Author Topic: Safe Stool Frequency  (Read 14448 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Safe Stool Frequency
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:11:16 am »
Hey all,
     I have been eating more RZC lately and have had regular stools (once a day) but I have been showing signs of dry mouth which I contribute to taking too much Magnesium Citrate which I take for constipation and Lyme-related deficiency. I was wondering what you all thought was a safe length of time to not evacuate a stool? Some mainstream sources say every other day is safe, and it may be wise to go to the ER after three days.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Safe Stool Frequency
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:30:57 am »
Moved to RZC forum.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:48:22 am »
Stool frequencies vary between individuals, thus other people's opinions on that will likely be largely worthless to you. A more objective and useful gage is the Bristol Stool scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale. FWIW, I get more constipated the more lean meat/fish (or tough, fibrous veggies) I eat. However, if I eat too much carbs I get acne, dental problems, dry skin, etc., so it's a balancing act for me.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:40:34 am »
Eat more fat. Whichever you like; animal fat, butter, cream, avocado.
Cheers
Al

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:47:44 am »
Eat more fat. Whichever you like; animal fat, butter, cream, avocado.

I just bought some suet from U.S. Wellness Meats and I've been eating a lot more fat per meal. I find I eat too much protein per meal at the moment.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:52:35 pm »
Try out a variety of different fats, I will eat the whole animal so I get, backfat, suet, intestinal fat, bone marrow, brain fat. Then I also use coconut butter fairly heavily. I estimate that about 70 percent of my total calories come from fat.

Supplements should not be necessary once you begin to get the optimal balance of nutrients from raw animal sources.

My stools are well formed and digested. I usually have one every two days.
Occasionally I will have some type of huge movement due to to many eggs or whatever, and I will go up to three days. Because I am on a 90% carnivorous diet there isn't enough bulk to prompt daily bowl movements, so I try not to worry.

Instead of using magnesium try of few whole raw eggs everyday, if you have issues with constipation, or even just a splash of coconut water. Both eggs and coconut help provide good a mineral balance and have a slight laxative effect.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 11:28:13 pm »
I find a glass of fresh squeezed vege (celery) juice helps. Since it is a bit strong I add some raw honey to improve the flavour.
Cheers
Al

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:54:30 pm »
I find a glass of fresh squeezed vege (celery) juice helps. Since it is a bit strong I add some raw honey to improve the flavour.
Thats my wake up call... Fresh green juice with honey immediately out of bed really boosts my energy. 30-60mins later I have a heavy meat/fat meal.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:11:34 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:56:21 pm »
    I might go to the ER the second day if I felt sick and didn't know what to do. It's taken me several weeks several times when I was vegan. I finally did go to the hospital. There was no stomach ache. But I refused to believe it was normal. So they checked me and told me it was normal. One time after two days it made me sick, so I rested, recuperated and went raw. Since eating animal foods there is no stool problem.

A little coconut water wouldn't do anything to me. The rest? Yeah, they are helpful.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:50:56 am »
An older well-experienced nurse in an intensive care unit told me that what she saw work consistently best over the years (better than any medication) was warm prune juice. It had to be warm though. Maybe try that before going to the hospital? Then there is always an herb called senna - but not good for long-term. An enema can get things started as the longer things are in you the more dry they get and that stops up the flow. Dehydration in general can cause constipation. There is this tea called "smooth move" which can really help too. Gentle but effective. Sagrada Cascara (sp?) can also be very helpful.

But you can't depend on any of these treatments to get rid of symptoms for long without potentially doing harm. The right balance for you of fat, fiber foods, meat etc. has to been attained so that everything keeps on moving well and comfortably. Constipation is a real sign that your diet is not ideal for you. If you have been constipated most of your life or have lots of allergies you will have a bigger challenge and might have to rely on outside help more often - but if you aren't improving then it makes sense to continue to experiment with your diet until you do feel improvements.

Oh, and btw, if you do go to the hospital and they treat you - believe me - it will be extreme. They will give you medications that make all the insides of your intestines turn liquid and/or give you suppositories and these can be painful and extreme. If you can avoid going by using plant helpers and gentle enemas at home, I highly suggest it. Sometimes all it takes is a fleets enema that is easy to use (water in a squeeze bottle basically) that you can get from any drugstore. Also, sometimes all it takes is lots of good bacteria like lactobacillus that you can increase slowly until it works. Another thing that is fairly safe is vitamin c in larger and larger doses until it causes diarrhea. There are so many better choices to try before intense pharmaceuticals. Sometimes all it takes is some yoga and circular clockwise rubbing of the belly. For some more fruit works well. Even just getting more exercise helps some people.

These are only a few ideas. There are many more natural ways.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:58:34 am by Dorothy »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 12:55:30 am »
Chew a dozen raisins very well. 1/2 an hour later you should have a movement.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 02:32:57 am by TylerDurden »
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 01:41:57 am »
    @D I did all those and a whole lot more natural cures. I got semi-disasters or full on, but never a normal bowel movement. Granted it was stress and not diet, but my life required a better diet, so ...
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 03:50:40 am »
Well, after long constipation I wouldn't expect a normal bowel movement but in those cases the best you can hope for is to just get out the waste. You did what was the important thing Zi and figured out a diet for yourself that didn't cause constipation and made sure you weren't just treating the symptoms. That's the best way to think about the problem - but sometimes people just need to get enough out to stay alive long enough to figure things out. You can die from auto-intoxication... at the very least it can make you feel so bad that you can't think straight or have enough energy to change the diet.

I think people are different as to what they need to keep things moving. The only time I had bowel movements that did not feel ideal was when I started to eat lots of raw meat to convince my husband that it wouldn't kill him. I wanted him to see me eating lots. My bowels slowed and were not comfortable. I had to make sure I ate enough fermented dairy to keep it all moving at that time. Maybe high meat would have done the same? But now that I don't feel like I have to be the guinea pig I can eat only as much as appeals to me and therefore it doesn't affect my frequency or comfort in the slightest.

I think we instinctively know what's right for us. I don't think there can be a set number. Ease, comfort, good energy levels, thought's clear. That I think says more than striving for a number.

Offline Xisca

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 11:45:41 am »
I started ZC early march, and I was constipated for the first time in my life today. I was a bit difficult the other days, but today, no I cannot be like this all the time! And for some days now, I have hard stools but with some liquid just afte, as if it was really stuck and waiting!  It was dark brown playdo, very sticky.

When I was super low carbs with greens, I had no problem.

I know I am not high in fats, but I cannot even eat a lot of meat, I have no apetite! i eat some butter and many eggs though. Often I am hungry only twice per day.

Is zc really better than low?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 09:22:38 am »
Butter can for some people, gunk up the works and cause congestive issues.

Too many eggs can also be an issue.

For LC or ZC to work long term you have to have the proper balance of Fats and proteins, and should also make sure to have the right balance of organ meats.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 10:58:34 am »
I agree with the butter and eggs, if eaten to extreme.    Experiencing the same, and am increasing my mg. and adding a few leek leaves, or other prebiotic low low carb fiborous vegs.   I also grind into a  paste the 'skin' or connective tissue that comes on my back fat and eat all of it.  It's technically not fiber but can add bulk.  I also may try a couple of table spoons of saurkraut.   I have experienced some real improvements in certain areas by going zero carb, by not feeding sugar feeding organisms in my body. 

Offline Xisca

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 05:06:18 am »
Today was fine!
I upped first of all water. As I have tooth ache, I was not finishing my glasses, as I have to be super careful with the heat.

haha I upped fat ...with butter, but also coco and cacao butter.

I get at least 3 eggs per day, and was having a bit of cured goat raw cheese. Indeed I had eaten a bit more, so I slowed. 

My access to varied meat is reduced, so I still have not found good beef fat.

but I think the best solution is to have more GELATINE! ....as some people complain that it gives them diarrhea, in an omnivore diet. We need to eat some skin...

Offline kevNPGr

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:31:27 pm »
I've found there are no issues as long as I eat fat. One day I had some limited food and was eating only lean beef and it didn't go very well lol.

What I've read here and on other forums is if you have any issues with constipation you can just add more fat and it will get better.

Offline thehadezb

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 02:05:45 am »
Has anyone found eating big chunks of connective tissue or the hard parts from dry-aged meat constipating?
I always see some of that connective tissue on my stools so I was thinking if that is somewhat hurting my bowels. Also, I've been constipated for a few days after I ate a big chunk of dry-hard meat from my dry-aged muscle meat and fats.
I would like to hear some experiences on this form the zero-carb guys.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 04:54:54 am »
cut it up first

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:14 am »
Yes, if u lack bile and HCI it will almost certainly cause constipation, since your gastric acid couldn´t break down the hard connective tissue, especially of dry-aged meats or big chunks of fat and protein. So u end up with all these bigger pieces that will block up your colon. Then if you lack proper gut bacteria you will have an even harder time. Cutting up in small pieces is an option, or doing ground or pate until gastric secretion and gut bacteria improve.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk