Author Topic: Anyone eat raw deer/venison?  (Read 6406 times)

Offline pioneer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Anyone eat raw deer/venison?
« on: May 29, 2011, 05:24:13 am »
Anybody eat raw deer/venison. I was talking to a hunter who ate raw grassfed cow/cattle but said he would never eat raw deer/venison because of parasite issues being a wild animal. I think this is just bullshit though. Just thought I'd ask for others' experiences.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

"There is a lot of pressure to be sexualized but not to actually be sexual."
- women's health member

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone eat raw deer/venison?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:58:56 am »
i ate half of deer earlier this year.  hope to get few more this fall.  i did notice few cyst-like bumps inside the liver, simply discarded them.  there were probably few that i did not see and ate them.  the liver was in the freezer for about a month so i did not worry about it.  other than that i did not notice anything different than store meat.

the deer was from upper michigan, not the cleanest area but way better than upper illinois/lower wisconsin.  i would not eat anything wild from that area.  deers there have chronic wasting disease similar to mad cow.  so know where your deer is coming from.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:23:20 am »
Yep, whenever my papa goes hunting (i hunt too, but haven't made time for it in a while), I make sure to get the liver and heart, (and from now on the marrow, and other vitals as well!), I eat them raw, and they are delicious and never noticed any maleffects. Your hunter friend is of course, operating from seriously F'd premises and you can be confident that as long as you're getting good quality animal foods in raw form, parasites are not going to find a hospitable environment inside of you, or at least they won't become a problem.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »
I've eaten raw wild venison in quantity for a decade and never once had issues with parasites, so it's all hysteria-driven.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 03:08:40 am »
I also have eaten some.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 03:45:44 am »
I've eaten raw wild venison in quantity for a decade and never once had issues with parasites, so it's all hysteria-driven.

Yeah, me too... for 24 years.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk