Author Topic: fat alternatives  (Read 7349 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
fat alternatives
« on: November 24, 2011, 03:33:57 am »
Eeryone is really busy this thanksgiving and I won't be able to get my hands on some fat till next week. What should I replace it with in the meanwhile if anything? I've been eating some raw cheese so far to replace but wondering what others thoughts are. Coconut oil? Avocadoes?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:43:44 am by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: fat alternatives
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 03:39:32 am »
Make sure the cheese and coconut oil are truly raw.  Most hard cheeses, even if made with raw milk, are still cooked during the pressing process.  Virgin coconut oil is fairly straightforward to find, though, there are quite a few brands out there.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 03:48:40 am »
Most coconut oils are not really raw even if labeled as such so best to contact the company.

Avocados that are not irradiated are your best bet in the interim. If you can find a local asian market, they usually carry young coconuts. These should be full of good fats and the water can be drunk in small quantities too. Plus it's a whole food instead of a fractured and processed food like oils and butters.

Raw eggs are a good source of fats too, but truly quality eggs are difficult to come by in a lot of places. Good luck and happy thanksgibbling!

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 04:15:46 am »
If you can find a local asian market, they usually carry young coconuts. These should be full of good fats and the water can be drunk in small quantities too.

Why small quantities?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:21:52 am »
    Why small quantities?
laxative
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:25:10 am »
Wouldnt the stuff in the asian markets most likely not be grown organically?
-----------

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 01:55:33 am »
organic butter? ghee? most health food stores carry these, perhaps you have a close/local heath food store or coop?

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 03:30:26 am »
organic butter? ghee? most health food stores carry these, perhaps you have a close/local heath food store or coop?

Sure but these aren't likely to be raw. I've never seen raw butter in a health food store personally.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 06:56:25 am »
Sure but these aren't likely to be raw. I've never seen raw butter in a health food store personally.

I think some states allow it, like California.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:15:18 am »
Eeryone is really busy this thanksgiving and I won't be able to get my hands on some fat till next week. What should I replace it with in the meanwhile if anything? I've been eating some raw cheese so far to replace but wondering what others thoughts are. Coconut oil? Avocadoes?

Raw eggs are easy to acquire.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:22:20 am »
I think some states allow it, like California.
Yeah, it is legal here but sells out quick!

CitrusHigh

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:38:07 am »
I don't personally worry about any laxative effect with coconut water but sugar is my personal bane and so I tend to limit it even if from a good source like coconut.

I will sometimes drink the whole thing in one sitting, but I try to avoid such large quantities of easily absorptive sugar.  If you are going to drink all the water in one sitting, eat plenty of fat and/or fiber to slow it down.

If you're after eggs, farmer's markets are your best shot, no co-op here in minnesota that I know of sells worthwhile eggs.

As for not being organic. Yep, that's probably right, but they sell the same brand of coconuts in our co-op that they do in the asian markets, at a 300% markup! Also I doubt lots of chemicals are used in the actual cultivation but they may dip or spray the coconuts in something before shipping to keep mold from growing on them.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 03:12:41 pm »
If you are going to drink all the water in one sitting, eat plenty of fat and/or fiber to slow it down.
That's easy just eat the rest of the coconut...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:59:38 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 04:13:24 pm »
laxative

Maybe I'm one in a zillion, but in the tropics I could drink coconut water like there's no tomorrow, as long as I got them fresh off the tree and chopped them open etc. I averaged about seven large young coconut waters per day, I got about 24 ounces each.  I never got loose stool.  Of course I didn't get loose stools from 30,000 mg/day vitamin C either.  Ripe fruitarianism constipated me, green smoothie I can't even drink a small one without getting incredible constipation and it doesn't matter how many gallons of water I drink. The only things really laxative to me so far are raw butter, green juice, raw egg and highmeat, even then not out of control.  Some glands are too laxative to me. Chickweed has been laxative to me.  Senna just give gas, and all that C too.  Soaked prunes just made me sick but yes loosened stuff. 

I don't think even if coconut water was laxative to you that it would be a problem with raw paleo, as this diet assists the body to do what it wants which is to keep the intestines clean and functioning well.

Maybe you could ferment the coconut water, less sugar then.   
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »
Make sure the cheese and coconut oil are truly raw.  Most hard cheeses, even if made with raw milk, are still cooked during the pressing process.  Virgin coconut oil is fairly straightforward to find, though, there are quite a few brands out there.

I've heard that about cheese- how do you find out if it's truly raw? I've been eating little bits of "raw" cheese pretty regularly.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

CitrusHigh

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 12:04:44 am »
HitItRaw, yep, fortunately nature tends to include fiber and/or fat with sugar when she offers it.

Rawzi, same, haven't noticed any laxative effects but I'll pay more attention from now on.

balancing-act, you will have to contact the company or purchase straight from the farm. If you contact the company. Don't pose your questions as if heating is a bad thing, they may be more prone to lie to you. But you do have to ask very detailed questions to get accurate and effective answers. Because there is no good legal definition for raw cheese, they can call anything that hasn't been legally pasteurized, 'raw'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk