Author Topic: Meat Storage: The Zeer or Pot-in-pot Refrigeration  (Read 2355 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Meat Storage: The Zeer or Pot-in-pot Refrigeration
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:56:47 am »
Check out the zeer:

(Skip ahead to 42 seconds in to get to the nitty-gritty)
Flower Pot Fridge!

Through evaporation a temperature of near 40 degrees Fahrenheit can be reached to preserve foods. 

According to this Wikipedia article in a zeer meat can be stored for up to two weeks--all without electricity! Amazing!

I'm going to butcher a goat tomorrow and was concerned that it is not cool enough yet to store the meat in a shed. I'll experiment with a zeer and let everyone know how it works. I intend to use a non-porous inner pot (glazed ceramic) and a porous outer container (most likely unglazed ceramic).

Here is another quick description of a zeer.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:02:08 am by zeno »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: Meat Storage: The Zeer or Pot-in-pot Refrigeration
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:35:06 am »
    Forties at ninety?  That's amazing.  When I didn't have a fridge in the hot tropics I used to keep foods in clay bowls with a little water on the floor.  The food stayed good days longer this way, when normally such temperatures would make the same foods go bad in one day.  I wish I knew to put pot in pot with sand and towel.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk