Author Topic: Carbs and Spots (Acne)  (Read 7580 times)

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Carbs and Spots (Acne)
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:09:09 am »
I have been slowly working out that certain foods give me spotty skin. My skin is pretty good really but when I abstain from certain things it really clears up and looks it's best.

Seems that raw honey causes me to go spotty, and more recently I have noticed that fruit causes it too. Apples and Kiwis definitely make it worse. Haven't really done any experiments with other fruit. I have a feeling Banans might not be as bad, but I'm far from certain and feel they possibly still cause my skin to get worse.

I really seem best when I'm eating close to zero carb as possible. Just meat, animal fats, eggs and some coconut oil. I'm going to experiment with (raw goat) milk which I have drank a lot in the past. I have a feeling that milk doesn't actually cause much of an issue for my skin, despite the fact I've heard that it can for others, but I'll do some experiments and see.

I wanted to post it to see if anyone has any similar experiences and see what you people think, and if you have any advice.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: Carbs and Spots (Acne)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:48:18 am »
Seems that raw honey causes me to go spotty, and more recently I have noticed that fruit causes it too. Apples and Kiwis definitely make it worse. ....

I wanted to post it to see if anyone has any similar experiences and see what you people think, and if you have any advice.
Same here, basically. FWIW, in my experience I found that raw honey, apples, and bananas, oranges and other tropical fruits trigger mild acne outbreaks, whereas fermented raw honey, most berries, and fresh figs do not appear to in recent months (since adding fermented honey to my diet, I appear to be less sensitive to carb-triggered symptoms), at least not in moderate quantities. Years ago I found that zinc supplements reduced the acne and later I learned that very low carb cleared up the acne. I later confirmed zinc deficiency with a zinc tally test (it's just zinc dissolved in water at a certain ratio) documented as effective by scientific research. You might want to consider taking the test. Zinc tally liquids are sold at Amazon. They are not that expensive, but you can also make your own. There are instructions here, though they are not very well written: http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2003/11/16/do_your_own_zinc_level_testupdate.htm
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:06:33 am »
Hey thanks a lot for your response. I didn't know about the potential role of zinc in this, I will definitely take a tally test out of interest.

Offline letsdoiteczema

• Buffalo Hunter
  • Call me LDIE for short =)
    • View Profile
    • Healing from severe suicidal eczema
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:23:24 pm »
I have the exact same experience - more fruit causing acne and itchy skin on face and scalp; other symptoms include moderately chapped lips that nearly completely subsided after a day on zero carb (with couple tablespoons of raw honey - I stop eating when I feel a burn in my throat)

Raw unheated honey by "Y.S. Eco Bee Farms" brand available through iHerb.com does not trigger acne or itchy skin though.
Wishing everyone the best in health and happiness! much love to all!

My severe suicidal eczema healing blog: http://eczemabye.weebly.com/

Offline Bio-shell Avatar

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:44:59 pm »
i used to get light acne when i still consumed fruits (especially citrus fruits) but nowadays it still seems to be triggered occasionally if i eat too much protein. "too much" in my case is not a lot, however. for some reason my immune system reacts to foreign proteins this way, though not through any kind of allergic reaction, just the occasional pimple in the head area. in terms of protein i drink only about 1 liter kefir during the day and eat about 250g raw meat and 250g jogurt in the evening so it's not all that much. it could be the milk or it could be the raw meat (i already dropped raw eggs since they definitely made it worse) but if i drop the milk and meat as well i'll have to become a breatharian  ;D

i'll try the zinc supplement, though. i take 15mg occasionally but i never checked if there's any correlation between zinc intake and acne outbreak.

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 04:44:43 am »
Whatever phase I was going through or what was causing my acne at that time has gone away. I'm eating large quantities of honey at the moment (no fruit) and my skin is great. I did take a course of zinc supplement, and of course continued eating raw paleo for all this time.

Perhaps the zinc did help, though I'm sure eating a good raw paleo diet would fix zinc (or other) deficiencies by itself in time too. I believe lamb is a good source of zinc.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:20:00 am »
That's great news, Isthmus.

In my case, years ago I tried the standard 15 - 30 mg doses of zinc after reading about its connection to acne. Those doses were nowhere near enough to have any noticeable impact on my acne. At first I assumed this meant I wasn't zinc deficient, but later, in desperation, I tried higher doses and it helped. That's why I think a zinc tally test may be a good idea for people with stubborn acne, as it's difficult to know how much is needed otherwise.

Bear in mind that zinc depletes copper, so I buy a zinc supplement (Solaray Zinc Copper) that contains copper and is also chelated for bioavailability (which also helps prevent stomach upset), and I also try to eat zinc-rich raw Paleo foods, of course, but they are unfortunately still not quite enough at times, especially after some days of eating more fruit than usual, or occasionally when indulging in some mead or other alcoholic or sugary beverage, such as fruit juice (which I rarely bother with any more, as even unpasteurized fruit juice can trigger some zits for me, except for low-sugar types like lemon juice). Luckily, the zinc outbreaks are becoming increasingly rare and supplementation less necessary, but it has taken years of mostly-raw Paleo, not days or weeks.

Oddly enough, adding small amounts of fermented raw honey to the mix seemed to help, though it's difficult to tell how much. Maybe it has improved my ability to digest and absorb carby foods somewhat.

In my case, cooked meats have never triggered any acne breakouts, for whatever reason, but too much raw fruit can, especially certain ones, like the citrus fruits that were mentioned, even if I have no apparent allergic reaction to them (and allergies also wouldn't explain why unfermented raw honey and mead can trigger some zits for me, but not fermented raw honey).

I wish there were simple home tests for other minerals beyond zinc. Anyone know of any?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 07:02:21 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline snydercharles425

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:02 am »
Is dieting better with supplements?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:12 pm »
That's too broad a question. What do you mean by diet? And which supplements?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk