Author Topic: LA Times: All Red Meat is Bad for You  (Read 4859 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
LA Times: All Red Meat is Bad for You
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:20:42 am »
According to an study that was discussed in the LA Times, all red meat is bad for you.

From the article:

But Pan said the bottom line was that there was no amount of red meat that's good for you.
Previous studies had associated red meat consumption with diabetes, heart disease and cancer, all of which can be fatal. Scientists aren't sure exactly what makes red meat so dangerous, but the suspects include the iron and saturated fat in beef, pork and lamb, the nitrates used to preserve them, and the chemicals created by high-temperature cooking.
Additionally, Ornish said, "What's good for you is also good for the planet."

What's comical is that all three health concerns (discussed above) are moot when one consumes wild/naturally-raised meats, fresh meat, and one does not cook meat.  l)

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: LA Times: All Red Meat is Bad for You
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:51 am »
"Carol Koprowski, a professor of preventive medicine at USC's Keck School of Medicine who wasn't involved in the research, cautioned that it can be hard to draw specific conclusions from a study like this because there can be a lot of error in the way diet information is recorded in food frequency questionnaires, which ask subjects to remember past meals in sometimes grueling detail."
Cheers
Al

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28:50 am »
Another flaw: the other foods that were eaten (refined carbohydrates and gluten, for example) were not mentioned in the article and possibly not in the article either.

This seems like bad research.

Offline whatever

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:48 pm »
Mja, I thought so to:
"110,000 adults for more than 20 years"
How can you ever control exactly what those 110.000 people eat over a period of 20 years.
Ofcourse this is american beef full of growth hormone and factory farmed. then processed to have a long shelf life, then cooked in semi-solid diesel. Really strange that you die from it.
These are 110.000 normal American people 50% is obese, smokes, drink no exercise. Totally bogus research, maybe if you follow the money you can link it to a vegetarian or environmental group. (b.t.w. Lots of negative about Americans in this little post sorry about that, you can change it to any random chosen western society, it's all the same).

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:29:21 pm »
(b.t.w. Lots of negative about Americans in this little post sorry about that, you can change it to any random chosen western society, it's all the same).
  Err, I have come across many unhealthy people from other Western societies, but none of them equalled or exceeded the utter horror I saw in the US, which involved seeing 19-year-old obese women who looked like they were 40-years old, and worse.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:57:00 pm »
Lots of negative about Americans in this little post sorry about that, you can change it to any random chosen western society, it's all the same.

No offense taken. As an American I can't argue against your assertion that the average person in my country takes dietary malfeasance to a ridiculous extreme. People allow themselves to be inundated by corporate media, which feeds them detrimental yet financially profitable dietary advice. A few of us are waking up, but precious few.

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:48:39 am »
Have you heard of the obesity paradox?
Basically, overweight and obese people have lower risk of death (or live longer) than people with normal weight. Extremely thin people have the highest risk. It's something like a Gaussian distribution that peaks at the heavier end of overweight.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:10:26 am »
Haven't heard of the obesity paradox. I don't buy it. Can you link to an article or other resource backing this claim up?

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 06:36:20 am »
No one buys it, as is the case with most paradoxes ;)
But statistically it's very strong, and so far no one has been able to explain why.
Please use google or bing..

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:09 am »
Number one contributor to obesity is high carb consumption; it's tough to become obese while getting most of your calories from protein or fat. So if the obesity paradox is true - if in fact people who exhibit symptoms of obesity live longer than those who do not - then high carb diets are necessarily healthier (if we measure health by longevity) than a low carb diet.

So much for the Paleo Diet, and by association a Raw Paleo Diet.

I guess we can all delete our accounts...

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:24 am »
Wow I'm not sure how you ruled out raw paleo just like that :) Some pretty fast calculations.

And I said overweight (BMI 25-30 I think) have a lower risk, obese people have a similar (or slightly lower) than those with a normal BMI.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:29:36 am »
All that statistical crap does not pertain to us Raw Paleo Diet and Lifestyle practitioners.

We are beyond the radar of those stats, we are beyond the imagination of those studies.

I look at ourselves as health hermits congregating together via the power of the internet.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 07:37:51 am »
All that statistical crap does not pertain to us Raw Paleo Diet and Lifestyle practitioners.
Yes, that's why I'm puzzled how Eric jumped to some high/low carb arguments and concluded raw paleo is no good.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:41:20 am »
I was being facetious.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk