Author Topic: Magnetic's Journal  (Read 38208 times)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
Magnetic's Journal
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:40:53 am »
I thought I should add this so I can put down my various thoughts, experiences and so on, now that I have been eating a RPD for over a month so it seems like it is working quite well for me.

The first month I ate raw lamb, mostly muscle meats but also some organs from a grass fed lamb that I bought.  I also included raw eggs from pastured free range chickens, and a little grass fed beef from the local farmers' market.  My fruit intake was typically a meal of fruit in the morning until I was satisfied, then meat the rest of the day.  Some days I also had fruit for lunch and a large dinner of raw meat.  I wasn't hungry at all but I made myself eat because the calorie intake was so low and I was losing weight.  I cut out olive oil, coconut oil, vegetables and dairy after the first few weeks.  A week ago I treated myself to seafood and fish: tuna, cod and scallops.  I also had some honey a few weeks ago, but I didn't like the sugar rush it gave me.  In the last week I found myself eating only one or two pieces of fruit a day and significantly more meat.  But today I suddenly felt sick of meat this evening and so I ate a large meal of all fruit.  I also stopped taking vitamins and omega-3 supplements as I think they are no longer necessary.  I also eliminated tea from my diet.

I began exercising.  I stretch when I first wake up in the morning and I do some weight training when I feel the desire.  I also stopped using furniture (I now crouch or sit on the floor and it is becoming more and more comfortable) and sleep on a thin mat on the floor without a pillow.

Improvements to my health include improved attention, more sexual control and satisfaction, elevated mood, more energy (most of the time), more restful sleep, decreased craving for alcohol, improved digestion, improved elimination, and loss of fat and improved muscle tone.  I had a twitch on my face that went away, I can now stand up quickly without feeling dizzy, my skin is tougher (I get less cuts when shaving), my gums have become pinker and hardly bleed when brushing my teeth (it used to look like I was punched in the mouth), I had soreness on my anal area that went away, and fatigue with leg soreness and cramps that has disappeared. 

Every morning I wake up completely alert and excited about facing the day, knowing I can accomplish anything.  I see my diet as a beginning rather than an end, I see a spiritual path before me that has been opened up by eating a raw paleo diet.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetic's Journal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:49:03 pm »
I can now stand up quickly without feeling dizzy...

Oh man, I can totally relate. This has happened to me in the past so many times, not at all recently  :)
Before you were a vegan right?
You might want to share what you were eating in the past. For contrast.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »
Oh man, I can totally relate. This has happened to me in the past so many times, not at all recently  :)
Before you were a vegan right?
You might want to share what you were eating in the past. For contrast.

I was eating a SAD before.  Here is my background:

Birth to 15 - SAD, but on the healthy side (home cooked meals, a variety of meat, fish, vegetables, whole grains, full fat milk, very little sweets)
15 to 22 - vegan, lots of veggies, tofu, fake meat products, beans, rice, and so on
22 to 31 - SAD, more or less what I grew up eating, but I developed a carb addiction, lots of pasta, rice, beer

Then I ate paleo for a few weeks and now raw paleo.  On cooked paleo meat was making my gut throb so I tried raw and it was much better.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:50:38 am »
Hello Magnetic,

That is an interesting story.  I am happy this WOE is going well for you.  It is going good for me as well.  Was there any specific event or condition that brought you to RAW PALEO?
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:40:27 am »
Hello Magnetic,

That is an interesting story.  I am happy this WOE is going well for you.  It is going good for me as well.  Was there any specific event or condition that brought you to RAW PALEO?

I was just feeling shitty, overloading on carbs, drinking a lot of beer, feeling depressed and in general poor health.  Changing to raw paleo improved many aspects of my life.  I had made some small changes before changing my diet.  I quit smoking a few years ago, began drinking more water and walking to work.  I cut out all sugar and high fructose corn syrup 6 months before switching to cooked paleo.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »
I have been feasting on organs from my grassfed cow that is currently aging.  I ate the less appealing organs first, though by the end of eating lung and spleen I had developed a bit of a taste for them.  I also ate thyroids and blood, and eyes.  This morning I ate the last of the face meat.  Today I am having heart.  Once that is eaten I only have a whole liver and tongue, but I should be getting my muscle meat soon.  I specified that the meat not be frozen, so it should taste fresh and delicious, which should help with my appetite, which has been very low. 

It hasn't helped that I have been trying to extend my meat by eating more fruit, which I think has contributed to my low energy.  I may try eating more low sugar fruit and less high sugar fruit in the future.  The problem is bananas, of which I can't seem to get enough.

The problem may also have been psychological.  I now have no aversion whatsoever to muscle meats and certain organs like liver and heart, and I love bone marrow.  I think the less appealing lungs and spleen may have killed my appetite and been the cause of low energy.

I felt so weak yesterday evening I ate a whole tub of cottage cheese.  I enjoyed it and it was delicious, and I handle dairy fine, I just wish it were raw and free of additives.  It definitely satisfied my cravings more than meat could at the time.  It bothered me that it had all those strange added substances.  It was the first dairy I have eaten in over a month, since starting eating RPD.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:08:38 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 02:38:19 am »
Cool about the cow. Might wanna watch out for the opioids angle in craving dairy.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 06:37:51 am »
Cool about the cow. Might wanna watch out for the opioids angle in craving dairy.

What do you mean?

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 02:52:08 pm »
Well dairy is high in opioids...addictive substances which is one reason why people crave it. So I'm just saying if it satisfies cravings, you want it more than meat, this might not all be a righteous craving.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 03:48:41 pm »
Thanks, I will consider that.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »
In the past few days I have added soaked/acidified non-gluten grains to my diet for energy.  The most prominent group (in the U.S.) that mentions such methods is the Weston A. Price Foundation.  Also, I have acquired a cow share and will be getting raw milk soon.  So it looks as though my diet is moving from LC/VLC RAF (eggs, chicken, lamb, beef, fish and seafood) to more of a WAP diet.  I am trying this to see how my energy levels and appetite change.

I have had brown rice and oats, and both digested well.  I also had some soaked black beans. Cooking was confusing at first, and introducing a new food type also made me think about how I should incorporate the food into what I eat during the day, which naturally led me to the principles of food combining.  On eating a RAF diet I mono-ate, eating fruit in the morning and animal foods later in the day.  Food combining is an extension of the mono-eating principle/theory. 

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 08:18:20 am »
A month ago, I was losing too much weight and feeling weak so I added in non-glutenous whole grains to my diet. That was a mistake. Carb cravings took over and soon I was eating pasta, sugar, beer, just about everything. Over the past month I have felt terrible but unable to make changes. The only food I was eating that was supplying adequate nutrition was raw milk and raw milk kefir.

I realized that I am lazy and don't like having to prepare my food. The next order of meat I put in it will be all ground beef. I now have a meat grinder so I can grind organs. I think there is a benefit to chewing and tearing meat off the bone, the action strengthens the jaw. But in my case I need it to be easy to eat, for now.

Also, I am leaning towards a zero-carb diet. I have noticed that I feel better the less carbs I eat. Today I bought 5 pounds of wild seafood as a treat to go with the last of my beef, before I place my next order. I fasted over the last 24 hours. I ate some scallops, high meat and ground beef and I feel much better now.

I hope to be able to maintain my weight and become more toned, and feel more alert mentally.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:33:10 am »
Were the grains cooked or raw?

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47:45 pm »
Were the grains cooked or raw?

They were cooked. I would soak them first in an acidic solution for 24 hours (48 hours for legumes) to remove antinutrients and boost the nutrient content.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 06:12:39 am »
Interesting, wild rice has been working great for me every other day. I do it a bit different though.
Soak about a half cup for 72 hours in spring water in glass.
Cook then let cool to about 100deg
Then cover in 3 tablespoons of butter, add herbs & spices(almost always mustard or chile).
Eat with home fermented sour kraut.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:55 am »
I think the problem is that you can cook and I cannot.  ;D

I actually just ate some cooked grass-fed beef. I have been eating RZC for the past week and today I was disgusted by the ground beef I was eating earlier in the day. I think it may have tasted off because it has been frozen for over 6 months. The Amish at the local farmer's market have a real hard time selling any of their grass-fed beef so it is all really old.

I need to experiment more to find the right balance of foods for me, eating RZC I again had no energy, while at the same time inflammation was way down. I need to eat so that I am getting the right proportion of Omega-3/Omega-6 FA to keep inflammation down, while maintaining appetite so I don't lose 20 pounds and look like a skeleton.

Raw weston price diet didn't work because raw meat doesn't go with cooked rice, veggies and so on.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20:36 pm »
Raw weston price diet didn't work because raw meat doesn't go with cooked rice, veggies and so on.
Very true for me as well, I eat them at least an hour apart.
Fermented foods in between always. Be it kraut or mead, lots of yeasts and bacteria work wonders for me.

....I think it may have tasted off because it has been frozen for over 6 months....
Yes, frozen is simply not the same. Still good stuff though. Yet again, fermented foods should help.
You tried high meat, right?

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »
Very true for me as well, I eat them at least an hour apart.
Fermented foods in between always. Be it kraut or mead, lots of yeasts and bacteria work wonders for me.
Yes, frozen is simply not the same. Still good stuff though. Yet again, fermented foods should help.
You tried high meat, right?

I made 10 pounds of high meat from never frozen grass-fed ground beef. I aired it every day for over a month, and it definately became very high and stinky. I liked the smell and was eating it but my girlfriend and roommate is convinced it gave her stomach flu, which makes no sense. I ate about half of it, it was giving me very vivid dreams and I was waking up with original music in my head. Since it is her apartment (I pay half the rent and expenses but I am subletting from her) I agreed to get rid of it. She fled from the smell to a friend's apartment for a few days. I fed about 4 pounds to some ducks we are raising next to our apartment. At least it did not go to waste and I can eat the ducks in a few months.

I have been drinking raw milk kefir, except when I was RZC for a week. Now I am drinking it again and drink 4 cups each day, 2 in the AM and 2 cups PM. I have never had any problems with dairy, and I am not at all pro-dairy I just think I have the genetics to digest it properly. Anyways, I am considering trying cooked WAP diet or one of those anti-inflammatory diets, but still eating raw animal foods regularly, like sushi, steak tartare and such prepared raw dishes, or ones of my own creation.

If I can limit the Omega-6 fats I think I will be okay.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 02:53:53 pm »
... it was giving me very vivid dreams and I was waking up with original music in my head....
That's nuts, I have some that has developed a cheese like cream from the juices. It's intimidating to look at. :o
I could use a trip though.  ;D

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 02:53:57 pm »
btw, I cut out the starch. It was good for a while, but last night I made the decision to give all raw another chance.
The weight gain made me optimistic, while other factors were ignored until recently.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 07:46:42 pm »
A month ago, I was losing too much weight and feeling weak so I added in non-glutenous whole grains to my diet. That was a mistake. Carb cravings took over and soon I was eating pasta, sugar, beer, just about everything. Over the past month I have felt terrible but unable to make changes. The only food I was eating that was supplying adequate nutrition was raw milk and raw milk kefir.
I know what you mean. I tried eating a bit of cooked starch (french bread) a while ago and immidiatly got massive carb cravings. Fortunately I could control myself somewhat and only ate crap for one day. The next day I overate (on purpose) on fruits to get rid of the carb cravings. After that I ate meat again and all was fine. Those refined carbs are so very addictive.

For me VLC/ZC doesn't work either. I eat ~50-80grms of carb a day from fruits/raw kefir. That way I feel fine. Stil is very low carb compared to your average SAD diet. I noticed, like many, that I don't crave carb if i eat a lot of fat. Luckily I also digest dairy well so I can eat lots of raw butter(delicious).

Maybe eating more fruits/fat works for you too to keep carb cravings down. AV's nut formula is pretty sweet too!
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 08:54:24 am »
I had a bad spell eating SAD food, not terrible though as I continued eating cooked grass-fed beef, wild fish, raw grass-fed dairy, and so on. I was not doing well on the raw paleo diet I was eating, I had no appetite and was losing weight rapidly. I have put a good 20 lbs back on. I was reading posts, or maybe it was a journal by "The Bear." He said that he is never hungry eating RZC. This was my problem, and the reason behind my weight loss. I thought I should only eat when hungry. But if I am never hungry when eating RZC then it makes no sense to wait for hunger to eat. I am going to try RZC again, and make sure I eat enough to maintain my weight. I have more variety of meats now as well. I never felt better than when I was eating little or no carbs, so if I can maintain my weight I think all will go well. I have been transitioning from SAD to raw paleo, by eating cooked paleo the last week. Tommorrow or Monday I am starting raw paleo, RZC.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 09:11:01 am »
I know what you mean. I tried eating a bit of cooked starch (french bread) a while ago and immidiatly got massive carb cravings. Fortunately I could control myself somewhat and only ate crap for one day. The next day I overate (on purpose) on fruits to get rid of the carb cravings. After that I ate meat again and all was fine. Those refined carbs are so very addictive.

For me VLC/ZC doesn't work either. I eat ~50-80grms of carb a day from fruits/raw kefir. That way I feel fine. Stil is very low carb compared to your average SAD diet. I noticed, like many, that I don't crave carb if i eat a lot of fat. Luckily I also digest dairy well so I can eat lots of raw butter(delicious).

Maybe eating more fruits/fat works for you too to keep carb cravings down. AV's nut formula is pretty sweet too!

I have tried LC/VLC but any amount of carbs throws off my desire for meat (I have none). VLC leads to LC leads to moderate carbs, then high/nothing but carbs. I may eat some "carb foods" in the future, but for now I need to try ZC for an extended time.

I drank raw milk kefir for the past few months, 2 cups every day, that I made at home. I think it does have addictive qualities (re: opioids), and leads to the same chain of actions listed above (I would be happy drinking nothing but raw kefir every day if I were to follow my "instincts"). So I am eliminating dairy as well.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
First Day RZC
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 09:39:26 am »
Today was my first day eating RZC. The day before I had 2 cups of grass-fed raw milk kefir and 1/3 coconut + coconut milk for breakfast. Later in the day I had some buffalo marrow bone stock (with lots of fat in it) with cooked vegetables (carrots, onions, garlic and radishes) and spinach cooked in pastured pork lard. Now I have nothing but raw meats and fish to eat.

I didn't break my fast until a few hours after I got home from work, at about 8pm. I was not hungry during the day, which is likely due to the low amount of carbohydrates and high amount of fat that I have been eating in the past week, transitioning to RZC. I had plenty of energy during the day, except in the afternoon when I was a little tired and could have taken a nap. I always nap on my day off. I think that if I could, I would nap every day in the afternoon. But work gets in the way so I have no way of knowing what a more natural sleep schedule would look like for me.

I must have drank 2 liters of water today, it was very hot (about 85 to 90 Fahrenheit) and my work does not have air-conditioning.

For my meal tonight I ate a good amount of heart (maybe 1/5 lb.) along with about a pound of Slanker's High Fat Ground Beef (78%/22%). I enjoyed it and hope it will sustain me until tomorrow night. I have not noticed any physical changes other than a general feeling of well-being, which I attribute to eating LC in general over the past week. But as I am now eating ZC I expect to experience physical/mental/emotional changes.

I finished my meal over 1 hour ago and it is digesting with ease, no discomfort whatsoever. If I had eaten the equivalent amount of cooked meat my stomach would likely be throbbing right now.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 07:05:26 am »
I had a little less energy today. I have been walking to and from work, it is about 3.5 miles round trip. I was a little exhausted and very hungry when I got home. Again, I did not eat all day, and I was not hungry until late afternoon. I ate the same as yesterday, but also 3 raw free-range chicken eggs. I ate until I was very full. My energy was a little low during the day, at least lower than yesterday. I expect my body is in ketosis, it has been 48 hours since I have eaten any food with significant carbohydrates in them. I don't know how long that takes. I am going to read more about what others refer to as becoming "keto-adapted," as this naturally intrigues me. My mood has been steady, so the depression has remained at-bay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk