Author Topic: Eating insects  (Read 4832 times)

Offline zyrcona

• Forager
    • View Profile
Eating insects
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:32:50 am »
Hi,

I have been lurking around this forum for a bit. Does anyone here eat insects? Insects are eaten by many human cultures of the world and also by most other primates, so I would like to eat more of them. I am looking for any information on making insect farms at home. I already already set up some waxworm farms and am hoping to have some homebred waxworms to eat soon. I wondered if anyone had tried any other species they would recommend, and if anyone knows of anywhere I can order exotic live insects to start from in the UK?

Thanks.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Eating insects
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:36:09 am »
Most places that sell exotic pets, such as reptiles and amphibians, also sell insects.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 05:25:57 am »
Hi Zyrcona
also, dont rule out the option of taking the time and getting out into the fields and forests to forage for insects. (You may already do so).
Even the most seemingly barren environments have possibilities.
Over this way, witchetty and other grubs, ant pupae and bogong moths (at certain times of the year) are all utilised by some folk. Plus other insects.
The added benefit of fresh air, movement, natural light and direct interaction with a natural environment is of itself great benefit.
J

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:21:10 am »
Waxworms and mealworms are very easy to farm. Superworms many say taste the best but are a bit more time consuming. Crickets you might want to look into. Very easy... but loud. Silk worms not as easy - but you can also have silk - but you need a mulberry tree to feed them.

There is a ton of information on the internet about raising all these creatures because this is what people feed to their reptiles. Petstores here in the states often have mealworms, superworms and crickets. You can order these mailed to you as well. I suggest you make sure you feed them well for a generation or two before eating any though when grown in industry they are fed badly. 

The problem with catching bugs outside is that if you live in a populated area the bugs can so easily be laced with insecticides and poisons. If you are in the country foraging would be great. With my neighbors all using toxic things on their lawns - I would only grow bugs for consumption. I haven't gotten myself to eat any of these - I feed them to my chickens and they make me eggs with them instead.  ;)  Here in Austin there are bug eating parties though. It's more popular than you would think. I probably would start with some cooked ones myself though. I've been planning on it.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »
I've eaten ants, not at all tasty to me.  I've also eaten some kind of bug that tends to eat mangos in Costa Rica.  I don't know the name of it, but I've eaten several of them, they have little flavor.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »

Reporting from second-hand sources I accessed in preparation for hopefully my own experimentation - when I build the courage:

I have been told that here in Texas the scorpions and wasps are delicious - but not exactly practical to farm. In general crickets are supposed to be tasty. Worm-like creature usually not as tasty and often larvae are the best in a general sense.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:38:22 am »
I just found what seems to be a very reasonably priced source for bugs/worms/crickets - but it's in the US

http://www.reptilefood.com/category.aspx?zcid=103

I'll probably order from them and let you know how they are.

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 02:44:22 pm »
Today I munched on some worms and woodbugs, the only ones I could find at this time of year in the forest. Not all that gross, but really not my thing.

My plans for the future include just buying things like crickets and crisping them up with coconut oil and mix with honey and salt, I think. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm intent on getting the whole-foods benefits of these little things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk