Author Topic: Is Olive Oil a healthy fat to supplement animal fat?  (Read 9204 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Is Olive Oil a healthy fat to supplement animal fat?
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:25:08 am »
I enjoy the taste of olive oil with ground beef and sea salt (really the only way I can eat raw meat at the moment), but I wasn't sure if olive oil is all that healthy. Of course the majority of my fat intake would be saturated animal fats, but is there a problem with having such a pretty high quantity of unsaturated fat in one's regular diet? If so, doesn't bone marrow have a lot of unsaturated fat?

Does anyone have any insight about olive oil?

Thanks in advance.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Is Olive Oil a healthy fat to supplement animal fat?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:54 am »
Different people, different tastes.
Personally, I never liked the taste of olive oil.
My first encounter with olive oil is in olive oil liver flushes.
I probably just had too much olive oil and it stuck to my brain.

Aajonus says olive oil dries the skin eventually.
I'm sure in time, you will learn to eat raw paleo food one item at a time, un-condimented, solo, un-blended.
Then you will be able to discern what you really need.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:26:49 pm »
I think olive oil is way to unsaturated to be a large part of ones diet. However is has a rather good micronutrient profile so it may be usefull in small amounts. I used to take 1 tblspoons every morning with my breakfast together with the same amount vco. When starting rpd I quit the olive oil though. I had some issue's with the taste of raw meat but no more since I switched from organic farm raised semi grainfed to free roaming 100% pasture fed meat. That firm dark purple/red meat with hard yellow fat tastes so much better! Had some of the former meat left over so I tried that recently  -v Its so soft light red with soft slimy fat bwah
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:46 pm »
The only plant oil that I would ever eat and do eat is coconut oil. Olive oil is high in omega 6s.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:02:43 pm »
The only plant oil that I would ever eat and do eat is coconut oil. Olive oil is high in omega 6s.
Olive oil is ~10% omega 6 so in small amounts this should not be a big problem imo. Especially when eating lots of fatty fish/grassfed meat.

Before the diet I felt better when eating more olive oil. But I've always believed in eating lots of animal fat(/not eating grains) even when doing sad so the olive oil still was only a small part of my total fat intake. Now that I'm getting 70% of my cal's from fat I no longer crave the oil. Maybe it was just my body telling my to up the fat intake :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:29:11 pm by TylerDurden »
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:41:27 am »
On paper it might not be too bad, but eating a lot of it made me feel sick of the sight of it and I wouldn't touch it.

If you stick to small amounts it might not bother you...but I don't think it's good.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: No, OLIVE OIL IS NOT HEALTHY.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:19:51 am »
Scientists of university of Münster (Germany) are convinced that olive oil causes atherosclerosis. The report was written in 2008. Here is a summary (in german language, google translation maybe useful):

http://www.uni-muenster.de/Rektorat/muz/2008/1-50.html

All well known high-end gourmet stars have been shocked and very angry. Lot's of discussions. LOL!

And here is the more interesting thing for us raw paleo dieters:

The above mentioned scientists say that SATURATED fats can cancel the destructive effects of olive oil. That means saturated fats are protective!

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 02:23:44 am »

This might be the reason that I always get brain fog if I eat more than tiny amounts of olive oil.

Furthermore ALL olive oils are more or less rancid in the bottle. The PUFAs are high (round about 10%) and they are not stable.

Löwenherz

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 03:08:34 am »

And here is the more interesting thing for us raw paleo dieters:

The above mentioned scientists say that SATURATED fats can cancel the destructive effects of olive oil. That means saturated fats are protective!

Löwenherz

This is one theory for the French "Paradox", they have better health markers than a lot of people in Western Europe despite eating lots crap, maybe because they wash it down with a lot of naughty saturated fat

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:32:07 am »
This is one theory for the French "Paradox", they have better health markers than a lot of people in Western Europe despite eating lots crap, maybe because they wash it down with a lot of naughty saturated fat
the french kitchen has evolved around butter.........

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:59:53 pm »

Another theory for the French paradox is the high consumption of resveratrol, an antioxidant found in wine, which unlike most antioxidants can cross the blood-brain barrier and thus protect the brain and nervous system. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/29/Can-You-Really-Extend-Your-Life-Span-with-this-Antioxidant.aspx
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »
Another theory for the French paradox is the high consumption of resveratrol, an antioxidant found in wine, which unlike most antioxidants can cross the blood-brain barrier and thus protect the brain and nervous system. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/29/Can-You-Really-Extend-Your-Life-Span-with-this-Antioxidant.aspx
so maybe this organic wine isn't such a bad idea..

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 04:19:49 pm »
so maybe this organic wine isn't such a bad idea..

Yeah I was thinking the same...I keep finding more and more reasons to buy it.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 04:35:15 pm »
Well for me the large amounts of fat are more convincing than small amounts of resveratrol found in wine. But drink it if you like it :)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:22:52 pm »
Well for me the large amounts of fat are more convincing than small amounts of resveratrol found in wine. But drink it if you like it :)

I suppose the french also consume quite a lot of raw dairy. At least I think so...they produce a lot of raw cheeses. So you could argue that the saturated fat consumed by the french is healthier relative to other countries...

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 09:19:24 pm »
Certanly true! they actually allow raw dairy in france.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 09:22:43 pm »
raw milk french cheese is sooooooo good  ;D Ah sells raw milks cheese in nl by the way. Its called "boerenkaas"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:29:37 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 10:37:01 pm »
Ever since I started consuming raw dairy, which was like just a couple of weeks ago, i've tried two types of raw cheese. I tried the Dutch machedoux, a raw goats cheese that you can buy in the natuurwinkel and I tried a raw sheeps cheese from Italy, which I just bought in a cheese shop. Both times I got an itchy feeling in my mouth. Dunno if it's because maybe the animals were fed grain or if it's a reaction to the mold used in the cheese or what (anyone know if the mold used for cheese making is actually any good for ya?). So anyway I havn't had any since.
Until now I never knew cheese was so damn expensive btw! Also didn't know it was so damn tastey!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 11:07:40 pm »
Ever since I started consuming raw dairy, which was like just a couple of weeks ago, i've tried two types of raw cheese. I tried the Dutch machedoux, a raw goats cheese that you can buy in the natuurwinkel and I tried a raw sheeps cheese from Italy, which I just bought in a cheese shop. Both times I got an itchy feeling in my mouth. Dunno if it's because maybe the animals were fed grain or if it's a reaction to the mold used in the cheese or what (anyone know if the mold used for cheese making is actually any good for ya?). So anyway I havn't had any since.
Until now I never knew cheese was so damn expensive btw! Also didn't know it was so damn tastey!

They put too much salt in those cheeses.  You are much better off getting raw milk and making your own raw milk cheese/kefir.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk