Author Topic: Book - Into the Wild  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Book - Into the Wild
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:41:08 am »
Has anyone read this?  I just finished, it's a really sad story!

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Book - Into the Wild
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 02:08:30 am »
I never read the book, but I saw the 2007 movie. I think it's an outstanding story, depicting the joy of freedom and triumph of struggle, which made the end of the story worthwhile. What if he died in his sleep at the age of 99, but never pursued his passion?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:23:06 am »
i didn't see the movie, but i remember the article in outside magazine bcz i used to get that one.  people wrote in that he was incompetent, ill-prepared and naive.  i finally read the book, and it turns out he was doing just fine, though he did not leave much room for error.  nutritionally, he literally had just enough to survive. according to the book, best speculation of what caused his death were seeds that he brought with him. they were not inherently poisonous, and he chose these particular seeds after extensive reading about edible plants before his journey.  but they grew a mold during the summer months that in his weakened state he could not eliminate.  very sad.  i'm not sure i'll watch the movie, the book made me teary-eyed twice  -\ 

he was not at all arrogant.  civilization simply stifled him.

Offline Predator

• Scavenger
  • Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:43:16 am »
This is one of my favorite movies.  The part that really touched me was the quote he left in his diary before he died: happiness in only real when shared.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 04:20:04 pm »
The movie is uplifting with really good cinematography and soundtrack.

The book was depressing. He wasn't thinking straight, he would of grown out of his idealistic phase and accepted the world as it is  in a few short years as you do and would still be alive. Woops spoiled it he dies in the end...
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »
Ioanna you will like the movie too. I both read the book and watched the movie and I think it is this rare instance of movie being not much worse than the book. Sad story, bad very inspiring person!

Offline The King of Currumpaw

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:47:29 am »
Animal banished from life, man's condition is tragic, for he no longer finds fulfillment in life's simple values. For animals, life is all there is; for man, life is a question mark. An irreversible question mark, for man has never found, nor will ever find, any answers. Life not only has no meaning; it can never have one.
— E.M. Cioran

Some dogs submit easily to the leash. Others remember they are wolves.

http://awolfintheheart.tumblr.com/

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 02:07:34 am »
I remember watching that movie, though I never read the book.  All I know is that ever since I went raw, I keep thinking that if only that guy had known what we know here, he could have eaten that moose and survived, rather than listening to that stupid hunter that told him once the flies come, the meat is ruined.  I would have just ate it anyways, and ate it raw.

Good movie, although I wish he hadn't died in the end like that, because then it only makes some people think well that's what he gets for trying to survive in the wild.  And that we shouldn't try to do those things, because it will ultimately lead to our death. 

But in fact, doing something like that has always been one of my dreams as well.  I've always wanted to run away to the forests and survive in the wild like an animal.. and ever since reading books about wolves in elementary school, it changed to running away to the forest and finding a pack of wolves to accept me, to join them and survive with them, lol.  Especially since I've now found this site and learned about eating raw, it seems all the more possible though. 
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35:39 am »
I've always wanted to run away to the forests and survive in the wild like an animal.. and ever since reading books about wolves in elementary school, it changed to running away to the forest and finding a pack of wolves to accept me, to join them and survive with them, lol.  Especially since I've now found this site and learned about eating raw, it seems all the more possible though. 

I like wolves.

Animal banished from life, man's condition is tragic, for he no longer finds fulfillment in life's simple values. For animals, life is all there is; for man, life is a question mark. An irreversible question mark, for man has never found, nor will ever find, any answers. Life not only has no meaning; it can never have one.
— E.M. Cioran

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 03:14:57 am »
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 05:35:18 pm »
Grrr. Woof woof.
— E.M. Cioran

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk