Author Topic: tanning bed VS fermented cod liver oil VS vit. D3 supplement??  (Read 7881 times)

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
tanning bed VS fermented cod liver oil VS vit. D3 supplement??
« on: December 25, 2011, 06:46:43 am »
As far as I know, these are the 3 options for me, for getting vitamin D during the winter.

I can go to a tanning salon and use one of the "medium pressure" beds (I think closer to the sun's UV ratio--at least compared to the "high pressure" beds) once a week or so, for about 12 min, but I don't know how safe this is regarding EMF's and how accurate the ratio is.

I can take raw, fermented CLO, but I think I need to take a lot to get enough D, correct?  Not sure how much?

I could take a vitamin D3 softgel supplement, but that is unfortuently synthetic and I don't think synthetic supplements have all the important components the natural substance would have.

I've been kind of going between the first two...just not sure which is best!! :-(  Obviously natural sunbathing in the sun is best, but not an option for a large portion of the year here.  I have multiple sclerosis and am focusing on healing from this, so although I know my ancestors here probably were just slightly deficient during winter, that's probably not a good option for me. 

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: tanning bed VS fermented cod liver oil VS vit. D3 supplement??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 11:10:37 am »
I use the vitamin D softgels, although I've been considering using the tanning beds as well.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 12:27:37 pm »
How do you feel about the whole synthetic vitamin thing?  I'm just kind of leery of any supplements like that, and hate to take them if I don't have to.  But I will admit they appear to do good, and sometimes might be necesarry. 
Its just such a hard choice!!!

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:04:43 am »
I recommend trying a medium pressure tanning bed twice a week for at least 6 weeks. I can almost bet my last dollar you will notice benefits far greater than if taking supplemental vitamin D.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:12:32 am »
How do you feel about the whole synthetic vitamin thing?  I'm just kind of leery of any supplements like that, and hate to take them if I don't have to.  But I will admit they appear to do good, and sometimes might be necesarry. 

My understanding is that the vitamin D in the softgels is just sheep lanolin that has been exposed to UV light. That's not excessively unnatural, in my view.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 12:22:39 pm »
How do you think they separate the lanolin from the wool? On an artisinal level it is probably a gentle process, however on an industrial level?...

"The purified, wax-like substance from the wool of sheep, Ovis aries Linné (Fam. Bovidae), that has been cleaned, decolorized and deodorized. Not to be used undiluted. 18kg poly container."

This is from the web, searching for lab grade lanolin in bulk. This is what is probably being used supplements. The deodorizing is the term to pay attention to. Usually that means harsh heat/chemical processing.

FCLO is your best bet as it is a raw, enzyme enhanced food, not a industrial product. The tanning bed might be a good idea, but you should be aware of the inherent risks with regular use.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »
Urgh...that industrial lanolin sounds nasty :-S  I guess not something I want to be ingesting LOL!
I think I'm going to keep with smaller doses of FCLO, and also the tanning once or twice a week, and see how that works.  Thanks all!! :-)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »
I have been tanning one to two times a week for twenty to twenty five minutes in a medium pressure bed and have had good results. After the first few sessions I built up enough melanin that I don't burn or get red afterward.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 11:31:10 am »

I think I'm going to keep with smaller doses of FCLO

Which might work well, as long as you don't overdose on Vitamin A to get enough vitamin D.

I have to have LARGE amounts of vitamin D, and eating that much cod liver oil would give me vitamin A toxicity quickly.  I know, I've tried it.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:18:25 pm »
What brand were you taking cherimoya?

Offline rawfooderess

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 11:23:25 pm »
Interesting thread.
I am wary of supplements but animal source supplements like Cod Liver Oil or plant based supplements like farm raised ( free of contaminents) Spirulina are my first choice.

It seems more natural to take Cod Liver oil than to down some D3 supplements in my opinion.

Maybe I am wrong but a natural healing doctor was on the net speaking about how an animal source supplement is superior to just taking Vitamin D3 or A seperately.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:34:05 pm by cherimoya_kid »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:07 am »
Sunlight on the bare skin is the optimal way to insure healthy vitamin D levels.

Eating raw cod livers would be the most optimal way to supplement vitamin D.

Processed varieties of cod liver oil are often of questionable quality.

Many brands also contain added preservatives, I am wary of what is often labeled Mixed Tocopherols, on most commercial brands.

What are the opinions of the group regarding the use artificial vitamin E  as a preservative. I sometimes give my children store bought cod liver oil that contains it..

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:43:46 am »

I'd think after it was metabolized by the body into its active hormone state, that hormone then has the same level of triggering effect that its natural counterpart would. As long as the cells can bind to and read both the hormones' signal in the same way, it goes off and does its merry thing creating all sorts of good proteins and such like its supposed to.

I see D as more of a medium than a building block. It causes other things to create the building blocks. Is it not better to have that medium, synthetic as it is, that allows transmission of the same signal, then to not have one there at all?

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 10:48:27 am »

What are the opinions of the group regarding the use artificial vitamin E  as a preservative. I sometimes give my children store bought cod liver oil that contains it..

I don't trust high levels of E. Studies I read last year seemed to show a huge increase in cancer risk from high levels.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:08 am »
I don't trust high levels of E. Studies I read last year seemed to show a huge increase in cancer risk from high levels.

Yeah, I heard about a study on NPR that showed a clear rise in all-cause mortality from supplementing E.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:40:14 am »
There is so much misinformation about vitamin E supplementation, and its still difficult to get unbiased info. There was a big movement in the mainstream to promote high dose E supplementation a few years ago, but based on the new evidence I think most of those claims need to be scaled back considerably.

I have a theory that preservatives (even so called "natural"Mixed Tocopherols) which prevent the growth of bacteria and inhibit oxidation, could also in someway inhibit the bio availability of the nutrients contained in the supplement and may cause yet undiscovered disruptions in the biological processes.

Perhaps the small amounts of preservative used in cod liver oil is not enough to cause cancer, but it could in some small way negate some of the health benefits of cod liver oil.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:48:40 am by sabertooth »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk