Author Topic: Ron Paul for President of the USA  (Read 228935 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Ron Paul for President of the USA
« Reply #600 on: February 10, 2012, 12:58:27 am »
RP has already expressed doubts that he would want to be VP to any of the others given their odious stances on almost every policy. Only if Romney were to give iron-clad massive compromises would RP ever stand as VP.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 10, 2012, 10:20:56 am »
RP would only be an effective VP to Romney if he clubbed Romney over the head and thus performed a coup d'etat, benefiting humanity greatly. None of the establishment politicians will choose Ron as VP, guaranteed. Ron is anathema to them. However, if one should surprise everyone and do so, it will be a masterstroke and their only chance for defeating Obama. Otherwise, Obama is assured victory bar some major catastrophe (especially if Romney is the Republican's chosen warrior, a candidate who is absolutely guaranteed to lose against Obama--the more people learn about him, the more they despise him), unless some dramatic catastrophe occurs before the general election.

Ron Paul and his enthusiastic youthful cohort is the greatest thing to happen to the Republican Party since Reagan. The fact that establishment Republicans don't get this only reveals the likelihood of their demise. It's looking like we'll have to wait at least one more election cycle before the decaying, gray-haired Grand Old Party of grumpy old men and women realizes this and stops ridiculing their only hope of salvation. It may require the passing of the older generation, a changing of the guard, which is odd because the older generation doesn't tend to be coke-addled, but for some reason they don't seem to realize that Ron Paul is reviving the ancient spirit of values, integrity, wisdom, tradition and simple common sense, which of course is uncommon. Bless Ron Paul for at least trying to wake up America.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:44:30 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 11, 2012, 04:39:02 am »
Historically, vice president has often held more sway than the president in my opinion. (dick cheney for example).
-----------

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 12, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »
Obama thinks he owns the future. Ron Paul begs to differ.
By: Daniel McCarthy, senior editor of The American Conservative
http://www.yaliberty.org/yar/the-battle-for-americas-youth

"Barack Obama won something bigger than the presidential election last November. By laying claim to the hopes as well as the votes of millions of young Americans, he also won the future. Just as Ronald Reagan’s 20-point victory in the 1984 youth vote presaged the Republican takeover of Congress a decade later, Obama’s success among young voters foretells a Democratic wave to come. If Republicans are to have any hope of turning back that tide, they must heed the man who excited more students and young people than any other candidate for the GOP nomination—Ron Paul."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:33:20 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 12, 2012, 11:42:05 pm »
Is there any books etc that have examined how the transition to a gold (or similar) standard would pan out or affect the world?

I haven't read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" (by G. Edward Griffin)  yet because it is such a tome, but I suspect the answer is there.

The Creature From Jekyll Island (by G. Edward Griffin)
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 13, 2012, 03:26:25 am »
If you want to see how well the blueprint works in action in limited form, check out Singapore, which has already put the plan partially into action. It's somewhat complicated; they back their currency with mostly a basket of foreign currencies from the nations they trade with, but also with some gold reserves and "other reserve assets," such as Asian bonds (Monetary Authority of Singapore, http://www.mas.gov.sg/data_room/reserves_statistics/Intl_Reserves_FC_Liquidity_Nov_2011.html).

It's apparently the only currency in the world that is not largely backed by little or nothing more than government promises, though a global economic collapse would still undercut their currency. Perhaps more importantly, instead of a central bank they have a currency board with limited powers (Currency Convertibility: A Self Blueprint for the Commonwealth of Independent States, by Steve H. Hanke and Kurt Schuler, http://www.cato.org/pubs/fpbriefs/fpb-017.html). Thus, it's reportedly more difficult in Singapore to "print money," than in the USA.

How well has it worked? Well, it's one of the most productive nations in the world, reportedly has one of the best healthcare systems, and...
Singapore had a current account surplus of about 14 percent of GDP in 1995, the highest in the world, and much of this was used to acquire reserves (which stood at some $67 billion in September 1995, for less than 3 million people) http://www.iie.com/publications/papers/paper.cfm?ResearchID=280
Singapore's current account surplus remains positive and their foreign reserves continue to "pile up."

Is it any wonder that Jim Rogers, an advocate of hard currency (and Ron Paul) moved there (it was Roger's move to Singapore that sparked my curiosity about their currency)?

It hasn't been a panacea, however. You might get the impression from Griffin that most or all income inequality comes from Central Banks with fully-fiat currencies, but Singapore has some of the highest income and wealth inequality in the world (Income Inequality in Singapore: Causes, Consequences and Policy Options http://www.mas.gov.sg/resource/eco_research/eco_education/Esss2007/uni_%201st_%20Ishita.pdf), and the percentage of people living in poverty there increased recently (Singapore's economic boom widens income gap, http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/11/09/us-singapore-economy-inequality-idUSSIN20069020071109).

It's looking to me like the first major step toward monetary reform is to replace the central bank with a national currency board, a la Singapore. There are also some other small nations with currency boards (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?123915-Abolishing-central-banks) It's not a panacea, but it does look like a good step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:45:43 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 13, 2012, 03:52:07 am »
Thanks Phil for the thoughtful post.

I was wondering more about the actual transition, as if RP became President tomorrow and did as SkinnyDevil proposed, completely changed the system re: government dramatically reduced, gold standard (or similar) reintroduced, military brought home, etc. before lunch and then had a nap in the afternoon....  ;D

The whole promissory note system of money would fall down like a house of cards, since the US owes such a ton of money to the world, things could be.... interesting, to say the least.

The system of funding endless wars would fold up, so money would be saved there, people would be put back to productive employment which would benefit all.

There would be massive unemployment, as those disgorged from government employment would have to re-enlist in the real world job market. Business would have to readjust to no more free money and Gov't contracts. People on public dole would be put on notice. It would be a financial tsunami.

Interesting times.
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 13, 2012, 09:15:57 am »
Yeah, the establishment won't allow rapid dramatic change and the people wouldn't put up with the shocks. So you make a few important changes, reap the benefits, get re-elected and make some more changes. In other words, Popperian tinkering undergirded with sound political philosophy.

One change that would be quite dramatic and perhaps not produce huge shocks is the Cato Institute's suggestion of converting the central bank into a currency board with much less power. That would lay the groundwork for additional monetary reform, such as gradually building up reserves to back the currency and in the process restoring confidence in the currency.

I would also recommend inviting leaders and analysts who have demonstrated success and knowledge about how to fix the problems, especially the global economic Ponzi scheme, bank failures to properly protect themselves from risk, fiat currencies, and runaway government spending and borrowing, to Washington to teach the politicians and the people in general, such as Lee Kuan Yew, Nassim Taleb, Nouriel Roubini, Jim Rogers, Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger, Peter Schiff (and if Ron Paul isn't elected, then Ron Paul--the most prophetic presidential candidate of my lifetime) and others--and actually putting some of their ideas into action, not just paying them lip service.

When what we're doing isn't working, it's time to look to others who have succeeded or have new creative ideas that might work, especially those who predicted the problems we have gotten ourselves into, not the ding dongs like Bernanke and Greenspan who didn't see it coming and claimed all was well. Heck, maybe even Newt Gingrich has some useful ideas--at least he tries to come up with ideas instead of just parroting what his handlers tell him like Romney.

As others have said, Ron Paul already achieved a great victory in this election. He moved the discussion away from the "six pack mom" nonsense of Sarah Palin and into balancing budgets, the soundness of our currency, foreign policy, and ending the status quo. Heck, some Americans have even learned what Austrian economics is! What a dramatic improvement over the usual nonsense in election campaigns. Thank you Ron Paul!

Ron Paul on the Economy and Foreign Policy – CNN – June 5th 2011
http://ronpaulflix.com/2011/06/ron-paul-on-the-economy-and-foreign-policy-cnn-june-5th-2011/#show-transcript

"I came into the Congress a good many years ago and my goal was to shrink the size of government, balance the budget, pay the bills, have sound money, and live within our means and mind our own business.....

(A)fter 30 or 40 years of having no restraint on spending and printing money, you don’t click a switch and correct that.  So yes, interest rates may go up.  But you want the market to work.  You don’t want central economic planning.  That’s our problem, because the central economic planners that get to fix the interest rates also monetize all the debt.  So people need to realize that if we’re serious about this, interest rates may go up, but maybe we’ll go back to work too.

(O)ne thing is that’s very encouraging is, I see a fantastic movement at the grassroots.  You hear from supporters that the whole country is moving.  The attitude toward the endless, undeclared, silly wars that we fight that are bankrupting us.  The silliness of the Federal Reserve printing money when we need so-called wealth.  The deficits that are uncontrolled.  So mainstream is now thinking about these things.  Before, mainstream was deficits don’t matter, print money when you need it, endless wars, and personal privacy didn’t mean anything.  But believe me: mainstream is moving in the direction that I have been talking about for a long time, and therefore no one knows what the outcome will be in this election.

During the last campaign, I knew what was happening.  You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy.  No more!  No more!  The people are coming over here.  So I would say whatever happens, it’s going to be good because the people have woke up. .... They’re sick of the status quo!"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:24:53 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27:19 am »
I am currently ploughing my way through "Black Swan" audiobook Nassim Taleb. It's a toughie. You have to pay attention. Tried to listen to "Fooled by Randomness" and almost finished but had to rest.

Good listen though.

I think it was you who suggested NT
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:09 am »
I am currently ploughing my way through "Black Swan" audiobook Nassim Taleb. It's a toughie.  You have to pay attention.
Yes, he made it that way intentionally, mixing it up. I think the idea was in part to make people pay attention and really think.

I think it was you who suggested NT
Quite possible. One thing that tipped me off that NNT was really on to something was, when I checked out his critics' responses, I found that they completely focused on personal attacks on NNT and didn't even try to refute his major points. Still no one has succeeded in doing so. They typically complain about his arrogance, lack of deference to academics, and so forth. Plus, first they said that his points were ridiculous (without refuting them), then they started saying that they were obvious and everyone already knew them (a clear clue that someone is right and is hitting the big points).

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:43 am »
I have serious doubts about how any significant monetary reform could be established within the framework of our current system through incremental changes.

There seems to be a force behind mammon that is outside of the reach of law makers to control. If the people of the U.S. take on the monetary crisis alone, it will be attacked on all sides by our former currency allies. The force will regroup off shore and proceed to devise new strategic schemes to continue the plundering of the people of the world.

There are people like  Lyndon Larouche who believe that reenacting glass  steagall, and putting back the safeguard measures that had been taken away by special interest' would be the place to start. Without these basic reforms no other policy will be effective. As long as the financial piracy continues unpunished faith in the system will continue to die.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 13, 2012, 10:22:50 am »
I am still in the middle of both books, so he seems to building up the data for a big bang hopefully.

He does seem to take some pretty big slices out of people he dislikes and I get there are a lot of people he dislikes. He's probably not a wildly popular guy on the cocktail party circuit. LOL
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:19 am »
reenacting glass  steagall, and putting back the safeguard measures that had been taken away by special interest' would be the place to start.
Excellent suggestion. I agree that that's another good place to start. It would be an even less dramatic change--just a roll back to where things were not long ago--and it's also something I support.

He does seem to take some pretty big slices out of people he dislikes and I get there are a lot of people he dislikes. He's probably not a wildly popular guy on the cocktail party circuit. LOL
Exactly, LOL. Some people cannot stand him and it's not my preferred style, but he treats little people, including me, with respect, he somehow pulls off his arrogant and insulting moments by balancing them with a loveable curmudgeon sort of personality, he saves his insults for the people who are both arrogant, close minded and destructive, and he's generally on target with his main points, so he gets a pass from me.  Plus, it's actually a good sign for a prophet to be hated intensely by elites. Ron Paul is another good example. They tend to be hated in large measure because they're right most of the time and tell us truths we don't want to hear.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:35:01 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 13, 2012, 10:37:53 am »
He reminds me of a close friend of mine who I like very much, but who is sick as a dog right now. Unfortunately raw paleo ain't gonna happen with him.

He used to be attacked by his detractors in his younger years.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #615 on: February 14, 2012, 03:05:55 am »
George Soros can hardly be seen as anything but a crook. This odious man demolished the British currency in the 90s and helped usher in our current crisis indirectly through extensive hedge-fund manipulations etc. I loved it when he fouled up in Russia and especially in Hong Kong. The latter government was the only one which had the backbone to draw upon their reserves and shore up their currency in defiance of his attacks, resulting in really huge losses for Soros.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 14, 2012, 08:14:58 am »
Soros did make this interesting quote:

"If it's between Obama and Romney there isn't all that much difference...except for the crowd that they bring with them."

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:21 am »
"The Only Candidate I Trust is Ron Paul" -Nassim N. Taleb,
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150522482998375&id=13012333374

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:23 am »
Nassim has many agreeable points of view. I liked the theme of the black swan, and his ideas of how the improbability of events in the world leaves little to be certain about.

He considers much of the future to be extremely variable and the outcomes so innumerable that the average fool can be just as valid a prophet as the erudites of academia. A very universally agreeable concept among commoners. 

My interpretation of the "impact of the highly improbable" was perhaps a bit warped, by me having read it right after watching the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. So every time Taleb would talk about improbability, I would conjure up the image of the intergalactic  hitchhikers thumbing a ride through space and how the Infinite improbability drive guided their journey.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Infinite%20Improbability%20Drive
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:55:51 pm by TylerDurden »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 15, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »
Nassim Taleb seems to have huge ego but the fact is that "Fooled by randomness"is one of the best books I ever read. Highly recommended.
I am very glad he supports Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:03 am »
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:09 am »
Only Ron Paul will do that. Indeed he wants it down to 0%.

Seems as if some know how to play the game well enough to accomplish that with government help:

http://www.realecontv.com/videos/social-costs/the-war-on-wages-part-3.html
Cheers
Al

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:24 am »
One of the rats is fleeing Romney's sinking ship:
Romney backer DeWine switches to Santorum
USA TODAY - ?8 minutes ago?
By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/02/rick-santorum-mike-dewine-endorsement-mitt-romney-/1?csp=34news

Former Ohio senator Mike DeWine switched his support to Rick Santorum today, saying he could no longer back Mitt Romney because of his "astounding inability" to give people a reason to vote for him.
Watch for Romney and his henchmen to get nasty and try to destroy Santorum like they did the other candidates. Romney and his lieutenants are a wrecking crew, ripping the Republican party to shreds. The Democrats have been gleeful about it. It makes me wonder if Romney is an Obama plant. I'm surprised the rank and file haven't responded with more outrage and disgust, though the grumblings definitely are increasing.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Republican Election in MAINE total FRAUD Exposed in MSM
« Reply #623 on: February 18, 2012, 08:48:51 am »
USA Republican elections show it is now a banana republic. UN observers should be sent in to observe USA electoral fraud. Now exposed wholesale.

Maddow: Proof Ron Paul Was Robbed In Maine.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #624 on: February 18, 2012, 09:12:48 am »
Being a gay liberal, it's no wonder she's attacking the Republicans. But the Democrats have also been notorious for voter-fraud over the centuries. Chicago and New York have a particularly notorious history, but voter-fraud has always been endemic in American life(and everywhere else for that matter).

This is why I am no fan of democracy. As Stalin said," it's not the voters  who have the power, but those who count the votes". I would far rather either be ruled by a benevolent, "enlightened despot" like the old King of Bhutan was, or, even better, be part of a dog-eat-dog/chaos-type social anarchy where individuals'  rights count but where groups/organisations have no power or authority to deny the freedoms of individuals(not leftwing anarchy which is really just a benevolent form of Communism, not genuine anarchy).
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk