Author Topic: Honey makes my throat raw  (Read 8088 times)

Offline Waldpfad

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Honey makes my throat raw
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:19:46 am »
So I've read that raw honey on a comb is supposed to be a healthy addition to a primal/paleo diet.
I'm not a big fan of honey and never have been but went ahead and bought my very first raw honey on a comb. The first batch was absolutely addictive, very awesome in taste, kinda bitter sweet and dark. Forward 5 days...the second however was so sweet I could barely keep it in my mouth. The 'wax' part turned into a hard candy and I had to spit it out. I gave half of this to my dog (he had a 2 foot long drool dangling off his lip watching me) because it was too sweet for me. It also gave me a raw, sore throat...wth was that all about?

Anyways, I think I'm done with honey once again in my life. Other than being hopped up on sugar I didn't really notice any benefits. As a kid the only honey I ever consumed came from forest/tree blossoms. American honey (even if raw) seems to mostly come from alfalfa or onion fields? Just awful in taste.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 04:35:15 am by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Honey makes my throat raw
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:42:36 am »
Heather honeycomb tastes the best, imo.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 09:46:52 am »
Did you like the honey that you ate as a kid from forest/tree blossoms and what effects did it have on you? My local market sells allegedly "unheated" honeys from wild tree blossoms and at least one of them is sold via the Internet (http://www.heavenlyorganics.com/productsho/honey_forest.aspx) , but I find that fermented honey benefits me more.

When I was a kid, my mother suggested I try (heated) honey for a sore throat. Instead of helping, it made my throat scratchier, so I was puzzled why it had a reputation for soothing the throat. Then finally in recent months I tried fermented raw honey and it did provide some benefits (whether they offset whatever negatives there are, I don't know, but it seems like a net positive so far). So it may be a matter of finding the right honey for you, I don't know. :shrug:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:54:04 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Waldpfad

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 04:27:38 am »
Hey Phil,

thanks for the link on that honey, I am going to check my local health food store next time I go there. Forest honey is less sweet and slightly bitter to some taste buds, but in a good way. The best honey I've had in my life was coming from pine forests, that was back in the early 80's in Germany. Sadly, they moved everything down and replanted fast growing leaf trees. Most of the Black Forest is gone, the needle trees (german: Tanne, Fichte und Kiefer, etc) have been replaced with leaf trees (german: Birke, Buche, etc).
It seems really difficult these days to get true forest honey.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:33:26 am by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk