Author Topic: Avocados and omegas  (Read 9009 times)

Offline Picassolover

• Forager
    • View Profile
Avocados and omegas
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:23:01 pm »
Can anyone explain to me why avocados are eaten so much on a paleo diet when their omega 6 is so high?
It's impossible to balance it with omega 3 unless I eat a ton of fish with it!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:37:56 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Avocados and omegas
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:38:28 pm »
This statement as it is framed is a false accusation:
"Can anyone explain to me who avocados are eaten so much on a paleo diet when their omega 6 is so high?"

I don't eat a lot of avocados because I know that fact about avocados having too much omega 6.

Besides, I have no craving for avocados.

What we advocate here in this forum is raw animal meat and raw animal fat is over and above superior to any fruit or seed or plant fats.

I have not seen a promotion of eating a lot of avocados in this forum.  You must have been reading a vegan forum.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »
I used to have a craving for raw avocadoes while on raw vegan/fruitarian diets, because of the fat involved. I rarely touch it these days as I get plenty of raw fats from raw animal foods. Indeed, when I did an experiment with avocadoes while on a RVAF diet which was very lean at the time, I found I didn't do as well even when I upped the intake of avocadoes a lot.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 10:04:49 pm »
I tend to binge on avocados every so often. ie. I will go without a single avocado for months then eat about 5 or 6 per day for a few days. The latest binge was very recently and to my surprise I noticed a significant improvement in my skin. Must be the vit E or smthn. I had never previously noticed this when eating just one or two avocados every day or every other day as a regular part of my diet.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »
I tend to binge on avocados every so often. ie. I will go without a single avocado for months then eat about 5 or 6 per day for a few days. The latest binge was very recently and to my surprise I noticed a significant improvement in my skin. Must be the vit E or smthn. I had never previously noticed this when eating just one or two avocados every day or every other day as a regular part of my diet.
Maybe that's a sign you need more fruit/veggies in your diet?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:23:25 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:28:53 pm »
Maybe thats a sign you need more fruit/veggies in your diet?

I eat from 300 to 600g of berries almost every day. Eating too much sweet fruit makes my skin itchy and inflamed. Havn't eaten veggies in ages, because the last time I had some veggie juice it went straight through me...so figured my body doesn't need anything from them.

Having said that though, avocados are very different to other fruit and veg, so I don't think it is an indication for a need of more fruits and veg in general in my diet. Perhaps just more avocados.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:46 pm »
I eat from 300 to 600g of berries almost every day. Eating too much sweet fruit makes my skin itchy and inflamed. Havn't eaten veggies in ages, because the last time I had some veggie juice it went straight through me...so figured my body doesn't need anything from them.

Having said that though, avocados are very different to other fruit and veg, so I don't think it is an indication for a need of more fruits and veg in general in my diet. Perhaps just more avocados.
all right I thought you were largely carnivoric. What berries do you eat and where do you get them?
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:01 pm »
I do eat avocados quite often, I like it and it's fine with me. It doesn't prevent me from eating a lot of raw animal food. ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:24:14 pm by TylerDurden »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:52 pm »

Just curious... do you eat the berries because you like them?

Just a guess but the avocados may pacify the sourness of the fruit.

I like fruit but cannot eat it as it is too sour. I have to eat it with plenty of fat which in my case I use butter and cream.
Cheers
Al

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40:18 pm »
probably just want the different nutrient in the avocados, such as potassium and vitamin e...variety in moderation is fine for most

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:20 pm »
all right I thought you were largely carnivoric. What berries do you eat and where do you get them?

Frozen organic raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and red berries. I mostly go for the raspberries and blueberries. I buy them from Eko plaza aka natuurwinkel.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:49:51 pm »
Just curious... do you eat the berries because you like them?

Just a guess but the avocados may pacify the sourness of the fruit.

I like fruit but cannot eat it as it is too sour. I have to eat it with plenty of fat which in my case I use butter and cream.

I love the taste of berries. I also love the taste of most fruits, but berries, unlike most fruits, don't cause me any skin irritation. I think it's most likely due to berries containing far fewer carbs. I also believe that berries are more nutritious and antioxidant rich than other fruits.

In the summer however I can tolerate far more fruit in my diet. The positive effects of sunshine seem to override any negative effects from increased fruit/carb consumption.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 02:52:29 am »
variety in moderation is fine for most
Sure, variety and the proper amount of each foodstuff is what we need.

BTW, paleo-hominids didn't know anything about omega 3 & 6 and they could live fine with that absence of such tiny fragments of  knowledge, so miserable compared to the immense complexity of the living phenomenon. So do I: I rather don't want to know what omega 3 & 6 are. One day, science will find out that it's not so simple — just like for cholesterol.  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:33:24 am »
This is the 3 week. I have been eating 2-3 avocados/day. I started eating them because the went on sale for $1/each. They aren't organinc. I didn't know they were high in omega 6. I am still eating them because for the last week I have only had chicken and fish, with some leftover frozen fat. This week all I have are pork organs, also not fatty. I like fresh fat much more than frozen so, I eat more avocados, coconut oil, and egg yolks to supplement when I have hardly any fresh animal fat. Maybe I eat too much fat, or vegetable fat, but I want it so I have been eating it. I'm getting sick of them though. Thurs. I'll have more raw eggs and fresh pork fat. I probably won't eat any avocados for awhile  after that.
    Had I known about the omega6 level I might have taken more fish oil. I've been thinking about it, so, now I think that was my intuition. I'm not going to let my perfectly good avocados go when I like them, but I will be happy to spend $$ on other things for awhile. Thanks for bringing it up. 
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 04:02:43 am »
In: Why are avocados considered to be a healthful food when the 6:3 ratio is so high?
Isn't one of the points of Paleo to eat like the cavemen (and women). I doubt they sat around the campfire wondering if the ratios were too high. Eat. Enjoy.
  :D

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 04:20:54 am »
BTW, paleo-hominids didn't know anything about omega 3 & 6 and they could live fine with that absence of such tiny fragments of  knowledge, so miserable compared to the immense complexity of the living phenomenon. So do I: I rather don't want to know what omega 3 & 6 are. One day, science will find out that it's not so simple — just like for cholesterol.  ;)

For what its worth Iguana, I agree.  :)
There are myriad perspectives on which foods are good and which are not. For every study that is 'anti', search and you will find another that is 'pro'. Or confounding variables. Or mitigating factors. Or the body's inherent processes of maintaining homeostasis. And so on.
Science is a two-edge sword: it has enabled mankind to do so many things and has initiated a particular line of thinking and evaluation.
But in so so doing, this type of thinking can usurp our natural sensory awareness.
Nuts, like avocados, are also said to be high in omega 6 fats, but I am happy for the little 'primitive sensory computer' through nose and tongue, to do all the evaluations, and blissfully eat accordingly. ;)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 05:54:10 am »
couple of things,  juice may run through one's intestines because one might be ingesting much more than one would by chewing, sucking, and spitting out the fibrous, and then stopping when your body has told you that it now tastes bad (the stop).  Try it sometime,  see how much kale you can chew, suck and spit out.  Or with spinach, or dandelion,, etc.. 
    I tend to not do well with avos anymore.  Maybe because years past I ate a million of them.  I am not sure but they tend to create discomfort with my liver.    Original paleo didn't have definitions but he did have instinct.  And sometime that instinct walks a fine line so to speak.  I think it's highly likely that a 'tribes' elders might be like our parents saying things like all that candy will give you a stomach ache, as in all those avocados will may you feel not so good.  We don't always remember what we ate well enough to correlate directly to feelings of well and not so well being.  And often our tastes do overwhelm our better judgement.  Can't tell you how much better I do without honey, raw wild honey, even though I LOVE the stuff.  But then I've abused my body for many years with excesses. And hence my body is probably overly sensitive to sugars where other's are not.    hence,, early man with paleo diets being eaten generation after generation I highly suspect would have a much better litmus gauging guide than mine, and ability to eat healthily many foods that I am now sensitive too. 

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 02:10:05 am »
What we advocate here in this forum is raw animal meat and raw animal fat is over and above superior to any fruit or seed or plant fats.

GS, what was your recent experience with sunflower seeds?

Löwenherz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk