Author Topic: Magnetic's Journal  (Read 38212 times)

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetic's Journal
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 06:30:14 pm »
The extra heart I ate 2 days ago did not sustain me yesterday like the eggs I ate 3 days ago. I was hungry beginning at 4pm. Heart is very lean (68% protein, 32% fat) and has little fat, whereas eggs have a good amount of fat (35% protein, 63% fat and 2% carbs). And 3 eggs have more calories than 3 oz. of beef heart. Of course I could eat extra protein for calories, but (1) I prefer fat (2) fat is more easily digested than protein and (3) I am already consuming more than 100g of protein a day, which should be enough.

I ate late yesterday because I forgot to thaw out my organ meat in advance. My meal was eaten around 10pm instead of between 6pm and 8pm. I ate extra beef marrow, 4.5 oz. instead of 3 oz. Other than that I ate a pound of ground beef and 3 oz. of liver. This is a little low calorie-wise. I might bring eggs to work today in case I get hungry.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:41:04 pm by magnetic »

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 07:54:48 pm »
Yesterday my energy and mood were good (or should I say, sufficiently high?). I experienced some stressful situations recently and I seem to be handling stress better, as observed by others. In the past, stressful situations would often be a catalyst for bouts of depression.

I ate lots of marrow fat yesterday, 6 oz., along with 1lb. ground beef and 3 oz. liver. That's approximately 2300 calories, 115g protein, 203g fat and 3.3g carbohydrates. This is more fat than I have eaten before in one sitting. I shouldn't be hungry until my meal tonight, around 8-9pm.

I had a bowel movement this morning. I was expecting one soon, based on my last one occurring 5 days after the previous one. Today's bowel movement occurred 4 days after the previous one.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 06:48:15 am »
I had a bowel movement this morning.

I should add that it was maybe 5 inches long, type 3/4 on the BSS.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 07:56:32 am »
http://www.ketotic.org/2011/05/total-ketogenic-ratio-tkr.html has some interesting equations that give an estimate of the level of ketosis based on macronutrient intake. My KR has been between 2.6 and 2.7 for most days over the past 2 weeks. If I roughly halved my protein and increased my fat intake to make up for the difference in calories, KR would just exceed 4. This is what I came up with playing with the numbers in a spreadsheet.

http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx gives USDA suggested macronutrient intakes. For me, a male aged 32, the recommendation is 130g carbohydrates, 20-35g of fat and 56g of protein. From the low-end for fat to the high end, the "recommended" KR for me is then: 0.26 < KR < 0.34.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:50 am »
Tonight I ate 1 lb. of raw grass-fed beef, 5 oz. of raw grass-fed liver, and 7 oz. of raw beef marrow.

The macronutrients are: 129g protein, 229g fat, 5.4g carbohydrate. 2610 calories.
KR=2.57

This is more calories than I have been eating, due to extra fat. I might not even be hungry tomorrow evening, unless I do extra work.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:04 pm »
Yesterday's meal was a bit lighter. I ate late as I did not get hungry until late, around 10pm. This is obviously due to the very large amount of fat I ate the day before (7 ounces). My meal yesterday night was: 1 lb. of ground beef, 3 oz. liver and 4 oz. marrow.

The macronutrients are: 112g protein, 156g fat, 3.3g carbohydrate. 1865 calories.
KR=2.29

I have had none of the "fake headaches" mentioned above since August 7, which is now 5 days. I have experienced slight muscle soreness at times, but nothing extreme, at least I do not think it is as bad as described by others. If our bodies can maintain some of the changes from past periods of fasting or eating very low carb, such as increased metabolic flexibility from the production of mitochondria and other cellular adaptations to metabolism with less dietary glucose, then I am finding the switch to becoming keto-adapted easier in part because of past periods of eating very low carb.

According to research cited in this article at Gnolls.org,http://www.gnolls.org/1984/the-science-behind-the-low-carb-flu-and-how-to-regain-your-metabolic-flexibility/, exercise is important for regaining metabolic flexibility. It is a very interesting article, as are all of the articles on the site.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »
I just had a BM, and it was pretty much identical to the last one, no pain or anything. I was surprised because they were spaced out 5 days and 4 days, for the last two. The last one was 2 days ago. I guess the fat I am eating is doing what it is supposed to do.

This article on natural defecation is interesting: http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/constipation.html. From the article:

There is only one reliable way to prevent the drying up of stools and ensuing costivity — move your bowels after each major meal, because the act of eating ALWAYS initiates the sequence of events that stimulate defecation. These successive unconscious events are called, respectively, the gastrocolic reflex, peristaltic mass movement, and the defecation urge. That’s how our gut is wired by nature to move the bowels.

Unfortunately for most Westerners, once the potty training begins, the parents and teachers work really hard to unwire this miracle of nature. That’s so that you can finally leave the house without a diaper and sit through a class without interrupting it. It’s possible because the final stage of defecation doesn’t take place until you consciously permit it by relaxing your external anal sphincter.

Wikipedia, on the gastrocolic reflex:

The gastrocolic reflex or gastrocolic response is one of a number of physiological reflexes controlling the motility, or peristalsis, of the gastrointestinal tract. It involves an increase in motility of the colon in response to stretch in the stomach and byproducts of digestion in the small intestine. Thus, this reflex is responsible for the urge to defecate following a meal. The small intestine also shows a similar motility response. The gastrocolic reflex helps make room for more food.

I have found that I am always having bowel movements in the morning, and I eat late and go to sleep soon after eating, so the two are close together, since most of the time separating eating and having a bowel movement is sleep, a time when my body "shuts down."

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2011, 09:26:48 pm »
My mouth is usually quite dry in the morning, which I have been interpreting as thirst. It returns throughout the day, and I drink water to slake my thirst. But I am wondering if my diet is deficient in salt. I have some Himalayan Sea Salt, I think I will begin taking a teaspoon (6g) a day. Salt deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothyroidism#Signs_and_symptoms. Some of the symptoms could be confused with symptoms of early ketosis, and I do not want to confuse the two. My diet has been very low in salt for over 2 weeks now, with the exception of the oysters and scallops that I ate at the beginning of the current experiment. Also, my body does not know what I am drinking, it only knows to tell my body to drink. In the paleolithic world my thirst would have been quenched not by tap water, but by water from rivers, lakes, springs, dew on leaves, etc. So I would have been consuming mineral-rich water, not sterile, fluoridated and chlorinated water.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:54 pm »
Tap-water, and even the mineral water from the stores that I used to buy, does not hydrate me alone. I feel like I also need to eat some fruit or veg, even though I'm just thirsty and not hungry - I dislike this.

However, when I was drinking from lakes and rivers for 2-3 months I did not have this problem... It was brilliant, I just drank as much as I felt like, until I was no longer thirsty. It would hydrate me and I would not feel thirsty any more for a long time.

Tap water on the other hand tastes horrible and does not hydrate me unless I also eat some vegetation, and often makes me feel even more thirsty than I did beforehand - causing pain to my throat, headache etc... It feels like it causes problems with my digestion of food as well.

After I eat meat, I get thirsty 30mins-1hr afterwards... Here I have to drink some water and eat some veg(which messes up the digestion of the meat), if I were to just drink water I would feel I needed to keep on drinking, and would feel more thirsty the more I drank - but drinking from lakes/rivers I just drank as much as I felt like and felt perfectly hydrated.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2011, 12:29:25 am »
I feel the same re London tapwater, can't stand the stuff and my appetite disappears if I drink it. My solution was to drink alkaline mineral water(PH 7.8 to 8.4) as the more PH neutral mineral waters were also a bit useless in my case.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2011, 01:19:17 am »
I have been thinking about sourcing some water, and as I learn more I am doubtful whether "spring water" sold in plastic bottles is any better than tap water, or worth the extra money. I am leaning more towards mineral water in glass bottles, which may be very expensive, possibly too expensive. I have not looked at prices anywhere yet. I am by a river... the Detroit River. I don't think that water would be very good to drink, no better than Detroit tap water.

There is Silver Spring in Northville, http://www.findaspring.com/category/usa/michigan/, I suppose I could make regular trips and fill up jugs of water. I would consider paying the owner of a private spring to fill up glass jugs of water every week, but I do not want to spend a lot of time and (gas) money on obtaining water.

I do not know if I would benefit health-wise because I have been drinking tap water for years. But I will report if I notice anything positive, and if not I still think that mineral water will be a lot healthier for long-term health.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2011, 05:51:06 am »
I purchased a case of Ferrarelle mineral water, which is 12 750mL bottles. I started my search at some upscale grocers, which only carried Perrier and Pellegrino, at $2.39 a bottle. Neither listed the mineral contents. I next tried a beer and wine specialty store, which had the Ferrarelle, Perrier and Pellegrino, at $1.99 a bottle. I purchase Ferrarelle because it listed the mineral contents, and a case only cost $18.99. The contents lister are:

carbon dioxide at source: 2310 ppm
hydrogen carbonate: 1403 ppm
calcium: 365 ppm
silica: 86ppm
potassium: 52ppm
chloride: 20ppm
magnesium: 18ppm
sulphate: 3ppm
nitrate: 5ppm
fluoride: 1.1ppm

Nutrition Facts lists 10mg sodium and 10% daily value of calcium. Not bad, for water. Also, it lists "conductivity at 20C uS/cm 1810, pH at 18C 6.1."

This is the best water I can easily obtain right now, though I may look into ordering online of finding another local source. Also, I imagine it should be easy to precipitate the minerals out of the water and sell tablets that could be added to purified water, which would turn it into mineral water. This would mean cost savings as the consumer would not have to pay for the shipment of water in glass bottles halfway around the world. I don't know if such tablets exist, though.

According to the company's website, the water is filtered to remove arsenic, which exists at 6ppm before treatment. That is the only processing, apparently.

A little blurb on Ferrarelle mineral water: http://www.aquamaestro.com/innerview.asp?catid=6
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:06:46 am by magnetic »

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2011, 09:57:06 am »
Today my meal consisted of 1 lb. of ground beef, 3 oz. beef liver and 7.5 oz. marrow fat. I had measured 4 oz. of liver, but my cat stole some while it was warming up on the plate. And that was after I put a big 1 oz. piece in his bowl. He loves liver.

Food totals are 118g protein, 239g fat and 3.3g carbohydrate, 2646 calories, KR=2.82

This is the highest the ketogenic ratio has been.

I have noticed that sometimes the marrow is very moist, other times very dry and crumbly, but most often in between, with a consistency either chalky or buttery. I prefer it moist and slimy and wish it was all like that. I am not sure what makes it dry, perhaps it is old and has dried out in the freezer?

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 10:43:20 am »
The long thin bone has the moist marrow and the short wide bone has the dry marrow. I prefer the dry marrow.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 06:46:12 pm »
The long thin bone has the moist marrow and the short wide bone has the dry marrow. I prefer the dry marrow.

Thanks, so much knowledge here! It is hard for me to tell the difference between the bones, they appear about the same thickness and are cut to equal lengths. It seems strange for marrow to be so dry, I assumed it was always a soft, moist solid. Are the thin ones lower leg bones (tibia) and the thick ones upper leg bones (femur)? I don't know if they use the same names as human bones... wait I found this, from http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Anatomy_and_Physiology_of_Animals/The_Skeleton#Objectives:

You have humerus, radius, ulna, femur, tibia and fibula, for leg bones.

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 07:25:49 pm »

Femur is short and wide, tibia/fibula is long and narrow.

http://www6.ufrgs.br/favet/imunovet/molecular_immunology/organsimmune.html

Maybe this is why the marrow is different. The femur marrow has more recently changed from red-yellow it would appear.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2011, 10:14:59 am »
I noticed that I have not been posting about my mood and energy. Both have been excellent for the past several days. I am not going to post about them unless I experience any noticeable shifts or changes. I may have hit a plateau or I may be at a peak, I do not know.

Today, my meal consisted of 1 lb. ground beef, 2 oz. beef liver, 3 oz. beef heart, 7 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 127g protein, 230g fat and 2.3g carbohydrate. 2592 calories, 80% fat, 20% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=2.68

I also drank 3 750mL bottles of mineral water. One in the morning, one in the afternoon and one a few hours before my meal.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2011, 08:48:53 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 1 lb. ground beef, 2 oz. beef heart, 9 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 114g protein, 274g fat and 0.1g carbohydrate. 2930 calories, 84% fat, 16% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=3.19

I also drank 2 750mL bottles of mineral water in the morning. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 06:23:23 pm »
Yesterday, my meal consisted of 1 lb. ground beef, 2 oz. beef heart, 6 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 128g protein, 242g fat and 0.3g carbohydrate. 2729 calories, 80% fat, 20% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=2.80

I also drank 3 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

I had a bowel movement in the morning, 3 days after my last one. It was more of a type 4 than 3, passed easy, a brown/gray color.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 07:24:12 pm »
I started sun-gazing yesterday. It was too intense for me to look directly at the sun, so I looked just to either side. I gazed for about 30 seconds. It was refreshing and only temporarily disorienting (in terms of vision). I did it again this morning, I think for a little longer, and this time looking directly at the sun a little. It was easier, not as intense as yesterday. Both times I gazed when the sun had just risen over the horizon (which is blocked by trees and buildings in the distance). I am going to continue this as part of my morning routine, which also includes tongue scraping an drinking a bottle of Ferrarelle mineral water.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:56 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 1 lb. ground beef, 3 oz. beef heart, 7.5 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 116g protein, 240g fat and 0.1g carbohydrate. 2627 calories, 82% fat, 18% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=2.95

I also drank 3 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

I had a bowel movement shortly after dinner. It was a 3 on the BSS, 4-5 inches and brown, nothing unusual. I suppose my gastrocolic reflex is working normally. This article illustrates the difference between normal GR and GR for individuals with IBS:
http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/gastrocolic.asp

I never had IBS, but I have never been so regular as I am on my current diet. And there is never any need to wipe (really, believe me).

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 10:44:03 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 1 lb. ground beef, 3 oz. beef heart, 7.5 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 116g protein, 240g fat and 0.1g carbohydrate. 2627 calories, 82% fat, 18% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=2.95

I guess I could have said "same meal as yesterday." My food was frozen this morning, so I put it out for a few hours. I was going to put it back in the fridge but I forgot. So it was warm and ready when I got home from work. I liked it better, and the marrow was very wet, not dry at all.

My mouth is still quite dry in the morning, I am going to drink an extra bottle of mineral water, making it 4 750mL bottles a day, for 3L total.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 08:54:23 pm »
I had a BM this morning. Same as the last one.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:57 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 1 lb. ground beef, 3 oz. beef heart, 10 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 121g protein, 299g fat and 0.1g carbohydrate. 3185 calories, 85% fat, 15% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=3.24

I also drank 4 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

I only have 2 more days of marrow left, I have been going through it much faster than I expected. I thought it would last a month. I started this experiment July 25th, and thought the marrow would last until August 25th. I also have only 2 days of the regular grass-fed beef. I have 20 pounds of high-fat grass fed beef, 2 lbs. of ground buffalo, 1 lb. of buffalo liver, 6 lbs. of ground pork and 2 lbs. of pork liver, and 4 lbs. of salmon. So I am going to make some changes to what I am eating soon.

I ordered some more marrow, but it won't arrive until Thursday next week.

I would like to finish the buffalo and pork, as I have had it in my freezer the longest. I haven't been able to get any pork fats. I can get pastured lard, but I want to avoid cooked fats. I could just keep the pork frozen until I locate some good pork fat. I also have a little fat on my belly, which could come in handy.

I am finding that I really like organ meats, and I am considering including more organ meat and less muscle meat in my diet. If muscle meat is as difficult to tear off a carcass and eat (without aging) as some people say, then perhaps early human hunters had a diet of mostly organ meats and fats. Maybe they did not eat the difficult to chew muscle meats. I know that organ meats are easy to chew right out of the animal, based on my experience eating them the same day the animal was slaughtered.

Offline magnetic

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2011, 09:17:02 am »
Today, my meal consisted of 2 chicken eggs, 1 lb. ground beef, 3 oz. beef heart, 5 oz. beef marrow fat, all raw.

That's 124g protein, 190g fat and 0.9g carbohydrate. 2212 calories, 77% fat, 23% protein, less than 1% carbs. KR=2.48

I also drank 4 750mL bottles of mineral water throughout the day. And I took 1 tsp. of Himalayan sea salt.

I ate the eggs a few hours before my meal, because I had to leave for a few hours to pick up mineral water. The store I go to could not get Ferrarelle, so I am stuck with Pellegrino and Perrier for the next week. Hopefully, they can get some Ferrarelle next week. I am finding it difficult to drink 3L, so I am going to go back to drinking only when thirsty, which ends up being around 2.25L total of mineral water. It has been cloudy so I have not done as much sun-gazing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk