Author Topic: Anti nutrients in vegetables and seeds?  (Read 14652 times)

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Anti nutrients in vegetables and seeds?
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:18:42 pm »
I have read about anti-nutrients in vegetables, but also in fruit. It seems that they are in almost every fruit and vegetable. The flavonoids in them should also be an anti nutrient. I eat eggs, fish and meat every day, but I do also eat approximately 700 grams of fruit and vegetables every day. Many different types of course, but nearly always tomatoes, spinach or broccoli, and that should be bad, but also contains a lot of vitamin k. Do you think it's a problem? I have always believed that fruits and vegetables are healthy, but are they?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:05:58 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Anti nutrients in vegetables and seeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »
Raw fruit contains negligible amounts of anti-nutrients. Raw vegetables differ in their anti-nutrient content. The basic rule is that if the raw vegetable is  bitter in taste, it has too high an antinutrient level, so should not be eaten. So, IMO, raw broccoli and raw spinach are  to be avoided.

As a result, most rawpalaeodieters happily eat raw fruits but often limit their intake of raw vegetables. My own preference, based on digestion/antinutrient levels etc., is to eat raw seaweed/carrots/radishes/garlic bulbs, which I occasionally eat throughout the year. I avoid veggies like kale and broccoli like the plague.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:09:12 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:39:45 pm »
Thanks for the answer. Do you know if there is too many antinutrients in red pepper and tomatoes? I know they aren't vegetables but fruits. And what about barley grass powder? I take that as a supplement.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:09:27 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »
I would say, ditch the supplement. Processed supplements are usually quite useless and often very harmful. Besides, barley grass is hardly evolutionarily appropriate for our bodies.

As for red pepper and tomatoes, they are fine as regards antinutrients. That said, one should always rely on raw animal foods as a mainstay of one's diet and limit, to some extent, raw plant foods as the latter do not provide too much nutrition.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:18 pm »
Ok. I agree that raw animal foods are the most important. Do you know about pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and nuts? Do they contain anti nutrients, and are seeds and nuts absorbable at all?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:51:30 pm »
Ok. I agree that raw animal foods are the most important. Do you know about pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and nuts? Do they contain anti nutrients, and are seeds and nuts absorbable at all?
  One is supposed to soak the nuts in water for 24 hours beforehand to reduce the levels of antinutrients. As regards seeds, the only decent seeds are ones which sprout, as sprouting also reduces the antinutrient levels. The only exception would be raw pumpkin seeds which those who over-consume raw dairy should always eat as well, as the former have a very high level of magnesium(and low calcium) to counteract the potential magnesium-depletion of raw dairy.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:41:48 am »
    It seems to me more raw foodists have problems with nuts than with seeds like pumpkin and sunflower.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:32:11 am »
I am not sure how true this is, but I read an interesting book on diet from doctor gundry. He claims that vegetables are good for you because they are bad for you. The plants do not want us to eat their veggies because it can hinder the plants survival, but they want us to eat the fruits. I don't know what to believe...

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 05:02:35 am »
Thanks for the answer. Do you know if there is too many antinutrients in red pepper and tomatoes? I know they aren't vegetables but fruits. And what about barley grass powder? I take that as a supplement.

Tomatoes are nightshades. They contain glycoalkaloids, as well as lectins. I personally avoid them. The riper and larger the type of tomato the less glycoalkaloids in them though. Ripe roma tomatoes for example contain 0.4 mg of alpha tomatine per kg, whereas unripe, small immature green tomatoes contain 548 mg/kg.
Tomato lectin can cause a leaky gut and is known to cross the gut barrier and get  into the blood stream fully intact. This could cause or worsen autoimmune diseases.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 05:17:41 am »
I am not sure how true this is, but I read an interesting book on diet from doctor gundry. He claims that vegetables are good for you because they are bad for you. The plants do not want us to eat their veggies because it can hinder the plants survival, but they want us to eat the fruits. I don't know what to believe...

This is something I've been thinking about recently. It seems like fruits are supposed to be edible, sweet taste, appeals greatly to other animals and primates.

Also, I don't expect this to hold much weight, but I see the bible as a good teaching tool, and in the garden God commanded Adam and Eve to eat all "fruit bearing seed" and he says nothing about plants, green matter, seedless fruits, or any other variation. I think there's at least a slight indication from Hebrew culture a few thousand years ago that fruit is beneficial. Oddly enough, after the flood is when God provides the commands to start eating meat, which is supposed to be far similar to our current world, according to Hebrew perspective.

All that to say, a diet should be meat based, with seasonal fruit on occasion, IMO.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 05:30:52 am »
This is something I've been thinking about recently. It seems like fruits are supposed to be edible, sweet taste, appeals greatly to other animals and primates.

Also, I don't expect this to hold much weight, but I see the bible as a good teaching tool, and in the garden God commanded Adam and Eve to eat all "fruit bearing seed" and he says nothing about plants, green matter, seedless fruits, or any other variation. I think there's at least a slight indication from Hebrew culture a few thousand years ago that fruit is beneficial. Oddly enough, after the flood is when God provides the commands to start eating meat, which is supposed to be far similar to our current world, according to Hebrew perspective.

All that to say, a diet should be meat based, with seasonal fruit on occasion, IMO.

What I don't understand though is how did early humans hunt down other animals (I am sure there was a time when humans had no tools)? Or did they scavenge for leftovers?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:58:04 am »
What I don't understand though is how did early humans hunt down other animals (I am sure there was a time when humans had no tools)? Or did they scavenge for leftovers?

Even chimps nowadays have some tools.....
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 06:31:27 am »
From an evolutionary perspective, the reasons humans are the way they are (smarter, less athletic than other animals) is because they started using tools. The best tool users could hunt the most and therefore thrive and pass on his skills.

from my personal perspective, we simply outsmarted our food. I live in the country, and it doesn't take much patience, maybe an hour or two, to wait out a bird or reptile that is easy to catch with my own hands. I also believe that early humans had a connection to dogs that earned their trust and demanded their respect as alpha, and they worked together to hunt, sharing the bounty.

just the other day I was walking my dog and we stumbled upon two adolescent mag pies, learning how to fly. Surely if I had the dedication to pursue chasing one out into the field, my dog and I could've captured him and my dog is so loyal we would share it. I had other things to do that day so I called him off and we went home.

Now you may argue he's a domestic dog and early dogs wouldn't be that trained or early man couldnt communicate to the dog that clearly, But I contend that the reason dogs became domesticated was for mutual benefit of survival, not just companionship. Wolves have the herding instinct, surrounding bison and taking them down. Humans have almost always had communication, even if just slightly verbal or even kinetic, which dogs understand best.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:46 am »
Renamed "Anti nutrients in vegetables and fruit?" to "Anti nutrients in vegetables and SEEDS?"

Have to keep our forum correct on first impression from newbies...
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 08:54:39 am »
Renamed "Anti nutrients in vegetables and fruit?" to "Anti nutrients in vegetables and SEEDS?"

Have to keep our forum correct on first impression from newbies...

so no anti nutrients in fruit?
-Dustin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:11:44 am »
so no anti nutrients in fruit?

In general, most fruits fit for consumption are freely given up by the tree or bush for the animals to consume and propagate.

What some people are talking about here are actually harm from seeds and of course fruit that has been tampered with by factory farming methods.  There are fruits that are inappropriate for eating.  Just as there are animals that are inappropriate for eating.

Putting up a thread entitled Anti-Nutrients in Animal Food would sound as odd as Anti-Nutrients in Fruit.  Of course there are animals we warn about people not to eat... some animals are not supposed to be eaten.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:50 am »
In general, most fruits fit for consumption are freely given up by the tree or bush for the animals to consume and propagate.

What some people are talking about here are actually harm from seeds and of course fruit that has been tampered with by factory farming methods.  There are fruits that are inappropriate for eating.  Just as there are animals that are inappropriate for eating.

Putting up a thread entitled Anti-Nutrients in Animal Food would sound as odd as Anti-Nutrients in Fruit.  Of course there are animals we warn about people not to eat... some animals are not supposed to be eaten.

I don't know... it feels like the trees have fruits as a means to protect the leaves. After all, sugar is very addicting..

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 10:27:46 am »
I don't know... it feels like the trees have fruits as a means to protect the leaves. After all, sugar is very addicting..

Fruits are limited in nature and desire.
Addiction to sugar is damage from a SAD diet.
These days I can detect when I want raw fruit and when I want raw starch and when I want raw meat and when I want some greens.
And when comfy with the amount of raw fat you eat, you don't really look for that much "sugar"
Some people who are addicted to sugar have candida overgrowth.
Look into virgin coconut oil detox to get rid of candida in 3 days. (if you are not allergic to vco)
VCO detox is a temporary 100% raw fat diet with zero carbs.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:22 am »
Does it matter if the vco is heated? Not for long term obviously but just for the detox. I may have Candida as I am finding fruits and honey and chocolate enticing.
-Dustin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:16 am »
Enticing is a-ok in moderation.  For example, during rambutan season I can perhaps finish 1/4 kilo of rambutan at the most.  But my wife would eat 1 kilo by herself... that doesn't seem right.  She and the kids would eat rambutan every day.

Yes it matters if the fat is heated.
Raw fat is truly the best.
You need to buy RAW virgin coconut oil. (not heated)
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols-and-treatments/stomach-healing-intestinal-cleansing-yeast-elimination/virgin-coconut-oil-detox/

My experience and other's experience is you lose the addiction to sugary sweet stuff.  My father in law didn't want to do it as he said that would deprive him of a pleasure to eat chocolates.

Hey, I can eat chocolate at times for socializing, but it is not some "special" food you crave and gorge on.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:57:39 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 12:38:05 pm »
Enticing is a-ok in moderation.  For example, during rambutan season I can perhaps finish 1/4 kilo of rambutan at the most.  But my wife would eat 1 kilo by herself... that doesn't seem right.  She and the kids would eat rambutan every day.

Yes it matters if the fat is heated.
Raw fat is truly the best.
You need to buy RAW virgin coconut oil. (not heated)
http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols-and-treatments/stomach-healing-intestinal-cleansing-yeast-elimination/virgin-coconut-oil-detox/

My experience and other's experience is you lose the addiction to sugary sweet stuff.  My father in law didn't want to do it as he said that would deprive him of a pleasure to eat chocolates.

Hey, I can eat chocolate at times for socializing, but it is not some "special" food you crave and gorge on.

would the following coconut oil be optimal:
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/category/centrifuge-extracted-extra-virgin-coconut-oil.php

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »

My experience and other's experience is you lose the addiction to sugary sweet stuff.

I believe I am more similar to you then in this instance. Yes the fruit/chocolate/sweet is enticing, but I still have no problem moderating and saying no altogether. I think it's just that because I'm trying zero carb for the first time my body is confused. Right now I'm working more on getting used to raw meat before I force myself completely ZC because I'm afraid if I do too much at once I'll burn out and give up before I get results.
-Dustin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 03:19:40 pm »
would the following coconut oil be optimal:
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/category/centrifuge-extracted-extra-virgin-coconut-oil.php

That seems to be raw.
Some people have reported they are allergic to VCO, hopefully you are not one of them.

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 03:45:15 am »
The title "Anti nutrients in vegetables and fruit?" is ment as a question. Besides there is anti nutrients in some fruits, fx berries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk