Author Topic: Uni Film Project: Palaeo Diet Direction?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Uni Film Project: Palaeo Diet Direction?
« on: November 04, 2011, 04:41:30 am »
Hey all,

I am reading anthropology at university, and have been set the task of creating a short film to be completed before xmas: a group project along with two other students. So obviously any direction that I might want to take the film in has to be passed by them as well. Essentially it's going to be a short piece (in the order of minutes), and pretty limited in it's scope considering the time frame.

I have a list of topics, all of which are all very broad, on which to base the film. There are two, one in particular, that just scream make a film about food and specifically Palaeo diet. One title is “Stone Age Diet,” the other is “We are what we eat.”

I am posting really just to see if I might gather up any flashes of inspiration or great ideas any of you might have. Obviously either title is incredibly broad, so the film needs to be given some kind of direction. I have two initial outlines on how to approach it so far:

One would be along the lines of a short interview about my diet, and some sort of 'demonstration.' Something toward the sensationalist side of things might make good film, like eating raw beef heart – nice and big and bloody. Then perhaps filming peoples reactions and responses, and through that, explore the taboo nature of eating raw meat in our culture in some way.

If that works out too one sided, i.e. based around 'me' and my diet for my fellow group members to take (although the intention in the first idea is not to make a film about me, but use that as a platform for exploring some aspect of the diet itself) then an alternative could be to explore the theme of 'we are what you eat.' We could potentially document in some way the diet of each of us, and look into whether we agree (or not) that we are what we eat.   

These are some initial thoughts. I would greatly appreciate input of any kind any of you might like to contribute!

Isthmus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Uni Film Project: Palaeo Diet Direction?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:51:33 am »
I would definitely do the “Stone Age Diet" topic. All else is wimpery in comparison. Anthropologists who study hunter-gatherers seem to be the most reliable source of good information about diet among all the academics, physicians, government authorities and other "experts." One thing I tell people is to pay more attention to what foods anthropologists who study traditional peoples recommend than nutritionists. Those anthropologists see first-hand the amazing benefits of traditional diets. Can you share the name of the professor who suggested "Stone Age Diet" as a topic? Hat tip to him/her.

I don't know about your co-students, but my own preference would be to learn as much about hunter-gatherer and other traditional (aka "real") peoples like the Zhu/wasi (!Kung), Hadza, Inuit, Nenets, Evenk, Ache, Australian Aborigines, Chukchi, Samburu, etc. as I could. I have learned so much more of value from them than I have from any academics and most moderners.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »
Bear in mind that what modern HGs do these days is no reflection of what palaeo HGs did tens of thousands of years ago. Some scientists do provide useful data re palaeo evidence such as this page:-

http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/angel-1984/angel-1984-1a.shtml
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:40:18 pm »
Ah the usual hyperbole. No reflection is a tad strong, but yeah, check out the info on the Stone Age evidence too, though you probably won't thrill people with too much of that in a video.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:32:50 pm »
Thanks for that link Tyler, it was interesting.

Gathering information on extant hunter gatherers will be a good idea, and incorporating some information on their raw diet practices. I know the inuit still have a solid culture in consuming raw animal products.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:06:09 pm by TylerDurden »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk