Author Topic: To Chew or not to Chew  (Read 21614 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: To Chew or not to Chew
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:26 am »
I find that chewing beef minimally is satisfying, some 10 chews per small piece.

I think the old over chewing bit is needed for cooked food which has lots of condiments so people eat for taste.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 11:59:09 am »
Indeed the presence of ptyalin in saliva appears to be a digestive adaptation to eating something starchy, on the basis that the resultant sugars are needed by some metabolic processes. However, it falls short in assuming that only starchy veggies have starch, which many here know to be false, as certain organs (liver) are relatively high in glycogen, an animal starch. The original claim that ptyalin interferes with protein digestion seems rather odd, considering that its job is starch digestion.

Point being, while healing, and wanting to use as much of your energy as possible for healing, if eating meat that has no starch, to chew would be a waste of energy making ptyalin.  It might also put extra enzymes in the mix that would be best not to be there.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 02:19:24 am »
Maybe the ptyalin changes the pH, I don't know any other way it could interfere.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 01:29:28 am »
Holy smokes.. heres how you do it..

1) cut chunk of meat
2) mash in teeth until it feels like you can swallow it
3) swallow

Ive also started trying out eating my chicken bones and so far ive not noticed any undigested bones in my stool.
Ill see bits of left-over fat but i assume that its like a waste material, kind of like when you render fat and the liquid comes out but there is the crackle left.
That's not paleo.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 08:43:37 am »
You know I did try bolting some of the leg of mutton that I was eating; it got stuck in my thought and I had to make myself perk it up (that took quite a while and I thought I had to die!). I also found quite a bit of mutton undigested in my stool; all this upset me very much!

I tried bolting some meat, but had a similar experience to Nicola's. Without chewing it first, the only way I could get it down was by drinking water. Is there some trick to bolting without water, or does it take practice, or what? I too notice that when I eat meat that isn't thoroughly ground, chewed (no, I don't count the number of times I chew or anything like that and the claims that people should chew their food so many times never seemed natural to me--I only chew until I can swallow the meat) or fermented, some of it passes undigested. This could be due to my history of GI problems.

In addition to carnivores and bears, what other animals bolt their meat?
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 09:08:25 am »
Could one of the reasons that humans have less sharp teeth than other carnivores be because of our hands/nails? We can hold with our hands/nails and tear away the meat quite precisely with our two front-teeth, where as a cat may be limited in the amount it can tear because it's hard for it to use its' paws and have to rely on cutting with the sharp canines.
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

William

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:30 am »
Could one of the reasons that humans have less sharp teeth than other carnivores be because of our hands/nails? We can hold with our hands/nails and tear away the meat quite precisely with our two front-teeth, where as a cat may be limited in the amount it can tear because it's hard for it to use its' paws and have to rely on cutting with the sharp canines.

It's because paleoman always had a very sharp knife.

Offline roony

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 02:00:50 pm »
I tried bolting some meat, but had a similar experience to Nicola's. Without chewing it first, the only way I could get it down was by drinking water. Is there some trick to bolting without water, or does it take practice, or what? I too notice that when I eat meat that isn't thoroughly ground, chewed (no, I don't count the number of times I chew or anything like that and the claims that people should chew their food so many times never seemed natural to me--I only chew until I can swallow the meat) or fermented, some of it passes undigested. This could be due to my history of GI problems.

In addition to carnivores and bears, what other animals bolt their meat?

Cover it with raw cream or butter, if you want to bolt down food easily

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 03:19:40 pm »
I chew my meat some 10 chews before I swallow.
That feels good for me.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 06:37:32 am »
Mi na' eat cream or butter, but I'll try with tallow.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 10:57:53 am »
I chew my meat some 10 chews before I swallow.
That feels good for me.

I chew my raw GROUND beef. Seriously. I love to chew. I chew it to a paste. I am also a girl that LOVES hard fat on steaks and loves gristle!  ;D

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 11:41:01 am »
Oh man, I tried covering some beef with melted suet but it was too big to get down, even with water, so I made a smaller ball of just soft suet, but even with that it was too big and it was unpleasant going down and now it feels like it's still stuck in my throat. Very uncomfortable. I must have a narrow throat. I also feel like I have a brick in my stomach and am getting some mild reflux and belching after only 3 small balls. That ends tonight's experiment.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 11:54:14 am »
I am also a girl that LOVES hard fat on steaks and loves gristle!  ;D

Gristle I used to like, even though I didn't like the rest of the steak.  Even now, I get shoulders or roasts, but not the steaks.  Do raw steaks have gristle too?  What's it like raw?  If it's that stringy hard to chew up white stuff, I don't like it at this time.  Chewing on raw tendon has left me nĂ¡useas afterward.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 12:09:53 pm »
Oh man, I tried covering some beef with melted suet but it was too big to get down, even with water, so I made a smaller ball of just soft suet, but even with that it was too big and it was unpleasant going down and now it feels like it's still stuck in my throat.

I did the opposite, and rolled the tallow in thin partly dried ground beef, sort of like sushi. Went down easy.

If it had been marrow instead of tallow, and there were a dipping sauce acceptable to paleo rules this would make a good hors d'oeuvre for even those who loath raw meat. It hardly tastes raw.
The French are masters at this art (although their master chefs de cuisine seem to have German names); maybe a member will volunteer to create a sauce.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 12:29:23 pm »
... beef, sort of like sushi. Went down easy.

If it had been marrow instead of tallow, and there were a dipping sauce acceptable to paleo rules this would make a good hors d'oeuvre for even those who loath raw meat. It hardly tastes raw.
The French are masters at this art ... to create a sauce.

Blood?  Saltwater?  Pascalite clay?  Do you speak French?  Maybe you can translate a French chef raw'ish meat video, they're making all meat makirolls no rice nor veges. 

http://rawintoronto.ning.com/forum/topics/more-meat-foreign-maki
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 05:56:00 am »
~ in the us -- so i was told by a sales person at both a meat & a fish shops -- all meat for lawful retail sale is devoid of blood, oftentimes pre-frozen (by usda regulation, liver is always previously or currently frozen), & always thoroughly washed at least with chlorinated water (if not also with detergents or who knows what) >> is it high-meatable at all?
~ eventually i found apparently reliable scientific info which convinced me, at least for the time being, that meat fermentations are deleterious

I think I got some of that meat.  It didn't taste bad, but it looked like it had been briefly dipped in bleach.  It was thick, so I think it could still be made into high meat.  It was a very thin surface that was affected.  This is the second purchase and fourth piece of meat I've gotten like this.

I didn't chew much, but it did have some hard grizzle.

Offline Alan

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 02:12:03 pm »
your cat can't manipulate its food well with its paws?   you need to hang out with a better bred cat!

Offline Roselene

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
    • I like We Want 2 Live.
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 02:07:17 pm »
Aajonus also said, according to a PD friend of mine online, that chewing your raw meat helps clear and move lymph from your neck.

My friend seems to be correct, in my experience chewing and not chewing my raw meat throughout various times in these past years.

So if your pancreas, salivary glands or lymph system is the current top priority, I might choose whether to chew or not according to these factors.

Offline drugcleartest

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2020, 06:00:49 pm »
In the event that you've utilized pot yesterday, you will likely bomb the present spit medicate test.You can find out pretty much a wide range of stunts on the most proficient method to beat a salivation sedate test. From brushing your teeth like insane to smoking a cigarette, in any event, utilizing Listerine packs.
Homepage

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 03:20:26 am »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk