Author Topic: Introduction and a question  (Read 11945 times)

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Introduction and a question
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:45:41 am »
I've been eating Zero Carb (mostly beef) for a little over 2 years.  I know a lot of you from your past participation at ZIOH.  I switched to one meal a day about 6 weeks ago and then started preferring the taste of raw meat 2 weeks ago and I'm trying to see if I can switch to all raw.  I'm eating raw skirt steak and raw sirloin stew meat.  I leave the meat on a plate or in an open container in the fridge and I've been letting it get ranker and ranker and I like the taste. 

My question is about the dog breath I got today from only 3-day-old meat.  Does that go away?  I know it's not ketone breath.  I'm way past that.

I'm trying to make some high meat, too.  I didn't want to wait 3 weeks by doing it the fridge so I've got it in a plastic container in the cupboard.  I'll air it twice a day and taste a little each day to see how rotten I can stand.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction and a question
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:23:15 pm »
3 days old isn't old on the Dark side.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:57:25 pm »
Yes, I didn't think 3 days was very old.  It was stew meat and some of the pieces were brown/grey.  I'm just wondering about the lingering bad taste it gave me and if the body adjusts to that and it goes away.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:21:22 am »
I've been eating Zero Carb (mostly beef) for a little over 2 years.

Hi,

Welcome to Raw Paleo World!

Please tell us more about your zero carb diet and your experiences! Are you eating muscle meat only, like recommended at ZIOH, if I remember correctly?

I was on a cooked zero carb diet for several months many years ago. It was not too bad, but I feel better on a 100% raw diet. When following a 100% raw diet, ZC seems to be impossible for me and I still would like to know the reasons. So, I'm very interested in your experience on a raw ZC diet...

Best wishes

Löwenherz

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:05:59 am »
Hi Löwenherz - I wonder if that is German for Lawrence.

I've done very well on cooked ZC and I've tried organs now and then but I don't eat them as a rule.  I started ZC to cure a chronic sinus and chest congestion problem and it worked.  I sleep better and I don't get anxious like I used to.  I'm getting into raw ZC because I'm following my cravings.  I hope it gives me a big boost in energy and focus and well being.  We'll see.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:19:54 am »
Well, the high-meat should work fine re increased energy.

By the way, "Lôwenherz" is German for "Lion-heart", as in "Richard the Lion-Heart".
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MoonStalkeR

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:45:23 am »
When I stored pre-frozen meat in plastic it had a strong, repulsive smell that I felt for the next day after eating it. Are you experiencing any belching?

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 05:08:35 am »
No, I'm not burping.  I'm pretty sure this meat has never been frozen.   I did notice that my last batch of stew meat that I did freeze and then thaw didn't taste as good (less flavorful, not rank) so I'm trying to not freeze it. 

I've got more grey pieces of meat to eat tonight.  I'll see how my breath feels after trying it.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 05:31:17 am »
Welcome Larry. Good to see you here. I enjoyed your posts at ZIOH.

I haven't gotten the bad taste effect you mentioned, even from some high meat I have that is over 2 years old, so I don't know what to tell you about that.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:23:39 am »
Well, I had the same meat tonight and even though it is a day older it didn't leave me with a bad taste.  I guess I got used to quickly.

My high meat that I started yesterday tastes really good, now.  It's nice and sour.  It's not really high meat, yet, of course.  I need to search the forum again to see how long it takes when you make it at room temp. 

Tomorrow I plan to take my stew meat out of the fridge in the morning so it can sour up a little for my meal at night.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 03:29:05 pm »
I personally have accepted my dog breath and believe that the foul odor is an indication of beneficial bacteria that help with digestion. I just have to learn not to get to close to strangers when I talk, but my breath personally doesn't bother me ( I like the feeling that my mouth has even with a little high meat after taste) My breath doesn't even seem bad to me anymore, and my mouth feels clean as can be. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:33:51 pm by TylerDurden »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 11:19:59 pm »
Hi Larry,
Good to see you here.  We have several of the old ZIOH gang here.  Many of the ZIOH folks also post to the DirtyCarnivore forum.  You might drop by there and say hi as well.

http://forum.dirtycarnivore.com/index.php

Lex

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:41 am »
can't answer your question, but got a few for you  ;D ...

why did you go zc?  do you plan to stay this way?

and one more.. how is life in san antonio?  i've got my eye on a few cities for when i can move again, and that is one of them.

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:20 am »
Ioanna - I've always been kind of a health diet nut and I've tried them all.  Before getting into ZC I was eating a la Cordain's ideas about Paleo - lean meats, olive oil, lots of vegetables and fruits.  A couple people on that forum mentioned ZC and how it really helped them so I looked into it.  My main goal dropping all plant food was to cure a chronic sinus and chest congestion condition that had me taking a lot of Mucinex and sinus pills, and I also felt that I should be sleeping better.  ZC solved these issues.  I think I'll continue with it because it works for me.  I'm intrigued about raw ZC and I'll be trying it out for a while.

I like it in San Antonio.  It's pretty nice here except in the summer.  Austin is more of a hip place.  Their bumper sticker is "Keep Austin Weird" ours is "Keep San Antonio Lame".  San Antonio is a conservative but very friendly city.

How long have you been eating raw meat?  What did it do for you.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 01:11:27 am »
Hi, Larry! You are one of the people I miss from the ZIOH site.

I hope you eat more organs and egg yolks. Muscle meat only is a bad idea in the long run. I cannot believe how much time I wasted eating just ground beef.

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 01:19:28 am »
Klowcarb - I was pleased to see that you are posting here.  I bought some beef liver this morning and had a little raw bite just to taste it.  It was great.  I think I'll enjoy organs raw.  I did try things like kidneys and sweet bread and tripe over the past year or so, always cooked.  I'd enjoy them for a little while and then get tired of them and not eat any organ meat for a long time.  I'm going to try raw sweet bread soon. Egg yolks sound good, too.  I'll have to try that.  I hate to waste the white but I guess that's okay.

Offline rawcarni

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 03:06:31 am »
Hey Larry,
cool to see you here! You may not remember me from ZIOH. I have been eating raw ZC for most of my ZC adventure. Good luck trying going raw!
all the best
Nicole

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 03:09:40 am »
Oh, Nicole!   Nice to see that you are here.  I always enjoyed reading your posts on ZIOH. 

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 06:03:11 am »
If an organ tastes bad to you at first, I wouldn't give up on it, as it seems like I gradually acquire a taste for healthy foods over time, though certain foods like kidneys are taking longer for me to adapt to than others. I consider it an investment in my health and if I don't want to taste something much I can just cut it up into small chunks and gulp it down. Even this seems to help the adaptation process, surprisingly.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 04:32:27 am »
That's a good suggestion Phil.  Thanks.  I'm leaving my 1 lb of liver to air dry in the fridge and I'll see how much I want to eat each evening.  I guess it could stay in there a long time without any problems.  Sometimes my air-dried meat gets too dry after many days but I recently discovered that leaving it out of the fridge for about a day moistens it nicely.

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 07:58:42 am »
Well, this evening the raw liver tasted great to me and I had about a 1/4 lb.  I could have eaten more but I'm saving some for the rest of the week.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »
Nice. Calf liver is my preference, but I got beef liver this week.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 03:28:11 am »
I personally have accepted my dog breath and believe that the foul odor is an indication of beneficial bacteria that help with digestion. I just have to learn not to get to close to strangers when I talk, but my breath personally doesn't bother me ( I like the feeling that my mouth has even with a little high meat after taste) My breath doesn't even seem bad to me anymore, and my mouth feels clean as can be. 

Could high meat be the sole reason for bad breath?

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 03:35:30 am »
... ZC solved these issues. 

Hi Larrymagee,

have you noticed any improvements in skin health on ZC?

After I got extremely sick from unhealthy meat from diseased animals in 2007 I went on a very low fat high fruit diet for many months. Inflammations in my GI tract healed slowly (as long as I preferred non-acidic tropical fruits), but all the fruit sugar had desastrous (!) effects on my skin. Years later I can still see the damage. I wonder if an carnivorous ZC diet could help healing my skin?

Löwenherz

Offline larrymagee

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 03:51:41 am »
Hi Löwenherz - I didn't have skin problems so I can't speak from experience.  I believe that Lex Rooker experienced some very dramatic skin improvements on raw Zero Carb.  He's on this forum. 

I've also seen a lot of reports of skin and hair improvements on the ZIOH Forum.  Most of them eat cooked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk