Author Topic: Diet and Social Interactions  (Read 10313 times)

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Diet and Social Interactions
« on: February 08, 2012, 08:41:30 pm »
I've been eating essentially completely raw now for around four months or more.

I am generally a socially confident person but I realise that I am still not completely confident with being open with my diet to people. I am trying to understand why this is, wondering if perhaps it's because I'm still not confident on some level that it's the right path etc.

I might be helpful to hear other people share their experiences regarding their diet and 'society,' if anyone is willing.

To give an example that came up today at the fish counter: the guy asked me what I was going to do with the large quantity of coley fillet I had purchased. I told him I didn't know, that I'd bake it or something, rather than being honest and saying  I was going to eat it raw. I guess in situations like that it's because I fear someone is going to be like 'what the heck' and give me a hard time, so it's just easier to lie. Yet still I walked away thinking to myself why wasn't I just upfront?

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Diet and Social Interactions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 08:47:35 pm »
Yet still I walked away thinking to myself why wasn't I just upfront?
People lie about just everything. If you manage to only lie a little bit about your diet and be socially accepted and succesfull your doing very well.

Sadly but true most people rather hear you tell an easy lie than accept an uncomfortable truth.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:47 pm »
Nothing wrong with lying to food-sellers about how you prepare your food before eating. I have come across one or two very bizarre, very limited food-sellers who, after being told about my diet, would pretend they had no further supplies of the relevant raw meat for me, because they didn't approve of my raw diet. Some food-sellers, though, don't care and are most grateful that I have recommended them to other raw foodists.

I would also advise not telling work-place colleagues about this diet. Real bad idea. Nothing wrong with telling friends and relatives, though, about this diet as long as they have no connection to your work-place.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:20 am »
This question comes up periodically and there is no right answer. I would agree with the above posters. Tell people at your own risk. I have relatives/friends/coworkers who would be mortified if they knew. Just do it. If necessary mix the food with something, so it looks like it is a "recipe". Or, eat alone.

It matters not, you are not put on this world to change everybody. I was a vege for years and I found no advantage by telling people.

You never know how people wil react, so it is safer to just keep it to yourself, but then maybe that's just me.

If you get too loud about it, people will not invite you out, for fear of offending you or poisoning you.
Cheers
Al

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:07:59 am »
Say you'll make sashimi, or tartar. It's equivalent to "I'll eat it raw" but a lot more acceptable.
I never bother and just say whatever I think people expect to hear though :)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:55 am »
Lie like a rug, unless you know how the person will react.

Offline superja

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:30:10 am »
I hide it from my roommate, which can be a challenge sometimes.

I am lucky enough to work at a place where the girls are always on some crazy diet or another, so showing up with raw meat is not really an issue when you are eating with people who are eating only birdseed, only fruit, nothing over 100 cal, only green things, only liquids... etc.

Realistically, you have to hide it sometimes. Don't feel bad.

On the other hand, I feel like the more we hide it, the less acceptable it will ever become. If people ask why you are so healthy, or something similar, I would say that is an appropriate time to be honest.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 08:24:43 am »

I am generally a socially confident person but I realise that I am still not completely confident with being open with my diet to people. I am trying to understand why this is, wondering if perhaps it's because I'm still not confident on some level that it's the right path etc.

I might be helpful to hear other people share their experiences regarding their diet and 'society,' if anyone is willing.

To give an example that came up today at the fish counter: the guy asked me what I was going to do with the large quantity of coley fillet I had purchased. I told him I didn't know, that I'd bake it or something, rather than being honest and saying  I was going to eat it raw. I guess in situations like that it's because I fear someone is going to be like 'what the heck' and give me a hard time, so it's just easier to lie. Yet still I walked away thinking to myself why wasn't I just upfront?

I think the confidence to just say the truth we are raw paleo dieters comes as the months and years go by.  It becomes just a matter of fact that this way of eating works best.

I have never come across narrow minded food sellers in my part of the world.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:30:02 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:30 am »
I tell people the truth and with one exception, I have had only interest. They all tell me to be careful of parasites. I always respond that I am concerned about it too and always buy local from the best sources, that seems to pull their pride into play and they offer advice on the better items to eat raw. I had lots of good info from a small fish market. I enjoyed the fatty fresh mackerel and oysters today. He told me not to eat Monk fish which I liked cooked and wanted to try raw. He said they are plagued with worms and feed at the coast which has more pollution. He offered me some delicious scallops to taste which I consumed on the spot. He was very pleased that I liked them so much.  I always tell others around me ahead of time what I'm about to eat and that it is very high quality and has been helping me with my health problems, I offer to go some place else if it will make them uncomfortable to see me. Everybody has been surprised to think that somebody would ask me to leave, nobody has.  2 survivalist guys actually tried meat and fat that I brought. They said they liked it. One guy had seconds, but said he didn't think he could give up bagels etc. People's positive reactions have made me feel more free than ever. Really, if they don't have something nice to say, then... Do what you like and say what you like. I like to be pollite, but never meek.
     IF you are questioning what is right for you pay attention to you. There are so many judgements and misconceptions with eating raw animal foods, even well intentioned people can confuse us.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 11:49:55 am by TylerDurden »
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:09:40 am »
I eat at work for everyone to see.  Besides being amusement for ppl who don't know about my eating habits, it's no big deal, really.  They all tell me to be careful and blah blah about parasites and whatnot, then dig into their donuts or Pringles chips with a side of soda, haha

Matt

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 11:48:29 am »
With people who are merely curious but don't need to know, I'm vague. When it's beef that they are asking about, I respond with the cut (rump roast, sirloin) or say tartare. Chicken or liver slices are either sashimi or ceviche. My buddies all know and don't ask me questions anymore.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:03:52 pm »
Thank you for your lovely post Adora.

I definitely feel that being as open as possible is something that is very important and liberating, and enables connection between people.

Thanks all for your replies.

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:00 pm »
I eat at work for everyone to see.  Besides being amusement for ppl who don't know about my eating habits, it's no big deal, really.  They all tell me to be careful and blah blah about parasites and whatnot, then dig into their donuts or Pringles chips with a side of soda, haha

Matt

Hey Matt that's great! :D

I am intrigued as to what sorts of food you often eat at work?

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 03:03:50 am »
Isthmus thank you for appreciating me
Matt I eat at work too, and we have the samething going on there, but lately people have been more curious and are saying how healthy my lunches always are. Many say they need to start eating healthier. I work in scubas that don't show my figure well, but I was at work on my day off to get some paperwork done. I was in stretch pants and all the girls made complementary remarks about the fine shape of my ass. I'll be sure to remind them at lunch next time I get a question about my diet. I don't expect converts but to improve tolerance and open mindedness within a medical community feels good.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...

Offline Adora

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 03:23:29 am »
Lately at work I eat lettuce leaves and assorted veggies, avocados, small cubes of muscle, organ, or fish, and a blend of animal fat with salt and seasoning - sometimes a couple of egg yolks on top. I was eating it in opaque bowls with lids, but it is more attractive and enjoyable laid on a small rectangular  Pyrex. I lay the lid over my meal when somebody new walks through the door and give them fair warning.
     I really enjoy my food. I almost never cheat. When I have it is a piece of cheese, or pepperoni, not cookies or chocolate. I have detox reactions every time I cheat now so I have less desire to sneak a bite when I know I'll feel like crap and can't sneak it past my increasingly aware system. Anyway, the nurses I work with, know a year ago I could stuff my face with cookies and always looked and felt like crap. I am satisfied with my diet and people can tell.
Oracle at Delphi

I grew and well I was;

Offline awesomeame

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 05:41:05 am »
I am intrigued as to what sorts of food you often eat at work?

Ground beef, every day!

Matt

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 05:48:07 am »
I used to fly for a guy whose son almost died and struggled for awhile as a result of food poisoning, supposedly from some poorly cooked chicken.

Now I know this lad was a party animal and I suspect his immune system was compromised long before his issue, but tell his dad that.

I was warned not to breathe a word about my food habits, as dad would not be too interested in my demise whilst hurtling him through space @ 80% of the speed of sound.
Cheers
Al

Offline superja

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 05:57:18 am »
@Al- the one I find most interesting is that food poisoning allegedly from meat turns people into "overcook it till it's totally destroyed!", but when people repeatedly get sick from the same illnesses caused by raw veggies, nobody tells you eating tomatoes is dangerous.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 06:02:44 am »
The good news is that after his brush with death, the guy has turned 180 degrees and is careful about what he ingests and has married a girl who is also so inclined.
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »
Fuck society. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Especially those gmo pesticide antibiotic hormone munchers.

You cant live worrying about what people think, just do your own thing. Living honestly is the only way in my opinion. Every lie will cause you problems. I never lie unless im forced and am much happier for it.

plus iv never gotten a bad reaction. Maybe someone will disapprove every once in a while but if someone actually gets angry at you over your diet then they suck anyway.

only problem iv had was with family who are worried.
-----------

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 04:26:48 pm »
You cant live worrying about what people think, just do your own thing. Living honestly is the only way in my opinion. Every lie will cause you problems. I never lie unless im forced and am much happier for it.

I agree that living as honestly and openly as possible is the way to go. But I think I need to keep open and looking into myself to become closer to this ideal.

Thanks

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »
I wouldn't even think of telling my mother. I am 58, but she is still mother (90 and still going strong) and is terrified when I lose weight. I basically have to tell her when I call that my wife is an excellent cook and we just had a wonderful meal. I have to fatten up before I visit, so she doesn't try fattening me up when I get there. LOL Even one of my sisters does that trip on me.

What can I say, she's my mother and I am not about to erase the writing on her walls at her age.
Cheers
Al

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 03:36:24 am »

I noticed that social topics regarding food are changing slowly but steadily. It becomes more relaxed. Traditional rules about the "right food" fade away, at least in the heavy industrialized countries.

Nowadays nearly everybody has some health problems and nearly everybody, with the exception of very poor people, is following a more or less special diet.

Eating raw fish, raw beef and raw pork or whatever is not really exciting anymore, especially if the "dieter" is not interested in the opinion of others..  :D

Löwenherz

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 03:38:51 am »
I wouldn't even think of telling my mother. I am 58, but she is still mother (90 and still going strong) and is terrified when I lose weight. I basically have to tell her when I call that my wife is an excellent cook and we just had a wonderful meal. I have to fatten up before I visit, so she doesn't try fattening me up when I get there. LOL Even one of my sisters does that trip on me.

LOL!!

Nice story..

Löwenherz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk