Author Topic: More fat more dandruff  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
More fat more dandruff
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:04:48 am »
So it seems that when I eat pure fat like bison back fate, my dandruff greatly increases. I ate mostly organ meat for 2 weeks and my dandruff was much less. however, i just started adding in more fat with the back fat and i got the same issues i had before when i originally did this kind of diet, where i can see huge flakes coming off my scalp. it doesnt make any sense. I read that apparently fat can cause more sebum. Maybe thats why?  Dandruff is fuckin frustrating

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: More fat more dandruff
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:14:32 am »
Raw fermented honey has cleared up most of what dandruff I had left. I don't know yet how often I have to eat it. It looks like it starts to come back when I haven't eaten it for a couple days.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Coatue

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
Raw fermented honey has cleared up most of what dandruff I had left. I don't know yet how often I have to eat it. It looks like it starts to come back when I haven't eaten it for a couple days.

yeah im going to give that a try....I ve tried everything else.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »
I get dandruff, usually when I am all raw. High fat during these times.
Detox could be happening due to eating lots of raw fat.
I don't have much fat around today so I ate two cups of cooked mashed potatoes and coincidentally, no dandruff.
 ??? I can only wonder

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:16 pm »
So it seems that when I eat pure fat like bison back fate, my dandruff greatly increases. I ate mostly organ meat for 2 weeks and my dandruff was much less. however, i just started adding in more fat with the back fat and i got the same issues i had before when i originally did this kind of diet, where i can see huge flakes coming off my scalp. it doesnt make any sense. I read that apparently fat can cause more sebum. Maybe thats why?  Dandruff is fuckin frustrating

Did you eat any carbs while eating high amounts of fat? Was it all animal fat?

I noticed that the more fat I eat the more carb intolerant I become. Dandruff is a kind of candida/fungi. The fat seems to block sugar digestion. If I eat a lot of fat even small amounts of fruit can cause dandruff...

I wonder why I didn't get such symptoms on coocked paleo high fat diet years ago. Any ideas?

Löwenherz

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:18:43 am »
BTW, I still have dry flakes around the apex of my scalp, though reduced, when I eat fermented honey.

I ate a cooked sweet potato last night and today I have a return of some flakes in my eyebrows and forehead (yes, I oddly get it on my forehead too). The front part of my hairy scalp is still mostly clear.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »
in society dandruff is not a nice thing.

dandruff is it something that we supposed to have naturally?
Any other animals in wild have something similar?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:00:50 am »
Dandruff is directly related to fat intake . If you take you fate on the daily basis then surely you would have more dandruff. So cut your fat intake on the daily routine and dandruff will be vanished.
My experience is the opposite. Perhaps the type of fat is a factor? I find that raw marrow, suet and egg yolks reduces my dandruff and dry skin. Eating carbs other than raw fermented honey increases it for me, whereas the raw fermented honey actually decreases it. So for me it's not just a matter of fat vs. carbs--it's a bit more complex when taking into account the beneficial effect on my skin of the honey. I suspect that the raw fermented honey helps my skin because of antinfungal and possibly probiotic effects. On the downside, I noticed the past several days that my teeth are getting slightly looser since I've been eating more raw honey, so I've been cutting back somewhat again.

There are individual factors too, like genetics, disorders of metabolism and digestion, etc. For example, I've noticed that people who don't digest fat well tend to report more problems when they eat plentiful fat than those who report digesting it well. Every individual is different in some way.

Satya of Dirty Carnivore also reports that her dry skin improved on a low-carb, high-fat diet and worsens again if she eats too much plant food: http://forum.dirtycarnivore.com/index.php/topic,949.msg50247.html#msg50247
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:22:42 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:57:39 pm »
vitamin A

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk