Author Topic: Evidence of Ice Age man scavenging from lions  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Lynnzard

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Evidence of Ice Age man scavenging from lions
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:18:49 am »
Although some of the grammar is a little sketchy, overall I found this article interesting. It details findings from an incredibly well preserved woolly mammoth, including signs that humans took lion kills for their own food.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9185081/Discovered-woolly-mammoth-with-strawberry-blonde-hair.html
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Evidence of Ice Age man scavenging from lions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:32:22 pm »
You know how incredible it would be to eat of that specimen? Internal organs intact n' everything?

I'm reminded of the ancient "bog butter" and tallow that was discovered well-preserved, as well as ancient well-preserved specimens of cannabis. Whats the chances of me gettin at that shit? Just a bite... you can take the rest to your lab and do all ur testins

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:46:44 am »
Lynn - I wish they had talked more about the human wounds - how they knew they were human - what kind they were - where they were and if humans took any of the animal to eat and which parts.

Humans took over the kill from a lion - fascinating. Now, THAT's a top predator!

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 01:21:16 am »
Confidence is everything. They had confidence and the lions sensed that. There's also a video on youtube of these African tribesmen taking a kill from a pack of lions, making them run off.

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 01:22:27 am »
I remember seeing a video of three African hunters walking right up to a pride of lions, hacking a leg off their kill, and traipsing off with it while the lions just watched. The looks on their faces.. it was "Wha? Did that really just happen?"

The hunters were interviewed about it and they said that you can't make a habit of it because you don't want the lions to realize what's going on, and that you can't walk up to them with any hint of fear - for the hunter, it has to be something you just do because you can, and you have to believe that the lions can do nothing about it.

Priceless.

EDIT: As I was typing this, Ferocious posted his ;)
insert signature here

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:04:34 am »
I remember seeing a video of three African hunters walking right up to a pride of lions, hacking a leg off their kill, and traipsing off with it while the lions just watched. The looks on their faces.. it was "Wha? Did that really just happen?"

The hunters were interviewed about it and they said that you can't make a habit of it because you don't want the lions to realize what's going on, and that you can't walk up to them with any hint of fear - for the hunter, it has to be something you just do because you can, and you have to believe that the lions can do nothing about it.

Priceless.

EDIT: As I was typing this, Ferocious posted his ;)
Yeah, that's the exact video I'm talking about!

Another example is wolverines. They are very small compared to bears and wolves, yet a lot of the time they steal their kills from them. It's quite funny!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:23:36 am by Ferocious »

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 03:23:22 am »
I suspect this is the video you're both referring to:

Human Planet- Stealing Meat from Lions

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:58:25 am »
Wow!

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:14:02 am »
Great video!
Here's the alternative - 8 hours of aerobic exercise!

Human Mammal, Human Hunter - Attenborough - Life of Mammals - BBC

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 01:15:58 pm »
Although some of the grammar is a little sketchy, overall I found this article interesting. It details findings from an incredibly well preserved woolly mammoth, including signs that humans took lion kills for their own food.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9185081/Discovered-woolly-mammoth-with-strawberry-blonde-hair.html

The ironic thing is that lions steal kills from other animals.

And it's way more efficient to just steal some animal's kills sometimes, rather than always doing your own hunting.

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:35:33 am »
I suspect this is the video you're both referring to:

Human Planet- Stealing Meat from Lions

That's the one! If these guys do it now, there's no reason to think they wouldn't have done it before!
insert signature here

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:12 am »
It's probably a common practice among the tribe. That takes guts. Scavenging in our earlier evolutionary species is what allowed our brains to grow. A much less tiresome and exhausting way to acquire food. Both videos were great though. I like the end of the second one, with the ceremonial burying and spiritualness of thanking the animal. After all we are not their masters but equals and share this planet with them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk