Author Topic: How do you eat suet?  (Read 7406 times)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
How do you eat suet?
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:33:13 am »
    I may have asked this before, but I'm really trying to eat suet again, and it's so strange to me.  How were you with suet when you first started eating it? It's so easy to eat unhealthy food, but when I try to eat suet so far, I have a pretty difficult time. How does it digest? I'm looking forward to suet stories. I figure this topic belongs in zero carb, as I think maybe more zero carbers eat suet than other raw paleo people do.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: How do you eat suet?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:42:43 am »
I buy only good quality suet from grassfed, pastured or wild animals that has little or none of the brown bits and excessive connective tissue that are in CAFO meat suet. For example, I had wild white tail deer suet once that was basically a solid hunk of pure white fat. With suet, my focus is less on what it tastes like than how it makes me feel after I eat it, which is great. Some goes through to the stool not fully digested, but since it makes me feel better than probably any other food I've tried, that doesn't bother me much, except that I also eat soft fats like marrow and egg yolks and other soft foods rather than just meat and suet, to reduce constipation.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline blimpie

• Egg Thief
  • Watch out! It's the evil military!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:38:31 am »
You know the best way I've heard to eat suet?

With a sander.  ;D
Some people would say I'm full of hot air.

"I find cooking wastes so much of my time, though." Geoff Purcell

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:26:07 am »
I've found a good source for grass fed, grass finished suet and eat it on occasion, although lately I've been eating mostly marrow.  When I eat suet, I often chop it into fine pieces and mix it in a small amount of raw honey to make it a little more palatable.  I also mix it in with raw meat sometimes, or mix it into raw meat and mix in a little raw honey too.

I've never seen it come out the other end undigested.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:57 am »
I've never seen it come out the other end undigested.
Thanks for that info, I suspected that my lifelong digestion issues were at fault.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
I am currently taking a bite out of a medium sized piece of suet right now.  It doesn't taste bad and the texture is fine.  Not much flavor at all really.  I get my suet from slankers and sometimes I cut it up and mix it with meat or sometimes I put a hunk of suet with my meat and I take bites off it throughout my meat meal.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Predator

• Scavenger
  • Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:37:44 am »
I get mine ground up so you don't notice the connective tissue you sometimes get.  I then just put it on my meats/organs or mix it with egg yolks.  It's also my favorite fat in terms of how it makes me feel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk