Author Topic: Hiya!  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Sarafiddlesurf

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hiya!
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »
Just introducing myself!
 My name is Sara. I am a yoga teacher in Ireland. I have been Paleo for 5 months and feel awesome. I have experimented with raw food in the past so look forward to combining the two.
  Ireland is a wet cold country so it would be tough to go totally raw. I like a bit of heat from my food. But raw meat recipes have always fascinated me.
  Looking forward to learning and sharing.
Kind Regards, Sara

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Hiya!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
People who are mostly or wholly raw(85%+?)  often report that their circulation etc. improves slowly after years on a RVAF diet, so that they are better able to withstand heat and cold than SAD-eaters. I'm a case in point.

Another point is that you don't necessarily have to eat cooked foods to feel instantly warm, anyway. A cup of hot tea will do fine, and will be far less harmful since it consists mostly of water.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »
Sara you can grind your fat (with a meat grinder)  and place it in a bowl that sits in warm 110 degree F water and cover.  A lot of the fat will melt and separate from the solid material.  It becomes like melted butter.  You can add thinly sliced meat and warm that too.  Or you can dip room temp thinly sliced meat into it.  Quite nice on a cold day.  Fat is what's key to satisfying those cold cravings that come up.  Let us know how it goes for you and welcome.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:20 pm »
Raw wild-caught fatty fish are key to keeping you warm in cold weather. Fat from grassfed animals is also effective.

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45:17 am »
Hi Sara,

Greetings to Ireland!

I think your country is THE GRASS-FED meat paradise in Europe, isn't it?

Löwenherz

Offline superja

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:55:30 am »
Welcome :)

I'm from Canada, and I've found that the key to feeling warm for me is just eating lots of fat.

Van's advice is great too. I used to do this at first with raw eggs- I kinda found it difficult to just 'rocky-style' them at the beginning. It was easier to take if they were slightly warm. Not an issue now though.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:21 am »
Welcome!

This place gets bigger and bigger!!
Imagine if we actually buy more traffic to this place... few years and anyone googling paleo will end up here!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17:33 am »
Ireland is a wet cold country so it would be tough to go totally raw. I like a bit of heat from my food.
Welcome Sara. Like Tyler, I'm another case in point. My extremities used to get super-cold when I ate a cooked Standard American Diet or cooked so-called "heart healthy" diet (including so-called "healthy" whole grains, plenty of cooked veggies, fruits, low fat milk or soy or rice milk, soy burgers, skinless chicken, etc. and I tried other diets as well, such as cooked vegetarianism, for example). Raw animal fat gives me more heat in the longer run than heated does. Heated food gives you a bit of heat for a bit after it enters your belly, but the heat quickly dissipates, whereas animal fat continuously provides heat as it's digested.

In the past on cold days my hands would take around 20 minutes or more to warm up after being outside and going back indoors. Now I can walk nearly a mile outdoors with no gloves on in windy 20 degrees Farenheit weather with little problem and my hands get warm again within a few minutes of going indoors.

Check out the "Hunter's response" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter%27s_Response; aka hunter's reflex, Avon relfex) that occurs when people eat a hunter-gatherer-type diet, particularly one rich in sea- or land- animal fat.

The relatively traditional Chukchi are people who still have the "hunter's response," though it's not discussed in this nonetheless excellent video:
Chukchi: Where the world ends

In a Medicine Men Gone Wild episode no longer available for free online, one of the two twin British physicians who were featured in the show shook the hand of a Chukchi hunter who had dipped it into the ice-cold sub-Arctic ocean and reported that it was warm--the hunter's response in action.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:09:50 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline ChefMasterOrange

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:55:40 am »
Just introducing myself!
 My name is Sara. I am a yoga teacher in Ireland. I have been Paleo for 5 months and feel awesome. I have experimented with raw food in the past so look forward to combining the two.
  Ireland is a wet cold country so it would be tough to go totally raw. I like a bit of heat from my food. But raw meat recipes have always fascinated me.
  Looking forward to learning and sharing.
Kind Regards, Sara

Welcome to the forum Sara!  How is your diet coming along?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk