Author Topic: how would you treat brain injury?  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
how would you treat brain injury?
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:53:49 am »
If you had a relative that had a traumatic brain injury and was basically in a coma and on a feeding bag (that goes into the stomach, not the veins) what could you do? Are there different formulations for that stuff? Would fish oil be good for brain repair in that situation? Anyone know of any science in the area?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: how would you treat brain injury?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:57:43 pm »
cayenne tincture... lots and lots of it.

also niacin... loads of it.

you can also explore www.pyroenergen.com

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:32:00 pm »
Ketones. They need to be absorbing a ketogenic diet, it is neuroprotective.

There are plenty of studies in this area Kyle but don't have the time to look them up for you. I went through this with a close relative recently and well...I had to step back and realise it's up to the next of kin. In a coma for over a month.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 03:12:59 pm »
Sorry if this has happened to you. In that situation, I doubt if the doctors would allow any change from the food they use, and probably quite right.

There may be possible improvements in theory, but I feel it's best to go with the tested nutrition that they use rather than what people could come up with on an internet forum. It's all complicated as you know with bioscience, and obviously not something you want to gamble on.

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:27:56 pm »
i agree with the above with certain reservations
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:30:37 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
There may be possible improvements in theory, but I feel it's best to go with the tested nutrition that they use rather than what people could come up with on an internet forum. It's all complicated as you know with bioscience, and obviously not something you want to gamble on.

The thing about tested nutrition is that it's the mainstream pharmaceutical and agribusiness interests that decide what is tested, so essentially the argument that this or that nutrition isn't tested will last forever because there will never be money for someone to test it. Nice how that works out for them, eh?

Here's what the feeding bag has, this is from memory so it might not be 100% verbatim: Maltodextrin, sucrose, sodium caseinate, medium chain triglycerides, canola oil, soybean oil, soybean fiber, then it gets down to small ingredients (<1%) for micro nutrients.

That's correct, the second biggest ingredient is table sugar, the first being something pretty similar to table sugar. The only fats are processed omega-6 heavy vegetable oils (at least evidence has been shown about 3-6 levels) and the protein appears to be in the form of casein, notoriously the second most problematic protein behind the wheat proteins gluten/gliadin.

I'm not saying I have the ideal formulation figured out, but I would be hard pressed to come up with a hypothetical formulation worse than that one. It's as if the medical industry just asked the agribusiness industry how they'd like the formulation to be, since those are obviously the cash crops that mega-farms produce.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:53 pm »
You could come up with a formulation with a similar profile, but without the bad stuff. I don't know how you'd assess it's safety though.

I'm really not sure about ketogenic diet etc, as who knows what the adaption to this would be like on top of everything else.

Offline riy freeman

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »
I agree that those ingredients are atrocious, but through a feeding bag, what sorts of things do you have access to substitute that? If you remove the relatives feeding bag you would be in a lot of trouble from many people around you who will have a problem with that ethically and otherwise. It is a very frustrating position indeed but unless that patient is consciously asking for alternative treatment, the situation will be very hard to change.
The other thing with traumatic brain injury is that miracles are apparently truly rare. A person in a coma for more than 2 months has a very slim chance of ever waking up. SO, at some point (after several months) I guess one must face the painful question of whether keeping the patient alive through a feeding tube is truly really beneficial to the patient or more beneficial to the relatives who are not ready to let go. Its a tragic subject.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »
It all depends on how gung ho you are about fiddling with hospitals.
I have done so many many times when I know the hospital is not up to task.

Case #1:
My grandma was dying of pneumonia and the hospital said they couldn't save her.
I paid for the flight of my aunt so she could do as I tell her.
My grandma had a feeding tube with ensure.
I told my aunt to pull out that damn tube with the ensure.
I told her to feed apple juice to my grandma to get her liver started.
Then I told her to feed my grandma a powerful herbal colon cleanser.
Of course that cured her.

Case #2:

My son last year was in the hospital.  The dextrose IV on his left hand was not enough to give him hydration.  
I gave him a sugar and salt enema and he bounced back to life in 1 minute.

Then the surgeons team wanted to do surgery on him, replace his colon with a plastic tube for the rest of his life, and 50% probability, he would die anyway from the surgery and if no surgery they said he would die from blood loss. (he was rectally bleeding every 20 minutes).

I locked the doors and gave my son castor oil and vco enema and olive oil enema.  By midnight he was well, by morning, the doctors arrived with my son all well.  They insisted on surgery anyway. I said surgery cancelled.  Son is well, smiling, laughing, they did a new round of ultrasound and x-ray and found that his intestines had straightened out.  They said it was a miracle.  But you and I know better.

I have case #3, 4, 5... but you get the point.

If it is a true loved one in dire need and the hospital comes short and you feel you have the power to do good, it may be worth a shot to do what you have to do... against hospitals / doctors orders...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:20:42 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 01:33:25 am »
GS,
Good for you. I do not trust Doctors because of all the reasons you and others stated. They have a God complex and rare is the doctor that does not see drugs and slice and dice as the answer. That is all they know because that is all they are taught. It is their religion.

Some are starting to see a little bit of light, but the light is still fuzzy and they don't trust it.

The trouble is that most are stuck deeply in a paradyme that is paying for the Mercedes and they don't want the gravy train to stop.
Cheers
Al

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 07:56:58 am »
it's amazing (ironic, really) that the worst food is in the hospital! 

in addition to nutrition, i would want to incorporate something like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofeedback

this started with nasa. they used it successfully to 'train' the astronauts so they would not react with seizures to the fuel. 

it's just sort of an extra push to get the brain going again. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk