Poll

Body composition changes...

Gained weight and muscle
Gained weight with no muscular increase
Lost weight but looked totally ripped bro!
Lost weight and muscle
Fasting is bad for you, digest constantly.
Maintained the same weight and same muscular development

Author Topic: For Those Who Use Intermittent Fasting...  (Read 17787 times)

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
For Those Who Use Intermittent Fasting...
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:10:59 am »
I'd appreciate if you would share your own experiences!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: For Those Who Use Intermittent Fasting...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:28:36 pm »
I added another option for those, like me, who stayed the same, more or less. I do IF with 1 large meal a day, but I eat more in that one meal to compensate for that, so I'm pretty much the same as before.

I went in for IF because Aajonus's recommendations to eat lots of small meals throughout the day wasn't working for me. I realised that all that constant digestion was diverting useful resources away from healing. Also, despite the fact that I had severe adrenal burnout, I found that I actually did better not eating all the time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:14:37 pm »
I added another option for those, like me, who stayed the same, more or less.
Thanks, slipped my mind.

I went in for IF because Aajonus's recommendations to eat lots of small meals throughout the day wasn't working for me. I realised that all that constant digestion was diverting useful resources away from healing. Also, despite the fact that I had severe adrenal burnout, I found that I actually did better not eating all the time.
Yea I have been putting food into my stomach non stop in an effort to gain mass and It is beginning to drain my energy, without worthwhile effects.

Do you drink water/ veggie juices when you fast?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:24:35 pm »
Yea I have been putting food into my stomach non stop in an effort to gain mass and It is beginning to drain my energy, without worthwhile effects.

Do you drink water/ veggie juices when you fast?
I only drink alkaline mineral water. I do from 0-3 whole day fasts a fortnight, depending on circumstances. Otherwise it's 1 large meal a day, eaten within 4 hours max, usually much less than that.

As for the eating issue, it makes sense to eat less on a raw diet than a cooked one, as the nutrients in raw food are higher per kilo. Unfortunately, there is a tendency for newbies to believe that if something is good for one, then the more one eats of it, the healthier one will be - only up to a point.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:00:22 am »
I gained muscle combining my version of IF/Warrior Diet (one large evening meal daily) with heavy weight-training and paleo Zero Carb. I would never go back to more than 2 meals a day, or eat during the day. This works so well!

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:39 am »
About how much do you eat each day?

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 03:49:28 am »
About how much do you eat each day?

Lifting days, 2000-2100, non lifting days (just fasted cardio), 1600-1650.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 05:06:12 am »
Wow... That is barely a pound of meat. Seems like such a small amount yet you look nourished to me.

How about you Tyler?

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:55:21 am »
WTF? I eat at least a pound, plus eggs, organs and butter/coconut oil. Your math is off, my friend.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 09:01:21 am »
Isn't a pound about 1600 calories..
I'm sure it depends on the cut.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 02:03:11 pm »
Wow... That is barely a pound of meat. Seems like such a small amount yet you look nourished to me.

How about you Tyler?
  I eat half a kilo or a kilo, depending. Sometimes I'll even eat 1.5 kilos, but that's rare.
" Ron Paul.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 06:27:27 pm »
Tyler,

I currently eat about 4- 5 times a day and feel ok. When I postpone a meal or skip it my fat burning modus kicks in big time. I get very warm feel incredibly energetic and exited. These feelings are so strong that they are uncomfortable especially when trying to sleep. My mind goes into overdrive in I keep charging around like a bull. This can be very productive but it feels like its way too much. When I’m low-carb <40 gr a day it is especially intense.

I do however like the idea of resting my body in between meals, not having the burden of digestion. I’ve never fasted longer than ½  a day. My question would be; Do you think these sensations are temporary (sort of detox)? Do you experience something similar when IF?

If this is the normal way the body responds to fasting than maybe its not for me…

If you have already answered a similar question elsewhere I apologise, have read a lot just not the entire forum(yet). ;)
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:40:53 pm »
No, at first when I went in for IF, I would feel a lot of hunger during the first part of the day. But once I got used to IF and 1 large meal a day, I felt, overall, a hightened sense of alertness/concentration and a higher level of energy. Not like what you describe, more a steady thing, no charging around like a bull..
" Ron Paul.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »
It depends on what you teach your body a regime that consists of your habits..

If you always skip break fast and eat huge meal at the end of the day overtime your body will adapt and the more you practice it the more your body will become better on 1meal a day your appetite will change so you eat more at dinner.

If you teach your body eat little meals throughout the day it will adapt to that plan..

Its all depends on what you teach your body this is why I always recommend my friends to get their body in certain regime it will make your life a little bit easier for you its like programing your body on what to do on certain times.

but thats just what I believe in you don't have to do it.

Of course you can freestyle your life like  paleo man did you can sleep till you want eat just when hungry but how efficient this will be in the modern world?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:28:27 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 07:29:03 pm »
Lowcarb/Ketosis always gets me energised however when eating a lot throughout the day, like 4 fatty meals, my energy is rather stable. When ketosis is induced through fasting or when fasting during ketosis I get the above described. I never ever skip breakfast makes me feel quite horrible! So I think I’ve taught my body to expect nutrients in the morning.

I used to start the day with a milk-egg butter shake and lunch with meat. Read “Life without bread” last week. Although they are focussed on cooked low-carb, I think a lot of the research/information within is solid. The authors suggest a meat breakfast so I switched lunch/breakfast. Last few days I had ~300gr meat with butter for breakf and felt less like eating 2e bf and lunch(but did anyway). Maybe I skip lunch today see if a solid breakfast enables me to IF till diner.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:52 pm »
I'd appreciate if you would share your own experiences!

Eating several meals during the day makes me weak, sluggish and lazy.

Two meals per day is MAX for me.

Weight gain or loss depends more on total energy intake, IMO.

Löwenherz

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 02:05:04 am »
Isn't a pound about 1600 calories..
I'm sure it depends on the cut.

A pound of 85/15, which is what the base of my 1 meal a day is, is about 1000 calories. I add eggs/organs/butter/CO to get my desired caloric range.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 02:06:45 am »
I could never go back to mulitple (more than 2) meals a day. It is so unnatural.

Offline Techydude

• Shaman
  • The barefoot raw paleo nudist intactivist naturale
    • View Profile
    • Genital integrity through regenerative medicine
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 03:04:44 am »
This makes so much sense after I read your previous posts Klowcarb after you said you only eat once or so. This made sense when I heard way back that early humans didn't eat much because when the stomach is full or working most of the day it's not good. The stomach shouldn't always be full or always working.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 03:51:21 am »
What about paul checks way to health and fitness?

Offline alycia

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 06:28:20 pm »
I could never go back to mulitple (more than 2) meals a day. It is so unnatural.

Klowcarb- how did you get to one meal a day? 
I would really like to get there, yet i do my workouts first thing in the morning so i am not sure if that is wise for me. 
But i am still curious how one can make it on  only one meal a day.  do you juice during the day or just drink water?
you must have a very big dinner ;D

Offline Brother

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 07:00:53 pm »
I don't do it consciously. It is more like sometimes for weeks, I dont feel like eating a lot. I skip down to only a small meal at night. I like feeling hungry sometimes. I mean really hungry. I obviously slim down but what I really love is the clearness of thought that comes with hunger. I am a ghrelin addict for sure. But Im far from anorexic I love eating and can eat like a hog (and will do so most of the time) but fasting is a natural part of my life. I wouldnt want to be without it, nor do I want to schedule it.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 11:32:23 pm »
I become irritable and easily pissed off if i don't eat when I'm hungry.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline alycia

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 11:43:46 pm »
I become irritable and easily pissed off if i don't eat when I'm hungry.

ME too  :D
that is why i want some insight to how one can only eat one meal and at the end of the day.  Not criticizing it at all either, i wish i could do it - less time in the kitchen :)!!!!!

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 08:29:09 am »

Klowcarb- how did you get to one meal a day? 
I would really like to get there, yet i do my workouts first thing in the morning so i am not sure if that is wise for me. 
But i am still curious how one can make it on  only one meal a day.  do you juice during the day or just drink water?
you must have a very big dinner ;D

It was a gradual drop from a late lunch and dinner to just a huge evening meal. Now it is easy. I drink hot tea and water all day long, and sometimes take salt, especially when I am lifting.

I am zc; you could not pay me to touch sugar (juice).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk