Author Topic: Macronutrient ratios in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets  (Read 19308 times)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Macronutrient ratios in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:59 am »
Here is an extensive discussion about macronutrient ratios:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/71/3/682.long

Löwenherz

Offline Darwinian Fitness

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • Darwinian Fitness
Re: Macronutrient ratios in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:40:53 am »
Hunter-gatherers are always a great reference.

However we should keep in mind that modern hunter-gatherers

1. Live in extremely undesirable resource environments (else they would have already been pushed off their land)

2. Use the technology of fire to process certain plants (especially roots and tubers) to make them edible

Hi, my name is Chris.
I help people get slim, fit, and strong.
You can find my website Darwinian Fitness at http://DarwinianFitness.com

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:08:05 am »
These studies are purely hypothetical.  They will never really know if early man killed two animals just to eat more fat, hence discarding excess protein.  And to know this they would have to know how plentiful animals were to hunt.  I have heard it many times how american plains Indians would kill in excess for certain parts of the buffalo.  Maybe they spoke of this in the article, just too long to sift through for me. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:14:28 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:36:21 pm »
Thanks for raising those above points. I usually despair at the ease in which many raw-foodists believe in the Noble-Savage theory, whereby hunter-gatherer tribes are all seen as being embodiments of dietary etc. perfection.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:14 pm »
Here is some data that Satya of Dirty Carnivore pointed me to that shows rather different macronutrient ratios for the Inuit than the corrected and modified Ethnographic Atlas data that Cordain's team used:

Table 10.1 Published Macronutrient Ratios for Traditional Coastal Inuit Diets
(Compiled from  Dr. D.C. Foote's 1967 socio-economic report, "The East Coast of Baffin Island, N.W.T., an area economic survey," unpublished multilith.)

Author Protein Fat Carbohydrate
Krogh & Krogh, 1915  48.3% 46.5% 5.4%
Hoygaard, 1941  43% 54% 3%
Heller & Scott 1962  56% 43% 1%
Rabinowitch and Smith, 1936  44.7 % 48.7 % 6.5 %

(Note: the newer data--Heller & Scott--includes some modern imported foods, but the ratios are interestingly similar to those in the older data, albeit with more protein and, surprisingly, even less carbs.)

One of the aspects of the macronutrient data that I have found interesting, is the wide ranges in all three of the macronutrients, especially if the above data is valid and included. More than anything it seems to suggest that macronutrient ratios are not all that important, though Paul Jaminet has recently made the case that they still are, basically by whittling out a lot of the data he views as suboptimal (which Cordain's team also did to a lesser extent, by removing the Arctic data, which lowered the upper end of the fat range and raised the low end of the carb range, claiming that it was outlier data, which they would likely do again with the above data).

I don't know for sure whether Paul is right or wrong, but macronutrient ratios is not a high priority for me. I tend to focus more on how individual foods affect me. If foods provide me benefits, I don't particularly care whether they add to my carb intake or not.

It is indeed difficult to extrapolate current HG data back to the Paleolithic (and we are just as ignorant about what actual Paleolithic diets were as anthropologists, Paleoanthropologists and other scientists are, if not more so), but the other point that Cordain and other scientists make is that these peoples they're studying have been found to be far healthier than Americans and free of most of the diseases of civilization like obesity, heart disease, acne, etc. So presumably, eating more like them than the SAD would produce improved health, which is exactly what the studies of people trying diets that are more "Paleo" than the SAD have so far showed, and what our own experiences that we have reported in this forum show, and what cooked and raw Paleo dieter reports at other forums and blogs, Crossfit, the Ancestral Health Symposium, and other sources of information and communicaitons have also shown, which is probably why Paleo/ancestral-type diets appear to be the fastest growing diet trend at the moment. It seems more a cause for celebration than criticism.

Plus, scientists know a lot more about how HGs of recent times ate/eat than they do about Stone Age diets, so it's easier to eat more like a HG than a Stone Ager. That can lead to some pitfalls, such as underemphasizing or ignoring rawness and even types of cooking, as Tyler has pointed out. But it doesn't completely invalidate the data. It still has some utility. The good news in that area is that there is slowly growing recognition of the importance of the cooking/rawness factor among such folks as Denise Minger, Chris Masterjohn, Stephan Guyenet, the WAPF, Dr. William Davis, etc. Ironically, Weston Price and the WAPF is probably one of the most influential sources for promoting raw, less-cooked, and traditionally-cooked foods, as they influenced Masterjohn and Guyenet.

We eat even more Paleo (or at least, we seem to think we do) than the people on Paleo-like diets in the HG and clinical studies, so our diets may be even better, but there is a continuum of bad to good in diets, not just two discrete categories of pure evil and pure good. So you could choose to look at the current science as useless because the data and the diets aren't "perfect" (which ironically smacks of a noble savage utopian idealism that insists on a standard of Stone Age perfection that no one really knows for certain what it was or should be) or you could choose to look at it as useful for the information it provides, the amazing benefits it has revealed and produced, and the dietary revolution it has helped spur, including this very forum.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:04:57 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:49:04 pm »
I wasn't seeking perfection, merely the acknowledgement that HG diets are highly flawed. The fact is that modern HG diets are "less worse" than a cooked junk-food diet, rather than "better", given the multitude of flaws in them. Besides, Vitalis and other gurus who talk about eating raw meat usually state that "since" HGs cooked much of their food that "therefore" cooking was OK, and that people shouldn't avoid cooking entirely. This is just a standard example of what I mean re the belief in the Noble Savage theory and illustrates that these gurus are not  really people we should listen to.  And many people do badly on HG-type diets, and any benefits gained are usually quite slight. In my own case, raw dairy and cooked tubers did not benefit me healthwise, nor did fermented grains or cooked animal foods, and those are standard staples of many HG diets.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 02:47:39 am »
I wasn't seeking perfection, merely the acknowledgement that HG diets are highly flawed.
"Highly flawed" seems like your usual hyperbole to me. There are a great variety of HG diets, including some that include lots of raw animal foods, so it seems like you're also oversimplifying by lumping everything together in this way.

Besides, Vitalis and other gurus who talk about eating raw meat usually state that "since" HGs cooked much of their food that "therefore" cooking was OK, and that people shouldn't avoid cooking entirely.
Yes, that's unsupported extrapolation and cooked Paleo diet guru Matt Lalonde, who has a PhD in biochemistry, showed in thorough detail in his presentation at the Ancestral Healthy Symposium why we shouldn't do that and why it's not good science (http://www.thehealthyteacher.com/2011/09/05/mat-lalonde-ancestral-health-symposium/). Did you watch it? Of course, even Matt doesn't follow his own suggestions 100% consistently, such as in regards to cooking, but that's something that we raw Paleo dieters can help the cooked Paleos see, by encouraging them to apply Matt's suggestions to cooking along with everything else.

any benefits gained are usually quite slight. ...
If that were true, there wouldn't be much of a Paleo diet movement. Robb Wolf alone claims that thousands upon thousands of people have sent him emails reporting improvements, including extraordinary ones, (http://www.robbwolf.com/tag/success-stories/) and he says he has 30,000 more emails from people who are interested and want help that he doesn't have time to read. He and other Paleo diet gurus (like Ray Audette, Loren Cordain, Mark Sisson, etc.) and Paleo dieters report dramatic improvements in Rheumatoid arthritis (http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/general-discussion/rheumatoid-arthritis/msg86265/#msg86265), osteoarthritis (my father and other people I know, for example), epilepsy, diabetes (especially type II, but also type I), overweight/obesity, multiple sclerosis (http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110416/COLUMNIST/110419739/1004?Title=Here-Now-Paleo-diet-intense-workouts-halt-progress-of-MS-), Menieres disease, ulcerative colitis, ankylosing spondylitis, fibromyalgia, right bundle-branch block, depression, GERD, IBS and bloating, acne, PCOS, infertility, autism, asthma, allergies, chronic headaches, hypertension, ectopic eyelash, overlapping toes, inguinal hernia, clogged sinuses and post nasal drip, tetany, and on and on!

For example, Ray Audette reported in NeanderThin that he experienced a complete remission of RA and diabetes symptoms, so that he no longer had any joint pain or needed insulin injections. Dr. Terry Wahls http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/health/multiple-sclerosis-info/msg81861/#msg81861 and Jack Challem http://jackchallem.com/pages/nomorefatigue/Chapter4.pdf also reported stunning stories of cases of complete or near-complete remissions in MS symptoms. Some would call these "cures," though I prefer to avoid using that term in general. Patricia Winslow of Paleofood reported experiencing better concentration, better memory, better mood, etc. on a half-cooked Paleo diet vs. a raw vegan diet she tried. And there are many more cooked Paleo success stories.

Don't you read any of the cooked Paleo forums or blogs or read any of the cooked Paleo books or watch any of the videos of their symposiums and interviews or any of their podcasts at all? If you did, you would know about the many amazing success stories and the promising early research. Raw Paleo is not a refutation of cooked Paleo, it's a small improvement on the best of the fundamental concepts in cooked Paleo and part of the same overall Paleo/ancestral/Primal tent. I don't see why you seem to insist on trying to set them at odds with each other and even seem to encourage ill will between the followers of different flavors of Paleo. Lex Rooker, in contrast, only says that he thinks he experiences small additional benefit from rawness and doesn't claim that there's any certainty behind his principle of eating mostly raw. I think you and I will have to agree to disagree on this one.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:35:02 am »
"Highly flawed" seems like your usual hyperbole to me. There are a great variety of HG diets, including some that include lots of raw animal foods, so it seems like you're also oversimplifying by lumping everything together in this way.
That's a childish accusation,  my point was a dead-accurate description. The fact is that even the HG diets which include lots of raw animal foods have some intrinsic problems. For example, the Inuit/Arctic diets generally involved a zero-carb approach. For people like me, ZC is an absolute disaster.  Also another point is that HG tribes usually  had to make nasty compromises with their diets just in order to survive(such as eating tubers instead of less-accessible meats etc.), so it would be the height of stupidity to just blindly copy their diets.

As for so-called paleolithic diet "success", the studies on that diet tend to show some benefits(more usually only alleviations of certain conditions/diseases rather than all-out cures) and the alleviated diseases/illnesses are usually mainly only "modern" ones like type 2 diabetes or auto-immune diseases. Also, I've been on plenty of cooked-palaeodiet forums in the past as well as raw food diet forums, and have noticed that while the raw food diet forums(even raw vegan forums as regards people only a few months into RV) all routinely had glowing testimonials about recovering from multiple unusual diseases(I've even come across claims by some people of no longer getting symptoms of a particular genetic disease as a result of going RVAF!), the testimonials from the cooked-palaeolithic diet forums were far fewer and pretty pathetic. For most RVAFers, they report that going raw resulted in most of their health-problems disappearing whereas cooked-palaeolithic diets merely provided perhaps 10% of the answer to their improved health, at best. Some like raw-al even do fine on non-palaeo stuff like raw dairy.  This is not surprising as the scientific evidence re heat-created toxins indicates that a large number of diseases, especially age-related diseases, are linked to consumption of cooked foods. The cooked-palaeolithic diet cannot help with those diseases to any real extent.

" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 05:38:11 am »
That's a childish accusation,
Ridiculous spitefulness resorted to when you disagree with and can't refute what someone says, such as your use of the exaggerated language, "highly flawed," without even bothering to compare it to anything. Pale diet gurus and research are usually comparing HG diets to SAD, not to some ideal of perfection from some noble savagerer theory notions of pre-cooking Stone Age days (if using data from HG's who did any cooking is somehow part of "the noble savage theory," then claims without evidence that some pre-cooking Stone Age diet of your imagination must be even better might be called "the noble savagerer theory," since you're harkening back to even more "savage" earlier days). To call HG diets highly flawed in the usual context of comparison to SAD or no context at all is hyperbole.

Another example of the noble savagerer theory in practice would be if some raw Paleo dieter reported improved dental health after adding bone broths to his diet (I'm not saying anyone experienced this, this is just a hypothetical example) and the noble savagerer proponent disregarded the success and responded by saying something along the lines of "No one should eat bone broth because it's heated and Stone agers didn't cook their food until ___ years ago and no wild animal cooks its food."

For people like me, ZC is an absolute disaster.
That's irrelevent to what I wrote. You're off on a tangent about your own experience with a diet that no HG society has ever been observed engaging in over the longer run, not addressing actual HG evidence. Even the Inuits didn't traditionally restrict themselves to zero carbs. The lowest figure I've seen yet for any Inuit group was 1% carbs, and that was after the introduction of some modern imported foods. Plus, the Inuit had access to certain special foods that we moderners don't that some scientists and knowledgeable commentators have hypothesized may have been part of the key to their relative low carb success. Besides, most cooked Paleo diet gurus also do not advocate very low carb diets and Cordain's team even removed the Inuit data from the HG evidence, because they thought it was too much an outlier and don't recommend it for people today, including in the very report that Löwenherz linked to above. So you could hardly be more irrelevant.

Also another point is that HG tribes usually  had to make nasty compromises with their diets just in order to survive(such as eating tubers instead of less-accessible meats etc.)
As I've reported in this forum before, according to the latest science, hominins have been eating tubers and roots since at least Australopithecus, millions of years ago, and even chimps have been observed digging up and eating tubers, so this is more irrelevancy, as Stone Agers ate tubers too.

so it would be the height of stupidity to just blindly copy their diets.
Irrelevant yet again. Most of the cooked Paleo diet gurus warn against blind re-enactment and I didn't argue for blindly copying HG diets any more than you argued for blindly copying pre-cooking Stone Age diets that no one has ever observed, so you're completely off course from any point I made. Refuting straw men is a lot easier than addressing people's actual points.

As for so-called paleolithic diet "success", the studies on that diet tend to show some benefits(more usually only alleviations of certain conditions/diseases rather than all-out cures) and the alleviated diseases/illnesses are usually mainly only "modern" ones like type 2 diabetes or auto-immune diseases.
You're of course conveniently ignoring the other diseases and disorders I listed. No surprise there. Of course they're going to tend to be "modern" diseases, as that's what Tanchou's "diseases of civilization" hypothesis and Boyd Eaton's hypothesis of "biological discordance" are all about--that modern foods are a factor in modern diseases and disorders. Are you not aware of that?

Also, I've been on plenty of cooked-palaeodiet forums in the past as well as raw food diet forums, and have noticed that while the raw food diet forums(even raw vegan forums as regards people only a few months into RV) all routinely had glowing testimonials about recovering from multiple unusual diseases(I've even come across claims by some people of no longer getting symptoms of a particular genetic disease as a result of going RVAF!), the testimonials from the cooked-palaeolithic diet forums were far fewer and pretty pathetic.
More hyperbole, and it's not at all childish to point out that fact. Your assessment is more negative than what I've observed and I've observed raw Paleo, raw vegan, cooked Paleo, cooked zero carb, cooked facultative carnivore, and cooked vegetarian forums, as well as the experiences of myself and friends, relatives and acquaintences who have tried cooked Paleo. I recommend that anyone who thinks Tyler's propaganda might not be exaggerating to go check out Robb Wolf's success story archive, for example. You seem to see only what you want to see, Tyler.

For most RVAFers, they report that going raw resulted in most of their health-problems disappearing whereas cooked-palaeolithic diets merely provided perhaps 10% of the answer to their improved health, at best.
Multiple people have told a different story, including Lex Rooker and myself and others here in this very forum, yet you go on like we never said anything. No doubt some don't even speak up because they don't wish to be harrassed by you, as some former members of this forum have complained. Plus, limiting yourself to just the reports of RVAFers who report at RVAF forums is a ridiculously unscientific, biased approach. We represent much less than one tenth of one percent of the world's population. Why don't you try making these claims at cooked Paleo and other dietary forums and blogs and see how many people agree with you? Every dietary forum has plenty of "Our approach is best" back-slapping and yes-men agreement. It's hardly solid proof of anything. I do think our forum has more positive reports overall than most other dietary forums, but it's not 100% success and your portrayal of cooked Paleo forums is ridiculously negative. Have you ever tried to claim at Paleofood or the Caveman forum or one of the blogs, like Mark Sisson's or Robb Wolf's that cooked Paleo only provides minor improvements and nowhere near what rawness offers, instead of just preaching to the converted? I think you'd find a lot of disagreement. And again, we'll have to agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:37:50 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:49:27 am »
Ridiculous spitefulness resorted to when you disagree with and can't refute what someone says, such as your use of the exaggerated language, "highly flawed," without even bothering to compare it to anything. Pale diet gurus and research are usually comparing HG diets to SAD, not to some ideal of perfection from some noble savagerer theory notions of pre-cooking Stone Age days (if using data from HG's who did any cooking is somehow part of "the noble savage theory," then claims without evidence that some pre-cooking Stone Age diet of your imagination must be even better might be called "the noble savagerer theory," since you're harkening back to even more "savage" earlier days). To call HG diets that in the usual context of comparison to SAD or no context at all is hyperbole.
You are, of course, the only one here spouting pure b*llsh*t and  lying like a trooper, as well, about my views.

First off, I have no real interest in the past before HG diets,  and rely on modern scientific evidence to prove my points, mainly, as well as anecdotal evidence from RVAFers and others. So your claim that I myself have a Noble-Savage notion re pre-cooking palaeolithic times is not just an outrageous lie but particularly stupid. And I have already provided plenty of evidence that modern HG diets had serious flaws in them which have failed many, many RVAFers such as the HG preference for cooked foods with all the heat-created toxins therein, the fermented grains, the emphasis on nutrient-free tubers in order to avoid famine, and I have provided endless refs to endless scientific studies which prove my points, and then there's the multiple anecdotal evidence from RVAFers etc. re the lack of success of HG diets and components therein. I mean, comparing HG diets to junk-food diets is pretty pathetic when one considers that junk food diets are so bad that almost any slightly less processed diet is better than that, regardless of how ineffective most of these other diets might be.
That's irrelevent to what I wrote. You're off on a tangent about your own experience with a diet that no HG society has ever been observed engaging in over the longer run, not addressing actual HG evidence. Even the Inuits didn't traditionally restrict themselves to zero carbs. The lowest figure I've seen yet for any Inuit group was 1% carbs, and that was after the introduction of some modern imported foods. Plus, the Inuit had access to certain special foods that we moderners don't that some scientists and knowledgeable commentators have hypothesized may have been part of the key to their relative low carb success. Besides, most cooked Paleo diet gurus also do not advocate very low carb diets and Cordain's team even removed the Inuit data from the HG evidence, because they thought it was too much an outlier and don't recommend it for people today, including in the very report that Löwenherz linked to above. So you could hardly be more irrelevant.
Not irrelevant at all. For one thing, I get the distinct impression that the Inuit diet generally only included plants in the summer season so they were zero-carb the rest of the year. But let's suppose you can find evidence of an exception(should you take the time to do some basic research to back up your claims), there still remains the fact that I and some others don't do that well on RVLC either. In my case, my physical performance  on <2% carbs goes way down, for example. Plus, ZC is a pretty important variation of cooked-palaeolithic diets, not a tiny minority any more.
As I've reported in this forum before, according to the latest science, hominins have been eating tubers and roots since at least Australopithecus, millions of years ago, and even chimps have been observed digging up and eating tubers, so this is more irrelevancy, as Stone Agers ate tubers too.
You are, as usual, completely missing the point. I never stated that just because hominids ate a particular food before 250,000 years ago, that they must be adapted to it. That's lame, cooked-palaeolithic-diet thinking. Somewhat ironically, you yourself debunked this sort of notion with your past point re pandas not being adapted to their diet of bamboo even after millions of years. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for going against your own past principles just in a failed attempt to win an argument with me.
Irrelevant yet again. Most of the cooked Paleo diet gurus warn against blind re-enactment and I didn't argue for blindly copying HG diets any more than you argued for blindly copying pre-cooking Stone Age diets that no one has ever observed, so you're completely off course from any point I made. Refuting straw men is a lot easier than addressing people's actual points.
Not irrelevant since many palaeolithic diet gurus routinely subscribe to the Noble-Savage theory and hold up HG tribes as embodiments of perfection. Ron Hoggan of the PaleoFood list is one notorious example thereof but there are plenty others who are noble-savage adherents to a lesser extent, simply because there is more (albeit flawed) data about modern HGs than there is of palaeo HGs.
Of course they're going to tend to be "modern" diseases, as that's what Tanchou's "diseases of civilization" hypothesis and Boyd Eaton's hypothesis of "biological discordance" are all about--that modern foods are a factor in modern diseases and disorders. Are you not aware of that?
The whole point is that such diseases are only a small part of the diseases/health-problems that humans have which wild animals on natural, raw diets don't. As I have already pointed out there are a hefty amount of diseases/health-problems which studies have shown are directly linked to the amounts of heat-created toxins in a human body. A cooked, palaeolithic diet may have fewer of those toxins(if the relevant dieters believe in HG-style slow-cooking etc.) but it can't properly solve health-problems caused by such heat-created toxins.
More hyperbole, and it's not at all childish to point out that fact. Your assessment is more negative than what I've observed and I've observed raw Paleo, raw vegan, cooked Paleo, cooked zero carb, cooked facultative carnivore, and cooked vegetarian forums,
Pure b*ll. I have seen plenty of these cooked-palaeo forums, and while they do sometimes report some success with a few auto-immune diseases, they usually merely report slight alleviations of such diseases, and my own contact on- and off-line with other RVAFers and people who've tried other cooked diets(cooked-palaeo or otherwise) indicates far, far bigger success on a RVAF diet, even non-palaeo ones than on cooked-palaeolithic diets. The irony is that, technically, the cooked-palaeolithic diet theory sounds a hell of a lot better than RVAF diets(even rawpalaeo), if only on the surface,  but, in actual practice, it often turns out to be a waste of time re health.
Multiple people have told a different story, including Lex Rooker and myself and others here in this very forum, yet you go on like we never said anything. No doubt some don't even speak up because they don't wish to be harrassed by you, as some former members of this forum have complained. Plus, limiting yourself to just the reports of RVAFers who report at RVAF forums is a ridiculously unscientific, biased approach. We represent much less than one tenth of one percent of the world's population. Why don't you try making these claims at cooked Paleo and other dietary forums and blogs and see how many people agree with you? Every dietary forum has plenty of "Our approach is best" back-slapping and yes-men agreement. It's hardly solid proof of anything. I do think our forum has more positive reports overall than most other dietary forums, but it's not 100% success and your portrayal of cooked Paleo forums is ridiculously negative. Have you ever tried to claim at Paleofood or the Caveman forum or one of the blogs, like Mark Sisson's or Robb Wolf's that cooked Paleo only provides minor improvements and nowhere near what rawness offers, instead of just preaching to the converted? I think you'd find a lot of disagreement. And again, we'll have to agree to disagree.
That would be stupid. In the past, I have often provided endless scientific data to back up my claims re raw, palaeolithic diets being far more effective than cooked, palaeolithic diets. And those on the other side would routinely just spout b*ll without any added scientific references, because they felt I had somehow violated their "religion" - besides, it makes more sense for me to read the occasional pro-cooked-palaeo testimonials that come up, as they are far more likely to be authentic than biased, imaginary rubbish dreamed up by people on the spur of the moment purely in answer to my challenge.  As regards people on this forum, there have been only a tiny few who have suggested that they only benefitted slightly from raw foods as opposed to cooked-palaeo - and you can't pretend that my presence scared off the others, since I had no problem with Lex and the other one or two posters making that claim. Interestingly, so far the tiny, tiny few who have made such claims have all been from the tiny RZC minority, (with you being slightly less RZC in recent times, presumably, in a dubious, rather cynical attempt to not seem too fanatical re diet). Also, it's rather telling that a significant proportion of members come to RVAF diets or the raw, palaeolithic diet precisely because cooked, palaeolithic diets failed to give them any health-benefits or only a very few.

As regards your previous, appalling tuber-comment, "May God have mercy on your soul". You should hang your head in shame.

Addendum:- What really disgusts me re the above comments of yours and elsewhere is your clear need for "guru-worship". I mean, ever since the Enlightenment, it has been considered more sane to not believe in some "higher power", but to just rely on one's own intuition and other reports from the general public. Citing Robb Wolff or Vitalis or whoever as though they were your personal "gods" is pretty silly. Whatever the case, I am glad that I take the effort to routinely debunk gurus like Aajonus while (usually)accepting that they all have something of value somewhere in their writings. It sets a good example.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:27:04 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:06:47 am »
I wonder what this forum looks like to someone who isn't already numb to health forum trolling? I can't imagine it would feel very inviting...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:37:32 am »
You are, of course, the only one here spouting pure b*llsh*t and  lying like a trooper, as well, about my views.

First off, I have no real interest in the past before HG diets,  and rely on modern scientific evidence to prove my points, mainly, as well as anecdotal evidence from RVAFers and others.
Applying your own language to your extreme extrapolations from data on lab animals and modern peoples (which the scientists themselves who conducted the studies don't make and would probably consider unscientific) as somehow strong evidence in favor of pre-cooking Stone Age purely raw diets is no more outrageous than your own claims directed at me and others for daring to mention at times scientific evidence on and observations of HG and traditional populations as somehow motivated by or promoting a vague "noble savage theory". 

Let's face it, the diet you promote is even more ancient and therefore more "savage" than the cooked Paleo diet you frequently deride and you twist the studies with all sorts of contortions to try to make them appear as if they go beyond the actual written conclusions to support your fully raw diet notions. No one has yet conducted a controlled study that compares people on a raw Paleo diet vs. a cooked Paleo diet, so much of your claims are based on speculation, references to wild animals (who are even more "savage" and pristine-pure than current HGs or Stone Age HGs) and ideology. I think the raw Paleo diet would win, but it's not scientific to jump to that conclusion yet (see Matt Lalonde's presentation).

there's the multiple anecdotal evidence from RVAFers etc. re the lack of success of HG diets
And there's much more anecdotal of people experiencing benefits on HG-type diets, as I've already documented.

I mean, comparing HG diets to junk-food diets is pretty pathetic....
The SAD is what most Americans eat today, so it's typically what other diets are compared to in studies and it's relevant in any dietary analysis for the USA and any nation that eats a similar diet, and it's the most common diet that cooked Paleos switch to, so of course it's relevant to many cooked Paleos and people in the USA and likely Europe too. Surely even you recognize that.

the Inuit diet generally only included plants in the summer season....
Again with the Inuit canard. As was already pointed out to you, Cordain's team removed their data in the above research and most cooked Paleo diet advocates don't advocate an Inuit-type diet. So you're wasting your time tilting at windmills.

I never stated that just because hominids ate a particular food before 250,000 years ago, that they must be adapted to it. That's lame, cooked-palaeolithic-diet thinking.  Somewhat ironically, you yourself debunked this sort of notion with your past point re pandas not being adapted to their diet of bamboo even after millions of years.
It's not ironic, because I disagree with that notion, and as you (ironically) pointed out, I refuted it, and I even noted in my very last post that cooked-Paleo-diet advocate Matt Lalonde argued against that sort of thinking. I can tell that you haven't watched his presentation.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for going against your own past principles just in a failed attempt to win an argument with me.
Patently false.  The shame is all yours.

Not irrelevant since many palaeolithic diet gurus routinely subscribe to the Noble-Savage theory and hold up HG tribes as embodiments of perfection. Ron Hoggan of the PaleoFood list is one notorious example thereof but there are plenty others who are noble-savage adherents to a lesser extent, simply because there is more (albeit flawed) data about modern HGs than there is of palaeo HGs.
I suspect Ron would disagree with you on this. Have you asked him at Paleofood if he supports this thing you call a noble savage theory? Any other examples beyond Ron? You still haven't addressed the fact that Matt Lalonde (as well as Dr. Kurt Harris and other cooked Paleos) have argued against the very things you claim "many" cooked paleo diet gurus promote.

It's quite true that scientists know way more about recent HGs than about pre-cooking HGs. Why do you say "simply because"? Do you consider that fact irrelevant? Multiple people here have mentioned that we can't know with clarity what ancient Stone Agers ate and seem to consider this a relevant fact. In contrast, scientists can directly observe today's HGs and see what they are eating. I thought you had at least a modicum of respect for Cordain. Do you think he would waste time with the HG data if it was irrelevant?

The whole point is that such diseases are only a small part of the diseases/health-problems that humans have which wild animals on natural, raw diets don't.
You already pointed out that wild animals have just as much cancer as cooked foodists, did you not? So rawness apparently doesn't help with at least cancers, in your view, correct? Are you claiming that raw Paleo will cure even more diseases than the diseases of civilization, including substantially more than cooked Paleo can? If so, could you please name some of them?

to the amounts of heat-created toxins in a human body. A cooked, palaeolithic diet may have fewer of those toxins(if the relevant dieters believe in HG-style slow-cooking etc.) but it can't properly solve health-problems caused by such heat-created toxins. Pure b*ll.
Good scientists are not in the habit of assuming things "can't" be. Science involves investigating to find out whether things can be or not. With those statements, you're leaving science and entering the land of idealistic speculation that you decry in others.

I have seen plenty of these cooked-palaeo forums, and while they do sometimes report some success with a few auto-immune diseases, they usually merely report slight alleviations of such diseases,
Again, try making these claims of the poor to mediocre results from cooked Paleo in those forums instead of here, and we'll see what response you generate. Ranting about it here is hardly convincing. You can point me to the link. I'd be interested to see it.

I have often provided endless scientific data to back up my claims re raw, palaeolithic diets being far more effective than cooked, palaeolithic diets.
Sometimes when I have looked at your cited sources, they don't fully support your claims. Let's not rehash that, though. We can agree to disagree on the extent of the conclusions you've drawn, since I agree that there is decent evidence for harm from cooking, especially certain forms of cooking, I just don't carry it to the extremes that you do.

And those on the other side would routinely just spout b*ll without any added scientific references
Yes, I give you credit for at least looking up and sharing the studies and at least reading some of the abstracts and perhaps more, and I do agree with you that the cooked Paleos tend to dismiss without good reason the evidence on cooking vs. raw and types of cooking. I just don't think it helps our case when you carry it further into giving the impression that the Paleo aspect of raw Paleo (ie, the choice of foods eaten) contributes very little and that cooked Paleos have experienced very little in the way of benefits when they've switched to it from the SAD, and when you come across like you're speaking for all of our experiences, when yours is quite different from mine, Lex's and others.

and you can't pretend that my presence scared off the others
I have read in private PMs from other people and in their posts in other forums that you basically did scare them off or they went silent and gave up on trying to discuss with you, because they found it fruitless, and another person at a forum advised others not to waste time bothering to debate you. I suspect there may be still others who haven't spoken up, though I don't know that for sure, of course. Usually when some people complain there are many more who are silent, but we can't know for sure, of course.

, since I had no problem with Lex and the other one or two posters making that claim. Interestingly, so far the tiny, tiny few who have made such claims have all been from the tiny RZC minority,
Because the Paleosphere is divided into raw and cooked camps, the people who think that rawness is the biggest factor are of course going to self-select themselves to this forum. To hear from the people who don't think rawness is uber important, you'd need to survey the cooked Paleo and cooked LC forums.

I've noticed that a number of the people who claim that rawness is the key come from other raw or mostly-raw diets, where they assumed that most of their benefit was from going raw, such as raw vegan and raw Primal. As Denise Minger and others have pointed out, by going raw and/or vegan, they also eliminate many of the nonPaleo foods, like grains. So there are confounding variables they aren't taking into account when they assume that most or all the benefit came from rawness (or eliminating meat, for that matter).

(with you being slightly less RZC in recent times, presumably, in a dubious, rather cynical attempt to not seem too fanatical re diet).
What utter dross. And you complain about childishness?

Also, it's rather telling that a significant proportion of members come to RVAF diets or the raw, palaeolithic diet precisely because cooked, palaeolithic diets failed to give them any health-benefits or only a very few.
Don't worry, I'm not arguing that cooked Paleo is just as good as raw, just that you're going overboard, like with these juvenile theatrics:

As regards your previous, appalling tuber-comment, "May God have mercy on your soul".

Addendum:- What really disgusts me re the above comments of yours and elsewhere is your clear need for "guru-worship". I mean, ever since the Enlightenment, it has been considered more sane to not believe in some "higher power", but to just rely on one's own intuition and other reports from the general public. Citing Robb Wolff or Vitalis or whoever as though they were your personal "gods" is pretty silly.
You're either lying or acting imbecilic here. I suspect the former, since I don't consider you that dense. I don't consider them my personal gods, nor worship them, any more than you do when you mention or quote Cordain or some other prominent person or any of their work.

Let me get this straight, when you cite anecdotal evidence from this forum or your Yahoo forum, where you are effectively one of the top gurus, that is good evidence, but when I point out that others like Robb Wolff have also cited success stories and even listed them in a convenient archive for anyone to check (which gives me the idea that we should do the same here), then I'm supposed to believe that that is guru worship? Does that mean that if I cited your report of anecdotal evidence, then I would be worshipping you?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:02:18 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:38:20 am »
I wonder what this forum looks like to someone who isn't already numb to health forum trolling? I can't imagine it would feel very inviting...
  Somewhat highly dubious and seriously hypocritical a comment, since, for various well-thought-out past reasons, you yourself have been previously accused of being a troll.

At any rate, the whole point of this forum is to give an opportunity for those who've failed on virtually all other diets(other than perhaps Breatharianism), to have another chance at trying something wholly different from all those other;, less successful, dietary ideas.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:01 am »
Quote from: Eric on Today at 07:06:47 pm
Tyler wrote: Somewhat highly dubious and seriously hypocritical a comment, since, for various well-thought-out past reasons, you yourself have been previously accused of being a troll.
Not good, based on that reply, LOL  Point taken. I was planning on wrapping it up soon, and I guess this is a good indicator for sooner than later. I was almost going to suggest to Tyler the old idiom that he could attract more flies with honey, but then I realized how futile that would be.

I think by almost constantly ridiculing the contribution of the "Paleo" part of "raw Paleo," Tyler may turn off people from here who have had a modicum of success with cooked Paleo and are looking for something still better. I think that in part because I was one of those people he turned off and it probably delayed my trying raw Paleo. If it hadn't been for Lex's more reasonable posts here and at another forum, I might not have joined this forum. So my purpose was to add some cooked Paleo success story resources that Tyler keeps giving the impression don't exist and offer a counterpoint to Tyler's extreme views, and I think I've managed that, so I'll try to wrap it up and try not to take the bait of his insults much more.

And to try to offer a more conciliatory note, I nonetheless think that Tyler does provide some value to this forum, with his long experience with raw Paleo and the materials he looks up and posts.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
Ray peat says that all this enzyme talk is an overblown hype shit and our bodies are well capable in manufacturing those digestive enzymes by it's own.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:54:46 am »
Applying your own language to your extreme extrapolations from data on lab animals and modern peoples (which the scientists themselves who conducted the studies don't make and would probably consider unscientific) as somehow strong evidence in favor of pre-cooking Stone Age purely raw diets is no more outrageous than your own claims directed at me and others for daring to mention at times scientific evidence on and observations of HG and traditional populations as somehow motivated by or promoting a vague "noble savage theory". 
*edit* The spectacular disingenuousness etc. on your part is amazing. The fact that I use modern scientific studies which prove, beyond doubt, that heat-created toxins are a problem for human health is damning against your claims. The fact that there is no scientific study comparing rawpalaeodiets to cooked, palaeodiets is completely irrelevant. That is solely due to retarded health-and-safety regulations which forbid scientific studies to be done on those eating raw meat diets. So far, as a result, there have only been a tiny few studies done on raw dairy consumption, that's about it.
And there's much more anecdotal of people experiencing benefits on HG-type diets, as I've already documented.
  The trouble is that such "anecdotal" evidence is very sparse and only covers very minor health-issues, for the most part. RVAF diets have far better anecdotal reports re health-recovery.

Now you're just ranting nonsense. The SAD is what most Americans eat today, so it's typically what other diets are compared to in studies and it's relevant in any dietary analysis for the USA and any nation that eats a similar diet, and it's the most common diet that cooked Paleos switch to, so of course it's relevant to many cooked Paleos and people in the USA and likely Europe too. Surely even you recognize that.
I made a very pertinent point, that junk-food diets are so very bad for human-health that even minor, crappy diets that involve slightly less processing than junk-food diets, such as cooked, palaeolithic diets, are  "less worse" than junk-food diets, without necessarily being any good at all.
Again with the Inuit canard. As was already pointed out to you, Cordain's team removed their data in the above research and most cooked Paleo diet advocates don't advocate an Inuit-type diet. So you're wasting your time tilting at windmills.
Pure hypocrisy there. I mean, when you want to promote the idea of Noble-Savagery(despite pretending not to in the past) you can't very well arbitrarily, for no valid reason,  eliminate the Inuit Diet from all the other HG diets. That would involve pure hypocrisy.
It's not ironic, because I disagree with that notion, and as you (ironically) pointed out, I refuted it, and I even noted in my very last post that cooked-Paleo-diet advocate Matt Lalonde argued against that sort of thinking. I can tell that you haven't watched his presentation.
It is ironic, since you previously advocated the panda/giant panda theory, yet, hypocritically, falsely accused me of this very notion. As for Matt LaLonde, forgive me, it seems I have not paid sufficient reverence/prayer to this other dietary guru of yours, who you clearly worship, among others.
A blatant lie.  The shame is all yours.
No lie, I'm just accusing you, rightfully, of hypocrisy.
I suspect Ron would disagree with you on this. Have you asked him at Paleofood if he supports this thing you call a noble savage theory? Any other examples beyond Ron? You still haven't addressed the fact that Matt Lalonde (as well as Dr. Kurt Harris and other cooked Paleos) have argued against the very things you claim "many" cooked paleo diet gurus promote.

It's quite true that scientists know way more about recent HGs than about pre-cooking HGs. Why do you say "simply because"? Do you consider that fact irrelevant? Multiple people here have mentioned that we can't know with clarity what ancient Stone Agers ate and seem to consider this a relevant fact. In contrast, scientists can directly observe today's HGs and see what they are eating. I thought you had at least a modicum of respect for Cordain. Do you think he would waste time with the HG data if it was irrelevant?

Ron Hoggan went apeshit when I mentioned in passing that the Noble Savage theory was bunk, and that life was "nasty, brutish, and short" for tribes then. Just because I dared to suggest that HG tribes were not perfect, he decided to go all passive-aggresive, to a more extreme level than you usually do, and refused to read or reply to any of my future posts. Grudgingly, after many months, he seems to have changed this rule, only because, likely, he realised that he seemed a petty little child as a result. As for Cordain, his childish remarks re modern HGs have far less worth than the scientific data he has on palaeo HGs. The fact that there is more data on more modern HGs than palaeo HGs does not, remotely, discount the latter data on palaeo HGs, which has more worth, scientifically.
You already pointed out that wild animals have just as much cancer as cooked foodists, did you not? So rawness apparently doesn't help with at least cancers, in your view, correct? Are you claiming that raw Paleo will cure even more diseases than the diseases of civilization, including substantially more than cooked Paleo can? If so, could you please name some of them?
  I made a good number of examples in the raw foodism page in the "potential harmful effects of cooked diets" section. And being ethical, unlike some sick pro-cooked-palaeolithic-diet gurus, I don't pretend that raw, palaeolithic diets will automatically protect against all diseases, even cancer.
Good scientists are not in the habit of assuming things "can't" be. Science involves investigating to find out whether things can be or not. With those statements, you're leaving science and entering the land of idealistic speculation that you decry in others.
B*llsh*t again. I have shown again and again, via endless refs, that scientific data shows that many health-problems are improved if the amounts of diet-derived heat-created toxins in the body were reduced. So your arguments are disproven.
Again, try making these claims of the poor to mediocre results from cooked Paleo in those forums instead of here, and we'll see what response you generate. Ranting about it here is hardly convincing. You can point me to the link. I'd be interested to see it.
Again, like I said before, this would be highly stupid since any rebuttals would, of necessity, be damage-control of a dubious nature. I might even get banned. Far better to wait and get genuine, honest testimonials on the very rare occasions they do appear.
Sometimes when I have looked at your cited sources, they don't fully support your claims. Let's not rehash that, though. We can agree to disagree on the extent of the conclusions you've drawn, since I agree that there is decent evidence for harm from cooking, especially certain forms of cooking, I just don't carry it to the extremes that you do.
The B*llsh*t factor again, on your part. The amount of evidence I cite re scientific studies is way too great to honestly debunk. I mean, by now, there are tens of thousands of studies done on the harmful effect of advanced glycation end products, for example, so this is pure dishonesty on your part.
Yes, I give you credit for at least looking up and sharing the studies and at least reading some of the abstracts and perhaps more, and I do agree with you that the cooked Paleos tend to dismiss without good reason the evidence on cooking vs. raw and types of cooking. I just don't think it helps our case when you carry it further into giving the impression that the Paleo aspect of raw Paleo (ie, the choice of foods eaten) contributes very little and that cooked Paleos have experienced very little in the way of benefits when they've switched to it from the SAD, and when you come across like you're speaking for all of our experiences, when yours is quite different from mine, Lex's and others.
  The big problem with the above is that most RVAFers' experiences on this and any other RVAF forum are not in line with Lex's, yours' or the very few others' experiences. So your argument is  invalid.
I have read in private PMs from other people and in their posts in other forums that you basically did scare them off or they went silent and gave up on trying to discuss with you, because they found it fruitless, and another person at a forum advised others not to waste time bothering to debate you. I suspect there may be still others who haven't spoken up, though I don't know that for sure, of course. Usually when some people complain there are many more who are silent, but we can't know for sure, of course.
I strongly suspect this is a sudden, false invention on your part. The most obvious reason being that, given a multitude of reports on other RVAF diet forums, most rawists are , at least partially, if not wholly, in line with my particular ideology, and most being wholly opposed to the foolish notion that cooked, palaeolithic diets(or any other cooked diets) have any value at all, healthwise.
Because the Paleosphere is divided into raw and cooked camps, the people who think that rawness is the biggest factor are of course going to self-select themselves to this forum. To hear from the people who don't think rawness is uber important, you'd need to survey the cooked Paleo and cooked LC forums.

I've noticed that a number of the people who claim that rawness is the key come from other raw or mostly-raw diets, where they assumed that most of their benefit was from going raw, such as raw vegan and raw Primal. As Denise Minger and others have pointed out, by going raw and/or vegan, they also eliminate many of the nonPaleo foods, like grains. So there are confounding variables they aren't taking into account when they assume that most or all the benefit came from rawness (or eliminating meat, for that matter).

The big trouble with this specious false assumption of yours is that the difference between raw and cooked is way, way bigger than the difference between palaeo- and non-palaeo. With the latter, there is only an issue of an omission of certain foods, whereas, with raw vs cooked, raw foods benefit from the addition of bacteria and enzymes as well. When one further takes into account that raw foods benefit from not having heat-created toxins in them, then cooked-palaeo foods  are demonstrated to be very poor, healthwise by comparison. The only problem with raw, non-palaeo foods is that they don't provide "complete nutrients", thus eventually leading to nutrional deficiencies over a long period of time. By contrast, cooked-palaeodiet foods can cause problems from the very start.
What utter dross. And you complain about childishness?
I am merely pointing out that, ever since I caught you out defending the retarded Noble-Savage theory, you tried to back-pedal and pretend that you weren't a fanatic.
You're either lying or acting imbecilic here. I suspect the former, since I don't consider you that dense. I don't consider them my personal gods, nor worship them, any more than you do when you mention or quote Cordain or some other prominent person or any of their work.
[/quote] The big difference between you and me is that I mention gurus on a much rarer basis than you, and when I do, my praise is often intermixed with criticism of such. I have simply come across too many seriously flawed gurus for me to have much faith in them. Yet many dieters insist on "following the faith".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:50:55 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:13 am »
Ray peat says that all this enzyme talk is an overblown hype shit and our bodies are well capable in manufacturing those digestive enzymes by it's own.
  Howell and others have pointed out that ray Peat's ideas are horsesh*t. They point out that enzymes take c. 30 minutes before they end up in the lower stomach and get destroyed, enough time for them to carry out their functions a little bit. Alphagruis also pointed out that the body''s enzymes are designed to deal with raw foods, not cooked foods, since cooked foods are too denatured. What this means is that the body has to create way more enzymes in order to deal with cooked foods properly, so that the body's pancreas gland gets overworked and destroyed partially. This is why older people benefit a lot from taking extra enzyme supplements with their foods, as their pancreas has more or less been ruined.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:10:16 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:21 am »
For the record, I should state that, at other times, I was attacked, in the past by Primal Dieters,  for daring to suggest that raw wasn't enough for health and that palaeo was also necessary. So, I don't appreciate it when pro-palaeo fanatics also try to fanatically denounce the pro-raw contribution. In my own case and some others, the raw aspect was the most important part(c.90%). For a few others like Lex, it may have been as little as 10% worth, but, on average, they are both equally important, overall.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:40 am »
And I forgot to mention Tyler's moderator duty contribution. It's positive contributions like that that I try to keep in mind at times like these. I think it's time to chill for a bit, so I'll defer further response to Tyler for tomorrow or later.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:37:31 am by PaleoPhil »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:47 am »
I think the long-term concerns, Phil, are two-fold--

1.  We're the only ones doing long-term all-raw (or nearly all-raw) paleo, and so we are doing a great service by actually gathering all this data.  What we are doing is very useful, because far more people have done and are currently doing long-term cooked paleo. We are the only ones creating a contrasting data set for comparison.

2. Cooked food probably has differing levels of negative effect on different people.  In SOME cases, the effects may take decades to show up, and may be very difficult to reverse.

Also, I've seen LOTS of success stories on raw vegan, probably as many as you've seen on cooked paleo.  What about combining those two?  It can't hurt.

I say everyone owes themselves at least 3-4 months of all-raw, just to see how much better they feel. It's worth the experiment, in my view.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:46 am »
Agreed on all points, Cherimoya. Thanks a million for your wonderfully reasonable post.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:33:30 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 08:38:15 pm »

People might think that a diet based on raw animal fats makes our life nasty and brutish again, at least on a verbal level.

But what is the cause of overheated discussions?

Irritability and angriness.

In my case it's caused by red meat and fat from domesticated animals.

Löwenherz

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:24 pm »
People might think that a diet based on raw animal fats makes our life nasty and brutish again, at least on a verbal level.

But what is the cause of overheated discussions?

Irritability and angriness.

In my case it's caused by red meat and fat from domesticated animals.

Löwenherz
Not everything has a dietary origin. In fact it is this type of reasoning that makes a lot of serious people frown upon our community. Some people just cannot let go regardless of diet.
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »
Let's face it, the diet you promote is even more ancient and therefore more "savage" than the cooked Paleo diet you frequently deride and you twist the studies with all sorts of contortions to try to make them appear as if they go beyond the actual written conclusions to support your fully raw diet notions.

The funny thing here is:

"We can't know with clarity what ancient stone agers ate."   YES.

But we know for sure that Tyler's raw paleo diet definetely NEVER EXISTED in ANY cold region on this planet.

Why? Simply because there was no fruit.

Löwenherz

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:25 pm »
Virtually every place in the world has some fruit available during one season or another. What would be lacking in climates with cold winters is fruit available year-round, or in sizable quantities.

The Paleo Diet as currently practiced (including one based on raw foods) is an artifact of the fossil fueled era where we have the energy subsidies to ship select foods from the four corners of the Earth to anywhere people can afford them. If we didn't have these fossil fuels, I suspect the diet of everyone on this forum would look radically different.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk