Author Topic: Silicon Valley raw eater, saying HI  (Read 6897 times)

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Silicon Valley raw eater, saying HI
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:36:28 pm »
Hi,
  I've eaten raw meat in the last few years, but it wasn't what I considered "ideal".  I'd like to jump-start back into raw beef and perhaps raw fish consumption.

Brief background:  I've been consuming roughly a half-gallon of raw "grassfed" whole milk a day for several years; I've posted a bit on this before.  I've done well on it, other than it being boring and I think my benefits have plateaued.  It's expensive, but not nearly as expensive as driving to a market every day to buy very high dollar/lb raw grassfed beef, raw wild fish, or even 1.5 dozen pastured eggs.  But, I'd like to add raw meat, perhaps even to the point of replacing the milk entirely.  We'll see.  I've read Aajonus, WP, etc., but my practice has largely been limited to raw dairy.

If there are any RPD'ers in the Silicon Valley (California) area, I'd love to meet up to see how you manage.  At minimum, I'm VERY curious where you source your meat, especially if you get never-frozen grassfed beef.

For those of you, worldwide, who are able to get never-frozen meat, how do you store it without it all becoming "high"?  Do you put it in the fridge, hang it, or what?  For example, do any here dedicate a fridge to storing raw meat, and, if so, how do you set it up (temp, humidity)?

For the meat you are to eat that day, how do you store it or prepare it?  I'm thinking in terms of eating at work, without food prep facilities (unless I brought them along in my car) and without a curtain to shield my coworkers from watching me gnaw on a large Tbone slab.  Do you heat the food a little, if so how?  Do you pre-cut everything or cut/bite it on the spot?  If the latter ... what about cleaning up (raw blood on a plate or face would scare the neighbors)?

I'm asking a lot because I'd prefer not to go shopping every day and because eating at work without a kitchen will be my main challenge.  I'm not afraid of bugs but I am a bit concerned about pre-grinding or otherwise cutting up raw meat and then leaving it sit with other things mixed in for a day.

If I were to start with prepping just one raw-beef "box lunch" for work, is there anything simple you'd recommend?
  For comparison, I will typically take a bottle of milk out of the fridge the night before and drink it throughout the day.  I buy the milk once/week and store it in a regular fridge with everything else.  Very convenient.   

Thank you for your time,
Monk
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:43:59 pm by monkeysee »

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Silicon Valley raw eater, saying HI
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
why don't make it simple and take some fruits to work, and then eat the meat in the evening at home?
just start with the raw meat eating, it's not that complicated as you make it.. ;-)

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:02:11 pm »
"why don't make it simple and take some fruits to work, and then eat the meat in the evening at home?"
Because I'm looking for something good to eat while at work.  ;)

"just start with the raw meat eating, it's not that complicated as you make it.. ;-)"
While at work.

Einstein - "Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:20:40 pm »
Obviously, we don't heat our meats. As regards storing, I buy raw  wimd game  every week and keep my fridge at as low a temperature as possible, only just above freezing. Since my raw meats are vacuum-packed, they don't really go off until after 10 days in the fridge. I would not want them stored for that long in case anaerobic bacteria start proliferating in the meat. I have no personal issue with aerobic bacteria, but other SAD-eating visitors might, so I don't store meats for weeks with one exception:- if I'm in a place with a garden, I love to make "high-meat" and store it in the ground.

As regards food at work, at most I used to buy raw fruit for that as I would never dare eat raw meat in front of SAD-eaters except possibly at sashimi restaurants and the like.Hmm, sushi/sashimi bars are so common in the countries I visit that it's no hassle for me to buy sashimi/raw fish for lunch. I don't usually actually do that as I prefer doing Intermittent Fasting which means I just eat one large meal in the evening or at night and nothing else except water the rest of the day.

You could make your own beef jerky for taking to work. Lex has a guide for that on rawpaleodiet.com. Beef Jerky isn't so off-putting to SAD-eaters.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:43:45 pm »
"why don't make it simple and take some fruits to work, and then eat the meat in the evening at home?"
Because I'm looking for something good to eat while at work.  ;)
Good in what sense? Nutritionally, taste, convenience?
Eating meat once a day is enough. Why does it have to be exactly when you are at work? Fruits win as a food to eat at work if you ask me.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:49 pm »
I get freshly killed beef.
I just put it in the refrigerator open air.
I eat it bit by bit until it's gone. (Less than a week)
Then I go back to the wet market and buy some more.

For raw fish and other sea food, I have to eat it within a day.  Two days at the most.

I live in a big extended household so animal food tends to get consumed very fast.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

CitrusHigh

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:44 pm »
Think about doing some empathy work on why you feel the need to hide your healthy habits from your co-workers? Do you fear stigmatization? Ridicule? Being ostracized?

If so it might help if you bulldoze those fears with all the of the factual reasons why if anything it is they, not you who should be hiding their habits?

Over the last 4 years of eating raw meat I have gone from almost totally concealing my practices to happily and confidently telling anyone (except food suppliers for utilitarian reasons, they will often stop selling to you if you make it known you're eating the stuff raw) who asks about my diet. This is because I have the health an experience to back it up. It helps if people get to know you first, but this can be done with anyone, even strangers you meet in your daily affairs. Usually it goes something like this....

"You eat raw meat?!" or "You're going eat that RAW?!?!"

me: "yep"

"You're going to get sick/worms/die" or "Gross!" or "That's disgusting!"

me: "Well actually I've been doing this every day for four years now, 3 times per day. I used to get sick a lot, colds and flus like everyone else and also nasty skin infections (at which time I point out the mildly visible scars on my face). But after trying every mainstream 'remedy' you can think of I began exploring diet. This led me to raw foods, and particularly raw meat. Not only have my infections vanished, but as long as I avoid sugars/grains/alcohol/toxins, I do not get sick at all, EVER, period. Nor have I been to the doctor or the dentist in 4 years, whereas prior to that time I was in and out of the doctors office several times each year. The real question is why do you cook your food? Do you know what would happen to your body if you applied that heat to you? It would kill you. Does it make more sense to support life with life or with death? " Then I quickly summarize the toxins created from fats, carbs and proteins when cooked, and explain that it is toxins, not microbes that cause disease. THEN I give them a chance to reply. Typically during this little schpiel they go from incredulous to curious and respectful. They can see that I'm fit, because I have a muscular, trim physique and I look healthy. Also throwing around terms like lipid peroxides and heterocyclic amines tends to have a shock and awe effect on people. Most people have no clue what you just said, so they don't feel comfortable trying to rebut it. And like I said, they're usually more curious than anything at this point. If they seem interested at that point I will talk about the caveats, of rearing protocols for the animals and the ethics involved in sustainable animal foods and why all of that matters, as well as the other aspects of detriment caused by cooked/processed foods and drugs, as well as the reason for the position mainstream medicine and science takes regarding microbes/parasites.

All of this process, takes but a few minutes. And I can tell you, people have begun eating raw meat for this reason. This has caused people working at my co-op to try raw grassfed liver and heart. They have cited me as the reason for trying it. Also my experience and discourse on our local traditional-foods listserve has caused folks to incorporate more raw animal foods in to their diets. But this is because I speak with authority and I'm not meek about it. If I didn't sound like I knew what I was talking about, they would treat me like a mad man. I have a good relationship with everyone at the co-op I get most of my grass fed meat from and they know I'm the raw meat guy. But I consider all these people to be my friends, I've developed relationships with them outside of the co-op and it has been a really amazing process.

I can't stress how rare it is to meet someone who maintains their incredulity after these few simple explanations. Most people are either interested or indifferent, but not put off.

With all that said, if you wish to maintain discretion when you eat, learn to make socially acceptable raw dishes. No they're not always simple, but if you want to have your cake and eat it too this is the best route. Learn to make ceviche, tartare, beef tataki, etc. If your dishes have sauces or spices coating them, they will be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, more palatable to SAD tongues,  better aroma, and in some cases people won't even know they're raw. If you have a sauce covering your meat, it will just look like cooked meat in sauce.

These socially acceptable dishes will help pave the way for you to come out of the raw closet also. You can start off with something like ceviche which is a fairly common more or less raw dish and when people ask what you have, explain the benefits of having enzyme rich, living food.

Another great tactic is explaining to people that your system won't tolerate cooked foods very well, and even if you don't have acute symptoms from eating cooked food, it is true that your body is put under stress by cooked foods. But if you can come up with some acute symptoms correlated to the consumption of raw foods that is all the better because then you have a smoking gun and you can say "look, this happens when I eat cooked meat/foods, but if I eat them raw it's all good baby".

I understand the reasons for being shy about eating raw meat, but all the more reason to gain as much knowledge as you can about the mechanics of the eating process and the effects of cooked food versus raw foods. This in turn will make you more confident and you will have the added benefit of bringing real health, and really a life changing experience to others around you. All in good time though!

Also I saw you were familiar with WAP stuff, have you contacted your local chapter at all? You usually don't need to join to go to the meetings, and even if you never go to the meetings usually these people are tapped in to local sources of meat so you can bypass the ridiculous prices of co-ops and grocery stores....here's the contact info for your closest chapter....

San Jose and South Bay: Clarissa Clark (408) 881-3397, wapfsouthbay@gmail.com, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/WAPF-SouthBay/

Just be friendly and let them know you're looking for sources of local pastured foods. And as I said before, you don't need to be open about your raw habits just yet with anyone who might relay that info to producers, farmers can get pretty freaked out about that kind of thing. There is the possibility though that these folks are familiar with Aajonus, and if you find they view him favorably, then you can open up about it. But I would tread lightly at first because you don't want to lose valuable sources of food for such silly reasons. Also, if you have the kind of suburban plot that will support such a thing, keep a couple hens in a chicken tractor for fresh eggs each day. Chickens are the easiest, hardiest and IMHO most fruitful animals to keep at home. They can live off of very little, just some spare fruits, veggies, bugs, meat scraps and they will give you eggs better than most you'll find in stores. Because usually as the scale of livestock goes up, the quality goes down in order to bring a uniform, consistent product to market.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:37:41 pm by Let'sCopOut »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 03:19:53 am »
Hi, Monk. I'm in the Silicon Valley. My main butcher is Lunardi's on S. Bascom, where Cosentino's used to be. Jason is the meat department manager. They buy Humboldt Grassfed Beef and butcher it in-store, so you can get it "your way."

I also shop at some halal markets for lamb or goat, but I am not always sure if it is 100% natural diet.

I get seafood from Asian markets - fresh oysters in season at 99 Ranch (any location).

Other stuff: frozen bison marrow bones from a ranch in Mendocino County (I drive ther e and stock up), but I'm looking for local sources; good chicken from a ranch in Petaluma (drive there once in a while). Notice that Whole Foods is not on the list, even though they have a store 1/2 mile from my house!

I hang 3 - 10 pound slabs of meat in my fridge from stainless-steel "S" hooks.

I take my raw lunch to work and eat it in view of others, only avoiding certain blabbermouths who would go on and on the entire meal about what I'm eating.

Wouldn't it be funny if we were co-workers?
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:46:25 am »
It may take a while to respond to all these posts, can't get to them all at once.  Thanks for your replies.

Hi Tyler,
  By heating, I meant getting it to the temp you consume it at.  If you don't heat, does that mean you eat the meat straight from the fridge, cold?  Picking up a raw steak from the fridge just doesn't stimulate my appetite.
  Wild game?  I'm jealous.

Going without eating all day is not a good option for me, I have a tendency to do that anyway and it triggers GERD.  Breaking a hungry fast with fruit does the same, if I correctly recall previous experiences.  Perhaps now that I have terramin I could try dealing with it that way.  Or I can stick with milk but reduce the volume and just focus on what to eat at home.  Lots of possibilities available, but I'm still curious how people manage to eat raw meat at work, if any do.

Part of my search for a milk alternative is I have a need to chew when just on milk.  Perhaps home made jerky would be a good way to address that.  I've tried pemmican ... ew. 

Side question -  Have you tried storing beef suet or back fat long term in the fridge?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 05:55:19 am »
If I'm very lazy, I sometimes do eat the raw meat cold from the fridge, but I usually wait 10 minutes or so for it to warm.

Yes, I've stored beef suet in the fridge though I've often left out very dry raw suet out of the fridge for weeks without issues - it doesn't smell and just goes green or blue on the surface but otherwise doesn't seem to decay for many weeks. No idea what "back fat" is.  I hate raw suet actually, but raw grassfed/wild marrow isn't that easy to get.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 06:32:24 am »
If you don't heat, does that mean you eat the meat straight from the fridge, cold?  Picking up a raw steak from the fridge just doesn't stimulate my appetite.

Side question -  Have you tried storing beef suet or back fat long term in the fridge?

For my packed lunches, I don't refrigerate them during the day, so by lunch they are at room temperature.  Within the time it takes to chew them, they are at body temperature.

I store back fat in the fridge or at room temperature.

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 08:27:39 am »
Good in what sense? Nutritionally, taste, convenience?
Eating meat once a day is enough. Why does it have to be exactly when you are at work? Fruits win as a food to eat at work if you ask me.
  Sweets, even if fruit, are not at the top of my food list.  I eat fruit sometimes but I'm not going to eat nothing but fruit all day at work.  It just wouldnt work for me.
  Among other things, I don't think it would works well with GERD, which I have.  GERD has been kept in check by raw milk, but I'm looking for alternatives.

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 08:35:21 am »
I get freshly killed beef.
I just put it in the refrigerator open air.
I eat it bit by bit until it's gone. (Less than a week)
Then I go back to the wet market and buy some more.

For raw fish and other sea food, I have to eat it within a day.  Two days at the most.

I live in a big extended household so animal food tends to get consumed very fast.
Thanks for your input.  Big families are good stuff.

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:43 am »
CopOut,
  Thanks for your extensive input. 
  I've told people at work about my diet and interests.  They've observed me with the raw milk for years.
  I was concerned about eating a raw steak in my cubical; it would not be a delicate operation.   Are you saying you now use sauces, and grind things up in advance to eat at work?  If not, how do you eat it at work?
  I haven't contacted a local WAP chapter, no.  Thanks for looking that up. 
  I am renting a house and cannot have "pets".  I would have a little garden/farm if zoning etc. permitted it.

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 09:02:18 am »
JACKPOT!  Ding ding ding.

Hi, Monk. I'm in the Silicon Valley. My main butcher is Lunardi's on S. Bascom, where Cosentino's used to be. Jason is the meat department manager. They buy Humboldt Grassfed Beef and butcher it in-store, so you can get it "your way."

I also shop at some halal markets for lamb or goat, but I am not always sure if it is 100% natural diet.

I get seafood from Asian markets - fresh oysters in season at 99 Ranch (any location).

Other stuff: frozen bison marrow bones from a ranch in Mendocino County (I drive ther e and stock up), but I'm looking for local sources; good chicken from a ranch in Petaluma (drive there once in a while). Notice that Whole Foods is not on the list, even though they have a store 1/2 mile from my house!

I hang 3 - 10 pound slabs of meat in my fridge from stainless-steel "S" hooks.

I take my raw lunch to work and eat it in view of others, only avoiding certain blabbermouths who would go on and on the entire meal about what I'm eating.

Wouldn't it be funny if we were co-workers?

Wouldn't it be funny if I was one of those blabbermouths?
That reminds me of a scene from Dumb and Dumber where a guy breaks into [Jim Carey's] bathroom stall.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:56:54 pm »
No, I typically don't use sauces. The people I work with are fully aware of my diet and accept it, especially since they know I don't get sick, while they basically go from cold to flu to cold and back again all winter. I only sauce it when I feel like spicing it for culinary reasons. But if you're shy about eating raw meat around others, it is a great way to disguise it.

Usually I cut my meat ahead of time in to cubes, throw it in a mason jar and I'm good to go. But I want people to see what I'm eating. I want them to ask me questions and I want to get them thinking. This diet could wipe out disease, and not just physical disease, but most mental issues (where there is no permanent physical corollary damage as in down's syndrome), this is going to make the world a much healthier place eventually. A lot of people even within this community don't think it will ever catch on, but I have a different opinion of the truth. It is stubborn and eventually will become universal. Maybe not everyone will adopt it, but they will accept the facts, that cooked food promotes disease, and raw foods promote health. I don't get in people's faces and I'm not obnoxious about it, but if they show an inkling of curiosity, I'll take that as far as it will go, if to only plant a seed of thought.

You can let your meat touch a hot pan on each side for 5 seconds or less and it will for all intents and purposes appear to be cooked, rare.

If you're eating raw meat in your cubicle, yeah cut it up ahead of time so it's bite sized and go to it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:03:55 pm by Let'sCopOut »

Offline monkeysee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:15:04 pm »
  I went to Lunardis today, where eveheart shops for meat.  Bought one ribeye steak, the last two sirloin steaks, and a large piece of tritip, all Humbolt grassfed beef.
  I left the ribeye out and ate that tonight - WOW!  Good stuff.  Reminded me of a raw tuna steak.  The fat reminded me of butter.  The rest of my family, which doesn't have a taste for cooked beef, loved this raw beef, too.  The ribeye was pricey, though, eighteen dollars per pound.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 01:32:14 am »
The ribeye was pricey, though, eighteen dollars per pound.

I buy cheaper cuts such as rump roast, which has been under $6/pound lately (less than grass-fed ground beef). Parts such as the rump are not sinewy, so even the cheap cuts are tender. Cooking, even light cooking such as you find in searing, pho or shabu-shabu, toughen the meat instantly. IMO, there is no need to buy the so-called tender (pricey) cuts of beef when you eat raw.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk