors would eat them regardless.

Me too! Partially fermented fruits such as rambutans, litchis and pineapple are sometimes delicious, incomparability better than any wine. But there's only a little bit of alcohol in it and we would have to eat a ton of them to get drunk.  

This is a range of real ales sold in France:-
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_marques_de_bi%C3%A8res_brass%C3%A9es_en_France#Allier

This link leads to beers brewed in the French department of Allier...

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »
I wasn't able to work out what the french term for "real ale" was so that was the best I could find for now.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 03:56:48 pm »
Me too! Partially fermented fruits such as rambutans, litchis and pineapple are sometimes delicious, incomparability better than any wine. But there's only a little bit of alcohol in it and we would have to eat a ton of them to get drunk. 
  But what about all those urban legends of monkeys and elephants getting deliberately drunk on fermented fruit? I suppose it is highly likely that fermented fruit could not work on elephants given their size, but monkeys/apes?

Ah, here's some info re this:-

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_10_113/ai_n8640726/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=animals-like-to-get-drunk
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »
I just saw the latest episode of GLEE and it seems people really like getting drunk.

Why do people like getting drunk?

Is it some primitive urge to get drunk?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk