Author Topic: raw organic fermented soy sauce  (Read 15759 times)

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
Re: raw organic fermented soy sauce
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 10:52:55 am »
Dorothy: I always though it was kind of weird that products like tofu turkey (tofurkey?) were created by vegetarians/vegans. Not to pick on them mind you. But, think about it. Your giving up eating meat, but you have an insatiable taste for meat products that needs to be quenched. So you trick your senses and brain, by using products that emulate and taste like your eating Flesh. Does that not strike you as being a bit odd?

Offline Chris

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 11:02:42 am »
What about tamarind? That's a legume; do you consider eating that to also be sacrilegious? I don't doubt that it was done with some humor, yet I think we might be better served if we disposed of using the term "sacrilege" in reference to our dietary habits. What say let's leave that to the most extreme of the vegans and other fanatics, eh?

Soy is an anti-nutrient! It has no place in human or animal nutrition (IMO). It's place does not belong in the RPD at all. But, that's just my opinion. If you want to use it, go right ahead, it won't offend me. I'm just saying. I encourage each and every one of you, to google and learn more about the detriments of soy.

Offline Chris

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 11:06:49 am »
What about tamarind? That's a legume; do you consider eating that to also be sacrilegious?

Yes I do. Legume's do not belong in the RPD either. I was surprised you brought something so elementary to the forum as that. You should know legume's are off limits.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:12 am »
Hi Chris. It is weird in a way - but so is everything to me including me! It's just about making something alternative fit into standard names, phrases and labels that can be recognized. When I was a vegan all those strange names for fake meats freaked me out actually. I would have preferred something more like tofu surprise. ;)

Soy beans don't bother me at all and neither do other legumes. Sometimes I crave them and they taste and feel wonderful. But I'm such not a believer. I eat whatever feels right and good. It's just that raw paleo is the label that fits the closest to what usually feels the best that I am here. Nothing is "off limits" to me. Like Phil alluded to - for me - nothing is "sacred" when it comes to foods. I am delighted to have shed the religiosity of diets.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 07:29:04 pm »
Quote from: PaleoPhil on Yesterday at 08:10:33 pm
What about tamarind? That's a legume; do you consider eating that to also be sacrilegious?
Yes I do. Legume's do not belong in the RPD either. I was surprised you brought something so elementary to the forum as that. You should know legume's are off limits.
That depends on your definition of "Paleo." One of the earliest Paleo diet authors, Dr. Boyd Eaton, considers some legumes "Paleo." There are concerns, yes, but I think Dr. Cordain went overboard in his concerns with them. I suspect that even Dr. Cordain considered his list of prohibited foods as more of a rough guideline than absolute dogma. He has changed his mind on some of the foods.

Tamarind is an African legume fruit that's edible raw, I wouldn't be surprised if it was consumed during the Paleolithic and I've seen no solid evidence yet for it being harmful. I don't find opinions regarding what's sacrilegious or off limits particularly convincing. So perhaps we can agree to disagree on this.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:41:07 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Chris

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 12:53:32 am »
. So perhaps we can agree to disagree on this.
Fair enough. I do respect your opinions on the subject matter, even if we don't see eye to eye on a few things. Interesting info regarding the tamarind.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:29 am »
My favorite legume has to be vanilla, and then second would be peas. I love eating fresh green peas right out of the garden. Yum.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 07:41:31 am »
Fair enough. I do respect your opinions on the subject matter, even if we don't see eye to eye on a few things.
Cool, thanks.
My favorite legume has to be vanilla, and then second would be peas. I love eating fresh green peas right out of the garden. Yum.
Are you sure? Multiple online sources claim that vanilla is the pod of an orchid, rather than a legume. That does bring another legume to mind, though--the so-called "cinnamon" that is sold as a spice in American supermarkets. Lots of Paleo dieters eat that without realizing that it is various species of the legume cassia, aka bastard cinnamon, and some anti-legume Paleo dieters even attribute health benefits to it! I suspect that legumes like wild African groundnuts, tamarinds and legume tubers were a significant source of magnesium during Paleo times (though likely not Stone Agers' favorite staple foods by any means), but I don't have a lot of evidence yet to support that (though primitive African hunter gatherers like traditional Hadza people do eat these legumes--and often raw!--as do chimps and other primates, as our fellow member, Iguana, has pointed out in the past). It is true that green peas, tamarinds, wild African groundnuts, legume tubers and other legumes are edible raw, so it's difficult to imagine why our ancient ancestors wouldn't have consumed those present in their habitat.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:51:46 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 08:13:34 am »
You're right Phil. Vanilla does come from an orchid. Are there no orchids that are in the legume family? Probably you are right. It's probably just a pod. I wonder why I thought it was a legume. Some brain misfirings I guess.

Ok - Peas are my favorite legume then! :D

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 08:54:52 am »
Better than tamarinds and bambara groundnuts?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 08:57:28 am »
Better than tamarinds and bambara groundnuts?

I didn't like tamarinds when I tried them right from the tree - but that might have changed as that was many decades ago at this point. Bambara groundnuts sound scrumptious and I bet I will like them the best ... that is when and if I ever get to try them! What do they taste like?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:54 am »
I tried "raw" (dried at supposedly low temps) "jungle" groundnuts from S. America that are related and supposedly very similar to Bambara groundnuts. They seemed a bit lighter and better tasting than "raw" blanched peanuts, but nothing to write home about. I'm not a huge fan of tamarinds either, but I prefer tamarinds and groundnuts to most other legumes I can think of at the moment other than vanilla and so-called "cinnamon".

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 05:54:37 am »
Just because of this conversation today I bought for a whopping twelve cents one tamarind pod from my usual store. It's funny that it is a legume because it's such a big pod that comes from a tree. I didn't realize that it was a legume until you told me Phil. I planted a tree in Florida but it didn't get to produce before I left.

So even though my pod traveled a long distance, probably was irradiated and old - it was really quite good! It's like many tropical fruits in that it is mostly big seeds. It was some work to eat it - but surprisingly enjoyable. Quite sweet.

I have a new food to enjoy now! ... and some seeds to plant. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk